George Karl: NBA has steroid issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
spflakers wrote:
I for one would hate it if players took a substance that allowed them to lengthen their careers and lets us enjoy their talents for much longer.

Yeah, it's a tragedy that players are taking drugs that make them recover from injuries faster, have they no shame? Is it all about the money for them? It's certainly not for the owners or the league, who always make the decision that's best for player health instead of what makes them more money. Like that time they lessened the number of games in the season, or eliminated back to back games.

This.

Seriously, can we just be done with the insanity of ascribing moral properties to exogenous molecules? Yeah, NBA athletes (and all athletes these days) do every possible thing to not just get an edge, but to improve recovery and extend their careers. And as with all prohibitions, people are going to get around it, "cheat", or what have you (especially when you are dealing with hyper competitive athletes and millions of dollars are involved). Why continue with the charade of testing when the biochemists are always going to be one step ahead?

Besides, we're very likely going to see genetic modifications within the next generation. Then everyone is going to have the biological cheat code, and just try to detect that. Are we going to sequence every player in their rookie year and then sequence them regularly looking for changes at SNiP sites?
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Karl like so many numbnuts can't help conflating steroids, all peds and orthokine. 30 years and his numerous examples total freaking zero. Really? Not even a anecdote without a name.

I'm guessing references to Germany etc were his "clever" way of revealing it.

Nah, it's him basically comparing the orthokine procedure to steroids. The stretch is laughable and speaks of someone with almost no knowledge of roids (and honestly, that goes for the vast majority of folks). The procedure is also done in the US but if you were to do it as a top shelf athlete, wouldn't you go straight to the doctor that developed the process? Instead, this grade A prick is insinuating as if there is some nefarious motives for going to Germany. Likewise, it's fine with WADA but some out of touch curmudgeon who is selling books is the smoking gun/whistleblower? Stop it George. Retire with dignity. You sure as hell had none as a coach...it's not too late.

Pretty much, people seem to just reference steroids and hgh for everything PED related. If i was in the nba though, I probably would use a couple PED's tbh, but very specific ones that can't be tested for, aren't against the nba's rules (WADA's though), don't have side effects because you know what? I'd want to get paid more money. Steroids though? lol this isn't the 80's anymore.

The soft tissue injury turnaround in the nba though, certainly makes me suspect that one of those is being used.

Did Kemp start snorting cocaine in Cleveland, or in Seattle?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

With Kemp I bet it was HS(he played at a rival HS of ours; Rick Fox played in our HS their rivalry was must see around these parts when they were both in HS) he had a lot of issues even then but he came from nothing really so I can't say I'm surprised.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject:

I think Wade has been on roids most of his career.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
I think Wade has been on roids most of his career.

Lebron and Wade do have increasing yearly jawlines.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/01/16/adam-silver-refutes-george-karl-no-reason-to-believe-nba-has-steroid-issue/

Quote:
Adam Silver refutes George Karl: No reason to believe NBA has steroid issue

George Karl alleged the NBA has a steroid issue.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver, via USA Today:

I’ll just say our testing is state of the art. I have no reason to believe whatsoever that we have an issue, either as the result of testing or as the result of other information that comes to the league office.

“I’d say that in most sports where there are issues, even when players do not test positive, usually there is some chatter that there is something going on. Other than what George Karl wrote in his book, there is no chatter whatsoever in the league. Obviously, many reporters are in this room who cover the NBA; presumably if they thought there was an issue, they would be writing about it.

“Having said that, we take allegations of performance-enhancing drugs or drug abuse of any kind incredibly seriously. I’m sure we will go through George Karl’s book, others, not me, in the league office, word by word, suggestion by suggestion, and ferret out whether there’s anything to it.

“For us, it doesn’t matter what the source is. If somebody is — especially if it’s a Hall of Fame-caliber coach registering those sort of allegations against the league, we will take them seriously. But standing here today, I have absolutely no reason to believe there’s any truth to those allegations.”

The NBA tests for performance-enhancing drugs, and those tests have produced few positive results, especially by stars. If the league believes in its process, that should say everything as far as Silver is concerned.

But drug-testing is a never-ending game of cat and mouse. Drug developers will find ways to beat testers, who will adjust with new tests, which will prompt the other side to create new drugs and masking agents, which…

Is the NBA ahead of the curve right now? Silver says it is.

He better be right. He’ll look mighty foolish if he’s not.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: