Los Angeles Lakers Not Getting Their Money's Worth in Luol Deng
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Los Angeles Lakers Not Getting Their Money's Worth in Luol Deng

Hey all,

Here's my latest at @BleacherReport
Los Angeles Lakers Not Getting Their Money's Worth in Luol Deng.

Also, Lou scoring,retro Swaggy, Zubac, Lakers injured, injured and then injured some more

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2680163-los-angeles-lakers-not-getting-their-moneys-worth-in-luol-deng

Here's something from the weekend on rule changes I was able to discover re: trades and protecting picks - plus an explanation of a D-Fenders trade of Quincy Acy to Texas.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-adjusted-multiple-trade-rules-in-july/

Thanks,

Eric

PS: Just posted the latest episode of the Hollywood Hoops podcast: NBA Trainer Charlie Torres @BucketsWorth Helping Klay Thompson Emerge as an All-Star w/@JoshMartinNBA -- but we also talk Lakers. He's worked with Julius Randle, loves Brandon Ingram.

https://soundcloud.com/eric-pincus/hollywood-hoops-klay-thompson-trainer-charlie-torres

Last edited by emplay on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Any lead on FO plan with Deng Emplay?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Plan is probably to do nothing right now.

If someone comes to them with a great offer, sure. I have low expectations on any change here.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Zublocka highlights! Thanks E!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Reading the article, it seems like the best chance to convince someone to take on Dengs deal is to convince a team that he needs a different system and role(constant PF minutes unlike in LA) to help him resurrect some of his success as a player.

The Lakers just need to find the right partner.

Honestly there is a lot of EC teams jocking for the playoffs who might find Deng a good addition.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, that's just not accurate - there are not a lot of teams lining up to take on Deng's really long, expensive contract
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Reading the article, it seems like the best chance to convince someone to take on Dengs deal is to convince a team that he needs a different system and role(constant PF minutes unlike in LA) to help him resurrect some of his success as a player.

Honestly there is a lot of EC teams jocking for the playoffs who might find Deng a good addition.

No one wants Deng, amnesty or stretch is the only way out.

If you dont want him on this team, why would another team want him? If he doesn't help a team trying to make the playoff, why would he help a team trying for a championship?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject:

I don't believe the new CBA will have amnesty
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Thats not good, why do you think amnesty won't be in the new CBA?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject:

because the tax structure isn't likely to change
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

If you dont want him on this team, why would another team want him? If he doesn't help a team trying to make the playoff, why would he help a team trying for a championship?

Like E said maybe Thibs will want him?

I see the bad fit in our system but I also see his role in the starting lineup right now. I don't think any post in this thread so far is too off base.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I see the bad fit in our system but I also see his role in the starting lineup right now. I don't think any post in this thread so far is too off base.

I could be wrong it wouldnt be the first time but I cant imagine one team in the NBA who would touch his contract.

Mitch is really good at drafting and he has made some solid signings in the past but its the worst contract in the NBA.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I could be wrong it wouldnt be the first time but I cant imagine one team in the NBA who would touch his contract.

Mitch is really good at drafting and he has made some solid signings in the past but its the worst contract in the NBA.

That honor belongs to Joakim Noah and it's not even close.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject:

With Deng, there are a few angles.

1. At the time of his signing, it wasn't completely unreasonable. He came off a good playoff series, and the Lakers had interest in him a long time ago.

2. That being said, his on-court production is very troubling.

I think both things can be true if we're being honest about Deng.

I think we're stuck with him unless we get an equally difficult contract back.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject:

Okay the extra year with noah makes his worse but mitch had one really bad offseason. Mozgov was an okay signing but i would of rather not signed anyone than what happened.

One more bad offseason and i lose trust in mitch.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Okay the extra year with noah makes his worse but mitch had one really bad offseason. Mozgov was an okay signing but i would of rather not signed anyone than what happened.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

You can't judge Mitch's offseason just by signing Deng. There was Mozgov, there was an extention to Clarkson. Whether it was him or circumstances, but we kept Young and Williams. Could have done much-much worse.
Moreover, remember how everybody was happy about Deng at first. You can not always predict a dropoff of a player (ahemmm Nash+Dwight). Yes, it was clearfrom the start that Deng and Mozogov are overpayed, but Mitch actually explained his reasons.

I trust Deng is doing stuff in the locker room worth more than his production on the court. If anything, we have a good defender on a team which needs to reinvent its defense.

This offseason was not bad. Not bad at all.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:

But don't forget how well he's drafted the past 3 years.

Randle/JC
DLO/Nance
Ingram/Zubac.

Noice.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

But don't forget how well he's drafted the past 3 years.

Randle/JC
DLO/Nance
Ingram/Zubac.

Noice.

Yeah he really know how to draft! Between Nick Young and Lou he knows how to find good deals, honestly some of the best deals in the league.

I think he should of been more patient. I just think he needs to trust his process more and not gamble.

He is a good gm but I like the ted thompson (Greenbay) way of running teams. Resign your players, sign stars if you can, look for good deals or punt. Always no exceptions. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he signed everyone but it seemed like a panic move.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

1. At the time of his signing, it wasn't completely unreasonable. He came off a good playoff series, and the Lakers had interest in him a long time ago.

4 years for Deng never made sense. If that's what it took to get him, we should have moved on.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:

He needs to be at the 4 for him to offer anything of value, whether on the floor or on the market.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

That honor belongs to Joakim Noah and it's not even close.

At least Noah is somewhat producing in his limited minutes (15+PER) compared to Deng (9PER)
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

4 years for Deng never made sense. If that's what it took to get him, we should have moved on.

I forgot it was a 4 year contract. Not good
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I forgot it was a 4 year contract. Not good

I wonder who made that blunder? Jim, Mitch, Jeannie????

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Folks talking like we've been a desirable team and had tons of FA options.

We weren't. We didn't.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie has no say on such matters
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: