If the Lakers didn't trade Shaq, their starting 5 would have been...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: If the Lakers didn't trade Shaq, their starting 5 would have been...

Assuming Kobe would have left as a free agent, the Lakers starting 5 would have been Shaq, Medvedenko, Walton, Rush, Payton with a bench of Cook and Vujacic (George didn't recover from his injury until late in the 2004 season). It's hard picturing that team making the playoffs.
Aphex Twin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject:

They would have acquired Michael Redd. Line-up would have been:

Payton
Redd
Cook
Walton
Shaq
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:

not very fair to say this. if kobe walked and we still had shaq...we would have had all that kobe money to spend. you're assuming that the lakers wouldn't make any moves after kobe walked.

having said that....i'm glad we traded him.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Malone would have been there for a year or two. With Shaq's extension due, and some of our other contracts we wouldn't have been able to sign a max player, at least i don't think so.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:

We would have been able to offer only the MLE:
Shaq $29,464,288
Payton $5,408,700
Fox $4,928,625
George $4,500,000
Medvedenko $3,000,000
Rush $1,172,446
Cook $809,300
Walton $620,046
Vujacic $846,840

Total $50,750,245
link and link

Malone never played a NBA game after that season even though the Spurs tried to recruit him.
Mailman04
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

They wouldn't have been able to take the money they were going to pay Kobe because Shaq's salary would have eaten up much of the salary cap.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Shaq was a great player.

But he is no longer the best bigman or even the most dominating player in the NBA.

The talent he has around him is MORE than what he ever had in LA with Phil minus the Malone/GP season.

Yet, he's still struggling to make that team a top 5 team - let alone a champion.

That speaks far more volumes than any kind of hypothetical roster.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Shaq was a great player.

But he is no longer the best bigman or even the most dominating player in the NBA.

The talent he has around him is MORE than what he ever had in LA with Phil minus the Malone/GP season.

Yet, he's still struggling to make that team a top 5 team - let alone a champion.

Not sure I am following you.

I made my post for two reasons - (1) to answer those that ask "Why didn't we just keep Shaq?" and (2) to show how utterly thin the roster was before Mitch started rebuilding it.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Malone would have stayed if Phil, Payton, and Shaq were still here. He was contemplating coming back with just Rudy and Kobe here. He just didn't want to go to a 3rd team, or a Lakers team he was sure wasn't competing for a ring.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

I'm surprised they haven't shut this thread down yet. However, I'll throw my two cents in before it gets moved or locked.

If Kobe chose to leave the Lakers, Kobe would have worked out a sing and trade so he could have received the max 7-year contract. Kobe's contract was done before the new collective bargaining changed the max to 6-years.

Lakers would have received other players and picks for Kobe in a sign-and-trade.

Therefore, there is no telling what the Lakers would look like except Shaq would certainly be on the Lakers roster.
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

wow? now it makes me think...

...Life without Kobe & Shaq (Nightmare...)
Purple N Gold wouldnt be the same...

Or is it red, white, blue...

Would that mean Kobe may get 2 rafters in Staples:

1) LAL and LAC

But then the Clips:
---------------------
Kobe
Q
Maggette
Brand
Kaman

--------------------
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
I'm surprised they haven't shut this thread down yet. However, I'll throw my two cents in before it gets moved or locked.

If Kobe chose to leave the Lakers, Kobe would have worked out a sing and trade so he could have received the max 7-year contract. Kobe's contract was done before the new collective bargaining changed the max to 6-years.

Lakers would have received other players and picks for Kobe in a sign-and-trade.

Therefore, there is no telling what the Lakers would look like except Shaq would certainly be on the Lakers roster.

And that is based upon....

From the ESPN.com story of Kobe's signing:
Quote:
Kobe Bryant's journey through free agency ended Thursday where it began -- with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Bryant chose the Lakers over the Clippers, remaining with the team he joined in 1996 at age 18 and later helped win three NBA championships.
:
:
:
The Lakers had an advantage over the Clippers financially, able to offer a contract lasting one year longer and worth over $30 million more.

"We had every reason to believe our chances were just as good as the Lakers' chances," Clippers general manager Elgin Baylor said. "It's always disappointing to not get a player like Kobe Bryant. Life goes on. We're looking forward to a good season."

Bryant said he made his final choice Wednesday night, calling it a "tough decision."

"I could see myself playing for the Clippers. Ultimately, it was in my heart to play for the Lakers," he said.

Bryant also spoke with representatives of the Chicago Bulls, Denver Nuggets and New York Knicks, among others, before narrowing the field to the two Los Angeles teams.

No S&T. If he signed with the Clippers, the Lakers would have gotten nothing.
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:

Explain why a Unrestricted FA would do this? Maybe just so the team he is going to gets worse before he gets there Kobe would not sign and trade as a Unrestricted Free Agent.

The Bulls might beat the Pistons with those shooters around Kobe. Hinrich and Gordon would average 18ppg. Curry would average 20 and 7 as well. Phil also goes back to Chicago

Hinrich/Duhon
Gordon/
Kobe/Nocioni
Chandler
Curry (before heart)

Clips win championships for the next 5 years. (Not every year but a few times). Especially if Livingston is good by the time Casell retires. Phil goes to the Clips.

Cassell/Livingston
Kobe(no mobley)
Magette
Brand
Kaman

The Spurs- That line-up beats the all-star team. Popovich makes Kobe a 30/8/6- with 2+ steals, 1+ blocks and a 50% shooter easily in San Antonio.

Parker/Van-Exel
Ginobli/Finley/ Brent Barry
Kobe/Bowen
Duncan/Marks
Rasho/Muhammed

Thank God Shaq left for Odom,Kwame, Bynum and pick instead of Kobe for nothing.
senator kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Geeze that fantasy Spurs team would rip NBA a new one.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Malone would not have stayed. His injury was career-ending.

And that comes from a source a heck of a lot more in-the-know than you, oldschool32.
KoolMo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Why are we assuming Kobe left?
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject:

KoolMo wrote:
Why are we assuming Kobe left?

If Shaq would have stayed, then the answer would have been a definite yes.
Supa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject:

The Spurs had the cap space to sign Kobe, but couldn't have signed Ginobili if they did. Ginobili would have went to Denver. But Kobe wasn't even considering them.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Shaq was a great player.

Not sure I am following you.

I made my post for two reasons - (1) to answer those that ask "Why didn't we just keep Shaq?" and (2) to show how utterly thin the roster was before Mitch started rebuilding it.

Dennis,

You are arguing with Shaq jockers or Mitch haters. Don't even bother wasting your time.

They will refute all your points and think their arm chair wheeling and dealin would have the Lakers on top of the standings.

The besy point I can allude to against Shaq is his current situation. He is being paid MORE than Kobe, 45% of the Cap and yet still not even close to being the best player on his team. Nevermind that he is also struggling to make his team a champion despite having more talen than he had In LA 4 out of the 5 years under Phil.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Aphex Twin wrote:
They would have acquired Michael Redd. Line-up would have been:

With what? With Shaq's salary, all we could offer was the MLE. Redd was a restricted FA, so Milwaukee would have matched that and kept him for about 40% of what they ultimately signed him for.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Buss made the right decision.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:

NOPE! 1st thing out of Buss' mouth was that there would not be any S&T for Kobe because the Lakers were not going to make it easy for someone else to get him. S&T was off the table the moment Kobe opted out.

Plus, as was cited earlier, Kobe was set to take the 6-yr Clippers offer until about 2 hours before he signed with the Lakers. As we ALL know, there has not been a Laker/Clipper deal since Norm Nixon for Byron Scott, and the Clippers have torpedoed several deals/FA signings with the Lakers (anyone remember Lorenzen Wright?).
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject:

You guys are really confusing several issues that don't match:

Malone was not coming back (he was limited physically and mentally).

Kobe was not going to agree to a sign and trade.

You wouldn't have had any cap room in yr 1, but would have had cap room in yr 2 assuming Shaq had opted out and signed for less (like he did in Miami).

90% of the members on this board aren't arguing whether it was better to keep Kobe or Shaq. The clear majority agree that Shaq had to go. The problem many of us have (and that number has been steadily increasing as wisdom and reality seeps in) has to do with what we got back in the trade and why. It is clear that we acquired pieces that didn't realistically fit any long or short term plan to become championship caliber (the entire 07 plan was about one guy . . . Amare. And he ain't coming.).

We didn't get expiring Ks, we didn't get impact players, we didn't acquire athleticism we could keep, we didn't get young cheap talent that could play (Haslem), we didn't get players with trade value (Eddie Jones) and we didn't get better. And it isn't just the money - the real killer is having to wait until 07 (now 08 if we have indeed guaranteed Kwame's 3rd year) to have any chance to add to the roster.

And I don't care if we had gotten a sack of potatoes for him - but not at the cost of tying up my cap for 3 years. Instead we added overpaid junk, and overpaid not-so-junk to our roster, while adding a year of cap inflexibility. And that's a good thing? You've got to be kidding me.

And if you're telling me that was the ONLY way we were keeping Kobe, then I wish everybody would please stop whining about Kobe's lack of help. He did it to himself.

And by the way, the infamous "time constraint" was self-imposed. Shaq had zero leverage. The timing issue had more to do with Kobe - which is truly unfortunate, because he's now left with a talentless roster. They should have promised Kobe that they would move Shaq, but only at the right time and on the right terms. This would've been in the best interests of the team and Kobe. Instead, they panicked. They acted in haste and got a bunch of waste.

My proper contention is that it didn't need to be this difficult - we've made the job of rebuilding much tougher on ourselves. Despite the past successes (for which I am eternally grateful), it doesn't excuse such a horrifically stupid and one sided transaction. And having Kobe and nothing else on the horizon doesn't make me feel any better - we're a lot further than one player away. Because if this is about winning championships, it's the wrong way to go about it.
gdballa03
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Cassell/Livingston
Kobe(no mobley)
Magette
Brand
Kaman

Parker/Van-Exel
Ginobli/Finley/ Brent Barry
Kobe/Bowen
Duncan/Marks
Rasho/Muhammed

[/b]That Clippers squad is sick...but that SA squad is even sicker!

Would SA have had enough to sign both Finley and Van-Exel if Kobe signed with them? How much are they making?
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject:

No (bleep)ing way the Lakers or Kobe agree to a sign-and-trade.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: