Unofficial Cooking Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Unofficial Cooking Thread

I have been getting a lot more into cooking lately.

My biggest new item is my new Wok with Non Stick Ceramic interior which is fantastic. I am making new creations in this bad boy every day and eating more fresh veggies, noodles, rice and proteins than ever before.

What does LG like to cook because I am looking for a good Chicken Parm recipe LOL....
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Sounds pretty awesome ... I've been meaning to pick-up a new heavy-duty wok to expand the repertoire in our home, too.

As far as the second part, (bleep) ... The Palm used to have some pretty sublime chicken parmigiana as an off-menu option. Also, and I know some here may scoff, but the Cheesecake Factory has a sandwich version that's a vast departure from the faithful Italian classic, but it's somehow (bleep) culinary magic anyway. If you make your own at home, you really have to nail the sauce. That's not profound information, but it's still worth remembering ...
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Double "L", Chicken Parm is easy..

Buy some thinly sliced Chicken Breasts
Dip it in a mixture of milk and egg or egg beaters
Then coat it with Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs
Then put it in a rectangular or square glass dish - lightly coated w/olive oil
Then put it in a preheated (to 350) oven for 25 minutes
Then remove and pour your favorite Spaghetti sauce over it
Then cover with a mixture of Parmeasen & Mozzeralla cheese
Return to oven for another 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly & gooey..!
Remove from oven
Let cool about 5 minutes
Serve with pasta and a side of steamed broccoli
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Buy a smoker Lanny. Real men smoke meat when they want to impress people with their cooking skills.

Smoke a brisket for 9 hours and you'll be a hero. Stir fry some chicken noodle and it's just dinner.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Unofficial Cooking Thread

LakerLanny wrote:

My biggest new item is my new Wok with Non Stick Ceramic interior which is fantastic. I am making new creations in this bad boy every day and eating more fresh veggies, noodles, rice and proteins than ever before.

What does LG like to cook because I am looking for a good Chicken Parm recipe LOL....

I've been using my wok a lot with veggies lately too. Although I don't have a ceramic interior. I might want to look into one soon though because they look nice. I've found that, as you make more meals at home, vegetable medleys are key for keeping the sides interesting. Simply adding some sparse thinly sliced onions, red peppers and mushrooms to your green beans, for instance, can give it fresh appeal.

I'm no culinary wiz (calling Chef Linda) but chicken parmesan is a fairly easy recipe. Not complicated. I've had some reasonable results using a good quality piece of chicken (flattened with a tenderizer), a nicely seasoned flour mixture, sautéed in butter & olive oil (I've used a garlic herbed butter). And a good quality, homemade marinara sauce is key. As well as a good cheese. Parmigiano-Reggiano is tops but I don't know how crazy you want to get with it. Again, I'm just a cooking hack mostly but keep after it, man.

Oh yeah, and Joshua is right, a quality smoked brisket can be a show stopper when you have visitors at the crib.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Unofficial Cooking Thread

LakerLanny wrote:

You might want to try Blue Apron out. I've been doing it for a few months now and it's really a great way to learn to cook and try new things. You also get to keep the recipes so if you decide to stop getting the deliveries you can just get the ingredients yourself which of course if cheaper but not nearly as convenient.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject:

I use my wok several times a week, I never waste vegetables with that thing around. And you can use any protein, so whatever is available is delicious. I cook for myself every night (kids are 18 and 21, so they are never home) and have mastered the art of cooking small. My wife is the opposite, she makes huge portions of everything and unfortunately some almost always goes to waste. So know your audience. One simple side dish I have learned to love is just some pasta tossed with sautéed garlic and peas. As for chicken parm, not a cheese fan so I offer no help there.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

up the ante and do some Parmesan crusted shrimp
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject:

Bit size chicken/beef with garlic +/- spinach/veggie, salt pepper, stir fry prob 5 mins til slightly brown
At same time, make Al dente egg noodle (prob 5 mins in boiling water)
Then add Sa Cha sauce (chinese bbq, sold in silver cans), a table spoon of that.

Stir fry chicken noodle in 8 mins

OR

Bite size chicken salt pepper stir fry 5 mins then add broccoli/button mushrooms 3 mins then add a table spoon oyster sauce for 3 mins. Turn stove off, add a teaspoon of corn starch mixed in a cup of water and mixed. Serve with white rice

Wok is life!

Oh yeah, that smoked brisket stuff... do that
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I use my wok several times a week, I never waste vegetables with that thing around. And you can use any protein, so whatever is available is delicious. I cook for myself every night (kids are 18 and 21, so they are never home) and have mastered the art of cooking small. My wife is the opposite, she makes huge portions of everything and unfortunately some almost always goes to waste. So know your audience. One simple side dish I have learned to love is just some pasta tossed with sautéed garlic and peas. As for chicken parm, not a cheese fan so I offer no help there.

How do you fulfill the pizza part of the food pyramid ... ?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Buy a smoker Lanny. Real men smoke meat when they want to impress people with their cooking skills.

Smoke a brisket for 9 hours and you'll be a hero. Stir fry some chicken noodle and it's just dinner.

My Traeger is one of my favorite cooking tools.

I also started working with a sous vide cooking bath and a blowtorch when I don't want to smoke. It's been fun.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

How do you fulfill the pizza part of the food pyramid ... ?

I eat cheese on pizza, grilled cheese, that is probably about it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Try using a hot air fryer. Just one of many receipts.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Anyone love making Lasagna?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

I won't comment until this becomes official.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
up the ante and do some Parmesan crusted shrimp

cheese and seafood. not a popular thing, and I still think rightfully so
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Anyone love making Lasagna?

YEP

Once you learn how to use a hot air fryer you find ways to do it your way, Pasta, sea food, chicken wings. There are receipts for just about anything thing.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Anyone here use the Egg grill? Fantastic gift for all the BBQers in your life (and yourself, of course.)
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Would love to see some ideas of cooking some good steaks.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Anyone here use the Egg grill? Fantastic gift for all the BBQers in your life (and yourself, of course.)

big green egg?
yes there are are a host of egg shaped ceramic and "comparable to ceramic" kamado girlls on the market now and they are my favorite. Ability to dial in and hold the temperature you are after, moisture retention, and fuel efficiency are the big advantages. IMO it doesnt magically make your grilled food taste better but it makes it easier to practice proper grilling techniques.
I have one of the lower end entry kamados on the market... the char griller akorn kamado because one of the higher end ones of comparable size is too expensive for a cheapy like me. I can do 2-5 cooks on the same load of lump coal with only topping off the coals with a few more fresh pieces every other cook. When you are done cooking simply shut off the vents to snuff out the fire.
Bought a weber grate and cheap pizza pan as a deflector for indirect smoking which works like a charm.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

first you have to start with the right steaks. Ribeye is a pretty forgiving cut of meat since its a bit more fatty meat making it more juicy. Also if possible try to get steaks with good marbling... choice grade or better.
As for cooking, reverse sear is all the rage these days. Cook at a low temperature (smoke on grill, sous vide, or bake (last resort way)) until it slowly reaches the desired pre-sear temperature. Then sear on grill or hot cast iron skillet.
If you want a nice browned crust on your steak, season it just before you throw it on the grill. Seasoning it too soon will have the season dissolve into the meat creating a much less pronounced crust.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Usually Indian food although I'm trying to go for a more vegetarian palette.

The Slow Cooker is your best friend during the cold winter months
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Double "L", Chicken Parm is easy..

Buy some thinly sliced Chicken Breasts
Dip it in a mixture of milk and egg or egg beaters
Then coat it with Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs
Then put it in a rectangular or square glass dish - lightly coated w/olive oil
Then put it in a preheated (to 350) oven for 25 minutes
Then remove and pour your favorite Spaghetti sauce over it
Then cover with a mixture of Parmeasen & Mozzeralla cheese
Return to oven for another 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly & gooey..!
Remove from oven
Let cool about 5 minutes
Serve with pasta and a side of steamed broccoli

That sounds like a pretty easy recipe, definitely within my skill set. I will make this over the weekend and let you know how it turned out!

I am also going to look into a smoker as others have suggested. I have my mobile BBQ Grill (Coleman Road Trip LXE) which I love;

But now I need a smoker to go along with it!
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

first you have to start with the right steaks. Ribeye is a pretty forgiving cut of meat since its a bit more fatty meat making it more juicy. Also if possible try to get steaks with good marbling... choice grade or better.
As for cooking, reverse sear is all the rage these days. Cook at a low temperature (smoke on grill, sous vide, or bake (last resort way)) until it slowly reaches the desired pre-sear temperature. Then sear on grill or hot cast iron skillet.
If you want a nice browned crust on your steak, season it just before you throw it on the grill. Seasoning it too soon will have the season dissolve into the meat creating a much less pronounced crust.

Also, "resting" the steaks immediately following the cooking process, tented on a cutting board with aluminum foil, for maybe 5 - 10 min. after you remove them from the grill (or whatever cooking surface) ... holy (bleep), what a difference that small step made to my grilling game 12 - 15 years ago.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Usually Indian food although I'm trying to go for a more vegetarian palette.

The Slow Cooker is your best friend during the cold winter months

I used my slow cooker on Thanksgiving. I got a great deal on a pork shoulder and threw it in, covered it with root beer and cooked it on low over night. Great pulled pork. I have heard it is good with Dr. Pepper too but have never tried it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: