Go Bruins! T.J. Leaf on Lakers radar?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject:

Steve Alford may need to put the reins on the next Ball brothers when they get to UCLA.

The youngest one is the cockiest player I've ever seen. Look at this highlight. Off the opening tip he pulls up for a damn near halfcourt shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9GP8c-FEIU
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
Steve Alford may need to put the reins on the next Ball brothers when they get to UCLA.

The youngest one is the cockiest player I've ever seen. Look at this highlight. Off the opening tip he pulls up for a damn near halfcourt shot.

I think he's the most talented brother.

Top 3 Pick: Fultz, Ball, Tatum

New #27 since all my guys jumped up:
Semi Ojeleye, Josh Hart, Wesley Iwundu, Swanigan (pending workouts), Monte Morris (do have question marks), Devonte Graham
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:

I don't think the middle one will be very good at all at UCLA. He's not very athletic and plays like a YMCA player in most of his clips.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:

I don't think the middle one will be very good at all at UCLA. He's not very athletic and plays like a YMCA player in most of his clips.

Depends. I don't know height and wingspan, but if he bulks up and ends up like another Georges Niang with a purer 3pt. shot, he's legit too.

Semi Ojeleye, Josh Hart, Wesley Iwundu, Swanigan (pending workouts), Monte Morris (do have question marks), Devonte Graham
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject:

LaMelo is considered in some circles as the most talented overall of the 3 Ball brothers. Lonzo the best passer, LiAngelo the best shooter, and LaMelo the best overall skill. So far Lonzo has shown to be an elite passer. LiAngelo will need to slim a bit down to even be considered an NBA prospect, and even then his athleticism isn't on the level of his brothers right now so we'll see how that turns out. He'll take over Bryce Alford's role as the shooter next season anyways.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
rwongega wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Eh. We beat the same Kensucky team last year and didn't even make the tourney towards the end because DaddyBall kept giving crucial and long minutes to his son, who's worse than a turnstile on D and never met a shot he didn't brick. Bryce's severe deficiencies on defense exposed the rest of the team, the horrendous shot selection, and lack of leadership caused them to toil in a funk. Right now Alford is being bailed out by two talents in Ball/Leaf, as well as mercifully less shots for Bryce, but it remains to be seen if that's enough down the stretch.

Here is the typical "blame everything on the Alfords" UCLA fan in his natural habitat LG. Hiding behind a keyboard and trashing a college kid who has had a good career. All while ignoring that they've been in the sweet 16 2/3 years they've been there and winning a pac 12 tournament title. Giving him no credit for recruiting those players who are "bailing" him out or for implementing the system that has allowed them to have a ton of success so far.

Alford's a good coach and his son is a good college player who has hit more big shots at UCLA than anybody I can remember. Now that he's had time to build the roster he wants and implement the type of system he wants your still not going to give him any credit? Not surprising coming from the typical "blame everything on the Alford's" fan but disappointing nonetheless. Quit looking for reasons to hate them and be happy about what they are doing.

Oh look, here's an LG member with nothing to contribute to the discussion other than crying "keyboard warrior". Ben Howland went to 3 straight Final Fours. Look where he is now. So to claim 2 years of Sweet 16's is an accomplishment is laughable. And if you've watched the games, you'd realize, Bryce wouldn't have to play pretend Jordan if he'd play a little defense and tried to overachieve despite his grossly limited athleticism. No doubt, Bryce would make a fine player for some mid-major team, but this is UCLA. There's a degree of success beyond the managed expectations you're trying to acclaim for the program that Wooden built.

The game evolved past Howlands style of coaching and he had years of struggles after the final four runs. UCLA fans haven't given Alford a fair shake and the ridicule his son constantly receives is an embarrassment to the fan base. He's not a PG yet was forced to play PG because nobody else on the roster could. This year he's been allowed to play his natural role and has done well. 2 sweet sixteens isn't anything incredible but it's an accomplishment nonetheless.

I watched the games as well as you but the difference is I understand what is actually going on while you look for reasons to hate a kid that has had a very good career at UCLA. I've had this discussion and it always goes in circles so I'll just leave you with this. Alford had a vision of a high paced showtime type UCLA program and it is starting to come to fruition. Instead of searching for the negatives, be happy about what he's built. It took longer than some expected but with another elite class next year, I think UCLA is about to return to the top of the college basketball world.

I am almost as big a UCLA BB fan as I am a Lakers fan, however the UCLA fan base is the worst group of fans I have ever seen anywhere. Most of their forums are downright unreadable. They won't give any coach any time to build a program without demanding he be fired. There is NO ability to appreciate the journey. It is a complete win now or melt down attitude. Beyond that, they have very little ability to analyze and talk intelligently with anyone who sees things differently than they do. If you take the smallest thing they say and present a different way of looking at it, they will rip you a new a-hole as big as the Sun, and they will send all their friends at you and pour it on.

They are fans who think they are owed championships and expect every coach to be as good as Wooden. They are a complete mess.

The ONLY forum I have found for them that is worth any time what so ever is Bruin Gold. Bruin Zone and Bruin Nation are about 99% douche bags, can't stand either of their sites and have completely quit going there.

Never argue with stupid people! They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!! - Twain
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
I am almost as big a UCLA BB fan as I am a Lakers fan, however the UCLA fan base is the worst group of fans I have ever seen anywhere. Most of their forums are downright unreadable. They won't give any coach any time to build a program without demanding he be fired. There is NO ability to appreciate the journey. It is a complete win now or melt down attitude. Beyond that, they have very little ability to analyze and talk intelligently with anyone who sees things differently than they do. If you take the smallest thing they say and present a different way of looking at it, they will rip you a new a-hole as big as the Sun, and they will send all their friends at you and pour it on.

They are fans who think they are owed championships and expect every coach to be as good as Wooden. They are a complete mess.

The ONLY forum I have found for them that is worth any time what so ever is Bruin Gold. Bruin Zone and Bruin Nation are about 99% douche bags, can't stand either of their sites and have completely quit going there.

That's not true at all. When Howland was hired, they were extremely supportive of him for years. When he started to lose his way the tide turned, and rightfully so. Same thing with Rick Neuheisel. Very supportive until he was in over his head. But too many failures and changes has led to a lot of doubt. Mora's hiring wasn't very inspiring but there was hope was that he'd change the culture and he's taken huge steps back the last two seasons. Alford also wasn't inspiring but a lot of it was due to the Pierre Pierce situation. And all of this skepticism is on Dan Guerrero and Gene Block since they're in charge of the overall athletic programs.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Oregon is still the best team in the Pac-12 considering they ended both UCLA and USC's undefeated streaks this week.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Oregon is still the best team in the Pac-12 considering they ended both UCLA and USC's undefeated streaks this week.

I disagree with that. Oregon is more mature physically, but tough losses mid-season make better tournament teams.

BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I disagree with that. Oregon is more mature physically, but tough losses mid-season make better tournament teams.

Losing on a buzzer beater @ Oregon is nothing to write a team off for. That was a great game and both teams will benefit from it going forward.
Steve007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

UCLA is reminding me of the Clippers. Look flashy and score a lot against weak to average teams, but lose to the good teams and don't play enough defense and don't rebound enough. Going to be tough to win the conference now and a 1 seed in March looks unlikely. So frustrating.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
UCLA is reminding me of the Clippers. Look flashy and score a lot against weak to average teams, but lose to the good teams and don't play enough defense and don't rebound enough. Going to be tough to win the conference now and a 1 seed in March looks unlikely. So frustrating.

Early season seeding is pretty meaningless. You gotta see how the team plays around February-March. This is why I think their #3 ranking is pretty optimistic.
Steve007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

^I think this is huge if they want a #1 seed though. Imagine if they were 2-0 against Oregon and Arizona right now. Those were the two most important conference games so far and they dropped both of them.

Getting that #1 seed in March is so huge. These losses can easily come back to haunt them and now they will have to play even better to get that #1 seed.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
^I think this is huge if they want a #1 seed though. Imagine if they were 2-0 against Oregon and Arizona right now. Those were the two most important conference games so far and they dropped both of them.

Getting that #1 seed in March is so huge. These losses can easily come back to haunt them and now they will have to play even better to get that #1 seed.

Those losses really hurt their chances in conference but I don't see the importance in getting a 1 seed over a 2 or 3 seed. Minor difference IMO
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

TJ Leaf got exposed bigtime on PnR defense by Arizona.

Steve007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Those losses really hurt their chances in conference but I don't see the importance in getting a 1 seed over a 2 or 3 seed. Minor difference IMO

Really? IMO the difference is massive, especially for a team that plays no defense. A 3 seed would really be awful for this team. 3 seeds rarely make the Final Four and are probably more likely to get knocked out before the Elite 8. The 1 seed on the other hand tends to have a much easier road to The Final Four. It's really not that difficult for a 1 seed to make the Elite 8 because they tend to have very favorable matchups in their bracket.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
TJ Leaf got exposed bigtime on PnR defense by Arizona.

On the other hand, Markonnen looked like a top 5 pick. The battle of the freshman PFs was painfully one sided on Saturday.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject:

USC beats UCLA....do you guys still think UCLA is that good?
Steve007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject:

UCLA is starting to look like a 3 or 4 seed at best, and a Sweet 16 team instead of a Final 4 team. And chances would be higher they don't even make the Sweet 16.

If Alford leads another team to a Sweet 16 loss it will feel like Steve Lavin is coaching again.

Last edited by Steve007 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Also UCLA and USC have almost identical records now. UCLA just looks more flashy, and can still say they beat Kentucky on the road, but USC dominated the head to head matchup.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
USC beats UCLA....do you guys still think UCLA is that good?

Even as a UCLA alum, I never bought the hype though Ball is definitely a stud (7 TO's tonight not withstanding). Right now teams are figuring out how we play. We have defensive sieves in athletically limited Welsh and Alford with Leaf not really making an effort on D. Even the hottest shooting teams cool off so deny the flashy playmaking of Ball and make Alford shoot (which he did at 1-7). $C also put up a 2011 Mavs level of shooting. You want a higher seeding to stay West but this team so far isn't looking the part. Saving grace is other top teams have struggled of late so there's still time.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
UCLA is starting to look like a 3 or 4 seed at best, and a Sweet 16 team instead of a Final 4 team. And chances would be higher they don't even make the Sweet 16.

If Alford leads another team to a Sweet 16 loss it will feel like Steve Lavin is coaching again.

UCLA has better individual talent, that part is true as Ball and Leaf are sure fire NBA 1st rounders.
USC has the better coach though and better offensive system if you look at how Andy Enfield has harnessed lesser talent to its full potential.
Also the USC team is older and these guys have played with each other for a couple of years compared to UCLA, whom are leaning on freshmen players.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:
Bryce Alford absolutely belongs on the floor for UCLA. He's a career 38% 3 pt shooter and about 83% from the line. Plus he doesn't turn the ball over much. He's played about 35 minutes a game the last 3 years and only averages 2 turnovers the game.

I have no clue why any UCLA fan wouldn't be ecstatic over what Steve Alford has done with that program. They very well could win a national title this year, or next season even if Lonzo doesn't want to come back and play with his brother.

This has been a long road back for UCLA, but they are absolutely back given the talent on the team, in the pipeline, and the coach on the sidelines. What we are seeing this year is heck of lot better basketball than watching Steve Lavin's underachieving roll the ball out act, and Ben Howland's style of taking great talent and making them play ugly basketball.

He doesn't turn it over because once the ball hits him, he chucks it. A career sub-40% shooter belongs? Please. Aaron Holiday has had better performance and he's relegated to the bench.

That's a big exaggeration. It's the turnovers that's held Aaron back, per his coach. The mantra this year from Coach Alford is "value the possession", meaning take a good shot or pass now". Unfortunately, the ball stops with Aaron or it's not used creatively, positively.

Aaron isn't relegated to the bench, he's the player who is brought off the bench to replace the first small who needs rest or gets foul trouble. There are more reasons. His defensive play is good generally but there are big holes. He gets in quick foul trouble. He hasn't yet learned how to work as well defensively with Lonzo as Isaac. He exposes Lonzo to trouble all the time with steal attempts that don't pay off. He plays out of control in the offense, to the detriment of the flow of the ball. He does not set up others well. His drives to the hoop end more often than not with no score and him falling out of bounds, the opponent scoring in transition. Aaron's a valuable part of what the Bruins do, but he's probably being used in his optimum role: bring a defensive attitude off the bench and a decent spot-up shooter in relief to the other three smalls. He'll develop, hopefully.
Steve007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Even after the win over Oregon the selection committee has UCLA as a 4th seed in the East Region and 15th overall. Wow. They could go out quickly with that seeding and the chances of making it past the third game look slim.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/bracket-beat/2017-02-11/march-madness-top-16-seeds-revealed-first-ever-season
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

^That's an unjustified position for UCLA. Pac12 is more talented than usual.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: