David Stern: "There was never a trade to void" ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Knowing Jeanie was an enemy, Jim chose to distance himself and his team from her. The right choice would have been attaching himself to her hip making his fortunes intertwined with hers. Would have required humility and a willingness to take some lumps in the short run. Every time I heard Jeanie say 'I have no idea what's going on with the BB ops side' I found myself thinking Jim should be publicly acknowledging her role and making it clear he was consulting her on every major decision. If she tried to distance herself by saying that's not her job to be in the know it would be up to him to spin that as her being incapable (or uninterested) in a critical part of the business. He let her off the hook because his ego wouldn't let him publicly kiss the ring.

I don't think you understand that Jeanie had no intention of partnering with him no matter what he did. She wanted him out since long before he was actually in.

I understand and I'm not saying he should have tried to legitimately attempted to build a partnership with her because that was never going to happen. I'm saying he should have kept her politically attached to him by publicly acknowledging her as the ultimate leader and giving the appearance she was being consulted extensively. He could have made the narrative about the Buss heirs but instead allowed Jeanie to distance herself from the very thing that was used to sack him. At the very least it would have made it difficult for her to undercut him as she routinely did because she would be in frame.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Knowing Jeanie was an enemy, Jim chose to distance himself and his team from her. The right choice would have been attaching himself to her hip making his fortunes intertwined with hers. Would have required humility and a willingness to take some lumps in the short run. Every time I heard Jeanie say 'I have no idea what's going on with the BB ops side' I found myself thinking Jim should be publicly acknowledging her role and making it clear he was consulting her on every major decision. If she tried to distance herself by saying that's not her job to be in the know it would be up to him to spin that as her being incapable (or uninterested) in a critical part of the business. He let her off the hook because his ego wouldn't let him publicly kiss the ring.

I don't think you understand that Jeanie had no intention of partnering with him no matter what he did. She wanted him out since long before he was actually in.

I understand and I'm not saying he should have tried to legitimately attempted to build a partnership with her because that was never going to happen. I'm saying he should have kept her politically attached to him by publicly acknowledging her as the ultimate leader and giving the appearance she was being consulted extensively. He could have made the narrative about the Buss heirs but instead allowed Jeanie to distance herself from the very thing that was used to sack him. At the very least it would have made it difficult for her to undercut him as she routinely did because she would be in frame.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Quote:

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….
Dan G

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-nba_dan_gilbert_email_lakers_hornets_trade_120811

This is the reason why i was team Mitch and Team Jimbo.
Quote:
Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process.

Not only did you get the best pg in the nba, but you saved all sorts of cash doing it. not only did you save cash doing it. You made sure the other 29 teams would not be in your pocket aka revenue sharing.

That's some next level GMing right there. All hate aside you have to give jim/mitch kudos for that move.

That something only the lakers would do. only a Buss could pull off. Hopefully its now something that magic and pelinka could pull off.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I think that trade set us back a lot. We would likely still have Chris Paul today, which could be used as a foundation to reconstruct the team without having to go through losing or a full rebuild. That said, I'm not sure we would have any more championships that we do now. Does a core of Paul/aging Kobe/Howard beat the 2012, 2013 or 2014 Miami Heat and/or San Antonio Spurs? Probably not.

could that team beat the heat? YES.

As good as the heat looked on paper remember they lost that first finals.
I think that group could've beaten the spurs and the heat one each time. but to your point worse case scenario we would've had cp3 and dwight to lure other top players since that became a thing with these new young stars(i want to pair up or team up with another star or 2.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Quote:

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….
Dan G

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-nba_dan_gilbert_email_lakers_hornets_trade_120811

This is the reason why i was team Mitch and Team Jimbo.
Quote:

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process.

Not only did you get the best pg in the nba, but you saved all sorts of cash doing it. not only did you save cash doing it. You made sure the other 29 teams would not be in your pocket aka revenue sharing.

That's some next level GMing right there. All hate aside you have to give jim/mitch kudos for that move.

That something only the lakers would do. only a Buss could pull off. Hopefully its now something that magic and pelinka could pull off.

Mag and Rob better have some cajones if and when a time like this comes and stick to their guns. No more pushing over for the litttle guy.

Comic Sans got his title because of this, so no more excuses!

Bye.
ADKLaketrout
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Gas Face to Stern

Sorry David,
You'll always be a creepy little man, secretly carrying around a stinky load in his pants.
Seriously though, I think he had sour grapes over Dr Buss starting a Lakers network, and by denying the CP trade, he got the last laugh.

Such a tool.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:

CHAMP24 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
2019 wrote:
Stern was the guy who said his ideal finals was the Lakers vs the Lakers so I doubt he though it was a good business move to keep CP3 from LA. If what's reported by Coon is true, that Mitch decided to play hard ball or non at all, then that's frustrating but also understandable. I'm sure there was a meeting point of what could have been done to make it happen. However, we were backed into a corner.

Having said all that, F Stern for even talking about it again and even bigger finger to him for trying to make Mitch look like the incompetent/irrational/panicky one here.

Like other said here, there was a clear conflict of interest for the league owning a team and then taking the GM's power away once he pulled of something that 28 other teams didn't like. That was the issue and that was the person who panicked.

People misquote that one all the time. He actually said that was probably the best ratings finals. But he was clear in both his words and his actions that he wanted to create a more info style parity model and remove the advantages of the big market teams like the Lakers.

(bleep) stern. He is full of (bleep).

Come to a Laker Game Stern and see what the fans think of your "fake news". They would correctly booed you.

We are not as ignorant as you think.

I guarantee you that the fans know the truth.

You destroyed the deal because of the pressure from the other owners.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Not liking all these shots taken at Kupchak after he is removed as GM.
(bleep) you Stern.

I wanted change in the Lakers front office
But Stern is a piece of (bleep) in my eyes.

Lakers negotiated a deal with another GM.
The deal was presented to Stern.
He didn't want to do it.
Not Kupchak's fault that Stern didn't want to do a deal that his GM agreed with Kupchak on.

Tell em, Wolfpack. Lotta Laker fans out there, Dave. Wrong team to ef with. Hope he's annoyed about not being able to control the image on this one until the day he croaks. You can tell he's used to having that kind of control. Every time he talks about this, the same people who detested him then, detest him even worse. He can't undo it and he should learn to just shut the mouth up about it. His true motive was revealed the first time around with "bball reasons". Hope he chokes on a shrimp at a swanky restaurant. Or a piece of lobster shell -- something that conveys the money he unwittingly dove into due to Jordan, Magic, and Bird.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject:

I remember differently, Demps was authorized to make trades. Just not ones that benefited the Lakers apparently.

What a croc
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
I remember differently, Demps was authorized to make trades. Just not ones that benefited the Lakers apparently.

What a croc

Not only that, bit Jac Sperling was supposed to be the fiduciary, the guy who acted as the owner on the league and stern's behalf because neither stern nor a committee of owners could not be in an unsolvable and detrimental position of conflict.
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject:

I say we make Stern void and null but never mentioning his memory again.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

Morey called Mitch the best negotiating executive in the league.
Pau Gasol trade? Come on.
The CP3 trade which I never liked, was a good negotiation.

I think Mitch made many many mistakes (Biggest being alienating the Jeannie side to side or go to bed with Jim, which may have been something he had no choice in) in recent years, most of them on coaching decisions than anything else.

But to now question Mitch as a negotiator, or say he made a panic move. I mean come on. The ONE great thing about Mitch was how much of an assassin he was in trades. He never panics. Never. BS.

I can't stand these cheap shots at a man that brought so many good times to the Lakers. Yes it was time for a change, but these articles that now pop up and now Stern even, I despise that (bleep). Laker fans need to remember Mitch completely different than Jimbo. Mitch was a great great Laker GM and asset. I love what that dude did for my fav team. We need to have a Mitch Kupchak appreciation night in a future game.

Stern's a mother (bleep).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

I wish Mitch would nut up and reply to stern via the media, but we have a better chance at trading for Lebron than Mitch speaking up for once in his life
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I think Mitch made many many mistakes (Biggest being alienating the Jeannie side to side or go to bed with Jim, which may have been something he had no choice in) in recent years, most of them on coaching decisions than anything else.

But to now question Mitch as a negotiator, or say he made a panic move. I mean come on. The ONE great thing about Mitch was how much of an assassin he was in trades. He never panics. Never. BS.

I can't stand these cheap shots at a man that brought so many good times to the Lakers. Yes it was time for a change, but these articles that now pop up and now Stern even, I despise that (bleep). Laker fans need to remember Mitch completely different than Jimbo. Mitch was a great great Laker GM and asset. I love what that dude did for my fav team. We need to have a Mitch Kupchak appreciation night in a future game.

Completely agree. The way he was disappeared after all of his contributions for decades.
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
I wish Mitch would nut up and reply to stern via the media, but we have a better chance at trading for Lebron than Mitch speaking up for once in his life

Nut up? Kupchak would not stoop to that low level. Kupchak doesn't play in the mud. Never has, never will.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject:

David Stern lucked out with Jordan/Shaq&Kobe. His real contributions were a dress code, the WNBA which loses money year after year, and the only 4 lockouts in NBA history. There's what goes on his epitaph.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Something like that, but on steroids since we're talking sibling executors of a multi-billion $ business with a high public profile. At this point Jim's shortcomings are in the rear view and we are left with someone who was willing to injure the team to get what she wanted.

As I look at the Jerry West rumors about the Clippers, it makes me wonder why boasting the least experienced front office in the league we wouldn't be all over a reunion with West. I mean the Warriors want him back. Why are we above the idea? It's hard not to wonder if it isn't more Jeanie personal agenda at the cost of the team.

One thing is for sure though, she no longer has Jim as her human shield. She has to own it now.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
David Stern lucked out with Jordan/Shaq&Kobe. His real contributions were a dress code, the WNBA which loses money year after year, and the only 4 lockouts in NBA history. There's what goes on his epitaph.

No dude. Davis stern may be a filthy little (bleep) sucker but HE did so a lot for the NBA. He built the league globally instead of locally. If anything he saved the NBA and made it lucrative.

The veto (bleep) he pulled on the lakers was just pressure he succumbed too by small market owners and coach Gregg popovich whining like little (bleep)
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Something like that, but on steroids since we're talking sibling executors of a multi-billion $ business with a high public profile. At this point Jim's shortcomings are in the rear view and we are left with someone who was willing to injure the team to get what she wanted.

As I look at the Jerry West rumors about the Clippers, it makes me wonder why boasting the least experienced front office in the league we wouldn't be all over a reunion with West. I mean the Warriors want him back. Why are we above the idea? It's hard not to wonder if it isn't more Jeanie personal agenda at the cost of the team.

One thing is for sure though, she no longer has Jim as her human shield. She has to own it now.

I think that the time away from the Lakers has made Jerry West perhaps too pragmatic for the revered who are coming onboard in the FO and other involvement who think that things can be rectified relatively easily and swiftly.

Having West around would also prevent any of the next generation (Jeanie, Magic etc) from showing themselves as being worthy heirs to the previous generation (Jerry West, Jerry Buss etc) in regards to running the Lakers.

I think of it as a youngster ready to move away from a bicycle with training wheels to a regular bicycle. Jerry West would likely prevent some of the bruises, scraped knees & elbows etc that the new FO team are likely going to get. Jeanie is 55 and Magic is 57, so they probably feel that they can do this themselves without the training wheels (Jerry West).
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
rwongega wrote:

No dude. Davis stern may be a filthy little (bleep) sucker but HE did so a lot for the NBA. He built the league globally instead of locally. If anything he saved the NBA and made it lucrative.

The veto (bleep) he pulled on the lakers was just pressure he succumbed too by small market owners and coach Gregg popovich whining like little (bleep)

Jordan did that as did the rest of the stars. Stern just rode their coattails.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

+10000000
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject:

RIP David Stern.

Bump.

Last edited by AFireInside619 on Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Good riddance
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Good riddance

bruh..
Carushow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Good riddance

WTF
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: