Quarter Mile Mark: Things to Be Optimistic and Happy About ("I LOVE BASKETBALL")
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Quarter Mile Mark: Things to Be Optimistic and Happy About ("I LOVE BASKETBALL")

I cannot begin to tell you just how happy and pleased I am with this team. The summer started out with so much negativity with lackluster FA signings and glum prognostications about our team. Most NBA pundits had the Lakers winning around 22-24 games, and finishing around the bottom 3. I personally had a pretty intense debate with a number of posters here about my hypothesis that the Tank was dead.

With that backdrop, we are now 10-10, basically tied for the 8th spot. IIRC, we are 6-7 against current-playoff teams, meaning, with the exception of the Warriors beat downs, we show up against tough teams. But here are the specific things I'm happy and thankful about (and please post yours).

1. Luke Walton. He will likely be our biggest FA signing since Shaq. Like our 19, 20, and 22 year old young core, he too should be considered part of the young core. This isn't even prime Coach Luke and he's having this team play like a playoff squad. He has restored the joy of basketball to a team that played like they were dreading it the last 2 years. Even if he doesn't have the most talented squad compared to other playoff teams, he has gotten every single ounce of talent out of each rotational player to great efficacy. The Lakers coaching seat is probably his until he no longer wants it. What a coup he was to get.

2. Young Core. It is still mind boggling that 5 of our best players are age 19, 20, 22, 23, and 24. If at this precocious stage they are helping a team play playoff-level ball, imagine what happens when they enter their prime? I am pretty dead set against trading them at this point. We are inculcating a culture that will grow with these young kids. We are not in a position to challenge the Warriors or Cavs right now, so why not germinate this group and let them grow? We still have a max slot to play around with this upcoming summer. The young core also exudes professionalism and a dedication to the game that belies their young age.

3. Rebirth of Lou/Swaggy. I'll be the first to admit that I wanted no part of Swaggy. But he has resurrected his career and I'm happy to eat the Swag-crow. Lou is arguably the MVP of the team right now and showing why the Lakers sought him when he was a FA (and he is vastly outplaying his 7m/year deal right now).

4. Team Camaraderie It is so apparent to watch these guys interact with each other. They will fight for each other. This is why I'm against prematurely ripping apart this burgeoning core for the immediate satisfaction of getting a "big name," all for the futile purpose of having a first round exit. I'm well aware that the chances of keeping each one of the young core through their entire career is unlikely, but for the time being, it is important to maintain continuity and grow this squad.

5. Death of the Tank I am so happy that I no longer log on to Tankathon.com, or passively (sometimes actively) root for a loss just so we have more ping pong balls. I haven't even visited Draft Express nor have I caught any college games. We have our young guys and I'm satisfied with the fact in 3 years, we drafted:

2014: Randle/JC
2015: DLO/Nance
2016: Ingram/Zubac

I know some long for more 19 year olds, but we have a great crop of young kids to watch and cheer for. The dark cloud hanging over the team is no longer here. No more rooting for losses.

These are just a few things that make me elated about this team. Please feel free to share yours.

I just ask that the Deng-bashing or any other piss/moan be relegated to the usual other threads. There is so much more to be happy about on this team.

Go Lakers!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject:

I know the Luke Walton is the greatest FA signing since Shaq sounds like hyperbole, but you have potentially a coach who can grow with this team for the next 20 years. That's pretty amazing.

I think we dodged a bullet with Thibs. He's going to wear out the Wolves in a year or two.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject:

Good thread Y2001.

What makes the 10-10 record so amazing is that we probably would been better now if not for Russell missing multiple games and key players coming in and out of the rotations.

And to excite Laker fans even more, we are not even half way through the season.. Imagine if we start firing on all clynders or acquire a star player via trade.. this is just the beginning.. fasten your seatbelts and buckle up.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Good thread Y2001.

What makes the 10-10 record so amazing is that we probably would been better now if not for Russell missing multiple games and key players coming in and out of the rotations.

And to excite Laker fans even more, we are not even half way through the season.. Imagine if we start firing on all clynders or acquire a star player via trade.. this is just the beginning.. fasten your seatbelts!

I thought the notion of playoffs was crazy, but I'm a believer now and hoping we go for it. We may end up in the 8-10 range but I think there's a lot of good that comes out of fighting for a playoff spot.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Good thread Y2001.

And to excite Laker fans even more, we are not even half way through the season.. Imagine if we start firing on all clynders or acquire a star player via trade.. this is just the beginning.. fasten your seatbelts!

I thought the notion of playoffs was crazy, but I'm a believer now and hoping we go for it. We may end up in the 8-10 range but I think there's a lot of good that comes out of fighting for a playoff spot.

Agreed.

Having the team and young core gaining playoff experience this year will propel the team to a 50+ win team next year assuming everyone takes the next step.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject:

One of the more remarkable things is the quality of opponents the Lakers are beating. This team is young and therefore inconsistent, and can lose to a middling team on any given night, but when they're on their game they can be a very tough matchup, and I think they're going to get deeper into their playbook, better at communicating on defense, and more consistent as the season progresses.

I'm very hesitant to mess with the lineup in any major way right now until we see what we really have out there, injuries permitting. This team could be well north of .500 quality by season's end.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

Everytime I think the team is about to fall (due to injuries, tough schedule) the team surprises me with a win that keeps us at .500. I don't know how long we're gonna be able to sustain it but it's been a pretty amazing trip so far.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

Another underrated point is the fact that our team isn't reliant on 1 player (i.e. Westbrook, Harden). On any given night we have at least 4-5 players who can go off for 20+, and sometimes 2-3 players who do it on the same night.

Makes us difficult to stop in that sense.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Everytime I think the team is about to fall (due to injuries, tough schedule) the team surprises me with a win that keeps us at .500. I don't know how long we're gonna be able to sustain it but it's been a pretty amazing trip so far.

Read Black's quote on this Lakers team and mindset.

They know what the last few years was like and are making sure they don't end up there, read the post game quote to find out.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject:

Go Lakers !
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:

Yeah. But think about how we will have an easing of our schedule after the next half dozen games, DLO/Young coming back, and guys like Ingram/Randle getting better by the game.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
zePokar wrote:

Yeah. But think about how we will have an easing of our schedule after the next half dozen games, DLO/Young coming back, and guys like Ingram/Randle getting better by the game.

Yeah I think about that too. We could have a really special season.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject:

It also warms my heart to see the Tankerwolves still mired in the NBA cellar at this point. We're where they were expected to be.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject:

Pretty amazing. we're into DEC now and theres reason to be optimistic every game still.

Most amazing is how these guys are responding also. I understood the trades for Deng/Mos/Others. They fill the roles and provide a structure for the youth to develop within.

Without that you'd just have the blind leading the blind and the first fingers of the players point to the coach.

But even still.. everyone has been pretty very surprising with their performances.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject:

This team is literally at its infancy period, and we're 10-10 (6-7 against current playoff teams). We are a baby team and doing this!

Can you imagine in 2-3 years what this team will look like?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject:

It's discomforting that we're 4-3 against non-playoff teams because it's the same problem we've had for 3 years where we play down to the level of the opponent if they're bad

Yes the team is doing very well. But for me, I will know the team has cut the corner when they start winning the games they should win.

until then, and after as well: GO LAKERS

Last edited by Chronicle on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject:

Eating crow on Nick, Lou, Randle and Mozgov. Didn't think any of those 4 would be as good as they are currently. Nick I wanted off the team. Lou was a mindless chucker that had no concept of 'team ball.' Randle was a bull in china shop always go to left no jump shot player and I wanted Nance to start over him. Mozgov was a declining big man vastly overpaid with very little to offer - I thought Black would eventually earn a starting C spot over him.

Was wrong on all 4 preseason misconceptions. Happy to admit I was wrong.

This is like the anti piss & moan thread. Happy that we are playing both sides of court. Happy to see the effort. And excited to see the young core be this good currently with still SOOOOO MUCH room for improvement given how talented they are.

Last edited by Kava on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
It's discomforting that we're 4-3 against non-playoff teams because it's the same problem we've had for 3 years where we play down to the level of the opponent if they're bad

Yes the team is doing very well. But for me, I will know the team has cut the corner when they start winning the games they should win.

Yeah. 2 of our bigger blowouts were against the TWolves and Pels (the latter we basically had no DLO/Young, and Jules back from injury).

Those are the little things that a playoff team needs to master. Never playing down to an opponent. Every win matters.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
Eating crow on Nick, Lou, Randle and Mozgov. Didn't think any of those 4 would be as good as they are currently. Nick I wanted off the team. Lou was a mindless chucker that had no concept of 'team ball.' Randle was a bull in china shop always go to left no jump shot player and I wanted Nance to start over him. Mozgov was a declining big man vastly overpaid with very little to offer - I thought Black would eventually earn a starting C spot over him.

Was wrong on all 4 preseason preconceptions. Happy to admit I was wrong.

This is like the anti piss & moan thread. Happy that we are playing both sides of court. Happy to see the effort. And excited to see the young core be this good currently with still SOOOOO MUCH room for improvement given how talented they are.

This is like an 11 month old baby playing Chopin, albeit rough and choppy, but still...

We are the Baby Lakers and watch out when this baby grows up.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

Great thread.

I was wrong about a lot of things, especially Nick Young. I thought we would get rid of him, but he played his way onto the team and has been great for us this season. It feels like we signed a new player or something, lol.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject:

All you have to do is realize it took last year's team 52 games to win their 10th. This one did it in 20.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject:

1. I wanted Nick Young out before the season even started. Now I can't wait til he comes back from his injury.

2. I was all for trading J Randle for someone but now not even close. Randle is a huge part of this team's success and he looks like he is just getting started.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

until then, and after as well: GO LAKERS

Don't think we've been playing down to anyone the last three years. If anything, teams have been playing down to us..
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

What an outstanding post. Props.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject:

Nice thread big fella

You could add that the Laker brain trust seems to be growing.

Their analytics department is no longer lagging the field. Jim addressed his greatest performance issue which was coaching hires, deserving extra credit for not letting the prospects of bringing in a Phil friendly crew deter him from tapping the right guys including Shaw. Jeannie seems to be turning the page on Phil v Jim (though she is prone to relapse from time to time). Magic has shown love, including for DLO. Lots of good stuff.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: