Lakers vs celtics 30 for 30 coming soon

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dcastillo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 20 May 2009
Posts: 868

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Lakers vs celtics 30 for 30 coming soon

https://www.google.com/amp/www.si.com/tech-media/2016/12/04/espn-30-for-30-lakers-celtics-rivalry-new-details%3Famp%3D1

Can't wait! One of the few things that ESPN does great is the 30 for 30
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
12
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Sep 2010
Posts: 8009

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject:

This is going to be awesome! Can't wait.

In the teaser, they've only shown the Magic / Bird era. I wonder if they're going to thoroughly cover the whole rivalry from beginning to the present and include West and Kobe.

While I agree that the Showtime era really kicked this rivalry into high gear, I think the last 2 final match ups would be a great thing to cover.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Agent P
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 24 Jul 2015
Posts: 324
Location: Twin Falls, ID

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject:

I can't wait. This will be epic! So much content to cover, but these guys always do so well.
_________________
Reigning 2015 Lakers Ground Yahoo fantasy football league champion. See ya next year, suckas!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jun 2009
Posts: 2498

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Shaq never had the honor of being part of this rivalry. No Mikan either.
_________________
Smrek 2, Nevitt 1, Barkley 0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 16485

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
Shaq never had the honor of being part of this rivalry. No Mikan either.


Almost had a meet in 2002, but they couldn't dust off the Nets in the Conf Finals. If I'm Jason Kidd, I'm jelly of the critical reception AI got for taking the Sixers to the Finals. Try the New Jersey Nets(!) twice(!1). Talk about manning up.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL

WILBON PROPS NPZ's MAGIC MAN MIX ON PTI!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakerdynasty5.0
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Posts: 3560

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject:

I can wait (to #17)

#&@#&@%#@^ Chowderheads!
_________________
Starting Lakers Dynasty6.0! NOW!!
------
....." each year in Lakerland is marked by four seasons: Kobe’s Mad at His Teammates; Kobe’s Shooting Too Much; Kobe Leads the Victory Parade; Kobe Receives His Championship Ring."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 21516

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Awesome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Posts: 3707

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject:

This is gonna be great, but lets be real, probably the 30 for 30 that people want to see the most would be about Shaq and Kobe. They could break that one up into two parts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 21516

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
This is gonna be great, but lets be real, probably the 30 for 30 that people want to see the most would be about Shaq and Kobe. They could break that one up into two parts.



If they were together longer a 5 part series but yeah I think 2 parts could cover them.

However they are both retired but they haven't been gone long enough for both of them to agree to it I mean it took 20 years just to see Penny/Shaq's

Probably have to wait till 2024 for Shaq/Kobe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 21516

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/05/espn-films-presents-special-two-night-30-30-documentary-event-celticslakers-best-enemies/

Quote:
ESPN Films Presents Special Two-Night 30 for 30 Documentary Event “Celtics/Lakers: Best of Enemies”
By Carrie Kreiswirth
Posted on May 31, 2017
8234

Parts One and Two of the film will debut on Tuesday, June 13; Part Three on Wednesday, June 14.
Highlights include two narrators – Ice Cube for the Lakers and Donnie Wahlberg for the Celtics – plus interviews with key figures in the rivalry.
There are rivalries, and then there is the Celtics versus the Lakers. “Celtics/Lakers: Best of Enemies,” a five-hour 30 for 30 film event, chronicles the storied franchises’ epic clashes and relives the Boston-LA battle from both sides, with sensational footage and fresh, insightful interviews. The three-part documentary will premiere with Parts One and Two back-to-back on Tuesday, June 13, at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN and Part Three on Wednesday, June 14, at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN. Trailer: http://es.pn/2qBlXeQ.

Directed by Jim Podhoretz (The Gospel According to Mac) and Executive Produced by Jonathan Hock (Of Miracles and Men, The Best That Never Was), the film not only gets to the heart of the greatest tug-of-war in NBA history, but also shows how their three riveting NBA Finals match-ups over a four-year period in the mid-1980s fueled the popularity of the league, changed popular culture and set the stage for the tremendous growth and profile of the NBA since.

“I began my career at NBA Entertainment in 1985 (actually Jon Hock and I started on the same day), and I vividly remember being a 24-year-old production assistant and sitting courtside in the Boston Garden for the 1987 NBA Finals,” says Podhoretz. “While some of the Celtics-Lakers story has been chronicled before, we hope to bring to our production the experience of going through it from a visceral and highly partisan standpoint. We found the players that we interviewed to be totally engaged. The vivid details that they recall, the candid feelings, their hatred, their joy and their vulnerability are all out there for people to see.”

Viewers will witness the heroics, the buzzer-beaters and the fights. Thanks to Podhoretz, who began his career chronicling the Celtics for NBA Entertainment, they will also get an engaging history lesson–one that begins in the 1960s when the Celtics dominated the Lakers and continues with the 1979 NCAA Championship Game, when Larry Bird of Indiana State and Magic Johnson of Michigan State set the tone for a new chapter in the rivalry that would dominate the NBA in the ensuing decade.

“At the 30th anniversary of the last meeting in the NBA Finals between the Celtics and Lakers in the 1980s, we thought it was a great time to take an unprecedented look at the rivalry that helped shape what the league has become,” says 30 for 30 Executive Producer John Dahl. “And now with two new dominant teams – the Cavaliers and Warriors – meeting in the Finals for the third straight year, we believe this story is more relevant than ever.”

The two-night event will breakdown as follows:

Night One

Parts One and Two of the film not only trace the history, but also present a fabulous cast of characters who would change the NBA and open America’s collective mind. At the center of it all in the 1980s was a pair of brilliant basketball talents – Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. Bird’s Celtics and Magic’s Lakers circled each other for four years until they faced off in an epic NBA Finals in 1984.

Night Two

Part Three picks up the story right after the thrilling 1984 NBA Finals and then explores the saga from 1985 to 1987 as the teams’ disdain for each other gradually turns to respect. The Celtics and Lakers – Bird and Magic in particular – transformed the fans’ view of the game from simple black-and-white to full-blown Technicolor. By the end of their last battle of that era in 1987, while there was still animosity, they had also developed a hard-earned respect for each other. In the final analysis, it was a rivalry that forced America to no longer view the league in black and white.

Advance press screeners available upon request. Additional information, including film clips and director statements and bios, will be available on the 30 for 30 website espn.com/30for30. Follow 30 for 30 on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and join the conversation with hashtag #CelticsLakers. The full film will be available On Demand and streamed on the ESPN app, immediately following the ESPN debut of Parts One and Two on Tuesday, June 13. 30 for 30 is presented by Mini.
About ESPN Films

ESPN Films has been an industry leader in documentary filmmaking since its inception in March 2008, producing more than 100 documentaries that have showcased some of the most compelling stories in sports. The high quality of storytelling, highlighted by the Peabody and Emmy-Award winning 30 for 30 series and the Academy-Award winning documentary “O.J.: Made in America,” has led to record viewership as well as multiple honors and film festival appearances. Additional projects from ESPN Films over the years have included 30 for 30 Shorts, Nine for IX and the SEC Storied series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Batguano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 19 Mar 2015
Posts: 884

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/05/espn-films-presents-special-two-night-30-30-documentary-event-celticslakers-best-enemies/

Quote:
ESPN Films Presents Special Two-Night 30 for 30 Documentary Event “Celtics/Lakers: Best of Enemies”
By Carrie Kreiswirth
Posted on May 31, 2017
8234

Parts One and Two of the film will debut on Tuesday, June 13; Part Three on Wednesday, June 14.
Highlights include two narrators – Ice Cube for the Lakers and Donnie Wahlberg for the Celtics – plus interviews with key figures in the rivalry.
There are rivalries, and then there is the Celtics versus the Lakers. “Celtics/Lakers: Best of Enemies,” a five-hour 30 for 30 film event, chronicles the storied franchises’ epic clashes and relives the Boston-LA battle from both sides, with sensational footage and fresh, insightful interviews. The three-part documentary will premiere with Parts One and Two back-to-back on Tuesday, June 13, at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN and Part Three on Wednesday, June 14, at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN. Trailer: http://es.pn/2qBlXeQ.

Directed by Jim Podhoretz (The Gospel According to Mac) and Executive Produced by Jonathan Hock (Of Miracles and Men, The Best That Never Was), the film not only gets to the heart of the greatest tug-of-war in NBA history, but also shows how their three riveting NBA Finals match-ups over a four-year period in the mid-1980s fueled the popularity of the league, changed popular culture and set the stage for the tremendous growth and profile of the NBA since.

“I began my career at NBA Entertainment in 1985 (actually Jon Hock and I started on the same day), and I vividly remember being a 24-year-old production assistant and sitting courtside in the Boston Garden for the 1987 NBA Finals,” says Podhoretz. “While some of the Celtics-Lakers story has been chronicled before, we hope to bring to our production the experience of going through it from a visceral and highly partisan standpoint. We found the players that we interviewed to be totally engaged. The vivid details that they recall, the candid feelings, their hatred, their joy and their vulnerability are all out there for people to see.”

Viewers will witness the heroics, the buzzer-beaters and the fights. Thanks to Podhoretz, who began his career chronicling the Celtics for NBA Entertainment, they will also get an engaging history lesson–one that begins in the 1960s when the Celtics dominated the Lakers and continues with the 1979 NCAA Championship Game, when Larry Bird of Indiana State and Magic Johnson of Michigan State set the tone for a new chapter in the rivalry that would dominate the NBA in the ensuing decade.

“At the 30th anniversary of the last meeting in the NBA Finals between the Celtics and Lakers in the 1980s, we thought it was a great time to take an unprecedented look at the rivalry that helped shape what the league has become,” says 30 for 30 Executive Producer John Dahl. “And now with two new dominant teams – the Cavaliers and Warriors – meeting in the Finals for the third straight year, we believe this story is more relevant than ever.”

The two-night event will breakdown as follows:

Night One

Parts One and Two of the film not only trace the history, but also present a fabulous cast of characters who would change the NBA and open America’s collective mind. At the center of it all in the 1980s was a pair of brilliant basketball talents – Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. Bird’s Celtics and Magic’s Lakers circled each other for four years until they faced off in an epic NBA Finals in 1984.

Night Two

Part Three picks up the story right after the thrilling 1984 NBA Finals and then explores the saga from 1985 to 1987 as the teams’ disdain for each other gradually turns to respect. The Celtics and Lakers – Bird and Magic in particular – transformed the fans’ view of the game from simple black-and-white to full-blown Technicolor. By the end of their last battle of that era in 1987, while there was still animosity, they had also developed a hard-earned respect for each other. In the final analysis, it was a rivalry that forced America to no longer view the league in black and white.

Advance press screeners available upon request. Additional information, including film clips and director statements and bios, will be available on the 30 for 30 website espn.com/30for30. Follow 30 for 30 on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and join the conversation with hashtag #CelticsLakers. The full film will be available On Demand and streamed on the ESPN app, immediately following the ESPN debut of Parts One and Two on Tuesday, June 13. 30 for 30 is presented by Mini.
About ESPN Films

ESPN Films has been an industry leader in documentary filmmaking since its inception in March 2008, producing more than 100 documentaries that have showcased some of the most compelling stories in sports. The high quality of storytelling, highlighted by the Peabody and Emmy-Award winning 30 for 30 series and the Academy-Award winning documentary “O.J.: Made in America,” has led to record viewership as well as multiple honors and film festival appearances. Additional projects from ESPN Films over the years have included 30 for 30 Shorts, Nine for IX and the SEC Storied series.



All this sounds awesome.

I understand if the documentary is mostly focused on the Magic/Bird era of the rivalry, but as a 3-parter I really hope they don't just gloss over the 2008 and 2010 Finals or the Russell/Wilt era. I honestly feel we were cheated/deprived of a rubber match between those Kobe/Gasol/Odom vs KG/Pierce/Allen in 2009.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Posts: 559

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

Just wondering does anyone know a player that express his love for the Boston Celtics either as a team or their players (ie I'm a die hard Paul Pierce fan growing up). Boston has been getting a lot of players that was a lakers fan when they are young.

Pierce
Tatum
Isaiah
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Dec 2011
Posts: 22241

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

^Luke Walton was a Celtics fan growing up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB