View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
Never had anything in NY that totally wowed me. But with so many choices there, I imagine that it's just that I haven't eaten at the right places, and not that everyone else is wrong. But I've been to both good restaurants and holes-in-the-wall that people rave about.

Chicago I haven't spent much time eating in, although I'll note that Rick Bayless is based there. I still do layovers at O'Hare whenever I can so I can eat at Tortas Frontega.

And oddly, I haven't spent that much time eating in LA. But I haven't seen much there that I can't get in OC. There's a Nobu there, maybe a few other places. I may prefer San Diego to LA.

Two of my favorite food cities in the country are Portland and San Francisco.

Portland is really climbing up in the culinary world. I spent a few days there in 2015 and the food was exceptional. Lots of variety, I had everything from soul food to diner food to 5 star food.

I spent some time in Portland this Summer. You can eat very well there. Their beer and coffee put ours to shame. But while I had several delicious meals, there are few places I ate at there that get a lot of attention that would be pretty ho-hum in LA.

I enjoyed the diner types more. I remember one restaurant in an old house called the Front Porch or something like that. Good soul food, probably the best I have had since my last trip to Mississippi.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Never had anything in NY that totally wowed me. But with so many choices there, I imagine that it's just that I haven't eaten at the right places, and not that everyone else is wrong. But I've been to both good restaurants and holes-in-the-wall that people rave about.

Chicago I haven't spent much time eating in, although I'll note that Rick Bayless is based there. I still do layovers at O'Hare whenever I can so I can eat at Tortas Frontega.

And oddly, I haven't spent that much time eating in LA. But I haven't seen much there that I can't get in OC. There's a Nobu there, maybe a few other places. I may prefer San Diego to LA.

Spot on with regard to SF and PDX.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Shouldn't LA be on the list of signature dish considering the Spanish food in the area?

If you were going to say something was Los Angeles's signature dish, what exactly would it be? And is that 'signature dish' generally done better in LA than elsewhere? I'm at a loss for what that might be?

The Cobb salad from the Brown Derby?

I suppose a better clarification of 'Signature Dish" should have been offered on my part:

1) When you hear "Great Cheese Steak", what city do you think of?

2) When you hear "Delicious Deep Dish", what city do you think of?

3) When you hear "Delectable Lobster" what city do you think of?

4) When you hear, "Awesome Wings", what city do you think of?

5) When you hear, "Jammin Clam Chowder", what city do you think of?

6) When you hear, "Slammin BBQ", what city do you think of?

7) When you hear, "Salmon Heaven", what city do you think of?

8) When you hear, "Melt in your Mouth Cubano" what city do you think of?

9) When you hear, "Bottomless Jumbalaya", what city do you think of??

10) When you hear, "Refreshing Cobb Salad" what city do you think of?

*) Here's one that only you and a few others will likely get:

When your think of "Outstanding Tri-Tip", what city do you think of?

Basically, a cities signature dish is associated with that city because there are a plethora of places to grab that dish prepared at it's best.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

The overall food in both SF & Portland is awesome,but one thing I've always found odd about both - Neither has many good choices for great Burgers. For cities that do food so right, it's strange that finding a really good burger can be such a chore.

PDX is best for a good steak served in the raw...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

The overall food in both SF & Portland is awesome,but one thing I've always found odd about both - Neither has many good choices for great Burgers. For cities that do food so right, it's strange that finding a really good burger can be such a chore.

PDX is best for a good steak served in the raw...

What? You don't like Dick's?!

BTW, Dick's is what In N Out would be if it wasn't pretentiously precious
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Portland is really climbing up in the culinary world. I spent a few days there in 2015 and the food was exceptional. Lots of variety, I had everything from soul food to diner food to 5 star food.

I spent some time in Portland this Summer. You can eat very well there. Their beer and coffee put ours to shame. But while I had several delicious meals, there are few places I ate at there that get a lot of attention that would be pretty ho-hum in LA.

I enjoyed the diner types more. I remember one restaurant in an old house called the Front Porch or something like that. Good soul food, probably the best I have had since my last trip to Mississippi.

For breakfast, you'd love the Byway Cafe in the Pearl.

I think a lot of the NW food and beverage stuff stems from a diverse, coastal, prosperous region with a lot of the natural resources and climate for great food production, and an out of the "mainstream" ethos.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

I still don't get the local love affair with Dicks? I know folks here grew up with it, but it really doesn't hold a candle to In-N-Out. Now Red Mill? That's a whole 'nother ballgame. An In-N-Out burger is simply out of it's depth in that particular burger war.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I still don't get the local love affair with Dicks? I know folks here grew up with it, but it really doesn't hold a candle to In-N-Out. Now Red Mill? That's a whole 'nother ballgame. An In-N-Out burger is simply out of it's depth in that particular burger war.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek there since neither Dick's nor InO really qualify as fantastic burgers.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

For breakfast, you'd love the Byway Cafe in the Pearl.

I think a lot of the NW food and beverage stuff stems from a diverse, coastal, prosperous region with a lot of the natural resources and climate for great food production, and an out of the "mainstream" ethos.

That place always reminded me of 'Luna Park Cafe' over in West Seattle, only not quite as quaint.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I was being a bit tongue in cheek there since neither Dick's nor InO really qualify as fantastic burgers.

Whew! I was confused! Although some locals have actually told me they think Dicks is a great burger? Always leaves me with the notion that they salivate when watching NHL games due to seeing teams whack around a Dicks Burger on the ice for an hour.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

What's your opinion on The Habit burger chain quality or quantity?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Whew! I was confused! Although some locals have actually told me they think Dicks is a great burger? Always leaves me with the notion that they salivate when watching NHL games due to seeing teams whack around a Dicks Burger on the ice for an hour.

LOL. Dick's actually varies a lot by location, but overall is the standard griddled greasebomb. Great company that has done a lot for its employees, and deserves its nostalgic love based on that. THe tendency to overrate the burger is kind of part and parcel of that. But damned if In N Out isn't a (bleep) cult. I get that they use decent, fresh beef, but at the end of the day it is still a griddled grease bomb too.
axs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
LA has in n out. LA wins.

Also the mexican food is amazing here. El Camino Real in fullerton is amazing. Their fresh salsa is amazing.

All I read was amazing, amazing, amazing.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

What's your opinion on The Habit burger chain quality or quantity?

Have not had one there, so don't have an opinion.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Even bigger than the In-N-Out cult is the cult that finds every opportunity to bring it up to trash it. Particularly in fashion these days. And you say greasebomb like it's a bad thing! I can respect that part of its appeal can be regional (even though most out of town people who come to visit make sure to grab some and always with enthusiasm). I have no issue with locals who are loving and prideful of particular offerings. I'm glad New Yorkers love their pizza, even if I don't particularly get it (I like it. It's good. I do not find it to be a special thing you can only get there.) but I also take no glee in tearing it down. There are times when simply nothing but an In-N-Out burger will do, and for those glorious moments it is everything it should be. What's funny is a lot of people I hear trash In-N-Out usually offer their local burger staple as superior without seeing the irony. This, of course, excludes the irredeemable people who prefer Carls Jr or Fatburger.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject:

LA. Having lived in NYC, there's simply nothing like LA food. Heck, some of the NY mainstays are moving over to LA anyways (Halal Guys).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Shouldn't LA be on the list of signature dish considering the Spanish food in the area?

If you were going to say something was Los Angeles's signature dish, what exactly would it be? And is that 'signature dish' generally done better in LA than elsewhere? I'm at a loss for what that might be?

The Cobb salad from the Brown Derby?

I suppose a better clarification of 'Signature Dish" should have been offered on my part:

1) When you hear "Great Cheese Steak", what city do you think of?

2) When you hear "Delicious Deep Dish", what city do you think of?

3) When you hear "Delectable Lobster" what city do you think of?

4) When you hear, "Awesome Wings", what city do you think of?

5) When you hear, "Jammin Clam Chowder", what city do you think of?

6) When you hear, "Slammin BBQ", what city do you think of?

7) When you hear, "Salmon Heaven", what city do you think of?

8) When you hear, "Melt in your Mouth Cubano" what city do you think of?

9) When you hear, "Bottomless Jumbalaya", what city do you think of??

10) When you hear, "Refreshing Cobb Salad" what city do you think of?

*) Here's one that only you and a few others will likely get:

When your think of "Outstanding Tri-Tip", what city do you think of?

Basically, a cities signature dish is associated with that city because there are a plethora of places to grab that dish prepared at it's best.

Santa Maria, of course.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
LA. Having lived in NYC, there's simply nothing like LA food. Heck, some of the NY mainstays are moving over to LA anyways (Halal Guys).

That was the first thing that came to mind when I hear LA, food trucks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: