NBC: Jim: ..[F]iring me a ‘big mistake’/ESPN:Jeannie & Magic pg. 3&6 (Update: LATimes: Jeannie will be ready to make decision re Jim (pg. 14)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: NBC: Jim: ..[F]iring me a ‘big mistake’/ESPN:Jeannie & Magic pg. 3&6 (Update: LATimes: Jeannie will be ready to make decision re Jim (pg. 14)

Jim Buss believes that if the team is showing progress, his job is safe.

"If I feel that the strides have been made,” Jim Buss said, “and the team is going in a very positive – not just a positive direction – a very positive direction, I don’t see a switch happening.”

"If the Lakers show progress, Buss said, and “the coach is happy with everything the front office is doing,” he does not expect he will be going anywhere. With those caveats, Buss reinforced his earlier point: “I think it would be a big mistake on the Lakers’ part to make any switches."

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/25/jim-buss-lakers-progress-luke-waltons-approval-would-make-firing-me-a-big-mistake/

Last edited by laker4life on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:14 pm; edited 5 times in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject:

I don't think anyone should be blamed right now, the team is dealing with injuries and different rotations almost every game, we need to actually have our key players if we want to make progress but that hasn't been possible so pointing fingers isn't gonna make you sleep better at night.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject:

I wish the whole blame game and firing Jim Buss and the deadline and all this nonsense would just go away. Just focus on positivity and rebuilding the team and the culture and leave this other nonsense behind.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject:

i mean this team is in a better place right now were they were 365 days ago.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject:

they can't just shut up?
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Sorry Jimmy but we aren't going in a very positive direction yet. We're in a better position than last year by a little. The free agent signings were huge misses while the hiring of Luke was a nice move
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
they can't just shut up?

One sibling does shut up almost exclusively. The other is incapable.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if the Phil Jackson talk is really just... Talk? Does Jeannie really want to bring her relationship to the forefront of the Lakers?

I know all the signs are pointing in one direction... But really, does she want to have her relationship affect the professionalism of the team? And vice Versa? Maybe they want to stay out of each others' business, literally. I'm not saying it's likely one way or another. It's just a thought.

I mean, if we're looking at Ryan West instead next year, I can't help but say that a change in a younger direction in management could be interesting.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
I wonder if the Phil Jackson talk is really just... Talk? Does Jeannie really want to bring her relationship to the forefront of the Lakers?

I know all the signs are pointing in one direction... But really, does she want to have her relationship affect the professionalism of the team? And vice Versa? Maybe they want to stay out of each others' business, literally. I'm not saying it's likely one way or another. It's just a thought.

I mean, if we're looking at Ryan West instead next year, I can't help but say that a change in a younger direction in management could be interesting.

Or whoever is in line that Mitch wants to groom as his successor.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Or whoever is in line that Mitch wants to groom as his successor.

Ryan West is around the team all the time. It sounds like he's the guy, and I really hope he's the guy. Jerry West had a quote in that Oram article about the Lakers' future. He calls into 710 every now and then. Sacramento expressed interest in picking up Ryan West a couple years ago. I hope Ryan's the guy for us and not another team. I really want the team to keep this bridge open.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject:

So much for his promise to resign if we weren't in contention, which he himself defined as WCFs, lol. I guess technically he might have one more year for us to get past the second round, but it doesn't look good if we can't make the playoffs this year.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Well. They gotta keep moving forward.
Hiring Luke was an amazing move and we do have a good core but its clear that we cant just allow them to grow and give them time because there is not a franchise player on our team. Meaning we will need to make some trades. .
Thats whay has to be done but we are going in the right direction.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject:

11-22, most losses in the league, 1 win in their last 12 games. I wouldn't say that's very good. It's an improvement from last year but that's not saying much as last year was a circus. Heads need to roll, enough is enough. How much more of this will we have to endure?? In a couple hours the clippers will once again wipe the floor with them ..... merry Christmas
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject:

17 wins last year had Kobe on the roster who played most of the game, and played terrible. He was arguably the worst player to have a green light. Elephant in the room people don't like to talk about. Last year wasn't rebuilding, it was city to city Kobe concert tour. Would be unfair to say that was part of rebuilding. I think Jim Buss just couldn't articulate around Kobe. He certainly couldn't throw him under the bus and say things like, "Well we can't rebuild until Kobe's gone."
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
17 wins last year had Kobe on the roster who played most of the game, and played terrible. He was arguably the worst player to have a green light. Elephant in the room people don't like to talk about. Last year wasn't rebuilding, it was city to city Kobe concert tour. Would be unfair to say that was part of rebuilding. I think Jim Buss just couldn't articulate around Kobe. He certainly couldn't throw him under the bus and say things like, "Well we can't rebuild until Kobe's gone."

Agreed.

There was no rebuild going on, we tried to re-tool for his last years here. We just happened to suck so bad that we got good draft picks. If they were rebuilding, it would have been a fire sale. Go into asset control, drop your vets, bring in draft picks.

I love Kobe and have a great amount of respect and awe for what he accomplished. But he was definitely a hindrance to this team over the last 2-3 years. I understand why, he meant so much to this league. I don't even blame the team for doing that.

What I have a problem with is fans thinking this was a playoff team, and that we are not a team in rebuild. If we were rebuilding the last 2-3 years the youngsters would have gotten then lions share of minutes. It would have transitioned to a younger lineup. This team is still not ready to compete. It wont be for another 3-5 years before we make any kind of challenge to the West.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject:

This article is trash and designed to be horribly misleading. They plugged Luke's name into a quote from years ago. I don't care if Jim stays or goes but the agenda some of these guys have to stir up trouble and get the Phil chants going is so shameless.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject:

If they're gonna rebuild, then develop the young guys and stick to it. If I see a bunch of young dudes shipped off for some cancer like Cousins then I'll be really pissed.

As fans we need to give these guys time to develop. How many people wanted young Kobe gone after we were swept in back to back playoffs?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I don't think anyone should be blamed right now, the team is dealing with injuries and different rotations almost every game, we need to actually have our key players if we want to make progress but that hasn't been possible so pointing fingers isn't gonna make you sleep better at night.

super young + unhealthy roster = losing streak.

super young + healthy roster this season = uh oh... we're going to the playoffs

let's not forget when the wheels fell off. It's when Ju had the hip issue, then Dlo was playing with a bad knee and the media didnt know yet. Then we started dropping like flies.

how do you lose your starting pg, then calderon starts balling to some degree for us. and he goes down shortly thereafter. Now you're down to one true pg. and that's your 3rd string guy at best.

To make matters worse one of your best defenders off the pine goes down in Tarik Black. let alone the fake that larry nance has gone down a couple of times since the rash of injuries has started.

Nick playing his best ball went down.

of course you're going to lose games.

If you think otherwise, take a look at the clippers tonight. no cp3 and no blake. They have a much older lineup then we do. They still took the Lose tonight vs the kid lakers that are still some what hurt.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

Ryan west will become mitch in due time.

understand what's going on here.
Doc Buss + Jerry West + Mitch the jr GM

Doc Buss + Mitch + Jim buss the jr owner/GM

Jim Buss (owner/gm) + Mitch + Ryan West the jr GM

The lakers have had this working formula for a while. 3 main heads in the room. a Buss, the GM, and the GM's understudy.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
11-22, most losses in the league, 1 win in their last 12 games. I wouldn't say that's very good. It's an improvement from last year but that's not saying much as last year was a circus. Heads need to roll, enough is enough. How much more of this will we have to endure?? In a couple hours the clippers will once again wipe the floor with them ..... merry Christmas
what are you counting? a bunch of losses after guys started dropping like flies due to injury?
how can you count that against anyone?

It's not like our coach over utilizes our guys like say coach Thibs did in chicago. So that's not the issue. It's just a rash of injuries all happening at the same time. all different injuries.

You take away the rash injuries to multiple guys all around the same time. and we go 6-6 at worse. that would've meant that we were very much improved just like jim said.

If you're going to blame him for the injury losses. then never forget that stance and blame the next guy you bring in for the same thing and watch how quickly he will get the boot too. and realize how you will never be able to keep anyone around if that's your logic for getting rid of the FO people in charge of player personnel.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject:

All the Lakers' owners need to shut the hell up.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Pretty telling that one of them virtually never comes out and initiates a story, bit the other one does every time there's a losing streak and every time we go into free agency.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Nope, not a good enough excuse. Mitch and Jim have had plenty of time to figure this thing out even with Kobe on the roster. No matter what you say you can't excuse their coaching decisions up til Luke and their free agent signings.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:

Pretty telling that one of them virtually never comes out and initiates a story, bit the other one does every time there's a losing streak and every time we go into free agency.

Sure. You know I'm not on the side of Jeanie whatsoever. But Jim needs to not take the bait and just shut it down with a "This is an internal matter" or something. The less I hear about it, the better. Jim can't control what Jeanie says but he can stop himself from saying anything.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:

Sure. You know I'm not on the side of Jeanie whatsoever. But Jim needs to not take the bait and just shut it down with a "This is an internal matter" or something. The less I hear about it, the better. Jim can't control what Jeanie says but he can stop himself from saying anything.

That's fair, but when he shuts up you hear, "why doesn't he speak up?" I think he's learning that Jeanie has been beating him by the death of 1000 cuts. Have a reporter or three hit the same notes over and over at strategic times, and count on him not returning fire.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25
Jump to: