Los Angeles Lakers Not Getting Their Money's Worth in Luol Deng
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I think we're stuck with him unless we get an equally difficult contract back.

I think Deng is a prettty good problem to have.

Of all the other possibilities....

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Folks talking like we've been a desirable team and had tons of FA options.

We weren't. We didn't.

But when its the first quarter a team should punt instead of throwing a hailmary on 4th down.

We could of had a different player on a one year deal and had another 18 million in cap space next offseason.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject:

The deal was a blunder from the start. Some think otherwise, but that's how I always felt. Mozgov was at least justified because of the price of big men. Any decent big man is making that kind of $ - still I believe we could have passed on Mozgov too.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
The deal was a blunder from the start. Some think otherwise, but that's how I always felt. Mozgov was at least justified because of the price of big men. Any decent big man is making that kind of $ - still I believe we could have passed on Mozgov too.

No we couldn't because Luke was the one who recruited him so what Luke wants Luke gets.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
TDRock wrote:

We weren't. We didn't.

But when its the first quarter a team should punt instead of throwing a hailmary on 4th down.

We could of had a different player on a one year deal and had another 18 million in cap space next offseason.

No we couldn't because we sucked so bad last we had to overpay players just to get them to come here because no one wanted to sign here.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
TDRock wrote:

We weren't. We didn't.

No we couldn't because we sucked so bad last we had to overpay players just to get them to come here because no one wanted to sign here.

The TWolves & Thibbs were considered a favorite for Deng & only offered 2 years/24M. How much of an overpay are you talking?
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
TDRock wrote:

We weren't. We didn't.

We have signed players on one year deals for several seasons now.

For example Festus ezeli signed a 2 year deal for 15 million. We could of offered him 10 mil for one season, he wouldnt of turned that down. Or maybe Wayne Ellington (2 years for 12 million) we could of offered 8.5 million for one year, he doesnt turn that down.

Dion waiters signed a one year deal for less than 3 million; and as much as i like Moz I wouldnt of gave him that contract.

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Snipes wrote:

No we couldn't because Luke was the one who recruited him so what Luke wants Luke gets.

Luke is paid to be the coach not to be the GM, i dont care what Luke wants and Mitch shouldnt either.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Jeanie has no say on such matters

What are Jeanie's responsibilities? I thought she, like Dr Buss, had the last say. Can she veto any deal?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
TDRock wrote:

We weren't. We didn't.

For example Festus ezeli signed a 2 year deal for 15 million. We could of offered him 10 mil for one season, he wouldnt of turned that down. Or maybe Wayne Ellington (2 years for 12 million) we could of offered 8.5 million for one year, he doesnt turn that down.

Dion waiters signed a one year deal for less than 3 million; and as much as i like Moz I wouldnt of gave him that contract.

Expect Luke didn't want anything to do with anyone from GS especially Ezeli he was one of the reasons why GS lost the finals last year and he's injury prone.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
TDRock wrote:

We weren't. We didn't.

Expect Luke didn't want anything to do with anyone from GS especially Ezeli he was one of the reasons why GS lost the finals last year and he's injury prone.

Who cares what luke wants. Hes not going to be fired if we make a bad signing Mitch is. And at the end of the season we would have 18 million more in cap space! Deng isnt better than Ezeli even if he was it doesnt matter.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
TDRock wrote:

We weren't. We didn't.

The TWolves & Thibbs were considered a favorite for Deng & only offered 2 years/24M. How much of an overpay are you talking?

By 2020 Thibs will apparently have offered Deng a partially guaranteed one year contract at league minimum and a Burlington Coat Factory gift card.

It was 3/45MM. As you've referenced multiple times in other threads.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
TDRock wrote:

We weren't. We didn't.

Ezeli might not play the season and could be a candidate for early retirement. Wayne Ellington and Dion Waiters are strictly SGs where the Lakers already have Clarkson and Young.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
TDRock wrote:

We weren't. We didn't.

What do you wanted to give him 2 years/36 Mil, and they were offering 3/45 so we had to beat that.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
TDRock wrote:

We weren't. We didn't.

Where did you get that? I've not heard or read it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
TDRock wrote:

We weren't. We didn't.

Who cares what luke wants. Hes not going to be fired if we make a bad signing Mitch is. And at the end of the season we would have 18 million more in cap space! Deng isnt better than Ezeli even if he was it doesnt matter.

I'll still rather have Mozgov at C than Ezeli.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
TDRock wrote:

We weren't. We didn't.

I can tell watch the finals again. Plus Mitch is not going to deal with restricted free agents at all.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject:

But Fontana that isnt the point.

We could of had Moz Ellington and 18 million in capspace. Or if we didnt get moz (I do like Moz) we could of had any combination of players and 34 million in space.

The chances were good that we sign acuple good player after this pretty nice season or at the very least we have 3 offseasons to find someone good. Instead we are going to only resign nick and maybe also a decent player.

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:

We could of had Moz Ellington and 18 million in capspace. Or if we didnt get moz (I do like Moz) we could of had any combination of players and 34 million in space.

Who knows who we could of picked up after this pretty good season. Instead we are going to only resign nick and maybe also a decent player.

In other words punt away 2017 and move on to 2018 better free agents, and to stay at salary floor level.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

Who knows who we could of picked up after this pretty good season. Instead we are going to only resign nick and maybe also a decent player.

In other words punt away 2017 and move on to 2018 better free agents, and to stay at salary floor level.

I punt till we find someone good and deng is not good by any sense of the word, hes down right horrible.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
jodeke wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
TDRock wrote:

We weren't. We didn't.

I can tell watch the finals again. Plus Mitch is not going to deal with restricted free agents at all.

So it's speculation? Is the italic, underlined also speculation?

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

I punt till we find someone good and deng is not good by any sense of the word, hes down right horrible.

You can punt until 2018 and then Randle, Russell, and Nance get paid in subsequent seasons.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure anyone would have reasonably thought Deng would be this bad.

Last year he went 12/6/2 shooting 45%, but at the end of the year, April/May (you know 6 months ago) he was pretty good.

Against Charlotte/Conf Semis he went 19/7/2 54% FG 51% 3P <--- that is amazing

Now, it is true he fell off in the Conf Finals against TOR, going 7/5/1 35%

So, are you expecting the semifinal Deng or the conf finals Deng?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
TDRock wrote:

We weren't. We didn't.

By 2020 Thibs will apparently have offered Deng a partially guaranteed one year contract at league minimum and a Burlington Coat Factory gift card.

It was 3/45MM. As you've referenced multiple times in other threads.

You can go find it but it was actually 3/36 with only the first 2 years guaranteed. So basically 2y/24M
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:
I'm not sure anyone would have reasonably thought Deng would be this bad.

Last year he went 12/6/2 shooting 45%, but at the end of the year, April/May (you know 6 months ago) he was pretty good.

Against Charlotte/Conf Semis he went 19/7/2 54% FG 51% 3P <--- that is amazing

Now, it is true he fell off in the Conf Finals against TOR, going 7/5/1 35%

So, are you expecting the semifinal Deng or the conf finals Deng?

Yeah, I think most folks thought he would be solid for at least 2 years of the deal, and fall off years 3 and 4 (when Ingram would be ready to assert himself).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: