TANK THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 257, 258, 259  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

I just don't think Hinkie's plan is replicable.

He was fortunate (until he wasn't when he was fired) that the group of owners signed off on essentially losing as much as they could for 3-4 years.

how many franchises can survive doing that? (which is probably why Lakers have tried to dupe the fans into thinking we are trotting out a competitive team these past 3-4 years).
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject:

I'm glad this is a top heavy PG draft. I don't trust DLO's knees
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

He was fortunate (until he wasn't when he was fired) that the group of owners signed off on essentially losing as much as they could for 3-4 years.

how many franchises can survive doing that? (which is probably why Lakers have tried to dupe the fans into thinking we are trotting out a competitive team these past 3-4 years).

I don't even think Hinkie would assume he could do the exact same thing he did in Philadelphia. But what will translate is his skills at trading lesser assets for better ones, signing talented undrafted players, and avoiding albatross contracts with over-the-hill vets. He had to do what he did because the cupboard was bare of young talent. That's not the situation here.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't even think Hinkie would assume he could do the exact same thing he did in Philadelphia. But what will translate is his skills at trading lesser assets for better ones, signing talented undrafted players, and avoiding albatross contracts with over-the-hill vets. He had to do what he did because the cupboard was bare of young talent. That's not the situation here.

Sure. But he was given 3-4 years to intentionally and openly tank. To cause the team to not even have NBA quality players playing on some nights. It was rough to watch.

I don't think we will ever see something like that.

The biggest glaring weakness in the Hinkie is Brilliant narrative is how he botched the #3 pick and selected Okafor when Porzingis was there.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sure. But he was given 3-4 years to intentionally and openly tank. To cause the team to not even have NBA quality players playing on some nights. It was rough to watch.

The biggest glaring weakness in the Hinkie is Brilliant narrative is how he botched the #3 pick and selected Okafor when Porzingis was there.

And Jerry West passed on Larry Nance Sr. for Mike McGee. He called it one of his biggest regrets. No front office ever bats a thousand. Funny enough, Hinkie would be the first one to admit the draft is a complete crapshoot. That's why he wants the most rolls of the die.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And Jerry West passed on Larry Nance Sr. for Mike McGee. He called it one of his biggest regrets. No front office ever bats a thousand. Funny enough, Hinkie would be the first one to admit the draft is a complete crapshoot. That's why he wants the most rolls of the die.

Sure, but don't understand based on his advanced analytics and a replication of much of Morey's concepts (pace/space, 3s and layups, no post up bigs...which is why they were happy to finally move on from Dwight), why they went that way.

if they trade Oak for what amounts to be a JC-level player (borderline replacement level player), that's an awful squandering of a #3 pick.

otherwise, it was an interesting, probably 1 time sequence of years that the NBA basically intervened against. I don't see it being replicated elsewhere to be honest.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Oof. Then don't trust Dennis Smith Jr. recovering from his ACL injury.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I'm relying more on the untrue, but fun theory that there will be a "frozen envelope" top 3 pick for the Lakers this year, regardless of whether we are #1 worst or #14 worst.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sure, but don't understand based on his advanced analytics and a replication of much of Morey's concepts (pace/space, 3s and layups, no post up bigs...which is why they were happy to finally move on from Dwight), why they went that way.

if they trade Oak for what amounts to be a JC-level player (borderline replacement level player), that's an awful squandering of a #3 pick.

otherwise, it was an interesting, probably 1 time sequence of years that the NBA basically intervened against. I don't see it being replicated elsewhere to be honest.

We'll never know why that choice was made. Maybe they were afraid Embiid would end up like Bill Walton. Maybe they were ready to flip Okafor for the right price. Maybe they thought Okafor could build on his skillset. Maybe the ownership couldn't stomach taking a relative unknown in Porzingis. It's impossible to know without insider information. Hell, maybe Porzingis gives them more wins and they miss out on drafting Simmons.

I do have a feeling some team will give Hinkie another chance at GM. Whether he can replicate what he did in Philly or whether he'll even need to remains to be seen.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Hinkie's problem (and as someone who lives close to the Philly market) is his issues with dealing with other humans, etc. He utterly lacked the human touch and has pissed off so many agents with the nearly 4 year deals he locks players into at minimum deals (which is ironic b/c said agent approved at the time).

If he wants to do another Process, I can't imagine another franchise stomaching 3-4 years of intentional tanking.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Hinkie's problem (and as someone who lives close to the Philly market) is his issues with dealing with other humans, etc. He utterly lacked the human touch and has pissed off so many agents with the nearly 4 year deals he locks players into at minimum deals (which is ironic b/c said agent approved at the time).

If he wants to do another Process, I can't imagine another franchise stomaching 3-4 years of intentional tanking.

Yeah, he's definitely not the best people person around. He might be better suited in a situation like Zaidi and Friedman have with the Dodgers. Kind of a two-headed monster of sorts.

Last edited by AC Green's V-Card on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Mitch/Hinkie FTW lol
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Mitch/Hinkie FTW lol

Curious to see what kind of chops Ryan West has. Clearly he's been very involved in the draft process which has been one of our most successful areas of late.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm relying more on the untrue, but fun theory that there will be a "frozen envelope" top 3 pick for the Lakers this year, regardless of whether we are #1 worst or #14 worst.

There better be, the NBA still owes us for the CP3 debacle
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah, he's definitely not the best people person around. He might be better suited in a situation like Zaidi and Friedman have with the Dodgers. Kind of a two-headed monster of sorts.

Yeah. With a strong figurehead to speak on behalf of the organization.

Isn't that what was going on with Morey and Hinkie? I think Hinkie has a huge ego and would never agree to that.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Lakers need to tank for sure.

Trade Young and Lou for whatever you can get! Don't let Young walk for nothing this summer if you don't plan on giving him a contract now.

Shut down Deng or start bringing him off the bench in a 6th man role.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't think that's a glaring weakness. No one is a perfect drafter. Jerry West was one of the best talent evaluators ever, but he still made mistakes -- George Lynch over Sam Cassell, Anthony Peeler over Latrell Spewell. If your standard is perfection, everyone fails.

The reason I think other GMs won't replicate his strategy is because he got fired. This stuff always takes longer than people expect.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't think that's a glaring weakness. No one is a perfect drafter. Jerry West was one of the best talent evaluators ever, but he still made mistakes -- George Lynch over Sam Cassell, Anthony Peeler over Latrell Spewell. If your standard is perfection, everyone fails.

The reason I think other GMs won't replicate his strategy is because he got fired. This stuff always takes longer than people expect.

Oak was such an antithetical pick. That's merely my point. It went against everything that Hinkie was preaching. Lots of 76ers fans were not happy with that pick.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Oof. Then don't trust Dennis Smith Jr. recovering from his ACL injury.

I dont trust his Lou Williams height.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Oak was such an antithetical pick. That's merely my point. It went against everything that Hinkie was preaching. Lots of 76ers fans were not happy with that pick.

Can you imagine how stacked they would be if they had picked Porzingis or Booker instead?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

its very replicable with a few tweaks in my opinion. I think a lot of smart fans wished Hinkie was their GM because they have been losing for nearly a decade. Hell, we have been losing 3-4 years.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

its very replicable with a few tweaks in my opinion. I think a lot of smart fans wished Hinkie was their GM because they have been losing for nearly a decade. Hell, we have been losing 3-4 years.

The peculiarity was the ownership group absolutely signing off on it for the first 3 years. I think the NBA intervened and then Hinkie's head rolled.

I don't see any franchise that would allow the franchise to so overtly tank like that again.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Only teams we have to worry about for tank are BROOKLYN (they'll be better when Lin is back and then have no reason to tank), MIAMI (they're awful) and DALLAS.

Philly is getting better.

PHO is on level as us so might be close.

Everyone else is better.

Ideally we finish around 3rd worst but jump to #1 and Brooklyn/Boston slides down to like 4-5
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The peculiarity was the ownership group absolutely signing off on it for the first 3 years. I think the NBA intervened and then Hinkie's head rolled.

I don't see any franchise that would allow the franchise to so overtly tank like that again.

thats the tweaks....I agree you have to at least present professional level basketball, which the 76'ers failed to do for almost 2 seasons....really until they brought in Ish Smith. but in regards accepting it take more than a season to really strip down the current product and obtain future assets, then a year or two to maneuver those assets, and another 1-2 years of putting those assets in place. 3-5 Years of not being in contention for playoffs.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject:

iimarshon wrote:
Only teams we have to worry about for tank are BROOKLYN (they'll be better when Lin is back and then have no reason to tank), MIAMI (they're awful) and DALLAS.

Philly is getting better.

PHO is on level as us so might be close.

Everyone else is better.

Ideally we finish around 3rd worst but jump to #1 and Brooklyn/Boston slides down to like 4-5

I think Dallas will actually improve 2nd half of season with healthy Dirk....Cuban swore he would not tank until at least 70 games into season to improve pick position....not seeking a top pick.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 257, 258, 259  Next
Page 33 of 259
Jump to: