Who's the TLFLG? (Truest Laker Fan on LG)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Who's the TLFLG? (Truest Laker Fan on LG)

I though it would be fun to discover who the "truest" Laker fan on LG is. List all pertinent qualifying and non-qualifying background. Let's be honest with each other. I think this could be fun.

-First (ever) favorite team: Bulls
-Second (ever) favorite team: Timberwolves
-First favorite player: KG
-First jersey: KG
-First "brush of love" with Lakers: watching a Lakers/Kings playoff game (Doug Christie, Mike Bibby, Vlade Divac, Webber etc) on a big-screen set up at my old preschool/temple, when I was 10 or 11
-First favorite Laker: Derek Fisher (framed photo)
-2 Lakers jerseys: gold Kobe #8 and Kobe All-Star Jersey (2007?)
- so excited about Bynum. remember reading the paper the day after we drafted him, going to SPL
-keep wanting to root for Clippers since they are an LA team too. so far unsuccessful.

just my own categories. Do this whichever way you want!
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

LL123:

You are wanting to be the Truest Laker Fan yet your first favorite team was the Damn Bulls followed by the Damn Timberwolves? First jersey was KG jersey?

I am glad that you now see the light, but I think that all of that T-pup stuff disqualifies you.
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
LL123:

You are wanting to be the Truest Laker Fan yet your first favorite team was the Damn Bulls followed by the Damn Timberwolves? First jersey was KG jersey?

I am glad that you now see the light, but I think that all of that T-pup stuff disqualifies you.

Actually, I was making the point that I am NOT the TLF by FAR - that's why I said "List all pertinent qualifying and non-qualifying background. Let's be honest with each other. I, myself, am willing to walk the walk of shame.

I would like to see the history of others - and find out who really IS the TLF!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Who's the TLFLG? (Truest Laker Fan on LG)

lakerlove123 wrote:
I though it would be fun to discover who the "truest" Laker fan on LG is. List all pertinent qualifying and non-qualifying background. Let's be honest with each other. I think this could be fun.

-First (ever) favorite team: Bulls
-Second (ever) favorite team: Timberwolves
-First favorite player: KG
-First jersey: KG
-First "brush of love" with Lakers: watching a Lakers/Kings playoff game (Doug Christie, Mike Bibby, Vlade Divac, Webber etc) on a big-screen set up at my old preschool/temple, when I was 10 or 11
-First favorite Laker: Derek Fisher (framed photo)
-2 Lakers jerseys: gold Kobe #8 and Kobe All-Star Jersey (2007?)
- so excited about Bynum. remember reading the paper the day after we drafted him, going to SPL
-keep wanting to root for Clippers since they are an LA team too. so far unsuccessful.

just my own categories. Do this whichever way you want!

I've always enjoyed this definition of "true fan": "A true fan is somebody who agrees completely and rigidly with the viewpoint of the person using the term. It's often uncanny, how your opinions are exactly those of a true fan."

But I'll play:

-First (ever) favorite team: Lakers
-Second (ever) favorite team: I like and admire a lot of teams, but don't really have a second favorite that I actively root for
-First favorite player: Jerry West
-First jersey: I remember I had a Lakers pennant hanging in my room as a kid, but don't recall if I had a jersey.
-First "brush of love" with Lakers: listening to Chick call games on an old transister radio
-First favorite Laker: Jerry West (as a kid, I wrote to him and somebody send me back a signed photo -- who knows if he signed it)
-2 Lakers jerseys: don't buy team jerseys
- went to Donald Sterling's house for an event many years ago (and got a thumbs up from Elgin Baylor when I hit a turnaround jumper in a pickup game at a basket that was set up on the lawn), but never really cared about the Clippers.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

-Second (ever) favorite team: None, but I've learned to respect MJ Bulls

-First favorite player: Kareem - still is. I became a Lakers fan after watching him play, it just happened that he was a Laker and it helps Magic was a rookie on that team.

-Favorite rookie: Kobe. Magic didn't play like a rookie at all, with Kobe it was more interesting.

-Favorite version of Kobe: Number 8.

-Favorite all star games: Young Kobe going after Jordan and Magic last game going after Jordan and Isiah Thomas

-First jersey: I don't remember my first jersey when I was a kid, but the first one that I bought by myself was a Shaq jersey.

-2 Lakers jerseys: Still have Shaq old jersey, Kobe number 8 and a couple of Gasol's jerseys that I bought my last time on Staples on a game against the Clippers. He was posterized by Griffin as always, but took over the game for us.

Last edited by nash on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Lakers all day everyday.
No 2nd favorite team. Just a team I don't like the least.
Magic and Mamba are why this blood runs purple and gold.
Magic is my first sports jersey ever.
First brush of love is pops taking me to Seattle to watch games as a kid.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

lakerlove123 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
LL123:

Actually, I was making the point that I am NOT the TLF by FAR - that's why I said "List all pertinent qualifying and non-qualifying background. Let's be honest with each other. I, myself, am willing to walk the walk of shame.

I would like to see the history of others - and find out who really IS the TLF!

Do appreciate the honesty:)
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject:

First favorite team: Lakers- I remember grandma always had the games on when I was a wee tike.

Other favorite teams- Why like any other teams? I grew up in LA and we happen to have the best NBA team on the planet in our home town. I will never understand Clipper fans. We have the Lakers, Clippers why?

I got to meet Magic, Kareem and Rambis at the Forum- my Mom worked for the company that did their insurance so I got go to the locker room one time back around 1981. Got to meet Dave Taylor too for any Kings fans out there.

Went to the 2001 ring ceremony game for my birthday. Still have that little replica ring.

I yelled: Sahsa you suck! really loudly one game and I swear he heard me.

I too was happy we drafted AB17 over Diogu.

Only have one KB8 jersey.

That's it for me.
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
First favorite team: Lakers- I remember grandma always had the games on when I was a wee tike.

Other favorite teams- Why like any other teams? I grew up in LA and we happen to have the best NBA team on the planet in our home town. I will never understand Clipper fans. We have the Lakers, Clippers why?

I got to meet Magic, Kareem and Rambis at the Forum- my Mom worked for the company that did their insurance so I got go to the locker room one time back around 1981. Got to meet Dave Taylor too for any Kings fans out there.

Went to the 2001 ring ceremony game for my birthday. Still have that little replica ring.

I yelled: Sahsa you suck! really loudly one game and I swear he heard me.

I too was happy we drafted AB17 over Diogu.

Only have one KB8 jersey.

That's it for me.

It takes a mama to love this child. That's why I actually have a pretty high respect for Clippers fans who have always loved their team out of pure love.

Regarding Sasha: lol. I swear I heard you saying that on the TV!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Favorite team and player.. Lakers and Magic. I am truly in awe of the Magic Man. Not just on the court, but how he tackled his disease. One thing I learn from Magic was not to dwell on the past, it doesn't help and only makes you weaker. I can see now how he was able to defeat HIV. I believe Magic exemplifies the power of the mind and positive thinking. People will say having the best medicine money can buy doesn't hurt, but there were plenty of other hiv infected rich celebrities who could not do what Magic did.

Second favorite team would have to be the Clippers, but I don't like them the way I did in my childhood. Simply because they're good now. I rooted for them because they were so bad and I felt sorry for them, and they were the only other source of basketball. I knew that if my Lakers weren't on kcal, there was a good chance Michael Cage (AC Green's jerry curl counterpart) and the gang were on ktla channel 5. And since I hate KD's move so much, I won't have a problem rooting for the Clippers over the Warriors this year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject:

I became a Laker fan in the 70's, my second favorite team was the Spirits of St. Louis. I am a Big 10 fan so Magic is my favorite Laker and Kareem is the undisputed GOAT. Due to the time difference, weekend Laker night games were shown on the St. Louis NBC channel after the late night news, so I would stay up and watch Laker games after the news. I am not a big jersey guy, the only one I own is a gift and is a Brian Urlacher jersey. Jerry Buss is a big cause of many of my enjoyment minutes over the past 40 years. To top it off, I watched every game the past three seasons, no matter how pitiful they were. And I would fight anyone who said anything bad about them.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Earvin Kobe Jabbar is my legal name;

#ThreadClosed
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I am.

Tied for first with 30 million other people around the world.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject:

-First (ever) favorite team: The Lakers
-Second (ever) favorite team: Magic for about a season. I really liked Penny Hardaway. When the Lakers were eliminated, I would root for the Magic.
-First favorite player: There were a few: John Starks, Anthony Peeler, Eddie Jones and Penny Hardaway
-First jersey: Shaq no 34
-First "brush of love" with Lakers: NVE game winner against SAS, playoffs, 1995.
-First favorite Laker: Kobe (bleep) Bryant
-Have a Sundway white Kobe Jersey 24 and a home gold Kobe no. 8 that I haven't worn in about 10 years. No guy in their 30's should wear bball jerseys except for a game.
- was excited about Kobe being drafted. Told my fellow classmates (and Bulls bandwagoners) that one day he'll be better than Jordan.
NEVER rooted for the Clippers
NEVER liked Jordan (I was more of a Pippen guy)
NEVER like the Bulls.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's the TLFLG? (Truest Laker Fan on LG)

Really, anybody who has stuck with the Lakers through the last five years or so.

--Anonymous

Last edited by Annihilator on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
I am.

Tied for first with 30 million other people around the world.

44-25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

-First (ever) favorite team: The Lakers
-Second (ever) favorite team: Magic with Shaq

-First favorite player: There were a few: West,Wilt,Nate Archibald

-First jersey: I hate to say it - Jordan

-First "brush of love" with Lakers: 71 lakers 33 game streak

-First favorite Laker: West

Best moments: Magic Johnson draft

Worst moments: West retirement. Magic Johnson TV announcement leaving basketball
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject:

-Second (ever) favorite team: None! But have always respected the real deal competition.

-First favorite player: Jerry West, Loved watching that West/Baylor/Wilt/Goodrich team. Then the Magic Kareem teams, all the way to Kobe and Shaq, how lucky we have all been to see all or at least some of these teams.

-First jersey: West. I believe, or was it Goodrich?

-First "brush of love" with Lakers: listening to Chick on a transistor radio as activeverb above mentioned.

-First favorite Laker: Kobe. before him West and magic, think Kareem is the GOAT, Wilt was special too.

Family has had season seats for 47 years now, . Only get to 4 to 5 games now due to living far from LA. I am so dedicated that, no matter where I am, be it in Europe for example, when laker games are on at 3:30 to 6:00Am I watch the whole game. Never miss a game. A few times I went the DVR route, but I watch them all. Even when out at sea, or at a remote island when sailing the main reason I have satellite is for the lakers. Even more important than rescue reasons ( )...
Our family sold land to Wilt Chamberlain in the Santa Monica mountains, plus sold him my dads Pantera on a totally different occasion.

Time fly's, but one thing never changes, I will always bleed Purple and gold....
Alpha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject:

I that would be DB as he bought and runs this best dang Laker, heck sports team message board!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:
I that would be DB as he bought and runs this best dang Laker, heck sports team message board!

Co-sign, although Phil will always be the emeritus choice for me.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject:

I've always been a huge Lakers fan, but am often humbled by the dedication, knowledge and passion of some of the folks on this board. So it's definitely not me, altho I do rep the P n G wherever I go
gaogi
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject:

-Second (ever) favorite team: Never rooted for another team
-First favorite player: Byron Scott. One of my favorite players, but my least favorite coach. Who remembers those Reebok Pump commercials he did in the 80's?
-First jersey: Never bought a jersey, but did buy a 1988 World Champion T-shirt with the caricature of the entire team.
-First "brush of love" with Lakers: watching the Lakers win back to back championships against Detroit in 88.
-First favorite Laker: Byron Scott -> NVE -> Kobe
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject:

-Second (ever) favorite team: Never rooted for another team

First Laker memory: Kobe airballing @Utah in the playoffs. Also constantly confusing Eddie Jones and Kobe on the court because #8 and #6 look too similar on non HD Television.

-First favorite player: Kobe. Only player I ever cured about.

-First Laker jersey: Kobe in 1999 when I was 6 going on 7. Wore the correct home/away jersey every single game(never missed one), with corresponding arm band and Kobe shoes, Until I was like 11.

-First "brush of love" with Lakers: Kobe's breakout year in 98-99. my first diehard year of not missing a game. Used to print out his stat sheet from NBA.com and take it to 1st grade and just stare at his good averages that year. I still remember his averages from his first few years in the league off that.

Favorite game that 98-99 year was his tip-in FT winner @GoldenState. I'm not sure if that's the same game @goldenstate where he missed a few fast break layups and it was super weird.
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject:

-Second (ever) favorite team: Whereever Jason Williams or Jeremy Lin played
-First favorite player: Jerry West
-First jersey: Kobe
-First "brush of love" with Lakers: watching a Laker game on channel 9 and seeing West miss a bunch of shots during the game. 3 seconds left on the clock, they pass it to West who drains a jumper to win the game.
-First favorite Laker: Jerry West
-Lakers jerseys: gold Kobe #8 (autographed), gold Lin and gold Russell (autographed)
- rooting for Jim Buss to succeed and not a fan of Phil the person.
- use to always cringe when Smush Parker took a shot.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

I'm truest of all.

/thread.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: