Clarkson/filler for Noel. WYD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Sixers call the Lakers for Clarkson. They'll give us Noel. Do you do this deal?
Yes
61%
 61%  [ 112 ]
No
38%
 38%  [ 69 ]
Total Votes : 181

justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it's struck people yet how important it is for the Lakers to get some kind of upside player soon. If they likely miss out on their 2017 pick, something I would never bank on to begin with, they're about to fall behind a lot of teams in the youth movement after this draft regardless of how well D Russ improves. In the new CBA, you have to develop your own talent.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike Breen wrote:
Put Noel on a well coached team and he has the ability to have Rudy Gobert like defensive impact. This is a no brainer in the FO has faith in Randle developing a consistent jump shot

Edit: or Nance if he's to be our starting 4 in the future. My goodness that defense with Ingram, Nance, Noel. Defense wins championships!

Not if you can't score.

The Detroit team that won in 2004 didn't rely on scoring.

Do you consider Detroit the exception or the rule as it relates to championship teams?

Exception, precisely because the game and style has changed since 2004, but if a team ever wants to build a team with a defensive mentality then there is no reason why that team can't have success.
Mike Breen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject:

I do t think having Noel is going to break the offense. He sets good screens and rolls hard, which is all what the top teams are having their bigs doing (Warriors, Cavs, Clippers, Rockets, etc). Plus if Dlo and Ingram continue to progress the offense should be fine
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike Breen wrote:
Put Noel on a well coached team and he has the ability to have Rudy Gobert like defensive impact. This is a no brainer in the FO has faith in Randle developing a consistent jump shot

Edit: or Nance if he's to be our starting 4 in the future. My goodness that defense with Ingram, Nance, Noel. Defense wins championships!

Not if you can't score.

The Detroit team that won in 2004 didn't rely on scoring.

Do you consider Detroit the exception or the rule as it relates to championship teams?

Exception, precisely because the game and style has changed since 2004, but if a team ever wants to build a team with a defensive mentality then there is no reason why that team can't have success.

Sure there is. If the team can't score as VLF said. Defensive teams that can't score, save for rare exceptions, don't win chips.

The fact you brought it up and then called it an exception prves VLFs point.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Getting Noel makes a ton of sense -

You improve the D

You add a asset for a trade down the line

And if we don't want Noel at max money then we let him walk, there is more Clarksons in the NBA then Noels that's 1 reason you do this trade... low-risk / high-reward.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject:

But why does every player in the starting lineup need to be a scorer? It's good sometimes to have an off-ball player who are good defenders and can do the dirty work, like Larry. It's kind of a diss to Mozgov and all, but Noel could fit just fine in the starting lineup imo, after he's worked back into a rotation from his ankle sprain.

Balance is fine, isn't it?
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject:

randall and clarksen for noel saric. but dont think philly want to lose saric
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
randall and clarksen for noel saric. but dont think philly want to lose saric

And the Lakers have no player named Randall and have no desire to trade Clarkson. And there has never been any rumored interest in Noel.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Let's refresh our memories on what an engaged, healthy Noel looks like. Can you imagine how badass our frontcourt would be with both of these guys?

LOOK AT HIM

Do people remember how good this kid is? If the picture of health looks good, he has upside. Randle's jumper is getting more reliable. And for anyone who says, "yeah, but he put up numbers on a bad team." Then what do you say about Embiid? Or any rookie who breaks out on a rebuilding team?

EDIT: I'm not saying he's perfectly healthy right now. I'm not quite saying, do it, yet, either. But there's a lot of reason for why this is not the worst idea in the world if he's healthy.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

No one would ever say that Noel put up numbers on a bad team.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Let's refresh our memories on what an engaged, healthy Noel looks like. Can you imagine how badass our frontcourt would be with both of these guys?

LOOK AT HIM

Do people remember how good this kid is? If the picture of health looks good, he has upside. Randle's jumper is getting more reliable. And for anyone who says, "yeah, but he put up numbers on a bad team." Then what do you say about Embiid? Or any rookie who breaks out on a rebuilding team?

EDIT: I'm not saying he's perfectly healthy right now. I'm not quite saying, do it, yet, either. But there's a lot of reason for why this is not the worst idea in the world if he's healthy.

The only ones who are complaining about getting Noel have no idea his Impact.

He has more star potential then Clarkson... Mitch needs to get on the phone if Noel can be had.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

There have been no mention of interest in Noel by the Lakers, it is just a fan creation, the flavor of the minute. So don't be that guy and complain when we don't trade for him.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
There have been no mention of interest in Noel by the Lakers, it is just a fan creation, the flavor of the minute. So don't be that guy and complain when we don't trade for him.

Both things that you stated here are fine by me. It's an idea that a lot of fans have floated, I kind of like it, but I won't complain much if the org decides to roll with Clarkson and hope he figures it out either. This is a discussion forum though lol
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

LOOK AT HIM

He has more star potential then Clarkson... Mitch needs to get on the phone if Noel can be had.

Explain how you'd use him to most Impactful. What type of plays would you run? How many mins? What would the rotation be?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

LOOK AT HIM

Explain how you'd use him to most Impactful. What type of plays would you run? How many mins? What would the rotation be?

As someone who isn't a coach, is just an NBA fan, and probably has suspect knowledge about rotations:

I'd bring him off the bench, apologize to Tarik, and have him play himself back into a rhythm. Maybe start playing with with 15 mins a game or something, gradually increase.

Then apologize to Mozgov and awkwardly start him when Noel starts playing larger minutes. DLO/Young/Deng/Randle/Noel with a bench unit of Marcelo/Lou/Ingram/Nance/Mozgov, Marcelo playing limited minutes and probably staggering Nick Young to sub in for him later.

So this dings the 2nd unit... probably dings Mozgov's productivity, might hurt chemistry a little bit to start off... hurts a bit in the short term. Will need to trade Mozgov's contract later with an asset attached.

But the Lakers get a prospect who can anchor the starting lineup and makes up for losing a pick in the 2017 draft where a lot of rebuilding teams can make up big ground on the Lakers in a CBA that is solely reliant on drafting talent or trading for it. The Lakers really need to find a way to add more upside talent right now. And they can maybe get one that's elite at a skill highly in need for a lot of teams, defense.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

LOOK AT HIM

If we did get Noel we would need to either trade Black or T-Rob.

And Noel is very mobile, he can play in p&r offense, high pace offense and vice versa, I would think Noel-Moz would be splitting 20-25MPG a piece.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject:

I posted a similar trade idea in the trade/FA discussion but how about something like:

LA gets: Noel, Rubio
PHI gets: Clarkson, Muhammad (expiring), Huertas (expiring/T.O.)
MIN gets: Deng, Covington (expiring/T.O.)

Russell/Rubio/Calderon
Young/Williams
Ingram/
Randle/Nance/Robinson
Mozgov/Noel/Black/Zubac

Some combination of Calderon (expiring), Black and Robinson (expiring) can probably be moved for a backup 3. But that's a pretty nice young core right there.

Last edited by HAWAIIGUY27 on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
I posted a similar trade idea in the trade/FA discussion but how about something like:

MIN gets: Deng, Covington

Russell/Rubio/Calderon
Young/Williams
Ingram/
Randle/Nance/Robinson
Mozgov/Noel/Black/Zubac

Some combination of Calderon (expiring), Black and Robinson can probably be moved for a backup 3. But that's a pretty nice young core right there.

I know Rubio has been ass this season, but I feel like they can get more for Rubio. Also, I'm not really excited about sacrificing wing depth for Rubio, even though it's a positive to get rid of that contract from the Lakers' books. I guess if we can stagger Nick at the three, OK. But it's a headscratcher for the Wolves imo
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

MIN gets: Deng, Robinson (expiring)

Russell/Rubio/Calderon
Young/Williams
Ingram/Covington
Randle/Nance/Robinson
Mozgov/Noel/Black/Zubac

Some combination of Calderon (expiring), Black and Robinson can probably be moved for a backup 3. But that's a pretty nice young core right there.

I know Rubio has been ass this season, but I feel like they can get more for Rubio. Also, I'm not really excited about sacrificing wing depth for Rubio, even though it's a positive to get rid of that contract from the Lakers' books. I guess if we can stagger Nick at the three, OK. But it's a headscratcher for the Wolves imo

While I agree with your concern about losing wing depth for this season, getting Deng off the books would be well worth it for me. We could even consider throwing a max offer at Hayward this offseason. We'd also probably be aboe to get Covington back from Philly by offering Robinson to MIN. I edited the trade to depict that.

Last edited by HAWAIIGUY27 on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

MIN gets: Deng, Covington

Russell/Rubio/Calderon
Young/Williams
Ingram/
Randle/Nance/Robinson
Mozgov/Noel/Black/Zubac

While I agree with your concern about losing wing depth for this season, getting Deng off the books would be well worth it for me. We could even consider throwing a max offer at Hayward this offseason.

I see where you're head is at. Too bad Minny doesn't do this, though.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

MIN gets: Deng, Covington, LAL 2 2nd rounders

Russell/Rubio/Calderon
Young/Williams
Ingram/
Randle/Nance/Robinson
Mozgov/Noel/Black/Zubac

While I agree with your concern about losing wing depth for this season, getting Deng off the books would be well worth it for me. We could even consider throwing a max offer at Hayward this offseason.

I see where you're head is at. Too bad Minny doesn't do this, though.

Would 2 second rounders sweeten the deal enough for them?

Last edited by HAWAIIGUY27 on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject:

That "engaged Noel" video just showed me he's better than Lou Amundson and a bottom 5 Knicks team last year.

Meanwhile Clarkson did this against the best regular season team ever with arguably the best backcourt ever

And this against the best regular season team ever after adding Durant

justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
That "engaged Noel" video just showed me he's better than Lou Amundson and a bottom 5 Knicks team last year.

Meanwhile Clarkson did this against the best regular season team ever

And this against the best regular season team ever after adding Durant

Oh I disagree with your take on Noel completely. Should we throw out D'Angelo's 39 points vs the Nets last season too, then? You're really forgetting what the Noel hype was his rookie season, before he was pushed to the side to showcase Okafor the following season. There was ROY discussion because of how huge of an impact he had defensively per game. He was a steal where he was drafted, too.

He had 30/14 vs the Clippers' Griffin and DeAndre.

11/17/5 BLOCKS against Atlanta, another good team that year. Look at his individual game splits: http://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/2991280/year/2015/nerlens-noel

Read this excellent breakdown of Noel's game his rookie season: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nerlens-noel-the-other-rookie-of-the-year/

If this guy is healthy, he's legit. And he can improve. Yes, Jordan Clarkson had those games against the Warriors. But he's almost 25. He's not going to improve much at this point. And even when he was making shots to start the season, he was still playing worse than the last two seasons. He's regressing in a smaller role and structured offense. Noel has upside and impacts the Lakers at an area they desperately need help with. JC is the Lakers' worst rotation guard.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject:

I'd drive Clarkson to the airport. And that's with no guarantee Noel re-signs
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Im definitely in for shopping some of our players if we can get better defensively.

We need to bring in some defensive talent ASAP.

But to answer the OP id trade Clarkson for Noel in a heartbeat.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 3 of 39
Jump to: