NBC: Jim: ..[F]iring me a ‘big mistake’/ESPN:Jeannie & Magic pg. 3&6 (Update: LATimes: Jeannie will be ready to make decision re Jim (pg. 14)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:
What if they just had some freakin dinner?

Yeah I think we should be focusing less on "Jeanie had dinner with Magic!!!" But more on Ramona saying "Jeanie is soliciting opinions about the future of the Lakers organization" and the fact that it's allowed to be made public.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Also just read Magic's comments on the other page. Honestly, that's a breath of fresh air. He won't hold back criticism, we know that.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Wow, I am actually horrified by some of you here regarding Magic. Sure, he might be a pain in the butt sometimes and off the mark with his comments regarding the Lakers but he has always been entitled to his opinion. He often reacts based on emotion.

But, having said that, how can anyone here think his involvement would be a bad idea? He was, and always will be, a WINNER. He's not a loser. He won his entire career including his business ventures outside of basketball. For some of you here that have the perception that he's some sort of idiot and would ruin this team, is just ridiculous.

First, his influence alone would change the culture. He would not do thing by himself, he always has a strong group of advisors to back him. He is a powerful man in Los Angeles. I welcome any change to the front office and culture.

Sign me up, and come on people, there is no better, more powerful Laker than Magic. He can't hurt moving the team in the right direction.

I agree. He has worked wonders for the Dodgers using all of his influence and I am reminded of that every time I tune in to watch them play their World Series games on DirecTV.

yeah one game away from world series....yeah he is really damaging the dodgers.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Wow, I am actually horrified by some of you here regarding Magic. Sure, he might be a pain in the butt sometimes and off the mark with his comments regarding the Lakers but he has always been entitled to his opinion. He often reacts based on emotion.

But, having said that, how can anyone here think his involvement would be a bad idea? He was, and always will be, a WINNER. He's not a loser. He won his entire career including his business ventures outside of basketball. For some of you here that have the perception that he's some sort of idiot and would ruin this team, is just ridiculous.

First, his influence alone would change the culture. He would not do thing by himself, he always has a strong group of advisors to back him. He is a powerful man in Los Angeles. I welcome any change to the front office and culture.

Sign me up, and come on people, there is no better, more powerful Laker than Magic. He can't hurt moving the team in the right direction.

I agree. He has worked wonders for the Dodgers using all of his influence and I am reminded of that every time I tune in to watch them play their World Series games on DirecTV.

To be fair, he has very little do with the Dodgers success or failure as a team on the field. Andrew Friedman, Farhan Zaidi, and Stan Kasten are the men behind the Dodgers resurgence post-McCourt. Logan White drafted some great players before them. Magic eats popcorn near the dugout, and I'm sure he's helpful with marketing behind-the-scenes, but he has done next-to-nothing to impact win/losses. Because, frankly, it's not his job to.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
The Magic hate in this thread is embarrassing. I think he knows a little more about winning basketball than some posters on a Lakers forum.

did someone suggest they were qualified to run the team, much less understand winning basketball more than Magic? If that is the bar, then might as well seek the man who has more rings than anyone in Phil, or does he not understand winning basketball? Yet he has no rings as a GM, nor does Bird, or Jordan.

So asking his opinion on basketball matters is pointless them?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

To be fair, he has very little do with the Dodgers success or failure as a team on the field. Andrew Friedman, Farhan Zaidi, and Stan Kasten are the men behind the Dodgers resurgence post-McCourt. Logan White drafted some great players before them. Magic eats popcorn near the dugout, and I'm sure he's helpful with marketing behind-the-scenes, but he has done next-to-nothing to impact win/losses. Because, frankly, it's not his job to.

Subtract Friedman and Zaidi. And put all the success on Logan White and to a lesser extent Colletti (Kasten also for shutting down their attempts to put yes-man Kepler as manager). What those two sabermorons did was saddle this team with ludicrous contracts for their former players.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
The Magic hate in this thread is embarrassing. I think he knows a little more about winning basketball than some posters on a Lakers forum.

As a player? Absolutely. In any other capacity? Nope.

It's not hate, it's simple logic that success in one field or one aspect of a field does not always translate into success into other fields or aspects of one field.

Isaiah Thomas knew lots about winning basketball too. Care to run down his record as a coach and GM?

Wait, who said she's asking him to run the team? She can't ask him for advice on a sport he's a legend in?
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

It's not hate, it's simple logic that success in one field or one aspect of a field does not always translate into success into other fields or aspects of one field.

Isaiah Thomas knew lots about winning basketball too. Care to run down his record as a coach and GM?

Wait, who said she's asking him to run the team? She can't ask him for advice on a sport he's a legend in?
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Magic has proven track record of success in business. On his own. Obviously, we all know of his GOAT level success in NBA. I'm ok with him taking over Jim's role. Can't possibly get any worse.

Mitch's strength is draft and trades so he can stay put for the time being (until R West is ready). The role we need Magic's help is FA signings. Selling a vision. This is where successful businessmen, like Jerry, excels. Jerry was a closer. Magic is well respected in the business world as well. Guggenheim have done various co-ops with Magic for a reason.

No matter who we bring in, Jimmy gotta go. What is he 0 for 10 now in FAs? He boasted back in 2006 how he is going to sign a major FA in a year or 2 tops. Its been 12 years of failures in FAs. Thats exponentially more rope than most people get in real world let alone the top executive of an org. This spoiled brat has failed in every facet of his life. Good thing he was born into privilege. I know he has many minions here that will defend his honor, ad nauseam. So I'll grab the popcorn to be amused.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Great. So he surrounds himself with winners and gets out of the way to eat popcorn. I'm down with that.
driver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

I'm a bit surprised. Magic is the one with common sense, everyone else is calling for trades.

2017 is the bizarro year.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

did someone suggest they were qualified to run the team, much less understand winning basketball more than Magic? If that is the bar, then might as well seek the man who has more rings than anyone in Phil, or does he not understand winning basketball? Yet he has no rings as a GM, nor does Bird, or Jordan.

not at all....making the meeting known (nothing leaks unless someone wants it to), and then not pushing back on the reports that she was discussing the future of the organization with him.....Does not take a genius to realize that the future of the organization will be interpreted as "will she fire Jim?", and with one of her brothers loudest public critics. This is not the first rodeo for either her or Magic when it relates to the media, and they knew the "buzz" it would create, and I have little doubt that was the point.

I only have praise for Magic as a basketball player, was my childhood hero, but beyond that....not so much. I met Earvin Johnson one time when the public was not watching, and he was a d-bag, so I have no issue criticizing him as a man.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

What advice would she ask for? What promotions to run? Or how to boost corporate sponsorship? Those are the duties she oversees with the Lakers. And as a successful businessman, I would think that Magic could help her out.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
Magic has proven track record of success in business. On his own. Obviously, we all know of his GOAT level success in NBA. I'm ok with him taking over Jim's role. Can't possibly get any worse.

Mitch's strength is draft and trades so he can stay put for the time being (until R West is ready). The role we need Magic's help is FA signings. Selling a vision. This is where successful businessmen, like Jerry, excels. Jerry was a closer. Magic is well respected in the business world as well. Guggenheim have done various co-ops with Magic for a reason.

No matter who we bring in, Jimmy gotta go. What is he 0 for 10 now in FAs? He boasted back in 2006 how he is going to sign a major FA in a year or 2 tops. Its been 12 years of failures in FAs. Thats exponentially more rope than most people get in real world let alone the top executive of an org. This spoiled brat has failed in every facet of his life. Good thing he was born into privilege. I know he has many minions here that will defend his honor, ad nauseam. So I'll grab the popcorn to be amused.

Jim's role is to be the Buss kid who approves basketball decisions made by the GM and scouts. Magic isn't an owner, he can't approve things as an owner.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

not at all....making the meeting known (nothing leaks unless someone wants it to), and then not pushing back on the reports that she was discussing the future of the organization with him.....Does not take a genius to realize that the future of the organization will be interpreted as "will she fire Jim?", and with one of her brothers loudest public critics. This is not the first rodeo for either her or Magic when it relates to the media, and they knew the "buzz" it would create, and I have little doubt that was the point.

I only have praise for Magic as a basketball player, was my childhood hero, but beyond that....not so much. I met Earvin Johnson one time when the public was not watching, and he was a d-bag, so I have no issue criticizing him as a man.

I suppose we just disagree that it matters if "buzz" is created intentionally or not. Mitch and Jim damn well know they have a short leash at this point. I don't see an issue with the owner of the team wanting to seek advice from someone she's known for 30+ years. Someone who her father adored and trusted. And if she does want to give Magic a figurehead role with the team then I have no problem with that either. Magic has earned it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

I suppose we just disagree that it matters if "buzz" is created intentionally or not. Mitch and Jim damn well know they have a short leash at this point. I don't see an issue with one of the owners of the team wanting to seek advice from someone she's known for 30+ years. Someone who her father adored and trusted. And if she does want to give Magic a figurehead role with the team then I have no problem with that either. Magic has earned it.

Corrected. And I agree, I have long hoped that Magic could be the front man for the Lakers.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

I suppose we just disagree that it matters if "buzz" is created intentionally or not. Mitch and Jim damn well know they have a short leash at this point. I don't see an issue with one of the owners of the team wanting to seek advice from someone she's known for 30+ years. Someone who her father adored and trusted. And if she does want to give Magic a figurehead role with the team then I have no problem with that either. Magic has earned it.

Corrected. And I agree, I have long hoped that Magic could be the front man for the Lakers.

Thanks, meant to say that.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:

Amen to that. And Magic's basketball team (Sparks) is doing way better than the Lakers these days.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Magic is and always will be a die hard Laker fan. I would absolutely bring him in as the face of the franchise and knowing Magic he would bring in smart basketball people...unlike Jim who brought in his bartender. I don't think Magic would be interested in making deals, signing FA's etc. but more as the face of the franchise that will sell the team to FA's. I think you pair Magic, Walton and another basketball person or two you will have much better results then Jim and Mitch.

I don't see how someone who has no ownership stake, and is not actively involved in running the team, could be a "face of the franchise" that would matter to free agents.

If he doesn't have genuine skin in the game, he's just a famous person trying to sell free agents, and lots of teams trot those kind of people out with little impact.

If you think Magic should run the team or be GM or something, OK. I wouldn't agree with that, but I could understand the position. In this case, I don't really understand what job you are suggesting for him
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

well jim buss didnt have much to do with the lakers before 5 yrs ago but you keep linking him with championships.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject:

^ Jim has been catching blame since 2005.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Magic is and always will be a die hard Laker fan. I would absolutely bring him in as the face of the franchise and knowing Magic he would bring in smart basketball people...unlike Jim who brought in his bartender. I don't think Magic would be interested in making deals, signing FA's etc. but more as the face of the franchise that will sell the team to FA's. I think you pair Magic, Walton and another basketball person or two you will have much better results then Jim and Mitch.

I don't see how someone who has no ownership stake, and is not actively involved in running the team, could be a "face of the franchise" that would matter to free agents.

If he doesn't have genuine skin in the game, he's just a famous person trying to sell free agents, and lots of teams trot those kind of people out with little impact.

If you think Magic should run the team or be GM or something, OK. I wouldn't agree with that, but I could understand the position. In this case, I don't really understand what job you are suggesting for him

I would make him President of Basketball Operations. He could hire a young, qualified GM (nothing against Mitch, but I really believe it's time for a change, need new blood and energy). I'm 54 years old, and Magic has bled purple and gold his entire life. I know there a lot of young guys here that see Magic as an old has been. But the fact Magic loves this organization so much I really believe he would bring this organization back to the top. Just my opinion.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

well jim buss didnt have much to do with the lakers before 5 yrs ago but you keep linking him with championships.

More fake news, Jim has been involved with the Lakers longer than Jeanie has.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

More fake news, Jim has been involved with the Lakers longer than Jeanie has.

I honestly didn't know that. I can remember reading a piece years ago about how Jeanie stayed with the Lakers when Jim did his horse racing stint.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:

It seems like he would, but he has said a lot of weird things over the years. I remember him saying something about LeBron and Durant being very good at basketball and the Lakers should sign them. He was one of the people tweeting staydwight. His comments range from being elementary to just silly.

He's the type who will praise all of the Laker moves and then if things don't turn out as planned, he will criticize the moves that he once praised. I think he's much better for a role where he isn't involved in decision making.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 7 of 25
Jump to: