Darko Milicic Finally Happy Working as a Serbian Farmer

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Darko Milicic Finally Happy Working as a Serbian Farmer

Interesting Darko update. He's a farmer in Serbia, weighs 350 lbs, and admits that the hype and expectations ruined his passion for the game:

Quote:
I was the problem. That initial dissatisfaction probably led to me starting to hate and not enjoy playing. There were some situations where I’ve already scored 20 points, but in my head I’m thinking: “When will this game finally end, come on, let’s pack it up and go home.” I just had to feed my ego, I couldn’t care less what’s going to happen the following week. My whole approach since coming to the US was just wrong. I could say I was too young back then, but I chose to go there myself and I obviously wasn’t prepared for what the league would require from me….

Playing in the NBA is a dream come true for majority of basketball players, and everyone should strive to achieve that. But if you can’t get used to the atmosphere you’re living in, you’ll have a bad time, both as a person and as a player. The lifestyle didn’t suit me at all, I’m a very social guy and I like to hang out. There’s none of that in the US, it’s simply go to work and go home. See you at the practice, see you in the plane, see you in the bus, see you at the gym and that’s it. You live game by game, hotel by hotel.

LINK
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

Would love to see his current picture, if he really weights 350.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

When folks say things like "bust...."
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

I kind of see KAT as the player Darko was supposed to be. From the stuff you heard about him back in the day, it sounds like he's being very honest about what happened. I remember at the draft he insisted he can do his interview in English, but he was totally lost and clearly needed the interpreter when he did, and that kind of feels now like a metaphor for how his career began. If he was going to have any chance of fulfilling his potential, it probably needed to be with a team like Denver or Toronto. Getting drafted to a contender and a hard ass coach like Brown was probably the worst thing for him. I'm glad he's found happiness though, being in the NBA obviously made him an angry depressed person.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: