NBC: Jim: ..[F]iring me a ‘big mistake’/ESPN:Jeannie & Magic pg. 3&6 (Update: LATimes: Jeannie will be ready to make decision re Jim (pg. 14)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Jeanie wanted Jim removed to bring Phil on board.
Without Phil as a replacement and with the record profits from the KFT, it seems less likely that Jeanie would have much personal incentive to go after Jim, and even less likely that she would have the support of her siblings.

My impression is Jeanie and Jim don't like each other, and she would love for him to be out of the picture, no matter who is brought in. That said, I also think Jeanie likes to deny personal responsibility for any problems, so she definitely wants someone in place who she can point a finger at whenever anything goes wrong.

I have no idea what the politics of the Buss siblings are. My guess is the whole outfit is as dysfunctional as it seems from the outside.

It would be awfully nice for the youngsters to make some progress, put up a stretch of competitive ball, and let the Buss clan fade into the background where they belong.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Seems to me that both Jeanie and particularly Jim are being witch hunted as scapegoats for fan frustrations. Fans like to dig into them for any little thing that goes wrong with 20/20 hindsight vision but never offer alternative solutions that are based in reality.

Is it Jim or Jeanie's fault that David Stern acted on conflicted interests to nix the Chris Paul trade?

Is it Jim or Jeanie's fault that Kobe tore his achilles?

Is it Jim or Jeanie's fault that the league's CBAs have progressively made it harder to acquire star talent from other teams?

The reality is that regardless whether Jim or Jeanie were in their positions or not during the last 5 years, the Lakers would likely be in the same situation they are now at best or with far fewer promising prospects for the future at worst.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
Seems to me that both Jeanie and particularly Jim are being witch hunted as scapegoats for fan frustrations. Fans like to dig into them for any little thing that goes wrong with 20/20 hindsight vision but never offer alternative solutions that are based in reality.

Is it Jim or Jeanie's fault that David Stern acted on conflicted interests to nix the Chris Paul trade?

Is it Jim or Jeanie's fault that Kobe tore his achilles?

Is it Jim or Jeanie's fault that the league's CBAs have progressively made it harder to acquire star talent from other teams?

The reality is that regardless whether Jim or Jeanie were in their positions or not during the last 5 years, the Lakers would likely be in the same situation they are now at best or with far fewer promising prospects for the future at worst.

Without question, some of the things that have happened have been beyond Jim and Jeanie's control -- injuries, the league veto, societal changes that make Los Angeles a less desirable destination than it was 20 years ago.

That said, I don't see the basis for saying "the Lakers would likely be in the same situation they are now at best or with far fewer promising prospects for the future at worst" with someone else at the helm.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
I don't pretend to be able to parse out credit individually to members of the front office. I find those who think they can are usually ridiculous; it's just a way to selectively blame/praise people they like or dislike.

That said, I think it's fair to evaluate the overall performance of the front office since Jim took charge, factoring in all the situations and challenges.

But, again, expecting fans to get all excited about the teams profit margins is silly too. That's important to the extent it allows the team to make good decisions, but it's ridiuculous to suggests fans should think their team is successful if it sucks on the court but is still making money. That's the kind of thing someone says if they want to argue for the sake of arguing.

I didn't get that from his post.
Fans don't care about profitability.
But the Buss siblings certainly do, and they are the ones who are going to judge whether Jim should be removed.
The KFT tour benefitted Jeanie's side at the expense of Jim's side.
It seems ridiculous for the Buss siblings to enjoy the profits of the KFT without taking into account how it hindered Jim's ability to improve the team, instead concluding that he should be removed.

I'm not saying that is how fans should see it.
I'm saying that is the perspective of the Buss family, and they are the ones controlling Jim's fate.

Did some extraterrestrial force bring about the KFT? Some kind of divine being? It certainly didn't just come into existence. No, I'm pretty sure Jim and Mitch brought it about. You can track every move that lead to the KFT, and literally every single one has their names on it. They don't get an excuse for having to work through something they created.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
I don't pretend to be able to parse out credit individually to members of the front office. I find those who think they can are usually ridiculous; it's just a way to selectively blame/praise people they like or dislike.

That said, I think it's fair to evaluate the overall performance of the front office since Jim took charge, factoring in all the situations and challenges.

But, again, expecting fans to get all excited about the teams profit margins is silly too. That's important to the extent it allows the team to make good decisions, but it's ridiuculous to suggests fans should think their team is successful if it sucks on the court but is still making money. That's the kind of thing someone says if they want to argue for the sake of arguing.

But the Buss siblings certainly do, and they are the ones who are going to judge whether Jim should be removed.
It seems ridiculous for the Buss siblings to enjoy the profits of the KFT without taking into account how it hindered Jim's ability to improve the team, instead concluding that he should be removed.

I'm saying that is the perspective of the Buss family, and they are the ones controlling Jim's fate.

Did some extraterrestrial force bring about the KFT? Some kind of divine being? It certainly didn't just come into existence. No, I'm pretty sure Jim and Mitch brought it about. You can track every move that lead to the KFT, and literally every single one has their names on it. They don't get an excuse for having to work through something they created.

OK - you tell me.
Why did the Lakers give Kobe the extremely lucrative contract extension?
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:

They both just need to keep their mouths shut. Has anything good ever occurred when they spoke to the media?
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
activeverb wrote:

OK - you tell me.

I wont even pretend to understand the thought processes behind the decisions Mitch and Jim make.

Why did Mitch give Deng and Mozgov extremely lucrative contracts? Answer: Who the (bleep) knows? Mitch is horrible at contract negotiations. He is who he is.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
[quote="JerryMagicKobe]
OK - you tell me.

I wont even pretend to understand the thought processes behind the decisions Mitch and Jim make.

Why did Mitch give Deng and Mozgov extremely lucrative contracts? Answer: Who the (bleep) knows? Mitch is horrible at contract negotiations. He is who he is.[/quote]
I have a theory that is a but more nuanced than 'Mitch suxxx".
Would you open your mind to it if it makes sense, or are is your opinion already set in stone?

Last edited by JerryMagicKobe on Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Would you open your mind to it if it makes sense, or are is your opinion already set in stone?

Let's hear it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
activeverb wrote:

OK - you tell me.

Why did Mitch give Deng and Mozgov extremely lucrative contracts? Answer: Who the (bleep) knows? Mitch is horrible at contract negotiations. He is who he is.

--
Why did the Lakers give Kobe the extremely lucrative contract extension?--

I never understood why they rushed to give him that contract before he even came back from ACL surgery. There was no pressing need to do so.

--Why did Mitch give Deng and Mozgov extremely lucrative contracts?--

That said, my guess is their thinking was: "We need a couple of solid veterans to create a foundation to help the young guys grow, and right now we suck so much we have to really overpay to get any solid veterans."
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

I never understood why they rushed to give him that contract before he even came back from ACL surgery. There was no pressing need to do so.

I believe it was reported that his agent pressed them on it. They were probably going to pay him anyway, so why rock the boat...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Jerry has part ownership in the Warriors, he left because he could not get part ownership in the Lakers. And the idea that he would come back to overshadow his son is laughable. That is what is wrong with threads like this, people make up fantasy ideas that have no basis in reality. Jerry West isn't coming, if that is what some are hanging their hats on they set themselves up for disappointment.

plus, the Logo is closing in on 80....I seriously doubt he is looking for a new challenge that would be so time consuming. He enjoys living in WV and commuting when he pleases over the the West Coast.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I believe it was reported that his agent pressed them on it. They were probably going to pay him anyway, so why rock the boat...

the same reason we will likely overpay Russell and Ingram at the end of their career if they hang 5 banners.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
activeverb wrote:

OK - you tell me.

some people defended jim's decision to go forward with mozgov , because if we didn't pay him, then somebody else would have, so we had to act quick.

great logic. beautiful.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Let's hear it.

We fans evaluate things based on the current performance of the team, which is why the extension is so bewildering.

The owners have a much longer and broader view, as well as a responsibility to their investors to deliver profits. Kobe's value to the team was no longer his on the court production, but his legacy and the goodwill that he brings to the Lakers franchise. It has been mentioned that even the good Doctor expressed an interest in making sure Kobe retired a Laker, legacy intact.

Is it possible that Kobe's extension was a mutual decision between Jim and Jeanie, sacrificing basketball production for profitability?

It may not matter to you the motives of ownership, but it seems unfair to lay that blame at Kupchak's feet.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Of course VLF is using that angle. Jim is doing a great job making the lakers' money. Gotta give him credit for something, right? He won't use the winning angle, because that doesn't play. Although he might go to the VP of basketball operations (aka getting Jerry and Mitch their starbucks every morning) angle when Jim had that title during the shaq/kobe and kobe/pau years.

I never said the bolded, that is of your own creation and goes right along with the fantasy ideas of this thread. Jim was involved when the Lakers won titles and when the Lakers are in the lottery. Since 2005 he has been the final decision maker and that included winning titles and being in the lottery. It is when some try to separate those eras that the fantasy begins. Because it is the same personnel team that won titles and that selected players in the lottery.

I really do not see what is the fantasy?

There are some truth being raised in this thread.

I think this thread promotes a wide range of ideas to address the problem existing in the FO and the current status of the team.

Whether these ideas are wrong or right is for another discussion.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Let's hear it.

We fans evaluate things based on the current performance of the team, which is why the extension is so bewildering.

The owners have a much longer and broader view, as well as a responsibility to their investors to deliver profits. Kobe's value to the team was no longer his on the court production, but his legacy and the goodwill that he brings to the Lakers franchise. It has been mentioned that even the good Doctor expressed an interest in making sure Kobe retired a Laker, legacy intact.

Is it possible that Kobe's extension was a mutual decision between Jim and Jeanie, sacrificing basketball production for profitability?

It may not matter to you the motives of ownership, but it seems unfair to lay that blame at Kupchak's feet.

I can buy that reasoning if Kobe was healthy. I can't buy the reasoning when the guy was coming off ACL surgery and hadn't played a game yet. It would be interesting if they had waited and saw how poorly Kobe performed that season. I wonder what they would have done then?
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Let's hear it.

i think it was simpler than that....they needed to keep people in those seats. Kobe sells alot of seats....you guys keep going on about his extension....it paid for its self. mozcov and deng do not.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Let's hear it.

I don't have a problem with them bringing him back. It's the numbers that bother me. I don't actually think that contract hampered our ability to construct a team, but the numbers bother me still. It speaks to Mitch's negotiation abilities. The long line of these contracts has to be troubling. Luke Walton, Metta, Kobe, Deng, Mozgov. I wish he was this giving when Ariza was a free agent. Merry Christmas to any player the Lakers are interested in.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Jeanie wanted Jim removed to bring Phil on board.
Without Phil as a replacement and with the record profits from the KFT, it seems less likely that Jeanie would have much personal incentive to go after Jim, and even less likely that she would have the support of her siblings.

My impression is Jeanie and Jim don't like each other, and she would love for him to be out of the picture, no matter who is brought in. That said, I also think Jeanie likes to deny personal responsibility for any problems, so she definitely wants someone in place who she can point a finger at whenever anything goes wrong.

I have no idea what the politics of the Buss siblings are. My guess is the whole outfit is as dysfunctional as it seems from the outside.

It would be awfully nice for the youngsters to make some progress, put up a stretch of competitive ball, and let the Buss clan fade into the background where they belong.

Yes, but it is good to hear Magic give them a nice vote of confidence.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Let's hear it.

I can buy that reasoning if Kobe was healthy. I can't buy the reasoning when the guy was coming off ACL surgery and hadn't played a game yet. It would be interesting if they had waited and saw how poorly Kobe performed that season. I wonder what they would have done then?

Exactly what they did. Dr. Buss gave a final contract to Magic when many didn't think he would live another year. He gave a nice contract to Jim Chones after he had retired and he wasn't even a Laker great. That was the Laker way under Dr. Buss.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Did I read that someone was pissing and moaning about the Metta contract? The MLE to a guy who was instrumental in bringing us a title?
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Poor Jim's feelin' the pressure...and I LOVE IT!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Let's hear it.

Exactly what they did. Dr. Buss gave a final contract to Magic when many didn't think he would live another year. He gave a nice contract to Jim Chones after he had retired and he wasn't even a Laker great. That was the Laker way under Dr. Buss.

That's certainly one guess. Like I said, it would have been interesting to see what actually happened.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Let's hear it.

Doesn't all of that make it more likely that it was done for goodwill and legacy rather than his expected performance on the court?
I think we are making the same point.
Kobe blew out his Achilles and they gave him the money anyway. Maybe it was promised. Maybe they felt obligated. Maybe they just loved the guy and wanted to throw some extra stacks his way. Lord knows he needs it.

Whatever the reason, I don't think it was because Mitch Kupchak felt that Kobe was the best player in the league and deserved to be compensated accordingly.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 10 of 25
Jump to: