View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
I think the "offense" was that he reduced her to a sex object(judged her for her looks and not who she was as a person despite his comment including she was more than a pretty face)

Still people need to get over themselves if they find this offensive.

His offense was in being a normal young man. I guess that is frowned upon by the snowflakes these days.

"These days" as in the ones where respect for women and minorities is frowned upon by some people after Trump encouraged and empowered such an atmosphere.

Yes but what Martin said wasn't disrespectful is my point(and I'm a POC and a woman saying this)

DL Hugely though is another story when he made an unfunny joke how a black woman losing her child wouldn't die the day after her child did she would say god doesn't make mistakes.

That was way more offensive
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
I think the "offense" was that he reduced her to a sex object(judged her for her looks and not who she was as a person despite his comment including she was more than a pretty face)

His offense was in being a normal young man. I guess that is frowned upon by the snowflakes these days.

"These days" as in the ones where respect for women and minorities is frowned upon by some people after Trump encouraged and empowered such an atmosphere.

Yes but what Martin said wasn't disrespectful is my point(and I'm a POC and a woman saying this).

It certainly wasn't intended to be. But as any empathetic person should understand, intent doesn't erase content. I don't have a problem with what Martin said, but I can understand why, given the wording, it could come across as misogynistic to some.

Quote:
DL Hugely though is another story when he made an unfunny joke how a black woman losing her child wouldn't die the day after her child did she would say god doesn't make mistakes.

Certainly another regrettable and insensitive comment. But one I am sure some willingly shrug it off the same way we do Martin's. The point is that just because some don't find something to be offensive, doesn't mean it can't be construed as such.

The idea that people being offended is the problem versus the arrogance of those who aren't offended that leads them to make comments like "snowflake" etc. is far more problematic and emblematic of the problems society faces than actual sensitivity to others is.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Yes but what Martin said wasn't disrespectful is my point(and I'm a POC and a woman saying this).

It certainly wasn't intended to be. But as any empathetic person should understand, intent doesn't erase content. I don't have a problem with what Martin said, but I can understand why, given the wording, it could come across as misogynistic to some.

Quote:

Certainly another regrettable and insensitive comment. But one I am sure some willingly shrug it off the same way we do Martin's. The point is that just because some don't find something to be offensive, doesn't mean it can't be construed as such.

The idea that people being offended is the problem versus the arrogance of those who aren't offended that leads them to make comments like "snowflake" etc. is far more problematic and emblematic of the problems society faces than actual sensitivity to others is.

I agree with DMR on this one. He clearly did not mean it to be negative, but the timing for the observation was poor.

She was a beautiful woman in her youth, but certainly was a lot more than that. Which I am sure Steve Martin knows and believes, it was not the best choice of words and likely will be quickly forgotten.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject:

The people being offended in this case are part of the problem.

But not because they were offended more so than how they responded.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

I agree with DMR on this one. He clearly did not mean it to be negative, but the timing for the observation was poor.

She was a beautiful woman in her youth, but certainly was a lot more than that. Which I am sure Steve Martin knows and believes, it was not the best choice of words and likely will be quickly forgotten.

Which you're sure Steve Martin knows and believes?

You act as if he didn't know her personally. They were friends.

What the hell is the big deal here? He first met Carrie when he was a young man. He could see that she was beautiful. After getting to know her, he found her to be bright and witty as well.

But hey good job bullying the 71 year old man into deleting his tweet. Oh, and these same folks weren't going after Charlie Sheen either. So the idea that these folks are all about proper decorum is pure garbage because they should have spent their time going after a person wishing death than an old man paying a nice tribute to his friend.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject:

It's laughably ironic to hear people use the term "bullying" while they advocate the attitude that people shouldn't express their feelings when they are offended and if they do they should be criticized for it and are should be derided with derogatory terminology such as being labeled as "snowflakes".

Particularly when those people are males discussing the concept of sexism.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
It's laughably ironic to hear people use the term "bullying" while they advocate the attitude that people shouldn't express their feelings when they are offended and if they do they should be criticized for it and are should be derided with derogatory terminology such as being labeled as "snowflakes".

And yet, you criticize those who are offended by Martin's detractors for expressing their feelings. That is laughably ironic.

And I see nothing wrong with males discussing the concept of sexism any more than white people discussing the concept of racism.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

And yet, you criticize those who are offended by Martin's detractors for expressing their feelings.

Once again your lack of reading comprehension and/or intellectual dishonest and/or incessant need to troll/argue against everything rears its head. There's nothing ironic in anything I have said.

I said very clearly that I think the uproar over Martin's comment was overblown. I simply added that I that I can see why some people took offense given the wording and the implications of it.

What I criticized was the overblown reaction by those who attacked those who were offended by the comment which lead them to use bullying terms like "snowflake" and the irony of those who accused the people who were offended as being "bullys".

And I thank you for proving my criticisms in that regard to be correct.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

And yet, you criticize those who are offended by Martin's detractors for expressing their feelings.

Once again your lack of reading comprehension and/or intellectual dishonest and/or incessant need to troll/argue against everything rears its head. There's nothing ironic in anything I have said.

I said very clearly that I think the uproar over Martin's comment was overblown. I simply added that I that I can see why some people took offense given the wording and the implications of it.

What I criticized was the overblown reaction by those who attacked those who were offended by the comment which lead them to use bullying terms like "snowflake" and the irony of those who accused the people who were offended as being "bullys".

And I thank you for proving my criticisms in that regard to be correct.

It's laughably ironic to hear people use the term "troll" while they advocate the attitude that people shouldn't express their feelings when they are offended and if they do they should be criticized for it.

What I criticized was the overblown reaction by those who were offended by the Martin comment which lead them to use bullying terms like "sexist".

Does any of that sound ... familiar?

Now do you see why those who act as if they were offended by Steve Martin's comments are part of the problem?

When a person is paying tribute to a friend they had just lost, you don't express your feelings, you keep your mouth shut.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure Steve meant she was the whole package (something he couldn't know until later), he just worded it (the words turns out) like the brains were a surprise or a bonus.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I'm pretty sure Steve meant she was the whole package (something he couldn't know until later), he just worded it (the words turns out) like the brains were a surprise or a bonus.

That sums it up perfectly. And also sums up why Twitter is something to be avoided when it comes to conveying anything meaningful. It's medium where expediency and minimalism rule over substance.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/joely-fisher-pays-tribute-sister-carrie-you-lost-princess-leia-i-lost-my-hero-guest-column-9602

Quote:
Joely Fisher Pays Tribute to Sister Carrie: "You Lost Princess Leia, I Lost My Hero" (Guest Column)

"We promised we’d spend Christmas together. It’s a promise we kept, although not in a way either of us had anticipated," the late actress' half-sister writes in a remembrance.
On the eve before my sister Carrie took to the sky in the silver bird that would be her transport to her dramatic and untimely end, we had a long conversation. We spoke of love, age, our children and a dozen other subjects.

When I say spoke, I mean we texted each other on our smartphones, she in London and I in Laguna Beach. But even via text, and oceans apart, we could still hear the sound of each other's voice, that distinct Fisher timber that was full of mutual admiration. I clung to her every word, as I usually did, as we all did. Talking to Carrie always made me feel more interesting by osmosis. She expressed her amazement and pride regarding the anniversary of my marriage — 20 years this past New Year’s Eve — and compared my two-decade commitment to her own somewhat less steady love life. She threw in the word “crickets.” Quintessentially Carrie.

My sister would have wanted a dramatic exit; she just might have wished for another couple of decades before making one. She told me she wanted to see this political horror play out. She likely would have crafted a sharp, piercing novel about her non-conventional goings on with this national nightmare as the backdrop. But mostly, she would have wanted us to celebrate her life, her words and for Billie to be whole. In time she will be. She is smart and soulful and magic.

We spoke of our dear mothers, Connie [Stevens] and Debbie [Reynolds], both of whom have been fragile in the past year and how our roles as daughters had changed. My own belief is that our mutual father, Eddie Fisher, was everything you heard about him: charming, wildly talented, a playboy, a gambler, lost but he gravitated toward the spectacular in wives.

In 1977, Connie bought a house in Malibu. We walked out onto this tiny deck — sand and salt everywhere — and noticed that there was a swimming pool next door. Connie asked, "Who the hell has a swimming pool on the beach?" The real estate agent giggled and said, "Debbie Reynolds.” So we spent the better part of our childhoods as neighbors, our two families right next door. I adored Mama Debbie — she was such a character. And I got another sister and a brother in the deal, right there on the beach! Eddie even came to see us all together ... once.

Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill
READ MORE
Mark Hamill's Carrie Fisher Tribute: "Making Her Laugh Was a Badge of Honor" (Guest Column)
During our transcontinental chat before Carrie's fateful flight from London to L.A., we promised we’d spend Christmas together. It’s a promise we kept, although not in a way either of us had anticipated. Throughout the holiday, I sat by her side in a hospital room filled with a cacophony of sounds made by the machines keeping her barely alive. Debbie, of course, was there as well. She told me that she’d been praying for more time. More time for Carrie, for herself and for Connie. I knew if those prayers weren’t answered, Debbie might very well join her daughter.

Of course, Debbie loved nothing more than the spotlight. And I can imagine Carrie is having a laugh right now, rolling her eyes at the kind of crazy ending that only happens in Shakespearn tragedies … and Fisher novels. Carrie’s mom has once again stolen the show, with the ultimate “twirled up” joke (see Postcards From the Edge).

I told both my sister Fish and mama Debs about how I had just returned to the stage. I told Carrie how I wished she could see me running around, singing my (bleep) off and shaking my moneymaker and sent her a snap of me in my cat suit to which she replied, "Dance as long as you can...then keep dancing...but remember to change your shoes."

You all lost Princess Leia and Carrie Fisher; I lost my hero, my mentor, my mirror. My brother Todd has lost his sister and his mother, whom he has said will lay to rest together. There is no universe where these ladies are not due their appropriate pedestals, and both will be memorialized in separate ceremonies in coming weeks. My sister Tricia Leigh and I vow to be whatever our niece Billie needs us to be. We will pick up the saber, use the force ... whatever. We will honor these two magical people who have left the tribe in the way they lived, with grandeur and grace. I want them back but since I know that is not possible, I will soldier on. I have changed my shoes and will keep dancing to honor these magic people.

You can't "right" this (bleep), but you can "write "it. And do I have a hell of a book in me.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

There's nothing wrong with admiring someone for their beauty, and then finding more pleasure in that they're not only beautiful but they have a good personality as well. I see nothing wrong with what Martin said. Really, it's what we all hope for, that we find as many pleasant attributes in other people as we can.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/coroner-releases-autopsy-results-carrie-fishers-death-1014452

Quote:
Sleep Apnea Among Causes of Carrie Fisher's Death, Coroner Reveals

The release states that the 'Star Wars' actress also showed signs of having taken multiple drugs.
Carrie Fisher died from sleep apnea and a combination of other factors, but investigators were not able to pinpoint an exact cause, coroner's officials said Friday.

Among the factors that contributed to Fisher's death was a buildup of fatty tissue in the walls of her arteries, the Los Angeles County coroner's office said in a news release late Friday. The release states that the Star Wars actress showed signs of having taken multiple drugs, but investigators could not determine whether they contributed to her death in December.

Her manner of death would be listed as undetermined, the agency said.

The agency did not immediately respond to a request for additional details about whether a full autopsy report and toxicology results were available.

Sleep apnea is a condition in which a person's breathing pauses during sleep. The pauses may be brief or last several minutes, according to information from the National Institutes of Health. Fisher, 60, suffered a medical emergency on an international flight on Dec. 23. Her mother, longtime movie star Debbie Reynolds, died the following day.

The actresses were laid to rest together at Forest Lawn — Hollywood Hills, a cemetery where numerous celebrities are buried.

Fisher's brother, Todd Fisher, said he was not surprised by the results. He added that his family did not want a coroner's investigation of his sister's death. "We're not enlightened. There's nothing about this that is enlightening," he said.

"I would tell you, from my perspective, that there's certainly no news that Carrie did drugs," said Todd Fisher. He noted that his sister wrote extensively about her drug use and that many of the drugs she took were prescribed by doctors to try to treat her mental-health conditions.

Fisher long battled drug addiction and mental illness. She said she smoked pot at 13, used LSD by 21 and was diagnosed as bipolar at 24. She was treated with electroshock therapy and medication.

"I am not shocked that part of her health was affected by drugs," said Todd Fisher.

He said his sister's heart condition was probably worsened by her smoking habit, as well as the medications she took. "If you want to know what killed her, it's all of it," he said.

Todd Fisher said it was difficult to blame doctors who treated his sister throughout her life because they were trying to help her.

"They were doing their best to cure a mental disorder. Can you really blame them?" said Todd Fisher. "Without her drugs, maybe she would have left long ago."

Fisher made her feature-film debut opposite Warren Beatty in the 1975 hit Shampoo. She also appeared in Austin Powers, The Blues Brothers, Charlie's Angels, Hannah and Her Sisters, Scream 3 and When Harry Met Sally...

She will reprise her role as Leia Organa in the eighth installment of the core Star Wars franchise, The Last Jedi, which will be released in December.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/coroner-cocaine-among-drugs-found-160932061.html

Coke, MDMA, heroin.....
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/coroner-cocaine-among-drugs-found-160932061.html

Coke, MDMA, heroin.....

(bleep) she was doomed
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: