TANK THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 257, 258, 259  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:
durden-tyler wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:
Trade the top 3 pick, and DLo for John Wall. I hope Wall becomes disgruntled and forces is way out of DC.

That's one of the worst trade I've seen recently, good job.
High usage, can't shoot, average defense, good to very good playmaker. This year he has very solid teamates, what's their record ? And you want to give D'Lo AND top pick ? D'Lo is young, so even if he's struggling, you should recognize potential (see GT stats in the D'Lo thread), with Wall you know what you have. Do you want Wall to be your franchise player ?

Yes, I'd want Wall to be my franchise player for the next 4 season. He's 26, just entering his prime.

23.7 PPG
9.7 Assists
2.3 steals

Shooting 46/34/81. Yeah, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I hope Washington blows their team up. They have struggled to a 13-15 record this year with he and Beal starting most of the season.

Which there is no chance of that happening, and teams can offer better packages for him anyways. Also that still won't get us pass GSW.

Beal would be the guy to move
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
You don't have to call it tanking if you're just plan ol losing. No other way to describe dropping 11 out of 12. Hard to believe we're still only a couple games out of the playoff hunt.

If we're clearly out of it by the deadline, I would look into trading some vets for long term assets. Is that considered tanking?

That would require Mitch doing his job before June.

And what would that job be? How about instead of hot take nimrodery, we get some cogent, "I know what the (bleep) I'm talking about, even a little bit" analysis and observation. Anyone can belly ache.

I mean where do I start...

Well, we can take it all the way back to when we had Pau and he refused to trade Pau for even a late first rounder when the whole world knew Pau was leaving in FA.

How long do you have?

Again, no one was offering even a late first rounder. How about starting with facts you can document instead of whatever speculation works for your idea?
you know this how? Let me guess no one was offering a 2nd rounder either

OK, I'll play. Let's pretend I don't know anything. Since you assert that the Lakers wouldn't accept a late first rounder, the burden is on you, not me. So who specifically offered what for Pau? And if you can't answer that, aren't you just making (bleep) up? Again?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject:

BTW, just to be fair, would you have had a problem if OKC had turned down a second rounder or a late first rounder for Durant last year? Because he left, right? Therefore, at the time, anything would have been better than the nothing they ended up getting. Right?
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
BTW, just to be fair, would you have had a problem if OKC had turned down a second rounder or a late first rounder for Durant last year? Because he left, right? Therefore, at the time, anything would have been better than the nothing they ended up getting. Right?
well that's two different scenarios. One, Thunder were a WCF lock so why would they have traded him for anything? Lakers were a lottery lock. Two, everyone knew Pau was gone, Durant leaving was a shock the day he signed and still a shock to this day. Try again?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
well that's two different scenarios. One, Thunder were a WCF lock so why would they have traded him for anything? Lakers were a lottery lock. Two, everyone knew Pau was gone, Durant leaving was a shock the day he signed and still a shock to this day. Try again?

Actually, we don't know Pau was gone, given that the Lakers pitched him and there is word out there Pau was willing to sign if melo did.

And again, since we are in the proven our assertions business per you, and your assertion to start this sub subject was that LA wouldn't accept a late first rounder for Pau, who offered that pick specifically? I will wait while you desperately google.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject:

BTW, FWIW, I have it from a pretty good source that Pau's people reached out to LA this year...
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject:

At the time I remember wanting to move Pau/Meeks to the Suns for Okafor(exp K) and their lowest 1st round pick in the upcoming draft. They had 3 if I remember correctly.

Good luck finding anything about a Pau deal though. All I can remember is reports of it being hard to move a 19M contract without multi year deals coming back & we wanted to maintain flexibility.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
At the time I remember wanting to move Pau/Meeks to the Suns for Okafor(exp K) and their lowest 1sr round pick in the upcoming draft. They had 3 if I remember correctly.

Good luck finding anything about a Pau deal though. All I can remember is reports of it being hard to move a 19M contract without multi year deals coming back & we wanted to maintain flexibility.

Let me be specific. I'm not asking about what you did or didn't want to do. Nor am i interested in how hard moving a 19 mil contract woukd be (that serves my argument, not yours) I'm asking you for evidence that the Lakers turned down a late first round pick for Pau. You said they did very casually, as a given fact, in your critique of Mitch. I can repeat the sentence for you if you like. So, what specifically are you basing that on?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
At the time I remember wanting to move Pau/Meeks to the Suns for Okafor(exp K) and their lowest 1sr round pick in the upcoming draft. They had 3 if I remember correctly.

Let me be specific. I'm not asking about what you did or didn't want to do. Nor am i interested in how hard moving a 19 mil contract woukd be (that serves my argument, not yours) I'm asking you for evidence that the Lakers turned down a late first round pick for Pau. You said they did very casually, as a given fact, in your critique of Mitch. I can repeat the sentence for you if you like. So, what specifically are you basing that on?

Wrong guy lol. I'm not on either side of the argument just stating facts as I remember.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Wrong guy lol. I'm not on either side of the argument just stating facts as I remember.

Yeah, sorry, thought that was kbg replying. Still waiting for him to back up his assertion. I might be here a whole if the past is any prologue though, so sorry to spend that time confusing you for him.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject:

Oh come one. Tank again. Noooooo I am full of this (bleep)
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject:

durden-tyler wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:
Trade the top 3 pick, and DLo for John Wall. I hope Wall becomes disgruntled and forces is way out of DC.

That's one of the worst trade I've seen recently, good job.
High usage, can't shoot, average defense, good to very good playmaker. This year he has very solid teamates, what's their record ? And you want to give D'Lo AND top pick ? D'Lo is young, so even if he's struggling, you should recognize potential (see GT stats in the D'Lo thread), with Wall you know what you have. Do you want Wall to be your franchise player ?

I'm getting some Derozan dejavu from this post.
I'll say the same thing about Wall, that I said about Derozan last season.
We'd be lucky to get him. He isn't coming here. If he leaves his current team, it'll be for an even better roster (not us).

But I guess Cousins would be a better comparison. Since we're talking trade and not free agency. Well teams like Sacramento and Washington aren't trading away their all star players. Nobody is showing up to see a Wizards game if Wall isn't on the roster. Same goes for the Kings and Cousins.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject:

If it wasn't for the new upcoming CBA, I would hate this. But now, the league teams now have no choice but to tank if you are not a playoff team. Otherwise, you're a treadmill team for a decade.

So...yeah, I think we have one more tank in us sadly.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject:

Lakers are only 1 game out of the 8 spot, which means they're not going to tank.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

The tank is inevitable. If we keep the pick I'd trade it for a star.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject:

Part of me would have loved Pau on this team
1) Good pro
2) Could definitely be a veteran leader
3) Great mentor to Zubac
4) He doesn't mesh with Lukes style completely obviously, but in the half court? Nice range, great passer.

To bad it's other things that probably held that back, defense, speed, etc

I also felt Pau left on a bit of a sour note and it would have been nice to have him come back to close things out helping the next group, I think he has the type of personality to do that and things would end more positively for a laker who brought a lot to the table in the most recent championship runs

As for Wall, I'd love that, but I don't think I'd move dlo in that deal.....ingram with other players like JC and one of nick or lou .....if DC would do something like that, which probably isn't likely that would actually be an awesome back court for us d lo and wall, and I think Randle particularly fits in well with that group with his speed
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject:

If a team drafts a superstar, they can lock them up to 14-15 years with the new CBA. It used be 8-9 years prior in the previous CBA. Let the tanking begin.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject:

If we keep this year's pick we will also keep the 2019 pick from Dwight Howard trade and we will no longer owe them a first round pick. If we loose this years pick, we will also loose the 2019 first round pick (unprotected). I will be really mad if the front office cannot see the reasons for tankings.

Strong reasons:
1) Good change at a top-3 pick in a loaded draft class.
2) Ability to keep the unprotected first round pick in 2019.
3) New CBA will make it real hard to get any superstar in the first 13-15 years of their career...which is practically their lifetime.
Black Sheep
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject:

RetroNikes wrote:
Lakers are only 1 game out of the 8 spot, which means they're not going to tank.

2 1/2 out of 8th. Portland is 13-18
Also 1 1/2 out of last place in the West

West is 7 good and rest are trash. But I'm tired of tanking we need to start winning.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject:

Well, if it is a tank, it is a not an intentional one. We are hurt by the slow development of our high priced free agents and the injury bug. Our bench has played very well in stretches, our defense is horrible but that happens when you play a lot of young guys. I think Luke started off much better than anyone thought we would, but the injuries have taken a toll, so now we have lost like 10 of 11 games. We need a better offensive SF until Brandon's offensive game develops, but otherwise I think we are still on course.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

The Pau trade never happened because they weren't in rebuilding mode. They were still trying to max out Kobe's final years and there was simply no way to make the team better in a Pau trade unless some low pick developed and became a star but even that would have been a 3-4 year wait that no one was willing to make at that time.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
BTW, FWIW, I have it from a pretty good source that Pau's people reached out to LA this year...

Do you know why they didn't sign him? Did they have interest?
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

just draft one of those explosive pgs please. Sick of seeing this team settle for jumpers since no one can get past the defender without a screen
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
If it wasn't for the new upcoming CBA, I would hate this. But now, the league teams now have no choice but to tank if you are not a playoff team. Otherwise, you're a treadmill team for a decade.

So...yeah, I think we have one more tank in us sadly.

This is the only reason I'm giving tanking a bit of consideration right now....

At this point though - our players have been really hyped up about being a good team - So I think it could demoralize them..
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
just draft one of those explosive pgs please. Sick of seeing this team settle for jumpers since no one can get past the defender without a screen

Most guards in the NBA don't anyway... It's really about what pace you come off the screen/what threat you are to take it all the way to the cup
I think DLo will be good at this next year so I'm not trippin'.
I do really like this draft class though..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 257, 258, 259  Next
Page 3 of 259
Jump to: