David Stern: "There was never a trade to void" ??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: David Stern: "There was never a trade to void" ??

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244231/David-Stern-There-Was-Never-A-Chris-Paul-To-Lakers-Trade-To-Void

"I'm going to correct your language: What 'cancellation'? The GM [Dell Demps] was not authorized to make that trade," said Stern. "And acting on behalf of owners, we decided not to make it. I was an owner rep. There was nothing to 'void.' It just never got made.

Semantics- he is still Laker Public Enemy number 1!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Taking one from the Trump school of denials
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Depends on what the definition of is is.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Lmaoooo he really is senile
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Tell me he's not going to HOF
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Tell me he's not going to HOF

He's going to hell.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

As an owner, you have the right to veto a trade you don't like.

Problem is that Stern should have NEVER been an owner rep. There was a steep conflict of interest and he got bullied by other owners.

Also, if Demps was not authorized to make the trade, he should have been told not to send in any trade for league approval without first getting consent from "owner rep". Again, owner rep and league commissioner should have never been the same thing.

It's similar to Trump being president and also full time making his business decisions. Even Trumps knows he has to choose one of the other.
kobedagoat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
As an owner, you have the right to veto a trade you don't like.

Problem is that Stern should have NEVER been an owner rep. There was a steep conflict of interest and he got bullied by other owners.

Also, if Demps was not authorized to make the trade, he should have been told not to send in any trade for league approval without first getting consent from "owner rep". Again, owner rep and league commissioner should have never been the same thing.

It's similar to Trump being president and also full time making his business decisions. Even Trumps knows he has to choose one of the other.

First, to add to your point, a year prior to the trade he was interviewed about possible conflicts of interest and said he wouldn't be involved at all with basketball decisions. I know preaching to the choir, but still, it makes me pissed!

Secondly, Trump doesn't know that. As every report shows he is planning to keep his stake in his businesses, and has tried to find out how he can do both. God help us
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject:

((COMMENT REMOVED - JMK))
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
((COMMENT REMOVED - JMK))

David stern is not a honest person at all.

There that should make the cut
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject:

to be fair, david stern is a horrible person
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
to be fair, david stern is a horrible person

Than my original comment about stern should be reinstated lol
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Can this guy just go away. He will go down as the worst.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject:

He caved in to Dan Gilbert, Michael Jordan and even Mark Cuban
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject:

I've always gotten the sense that Davis stern is an evil human being

I have no proof what so ever
Black Sheep
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject:

At the time it was bad to look at, but I've gotten over it. Chris Paul is a cry baby and not Laker material.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject:

I still don't get how people think we were robbed/undercut in that potential trade scenario. I'm pissed at Cuban and Gilbert for being winy b!tches, and I think it's suspicious how the Pelicans were bought RIGHT after the void and then landed the first pick in the draft, but the outcome of our involvement was perfectly justified.

Let's get over this guys. Stop playing the victim.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
I still don't get how people think we were robbed/undercut in that potential trade scenario. I'm pissed at Cuban and Gilbert for being winy b!tches, and I think it's suspicious how the Pelicans were bought RIGHT after the void and then landed the first pick in the draft, but the outcome of our involvement was perfectly justified.

Let's get over this guys. Stop playing the victim.

you don't get it? you must be intentionally avoiding all the details. what a nonsense comment, i'm sorry. for what you said to be indeed just a "victim" scenario where the fans are simply looking to point a blame finger, you have to basically ignore every relevant fact of what went on. seriously, what are you talking about.
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Taking one from the Trump school of denials

Older than Trump my man.

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman."
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Stern's sentiments there. And always have. Doesn't mean it wasn't frustrating. Doesn't mean it wasn't and still is confusing.

But he didn't veto it as commissioner of the NBA. He vetoed it as acting "owner" of the team. He is fully within his rights as the legal owner of the team to decide whether or not to accommodate a trade involving his team.

Now, I will add that I am opposed in principal to a league being the owner of one of its teams for reasons like this. But, it was what it was, Stern was both owner of the Hornets and commissioner of the league. Just because I didn't like his decision, doesn't mean it was against the rules or law or something.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I agree with Stern's sentiments there. And always have. Doesn't mean it wasn't frustrating. Doesn't mean it wasn't and still is confusing.

But he didn't veto it as commissioner of the NBA. He vetoed it as acting "owner" of the team. He is fully within his rights as the legal owner of the team to decide whether or not to accommodate a trade involving his team.

Now, I will add that I am opposed in principal to a league being the owner of one of its teams for reasons like this. But, it was what it was, Stern was both owner of the Hornets and commissioner of the league. Just because I didn't like his decision, doesn't mean it was against the rules or law or something.

The question isn't whether he was allowed to do this or not. The problem is that it's well known that other owners colluded and pressured him greatly not to keep the Lakers great in the name of "parity". Nevermind that the Miami Heat had just formed. Nevermind that this new CBA was intentionally designed to limit the signing power of the Lakers.

In twenty years when we look back at the league, it's going to be the obvious that actions like these established ZERO parity. LeBron gets free reign of the east and the Warriors in the west right now. Looking back, the only real consequences of that deal are that the Lakers' championship window was slammed shut, Odom being so dejected his career (and almost his life) ended, Pau never played with conviction for us again. Not to mention we were robbed of a Kobe-Lebron finals.

Then Dan Gilbert gets multiple #1 picks and Lebron and there's no more crying about parity. I'm not arguing with anything in your post, I'm just stating why I think this was extremely unethical business practice and I think most fans upset with this are justified.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject:

whatever helps him sleep at night. pathetic "spin" job.

it's pointless to say there was never a trade. and act dumb as to why the rockets and lakers were pissed off. really, stern? then again, it is stern, so it's not a surprise.
crazylakerfan001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I've always gotten the sense that Davis stern is an evil human being

I have no proof what so ever

He always reminded me of Hitler and this is Long before the veto.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

The question isn't whether he was allowed to do this or not. The problem is that it's well known that other owners colluded and pressured him greatly not to keep the Lakers great in the name of "parity". Nevermind that the Miami Heat had just formed. Nevermind that this new CBA was intentionally designed to limit the signing power of the Lakers.

In twenty years when we look back at the league, it's going to be the obvious that actions like these established ZERO parity. LeBron gets free reign of the east and the Warriors in the west right now. Looking back, the only real consequences of that deal are that the Lakers' championship window was slammed shut, Odom being so dejected his career (and almost his life) ended, Pau never played with conviction for us again. Not to mention we were robbed of a Kobe-Lebron finals.

Then Dan Gilbert gets multiple #1 picks and Lebron and there's no more crying about parity. I'm not arguing with anything in your post, I'm just stating why I think this was extremely unethical business practice and I think most fans upset with this are justified.

Truth! The Lakers got robbed in the name of parity by Mr. Conflict of Interest/Laker Public Enemy #1. It was so unfair to Kobe and our franchise.
crazylakerfan001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject:

But does anyone think chris paul, kobe, and often injured Bynum would win a championship? Remember Folks if we got Chris Paul Orlando most likely wouldn't have dealt Dwight Howard to us.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: