Clarkson/filler for Noel. WYD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Sixers call the Lakers for Clarkson. They'll give us Noel. Do you do this deal?
Yes
61%
 61%  [ 112 ]
No
38%
 38%  [ 69 ]
Total Votes : 181

tj24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

Rather get Okafor.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

tj24 wrote:
Rather get Okafor.

This is the perfect move for the Lakers is they're interested in getting worse on defense.
tj24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
tj24 wrote:
Rather get Okafor.

This is the perfect move for the Lakers is they're interested in getting worse on defense.

I'd like to keep the pick and still love Okafor's potential long term.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cochese wrote:
This rumor has been around for a while and I dunno if I'd do it or not. Sometimes I think its a good idea, sometimes I don't.

Noel is being treated like a third stringer right now and he's pissed about it. I'd offer the two second rounders we got from Calderon and if they pass, then oh well. I know people don't like Clarkson, but he is an important player for our bench unit.

Also, if we did trade for Noel we would have way too many big men. i think T-Rob would have to be cut and Tarik benched/traded. I think Noel would want to start, but I dunno if that would happen. He has great potential on defense, but he isn't as good as Mozgov on offense or at setting screens.

There has been a lot of buzz about his attitude and I tend to think its true. If I remember correctly he totally trashed a house he was renting a while ago. As for his attitude on the court, I think he's just frustrated that the 76ers picked him and seemed to show no faith in his abilities by drafting two more centers. He needs out of Philly, pronto.

Basically where I'm stuck at. I'm a believer in trades that get both fanbases unsure about it and discussing it heavily are probably not the worst ideas in the world.

I'm leaning slightly towards yes because he really strikes me as a player who is frustrated and needs a completely new start, and the Lakers really need to get any upside player they can right now without giving up a lot.

But if JC can just go back to treading water like he did earlier in the season, that bench unit could come back. I'm not sure how JC really impacts the Lakers long-term.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

Oh man. Is this is going to be the start of many groundless trade idea threads?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject:

tj24 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
tj24 wrote:
Rather get Okafor.

I get it. But I think his play doesn't fit with this roster or this coaching staff. He could definitely use a different situation though. He needs a team constructed around his strengths.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

You know it.

This is the only trade for the Lakers that I think is kinda feasible and could actually make sense for this season though. The only one.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

You know it.

This is the only trade for the Lakers that I think is kinda feasible and could actually make sense for this season though. The only one.

Yeah but there is no rumor on this or anything so what's to stop a zillion DLO/filler for Cousins thrrads, Deng/filler for Lavine, Ingram/filler for whatever. Just feels like this should go in that other trade ideas forum.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

You know it.

Yeah but there is no rumor on this or anything so what's to stop a zillion DLO/filler for Cousins thrrads, Deng/filler for Lavine, Ingram/filler for whatever. Just feels like this should go in that other trade ideas forum.

Eh, I guess. Someone can close or merge it if they want. I just wanted to wait a day and make a separate thread for it because people are so pissy in the Clarkson & trade threads that it's impossible to have an actual discussion about it.
KG24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

tj24 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
tj24 wrote:
Rather get Okafor.

Yeah, I would like to get Okafor... always considered him a Laker.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject:

Moz is in our 7-footer roll for at least a couple years and LA is developing a young replacement they like. Black has been developing nicely in his 3rd season. Randle will see minutes at Center as well. At four LA has Nance, Randle and increasingly Deng.

However at wing LA has Deng who will continue to morph into more of a four over the years, Ingram who should be splitting his time at guard as he grows, and MWP who should be a coach on the bench already.

LA has three guards who aren't primary playmakers that are more offensive threats that defenders in Lou, Jordan and Young. It never hurts to have a stockpile of guards that can score, but there is a cost defensively and that's where the roster redundancy (or depth if you prefer). If your dealing one of Lou or Clarkson's it's to acquire a player of like quality that better balances the roster. Noel doesn't fit that description.

I haven't seen much of him since the draft, but someone like Stanley Johnson might be more in the mold.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:

Hey if we can remove the pick protection and they'd take Robinson, then I'd do that deal for Noel.

On his way back from injury he could take up the backup 4/5 minutes and we could run lineups with him and Nance which would mean we wouldn't need to have to bring in Randle early to run small with Nance as Noel and Nance would do it just fine.

The thing is, Noel would have to be alright with coming along slowly, and then what would that do with Zubac's mentality? He's expecting that he'll soon be the backup 5 being groomed for the starting 5. What's Noel do to that notion?

Lots of things to consider. Cause I don't see Noel supplementing Mozgov as our starting 5 for another 2 seasons. And we'll be going after Cousins in 2018 anyway so... you just gotta think about what it all means and what Noel is going to think about all of that.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Hey if we can remove the pick protection and they'd take Robinson, then I'd do that deal for Noel.

On his way back from injury he could take up the backup 4/5 minutes and we could run lineups with him and Nance which would mean we wouldn't need to have to bring in Randle early to run small with Nance as Noel and Nance would do it just fine.

The thing is, Noel would have to be alright with coming along slowly, and then what would that do with Zubac's mentality? He's expecting that he'll soon be the backup 5 being groomed for the starting 5. What's Noel do to that notion?

Lots of things to consider. Cause I don't see Noel supplementing Mozgov as our starting 5 for another 2 seasons. And we'll be going after Cousins in 2018 anyway so... you just gotta think about what it all means and what Noel is going to think about all of that.

I really believe that free agency sweepstakes are no longer a thing with the new CBA. If we want Cousins, we're now trading for him.

I think Noel would be a backup 5 until he plays himself back into a rhythm. Sucks what that does for Tarik, so I'm not opposed to unloading him in a deal like this either (from an assets standpoint, I don't like losing him in the locker room).

But in the reality of the new FA market, even if it sends an iffy message to Zubac, I would prefer the team acquire any talent that they can, and develop both to see who pans out. If Zubac continues to develop this season and next, and he proves worthy competition to Noel, and he's still performing well, then we now have two assets, one that we can trade to upgrade talent at another position.

What sense does it make not to acquire talent because we're unsure about a message it sends to our 2nd round pick? Sorry, Zu. Let's get two talented players instead of one.

New CBA is only about drafting and trades. Forget FA. Lakers need upside talent, and Noel could be a catch for that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject:

No way I would pay an injury prone player like Noel $20 mil a year. But if I were to make that deal, I would make sure I had another one to send him elsewhere for something I really wanted.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
No way I would pay an injury prone player like Noel $20 mil a year. But if I were to make that deal, I would make sure I had another one to send him elsewhere for something I really wanted.

It's a worry of mine too, but you really have to look into how the Sixers have handled any of their assets who aren't Embiid/Simmons. They had Noel play through an injury he complained about for months to up his trade value, but they play Embiid covered in bubble-wrap.

If they sat Noel last year when he had tendinitis, I wonder what his picture of health would actually be right now.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

But you're fine with paying that much to an injury prone player like Randle?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike Breen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject:

Put Noel on a well coached team and he has the ability to have Rudy Gobert like defensive impact. This is a no brainer in the FO has faith in Randle developing a consistent jump shot

Edit: or Nance if he's to be our starting 4 in the future. My goodness that defense with Ingram, Nance, Noel. Defense wins championships!

Last edited by Mike Breen on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

I don't know about this trade.

Did noel even play last night? didn't see him out there
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I don't know about this trade.

Did noel even play last night? didn't see him out there

he played 8 minutes, and he didn't play well.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

But you're fine with paying that much to an injury prone player like Randle?

He isn't injury prone. Both missed their first year, though Noel was hurt for much longer while he was in college. Since then he has been out with the knee, while Randle's bone has healed and he has missed very little time. Big difference between chronic knee problems and a broken bone, use a little thought next time.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

Mike Breen wrote:
Put Noel on a well coached team and he has the ability to have Rudy Gobert like defensive impact. This is a no brainer in the FO has faith in Randle developing a consistent jump shot

Edit: or Nance if he's to be our starting 4 in the future. My goodness that defense with Ingram, Nance, Noel. Defense wins championships!

Not if you can't score.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike Breen wrote:

Not if you can't score.

The Detroit team that won in 2004 didn't rely on scoring.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike Breen wrote:

Not if you can't score.

and that was maybe the only example ever in the history of the NBA
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike Breen wrote:

Not if you can't score.

Do you consider Detroit the exception or the rule as it relates to championship teams?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike Breen wrote:

Not if you can't score.

and that was maybe the only example ever in the history of the NBA

History is meant to be broken If the Pistons proved that defense wins even if you don't have superstars it can be done once again.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 2 of 39
Jump to: