NBC: Jim: ..[F]iring me a ‘big mistake’/ESPN:Jeannie & Magic pg. 3&6 (Update: LATimes: Jeannie will be ready to make decision re Jim (pg. 14)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Magic is and always will be a die hard Laker fan. I would absolutely bring him in as the face of the franchise and knowing Magic he would bring in smart basketball people...unlike Jim who brought in his bartender. I don't think Magic would be interested in making deals, signing FA's etc. but more as the face of the franchise that will sell the team to FA's. I think you pair Magic, Walton and another basketball person or two you will have much better results then Jim and Mitch.

I don't see how someone who has no ownership stake, and is not actively involved in running the team, could be a "face of the franchise" that would matter to free agents.

If he doesn't have genuine skin in the game, he's just a famous person trying to sell free agents, and lots of teams trot those kind of people out with little impact.

If you think Magic should run the team or be GM or something, OK. I wouldn't agree with that, but I could understand the position. In this case, I don't really understand what job you are suggesting for him

I would make him President of Basketball Operations. He could hire a young, qualified GM (nothing against Mitch, but I really believe it's time for a change, need new blood and energy). I'm 54 years old, and Magic has bled purple and gold his entire life. I know there a lot of young guys here that see Magic as an old has been. But the fact Magic loves this organization so much I really believe he would bring this organization back to the top. Just my opinion.

I thought Magic was a great player, but I've seen no indication he's a great basketball mind. He was a bad coach and he's never worked in any meaningful front office job. I wouldn't hire him to run the show and set basketball strategy.

If you are merely talking about giving him a symbolic title, having him stop into the office once a month to slap people's back, and smile at free agents, I don't think that provides any meaningful value.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Magic is and always will be a die hard Laker fan. I would absolutely bring him in as the face of the franchise and knowing Magic he would bring in smart basketball people...unlike Jim who brought in his bartender. I don't think Magic would be interested in making deals, signing FA's etc. but more as the face of the franchise that will sell the team to FA's. I think you pair Magic, Walton and another basketball person or two you will have much better results then Jim and Mitch.

I don't see how someone who has no ownership stake, and is not actively involved in running the team, could be a "face of the franchise" that would matter to free agents.

If he doesn't have genuine skin in the game, he's just a famous person trying to sell free agents, and lots of teams trot those kind of people out with little impact.

If you think Magic should run the team or be GM or something, OK. I wouldn't agree with that, but I could understand the position. In this case, I don't really understand what job you are suggesting for him

I would make him President of Basketball Operations. He could hire a young, qualified GM (nothing against Mitch, but I really believe it's time for a change, need new blood and energy). I'm 54 years old, and Magic has bled purple and gold his entire life. I know there a lot of young guys here that see Magic as an old has been. But the fact Magic loves this organization so much I really believe he would bring this organization back to the top. Just my opinion.

I thought Magic was a great player, but I've seen no indication he's a great basketball mind. He was a bad coach and he's never worked in any meaningful front office job. I wouldn't hire him to run the show and set basketball strategy.

If you are merely talking about giving him a symbolic title, having him stop into the office once a month to slap people's back, and smile at free agents, I don't think that provides any meaningful value.

Agree.
Just cos people love Magic doesn't mean he'd be great in the FO.

Look at Isaiah Thomas or even Larry Bird.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

iimarshon wrote:
activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Agree.
Just cos people love Magic doesn't mean he'd be great in the FO.

Look at Isaiah Thomas or even Larry Bird.

Larry Bird has put together more than 1 contending teams.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Wow, I am actually horrified by some of you here regarding Magic. Sure, he might be a pain in the butt sometimes and off the mark with his comments regarding the Lakers but he has always been entitled to his opinion. He often reacts based on emotion.

But, having said that, how can anyone here think his involvement would be a bad idea? He was, and always will be, a WINNER. He's not a loser. He won his entire career including his business ventures outside of basketball. For some of you here that have the perception that he's some sort of idiot and would ruin this team, is just ridiculous.

First, his influence alone would change the culture. He would not do thing by himself, he always has a strong group of advisors to back him. He is a powerful man in Los Angeles. I welcome any change to the front office and culture.

Sign me up, and come on people, there is no better, more powerful Laker than Magic. He can't hurt moving the team in the right direction.

I agree. He has worked wonders for the Dodgers using all of his influence and I am reminded of that every time I tune in to watch them play their World Series games on DirecTV.

yeah one game away from world series....yeah he is really damaging the dodgers.

To be fair, he has very little do with the Dodgers success or failure as a team on the field. Andrew Friedman, Farhan Zaidi, and Stan Kasten are the men behind the Dodgers resurgence post-McCourt. Logan White drafted some great players before them. Magic eats popcorn near the dugout, and I'm sure he's helpful with marketing behind-the-scenes, but he has done next-to-nothing to impact win/losses. Because, frankly, it's not his job to.

well jim buss didnt have much to do with the lakers before 5 yrs ago but you keep linking him with championships.

More fake news, Jim has been involved with the Lakers longer than Jeanie has.

I honestly didn't know that. I can remember reading a piece years ago about how Jeanie stayed with the Lakers when Jim did his horse racing stint.

Of course you didn't know that, because it isn't true. Jeanie was president of the Forum and served as a rep for the Lakers on the NBA board of governors for years before Jim dropped all of the side endeavors his dad presumably financed and joined the team under West and Jim in 98.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Jim journey is looking like Pau saga out there. I don't like the way they are treating it, but after all it's LA soap opera.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:

Of course you didn't know that, because it isn't true. Jeanie was president of the Forum and served as a rep for the Lakers on the NBA board of governors for years before Jim dropped all of the side endeavors his dad presumably financed and joined the team under West and Jim in 98.

Jerry brought Jim in to work with West in 1998 and hired Jeanie to the business side in 1999.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Jerry brought Jim in to work with West in 1998 and hired Jeanie to the business side in 1999.

THIS IS NOT TRUE.....JEANIE WAS THERE WAY BEFORE JIM.....ALWAYS TRYING TO SHOW JIM IN A GOOD LITE... JEANIE STARTED WITH THE STRINGS AT AGE 19 THEN BECAME PRESIDENT OF THE FORUM. YOU KNOW DARN WELL SHE HAS BEEN GROOMED TO TAKE OVER THE LAKERS....NOT JIM. JUST STATING FACTS.

Last edited by clutchkobe on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

THIS IS NOT TRUE.....JEANIE WAS THERE WAY BEFORE JIM.....ALWAYS TRYING TO SHOW JIM IN A GOOD LITE...

It is true, look it up. Dr. Buss hired her as a VP in 1999 after spending 4 years as President of the Forum. He hired Jim to work with Jerry West in the scouting department in 1998. Facts can be your friend, but you have to know them first.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject:

JEANIE STARTED WITH THE STRINGS AT 19. THEN BECAME PRESIDENT OF THE FORUM....SHE WAS GROOMED TO TAKE OVER THE LAKERS.....STOP TELLING FALSEHOODS. DOESNT MEAN JIM DOESNT HAVE TALENT BUT EVERYONE KNOWS SHE WAS THE PERSON TO TAKE OVER THE LAKERS.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

THIS IS NOT TRUE.....JEANIE WAS THERE WAY BEFORE JIM.....ALWAYS TRYING TO SHOW JIM IN A GOOD LITE...

It is true, look it up.

From Wikipedia (sourced from Lakers media guide 2011): "Throughout her stint with the Forum, her role with the Lakers increased, and she served as the Alternate Governor on the NBA Board of Governors since 1995"
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
JEANIE STARTED WITH THE STRINGS AT 19. THEN BECAME PRESIDENT OF THE FORUM....SHE WAS GROOMED TO TAKE OVER THE LAKERS.....STOP TELLING FALSEHOODS. DOESNT MEAN JIM DOESNT HAVE TALENT BUT EVERYONE KNOWS SHE WAS THE PERSON TO TAKE OVER THE LAKERS.

Falsehoods? At least I can understand that the Strings and the Forum are not the Lakers. You seem to lack that ability.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:

Falsehoods? At least I can understand that the Strings and the Forum are not the Lakers. You seem to lack that ability.

THOSE WERE ALL OWNED BY JERRY .....YEAH I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT. EVERY STORY ABOUT HER BEING GROOMED IS PRINTED. I NOT OMITTING PARTS OF A STORY TO MAKE IT THE WAY I WANT IT.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:

THOSE WERE ALL OWNED BY JERRY .....YEAH I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT. EVERY STORY ABOUT HER BEING GROOMED IS PRINTED. I NOT OMITTING PARTS OF A STORY TO MAKE IT THE WAY I WANT IT.

I'm not sure what the argument is here. Seems like in the 1990s Jeanie was groomed to take over the business side of the operation, and Jim was groomed to take over the basketball side of the operation. seems like they've always had parallel but very distinct roles in the organization
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Reminds me of a time when Just-Ming's caps lock key broke. Maybe around the 2009 era of LG.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:

I'm not sure what the argument is here. Seems like in the 1990s Jeanie was groomed to take over the business side of the operation, and Jim was groomed to take over the basketball side of the operation. seems like they've always had parallel but very distinct roles in the organization

are you guys serious.....read the story.....she was groomed to take over the lakers....everything.....
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
The Magic hate in this thread is embarrassing. I think he knows a little more about winning basketball than some posters on a Lakers forum.

DING DING DING....WE HAVE A WINNER.

Magic can do no wrong in my world. For what he has given us on the court (and breaking the f'ing leprechaun curse), you are 1000% correct that it is embarrassing to read fans throwing spew his way.

Just because he was a former great doesn't make him a good coach or GM. Those skill sets are much different from that required in coaching or assembling a team.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:

Posting in all caps doesn't make something any more true. If Jeanie had been groomed to run the Lakers, Jerry would have taught her about basketball ops, and had her study under people like Jerry west, which he did with Jim and not her. And he wouldn't have left Jim in charge of the basketball side.

Jeanie was groomed to run the non basketball side of the team (which is why while Jim was getting groomed under west, she was running facilities), and Jim to run basketball ops. And that's why they were actually given those jobs. The facts are self evident, no matter the font or the all caps or not.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Wow, I am actually horrified by some of you here regarding Magic. Sure, he might be a pain in the butt sometimes and off the mark with his comments regarding the Lakers but he has always been entitled to his opinion. He often reacts based on emotion.

But, having said that, how can anyone here think his involvement would be a bad idea? He was, and always will be, a WINNER. He's not a loser. He won his entire career including his business ventures outside of basketball. For some of you here that have the perception that he's some sort of idiot and would ruin this team, is just ridiculous.

First, his influence alone would change the culture. He would not do thing by himself, he always has a strong group of advisors to back him. He is a powerful man in Los Angeles. I welcome any change to the front office and culture.
I think
Sign me up, and come on people, there is no better, more powerful Laker than Magic. He can't hurt moving the team in the right direction.

I agree. He has worked wonders for the Dodgers using all of his influence and I am reminded of that every time I tune in to watch them play their World Series games on DirecTV.

To be fair, he has very little do with the Dodgers success or failure as a team on the field. Andrew Friedman, Farhan Zaidi, and Stan Kasten are the men behind the Dodgers resurgence post-McCourt. Logan White drafted some great players before them. Magic eats popcorn near the dugout, and I'm sure he's helpful with marketing behind-the-scenes, but he has done next-to-nothing to impact win/losses. Because, frankly, it's not his job to.

well jim buss didnt have much to do with the lakers before 5 yrs ago but you keep linking him with championships.

I honestly didn't know that. I can remember reading a piece years ago about how Jeanie stayed with the Lakers when Jim did his horse racing stint.

Both of them headed failed stuff prior to coming to their current jobs. She had two failed ventures, and then was given a role in forum facility ops, where she was when he was hired by the Lakers under west and Mitch.

So yeah, he's actually been a Laker employee longer than her, but she was working for Laker related stuff before him.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

I think

Both of them headed failed stuff prior to coming to their current jobs. She had two failed ventures, and then was given a role in forum facility ops, where she was when he was hired by the Lakers under west and Mitch.

So yeah, he's actually been a Laker employee longer than her, but she was working for Laker related stuff before him.

Thank you for the clarity.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject:

No worries. If you need to fudge the facts to fit an opinion, the opinion needs fixing.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:

are you guys serious.....read the story.....she was groomed to take over the lakers....everything.....

I really don't know what you're talking about.

Jerry Buss let Jeanie run his tennis team and he let Jim run his soccer team. Both teams folded. Then Jerry gave them both jobs in his other businesses, with Jeanie eventually focused on the business side of the Lakers and Jim on the basketball side. They've both been involved with the Lakers for nearly 20 years, and it's irrelevant to me whether Jeanie started a couple of years earlier. So what if her dad sent her to take notes at the governor's meetings -- who cares?

I don't see where Jeanie was ever groomed for or had any involvement with anything to do with the players. I don't see that Jim ever had any involvement in the marketing or business stuff Jeanie does.

And you know, I don't care about the "grooming" stuff. I'm not impressed with either one of them. I think they both come off as dummies when they talk to the press, and neither of them has ever done anything in their life that they dad didn't give them or pay for.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:

Jerry Buss let Jeanie run his tennis team and he let Jim run his soccer team. Both teams folded. Then Jerry gave them both jobs in his other businesses, with Jeanie eventually focused on the business side of the Lakers and Jim on the basketball side. They've both been involved with the Lakers for nearly 20 years, and it's irrelevant to me whether Jeanie started a couple of years earlier. So what if her dad sent her to take notes at the governor's meetings -- who cares?

I don't see where Jeanie was ever groomed for or had any involvement with anything to do with the players. I don't see that Jim ever had any involvement in the marketing or business stuff Jeanie does.

And you know, I don't care about the "grooming" stuff. I'm not impressed with either one of them. I think they both come off as dummies when they talk to the press, and neither of them has ever done anything in their life that they dad didn't give them or pay for.

so you made up your own story.........not the story i read....jeanie was the one who was put through college and was increasingly given responsibilities to take over the business. jeanie everyone always knew it was jeanie who was taking over. i dont think (now this is me guessing) jim was even thought of until phil jackson.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
He didn't win as Laker head coach. Not even once.

Magic was like 5-11. Yer thinking of losing the last 10 in a row. First gm against the Bucks was a win, guaronteed. Wore a very loud tie, too.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:

so you made up your own story.........not the story i read....jeanie was the one who was put through college and was increasingly given responsibilities to take over the business. jeanie everyone always knew it was jeanie who was taking over. i dont think (now this is me guessing) jim was even thought of until phil jackson.

So are you saying you think that Jerry Buss "groomed" Jeanie to take over the basketball stuff, and not just the business stuff? That's a new one for me. Can you please provide a link for this story you say you read about this, because I'd love to see this information.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
The Magic hate in this thread is embarrassing. I think he knows a little more about winning basketball than some posters on a Lakers forum.

DING DING DING....WE HAVE A WINNER.

Magic can do no wrong in my world. For what he has given us on the court (and breaking the f'ing leprechaun curse), you are 1000% correct that it is embarrassing to read fans throwing spew his way.

Just because he was a former great doesn't make him a good coach or GM. Those skill sets are much different from that required in coaching or assembling a team.

Never said anything about his skills as a coach or GM. He obviously knows more than most (not all) on this board. I know some here are being groomed to take over some GM roles as we speak.

All I said is he can do no wrong for everything he has done and given us Laker fans. He put the Lakers on the map, and for that he deserves a lifetime of respect and not venom that some are throwing his way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 8 of 25
Jump to: