Ex-Jets/USC RB Joe McKnight Dead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Ex-Jets/USC RB Joe McKnight Dead

Shot in New Orleans. RIP.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/01/ex-jet-joe-mcknight-killed-in-new-orleans-shooting/

Quote:
NFL Verified account
‏@NFL
Former Jets RB Joe McKnight has passed away: http://on.nfl.com/mYQuXn #RIP

Quote:
Tyrann Mathieu Verified account ‏@Mathieu_Era 29m29 minutes ago
Everybody in the world wanted to be @ReggieBush , us in New Orleans wanted to run the ball like Joe McKnight.

Quote:
Reggie Bush Verified account ‏@ReggieBush 52m52 minutes ago
RIP my brother Joe McKnight this one hurts bad

Quote:
ANTONIO CROMARTIE Verified account ‏@CRO31 58m58 minutes ago
Just got a message saying my former teammate Joe McKnight was killed today. This hurt to the heart. I can't stop crying. #RestInPeace

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Isn't this the 2nd NFL player killed in New Orleans in a road rage incident?
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Isn't this the 2nd NFL player killed in New Orleans in a road rage incident?

I belleve so...yes, Will Smith the former Saints DE back in April.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A witness at the scene told the newspaper the victim, McKnight, was trying to apologize to another man who was yelling at him. The shooter fired more than once then stood over McKnight’s body and said, “I told you don’t you f— with me,” before firing again, the witness said.

Such evil.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject:

This was in the afternoon too. Seems like there are a lot of people one incident from snapping.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject:

So senseless. My thoughts go out to his family. I know this type of loss and they've got a very tough road ahead of them. He was one of my favorite players to watch at USC. This is a damn shame.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Really sad, New Orleans and the surrounding areas are a hell hole.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Jefferson Parish Sheriff Newell Normand gives details of the shooting death of former NFL player Joe McKnight on Behrman Highway in Terrytown on Thursday afternoon, December 1, 2016
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Really sad, New Orleans and the surrounding areas are a hell hole.

10 people were shot just last week, on Bourbon St. 1 killed.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
This was in the afternoon too. Seems like there are a lot of people one incident from snapping.

It is a highly depressed area.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject:

This is so sad and stupid. Even if you had a gun , you can always drive off. Only way this would be justified is if McKnight trapped the shooter's car from maneuvering .
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
This is so sad and stupid. Even if you had a gun , you can always drive off. Only way this would be justified is if McKnight trapped the shooter's car from maneuvering .

What do you mean?
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject:

http://deadspin.com/joe-mcknights-alleged-killer-has-a-previous-arrest-on-r-1789631180

I don't know how they're going to maneuver out from under the crushing weight of these inconvenient details, but it's a travesty that the individual who took McKnight's life is enjoying unsupervised freedom in the community right now. If the details of this previous arrest and the details provided by purported witnesses in this killing don't warrant detention, we're all (bleep) ... do they need a signed confession, accompanied by a self-narrated audio + video recording of the incident? What the (bleep) already ...
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:
A witness at the scene told the newspaper the victim, McKnight, was trying to apologize to another man who was yelling at him. The shooter fired more than once then stood over McKnight’s body and said, “I told you don’t you f— with me,” before firing again, the witness said.

Such evil.

Sounds like a great movie scene
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject:

People are nuts when they get behind the wheel....perhaps instead of getting out of the car to confront a potential aggressor when you get into a road rage incident, drive to the nearest police station and report it there.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

Such evil.

Sounds like a great movie scene

Yup. Fictional. Just like in the movies.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
http://deadspin.com/joe-mcknights-alleged-killer-has-a-previous-arrest-on-r-1789631180

I don't know how they're going to maneuver out from under the crushing weight of these inconvenient details, but it's a travesty that the individual who took McKnight's life is enjoying unsupervised freedom in the community right now. If the details of this previous arrest and the details provided by purported witnesses in this killing don't warrant detention, we're all (bleep) ... do they need a signed confession, accompanied by a self-narrated audio + video recording of the incident? What the (bleep) already ...

I think the issue is you can't arrest and detain him indefinitely; you're going to have to charge him.

At this point they don't know what to charge him with. Is it murder, manslaughter? They want the DA to decide and they feel he's not going anywhere. I think they will eventually charge him w/ something.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
the association wrote:

I think the issue is you can't arrest and detain him indefinitely; you're going to have to charge him.

At this point they don't know what to charge him with. Is it murder, manslaughter? They want the DA to decide and they feel he's not going anywhere. I think they will eventually charge him w/ something.

I hear you, but I'm also aware of nothing at this point that would have prevented them from detaining him on a manslaughter charge (to be filed within the applicable time limit), for example, and then superseding later with a second degree murder indictment ...

I guess the legal beagles can weigh-in, but this doesn't smell right to me ...
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
the association wrote:

I hear you, but I'm also aware of nothing at this point that would have prevented them from detaining him on a manslaughter charge (to be filed within the applicable time limit), for example, and then superseding later with a second degree murder indictment ...

I guess the legal beagles can weigh-in, but this doesn't smell right to me ...

Should JPSO have arrested Joe McKnight's shooter? Experts disagree

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/12/joe_mcknight_arrest_race.html
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject:

Charged with Manslaughter. Was watching the press conference live when the sheriff launched into a description of the shooters statements and MSNBC had to cut away. Definitely NSFW.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Charged with Manslaughter. Was watching the press conference live when the sheriff launched into a description of the shooters statements and MSNBC had to cut away. Definitely NSFW.

I haven't had an opportunity to factcheck, but I've read elsewhere that the Sheriff and the shooter shared a significant social affiliation ("Many people are saying ..."). By extension, some had surmised that he elected not to detain the shooter as a courtesy to permit him to attend to his affairs before the eventuality that he would be detained on charges of one kind or another.

Regardless, I have to admit that the opening salvo of a manslaughter charge concerns me, particularly if a superseding indictment doesn't appear on the horizon. At this point, I don't expect to see a conviction here. Without incontrovertible evidence that McKnight brandished a firearm and at least pointed it at the shooter, there was no legitimate justification for this shooting and this may shape up as another miscarriage of justice, IMO. And I know, AH ... the laws in this jurisdiction might hold otherwise. But that doesn't make it any more right in my book ...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

if he gets away with this then they are pretty much saying you can drive around in your car antagonizing people, and if they take one step towards your car you can blast away because you "feared for your life"
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/26/joe-mcknights-killer-found-guilty-of-manslaughter/

Quote:
Joe McKnight’s killer found guilty of manslaughter

A jury found Ronald Gasser guilty of manslaughter in the shooting death of former NFL running back Joe McKnight, via multiple reports.

The Jefferson (La.) Parish jury deliberated more than seven hours before reaching their verdict.

Gasser faces up to 40 years in prison. He could have faced life in prison for a second-degree murder conviction. The judge in the case will decide how many years he serves.

Defense attorneys argued Gasser fired in self-defense after a road-rage incident in the December 2016 shooting.

McKnight played for the University of Southern California and was a fourth-round pick of the Jets in 2010. He played four NFL seasons, including one with the Chiefs, and rushed for 505 career yards.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

I hope he gets a max sentence. 40 years would be perfect.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/15/joe-mcknights-killer-gets-30-years/

Quote:
Joe McKnight’s killer gets 30 years

The man who shot and killed former NFL running back Joe McKnight will pay a step price for the crime. Ronald Gasser has been sentenced to 30 years in prison.

“Let this be a cautionary tale to all drivers who rage behind the wheel of their car at other drivers,” Judge Ellen Kovach said at the sentencing hearing, via NOLA.com. She added that McKnight’s death could have been avoided if Gasser simply “had the good sense, the courage and the wisdom to simply disengage.”

Gasser’s lawyers tried to argue that the shooting of McKnight, which happened in a fit of road rage, fell within the confines of the state’s definition of justifiable homicide, arguing that McKnight lunger into Gasser’s car. The evidence, however, contradicted a shooting in such close quarters.

Prosecutors had charged Gasser with second-degree murder. The conviction came on a lesser-included charge of manslaughter.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: