Amnesty Clause
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
what is so bad about deng?

I don't HATE Deng but he does nothing for us

And with Young being a FA in summer and us in a spot to maybe sign Jrue or George Hill

And with Lou being a FA in 2018 and others like Boogie and PG13

He's just eating up money that could go elsewhere
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

The fact that he can't step up at all when we desperatly need him to says a lot about him. He's got nothing left.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lel, people on this forum protested against the prospect of signing Whiteside for max money and instead we got Luol Deng for almost that much.

There was no "instead", Whiteside had no interest in being here. Don't act like we had any chance to sign him.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Player 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Randle $4 $23 $23 $23 $23 ? ? ?
Russell $5 $7 $24 $24 $24 $24 ? ?
Ingram $5 $6 $7 $27 $29 $31 $33 $35
Clarkson $11 $12 $12 ? ? ? ? ?
Deng $8 $8 $8 $8 $8 $8 $8 $0
Mozgov $15 $16 $17 UFA
Nance $1 $2 $14 $14 $14 $14 ? ?
Zubac $1 $1 $9 $10 $11 $12 ? ?
Williams $7 UFA - -
Black $7 UFA - -
Young $6 UFA - -
Total $70 $75 $114 $106 $109 $89 $41 $35
Cap $102 $105 $108 $111 $114 $117 $120 $123
Space $32 $30 ($6) $5 $5 $28 $79 $88

^this assumes we stretch Deng this summer $54M over 7 years
Randle 4 yrs $92, Russell 4 yrs $96, Ingram 5 yr Max, Nance 4 yr $56, Zu 4 yr $42 (honestly all of these other than Ingram could be quite low estimates)

We end up with cap in 2017 and 2018, but none after that, but that is not big deal since we can go over the cap to sign our own FAs.

Last edited by parsons777 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

The fact that he can't step up at all when we desperatly need him to says a lot about him. He's got nothing left.

He hasn't done that in 4 seasons. I don't know why people would expect that he would.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Deng was the last resort after Bazemore said no. It was a pretty safe bet that at least one of Deng and Mozgov's contracts was gonna be an albatross. For it to happen in year one is not good. What is going on with LA teams lately having at least one player absolutely suck after signing a deal? Dustin Brown with the Kings, take your pick among the injured pitchers the Dodgers have wasted their money on the last few seasons, and now Deng with the Lakers.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
zePokar wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

He hasn't done that in 4 seasons. I don't know why people would expect that he would.

I'am not asking him to get 25 points and play like a star. But 2 points on 20% shooting ? That's his veteran contribution to this young team ? His legs are shot year one of a 4 years contract. I think you're wrong if you think the lakers gave him that money knowing he'd be this irrelevant. You can get veteran lockerroom leadership for the vet min. When you pay that kind of money you expect some kind of production from the guy and he isn't delivering.

Last edited by Vin on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject:

I hated the deng signing from day 1, the way he's played more than justifies my hatred for it. I hope thibs loves deng and hopes he can revive him in minny, would love to unload him for shabazz and peks contract.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject:

How the we assume that there wont be an Amnesty clause? At past 2 CBA agreements there were so its very possible that there will be next time
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
How the we assume that there wont be an Amnesty clause? At past 2 CBA agreements there were so its very possible that there will be next time

Multiple reporters have already confirmed there isn't.
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Deng will go down as the worst Lakers signing of all times!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
I haven't seen a worse free agent signing than Deng since forever.

Not even a hyperbole. What was Mitch/Luke thinking?

He had a really solid season last year so I understand where they were coming from in principle but the # of years at that dollar amount is cray.

Seems like they fell in the Nash trap.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Yong wrote:
I haven't seen a worse free agent signing than Deng since forever.

Not even a hyperbole. What was Mitch/Luke thinking?

Simple Ingram is not ready, Young was about to be cut, Brown was awful shall I go on.
you cannot justify this. At all.

You can... if you don't have a crystal ball.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

Amnesty clause? pff how about dont overpay for way over the hill players when you are not even a title contender in the first place?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Deng was the last resort after Bazemore said no. It was a pretty safe bet that at least one of Deng and Mozgov's contracts was gonna be an albatross. For it to happen in year one is not good. What is going on with LA teams lately having at least one player absolutely suck after signing a deal? Dustin Brown with the Kings, take your pick among the injured pitchers the Dodgers have wasted their money on the last few seasons, and now Deng with the Lakers.

The funny thing is that a vast majority of the posters on this board were down with the Deng singing. We were up on arms about Mozzer's deal but not Deng's.

Who would have thought that Deng would be the one we are complaining about out of the two?

Deng has been so solid his whole career, I really can't explain why he can't even make a simple play now. I must be conditioning, the new faster pace and a whole new offense. I have said all along that we have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He is not this bad and he will get out of this funk.

Not that it really matters. We have no choice, he is gonna be on the team for at least 3 years.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

The funny thing is that a vast majority of the posters on this board were down with the Deng singing. We were up on arms about Mozzer's deal but not Deng's.

Who would have thought that Deng would be the one we are complaining about out of the two?

Deng has been so solid his whole career, I really can't explain why he can't even make a simple play now. I must be conditioning, the new faster pace and a whole new offense. I have said all along that we have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He is not this bad and he will get out of this funk.

Not that it really matters. We have no choice, he is gonna be on the team for at least 3 years.

Yeah, I w3as telling people that the Deng deal was the higher risk one, although to be honest, I was thinking a couple years down the road. Of course, I thought there would be an amnesty too...

My guess is LA is going to try and see if they can get him going, at least as a good rotation player over the next couple of years. They won't panic and while they will look at trades, my guess is they won't waive him unless they hit a signing that they need the money for, or a big tax bill down the road. If you consider the money sunk, and now you are just looking for him to be a decent rotation guy, with the added bonus of being able to dump a bunch of his cap hit if and when we need (and pay it back over time). He's kind of like a high interest credit card in that regard.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject:

Mitch really needs to find a way to get rid of Deng
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:

Needs? Not really. Deng is a disappointment right now, and a potential financial nuisance later, but not much more.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Needs? Not really. Deng is a disappointment right now, and a potential financial nuisance later, but not much more.

Im not saying we cant be a good team with deng on it but i think your understating the problem of losing 18 million in cap space.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Im not saying we cant be a good team with deng on it but i think your understating the problem of losing 18 million in cap space.

I think you're overstating the fact that we aren't losing 18 mil, but rather 7ish if it came to that. It is not ideal but not anywhere near crippling for them in their current roster and cap scenario. And frankly, there isn't much of a scenario to do anything about that now, unless you want to basically give away a very appealing asset to dump the contract.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

I think you're overstating the fact that we aren't losing 18 mil, but rather 7ish if it came to that. It is not ideal but not anywhere near crippling for them in their current roster and cap scenario. And frankly, there isn't much of a scenario to do anything about that now, unless you want to basically give away a very appealing asset to dump the contract.

I agree there's not much we can do about it but 4 years is a long time or 7 if we strech him. I know its not likely but come on Amnesty
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Yeah, I w3as telling people that the Deng deal was the higher risk one, although to be honest, I was thinking a couple years down the road. Of course, I thought there would be an amnesty too...

My guess is LA is going to try and see if they can get him going, at least as a good rotation player over the next couple of years. They won't panic and while they will look at trades, my guess is they won't waive him unless they hit a signing that they need the money for, or a big tax bill down the road. If you consider the money sunk, and now you are just looking for him to be a decent rotation guy, with the added bonus of being able to dump a bunch of his cap hit if and when we need (and pay it back over time). He's kind of like a high interest credit card in that regard.

I agree that it's a sunk cost regardless, and that they will give him more than 20-ish games to work it out. If he's playing this way a year from now, then more drastic measures may be taken.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject:

I know luke is all about not breaking up the bench but a quick fix would be deng off the bench, and swaggy start at SF, clarkson starts at SG.
Then the bench mob would be lou,BI,Deng,nance, black. Bench offense would dip a bit but put deng on the other teams best "bench" guy at SG, SF, or PF the D would be a bit better IMO.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject:

Clarkson at starting SG isn't a good idea.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

I originally hated the Mozgov deal, and I still do not love it....but within 24 hours of the confirmation that we signed Deng, I warned it would end up being the worst contract or the two....but even then I was thinking year 3 & 4. He had slowed so much last year, it was clear he did not have more than a year or two left....but it appears he did not even have that left in the tank.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: