Official LUKE WALTON P&M Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Official LUKE WALTON P&M Thread

I'm having a hard time understanding his rotations. A Byronesque loss like this warrants the creation of this thread imo and we need some place to vent.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject:

So many mistakes...

1) Taking Lou out with 3 mins left

2) Not having Mozgov out there just to SEE if that would have a difference on the boards

3) Not calling a timeout up 6 when we missed consecutive shots
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject:

He played Young and Clarkson late because they were on fire earlier on. Young also has the benefit of being big on defense. I don't have a problem with blaming him for the decision, but it's not hard to understand the thinking behind it.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Too many mistakes to name.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject:

I lament starting to sound like an agenda poster or a broken record, but Russell needs to be out there after a quick rest. He was the guy stabilizing our offense and playmaking. A lineup where only JC and Young can shoot (neither great playmakers) is asking for a loss. It's even more insulting to put in Russell in the last few seconds to chuck a shot.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject:

He should have taken out Randle. Dude was gassed and walking down the court to the offensive end. Bad rotations / rest times in the 4th Q
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject:

HERE IT IS

BEFORE 2017
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Fire Luke?
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

justsomelakerfan wrote:
HERE IT IS

BEFORE 2017

I know I know. But if Luke's gonna be here for the long haul this was gonna be made anyway. I remember cussing out Phil a lot too.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Play some damn centers man. Small ball is going nowhere right now.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Man, I hate contributing to threads like this, but I wasn't happy with his late lineups at all. I understand Nick and Clarkson were hot early, but do we really want to live and die on Nick Young contested jumpers? We needed a creator down the stretch and Lou, our best shot manufacturer, and D'Lo best initiator and arguably best shooter were on the bench in crunch time.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
HERE IT IS

BEFORE 2017

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject:

And a long LG tradition continues...
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Man, I hate contributing to threads like this, but I wasn't happy with his late lineups at all. I understand Nick and Clarkson were hot early, but do we really want to live and die on Nick Young contested jumpers? We needed a creator down the stretch and Lou, our best shot manufacturer, and D'Lo best initiator and arguably best shooter were on the bench in crunch time.

Honestly DLO should be closing out every damn game he's available. He and Brandon and JR should be closing regardless of outcome. We need a guy that can close it out and be a long-term presence on this team. No to Lou/Nick being in that role.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Also Clarkson was phenomenal tonight, but he was getting his looks catch and shoot, early offense ball reversals, and whip passes from DLo. How are you gonna have him out there tryna all of a sudden create in the clutch? And a pick n roll for Young as the ballhandler? Come on man
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

Coming into this season I thought our main goal was to develop our young guys. I see anything but that, I mean it was cool if we were going to end up in the playoffs but as a 12th seed, we shouldn't have Deng,Young and Lou take the most minutes and shots.

I don't care if we win 1 game the entire season, but jesus christ let's develop our future and not these old (bleep). WHAT IS THE POINT????
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
I lament starting to sound like an agenda poster or a broken record, but Russell needs to be out there after a quick rest. He was the guy stabilizing our offense and playmaking. A lineup where only JC and Young can shoot (neither great playmakers) is asking for a loss. It's even more insulting to put in Russell in the last few seconds to chuck a shot.

Yep. I felt like a player-first fan tonight. But there's a notable difference in our movement and spacing when D'Lo is in the game. At the least, Lou should have been back in earlier. Luke seemed to fall for the Nick Young fool's gold. He was hot early, but that rhythm was achieved within the offense. But we were dependent on Nick hitting contested jumpers off one or no passes down the stretch. That is in direct conflict to what this team should be in terms of developing players and building winning habits.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
HERE IT IS

BEFORE 2017

I know I know. But if Luke's gonna be here for the long haul this was gonna be made anyway. I remember cussing out Phil a lot too.

For sure. D'Angelo out towards the end was for sure inexcusable. So was starting MWP a couple weeks ago.

I'm a very happy camper with Luke overall. But Luke was on something tonight. I think he might have been too obsessed with the "hot hand" and forgot about playmaking lol
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
levon wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
HERE IT IS

BEFORE 2017

For sure. D'Angelo out towards the end was for sure inexcusable. So was starting MWP a couple weeks ago.

I'm a very happy camper with Luke overall. But Luke was on something tonight. I think he might have been too obsessed with the "hot hand" and forgot about playmaking lol

also we've lost 10 out of the last 11. I was impressed with the defensive adjustments this game, but you can't just chalk up these losses to injuries. Adjustments in games like the Knicks game were pretty suspect. Sometimes I feel like the coaching staff outsmarts themselves

Last edited by levon on Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject:

i sure hope he rips these guys behind closed doors. Cuz they play 0 defense and just jack 3s.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
KBH wrote:

Honestly DLO should be closing out every damn game he's available. He and Brandon and JR should be closing regardless of outcome. We need a guy that can close it out and be a long-term presence on this team. No to Lou/Nick being in that role.

I feel the same way. There's more to gain from D'Lo, BI and Randle developing chemistry than possibly winning off Nick Young hero shots. If we needed a veteran stabilizer, there's Lou (who was on the bench) who has established himself as this team's best player. Watching the team gawk at Nick and Jordan ball pounding made me want to tear my eyes out.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
i sure hope he rips these guys behind closed doors. Cuz they play 0 defense and just jack 3s.

I would say their defense was solid tonight, other than the fact that they bled points in the 3rd. But Russell and Ingram locked in on Kemba, even JC was fighting over screens, Lou got a block, Randle was blocking everyone.

It felt like the Lakers stabilized and dictated the pace until we got outrebounded and then benched our playmakers for good
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject:

He was screaming at BShaw at some point in this game, looks like he's losing it under pressure
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

levon wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
levon wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
HERE IT IS

BEFORE 2017

also we've lost 10 out of the last 11. I was impressed with the defensive adjustments this game, but you can't just chalk up these losses to injuries. Adjustments in games like the Knicks game were pretty suspect. Sometimes I feel like the coaching staff outsmarts themselves

Very apt description. In one of the first games of the year DB described Luke as a "mad scientist" and the description has fit all year, for better or worse.

MWP starting SG? IT'S SO BAD THEY'LL NEVER SEE IT COMING

BI starting PG? A small gust of wind can knock him over but IN THREE YEARS WE'LL BE UNSTOPPABLE

[maniacal laughter]

Last edited by justsomelakerfan on Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

levon wrote:
Also Clarkson was phenomenal tonight, but he was getting his looks catch and shoot, early offense ball reversals, and whip passes from DLo. How are you gonna have him out there tryna all of a sudden create in the clutch? And a pick n roll for Young as the ballhandler? Come on man

Exactly. Nick and Jordan had most of their success working within the offense with D'Lo as a real initiator. But left to their own devices as initiators, the offense devolves into a pound and chuck show. And the thing is, even if it worked, do we want to be winning on Nick Young hero ball anyway?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12
Jump to: