Phil Jackson & Jeanie Buss break up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
agreed with Wolfpack, before Porzingis Phil definitely wanted to come back and run things, even after he got the Knick gig. Porzingis changed everything. and if the story about B Scott ordered Madsen to bully him during workout, Madsen should be fired on the spot along with the rest of the scout team, and B Scott should be banned from any future Lakers affiliation. we missed out on a franchise player for stupidity.

I never said that - my point was he was always invested and dating back to his personality as a coach he is stubborn and very competitive and hates to bail. He just never struck me as a guy who would bail. When Kobe was asking for a trade and bailing Jackson did not. He would stay even without Kobe. I always viewed his 5 year deal as that with the Knicks. He wants to finish his career where it began and the same way (now I don't know about the result there)

All Porzingis did was make the decision easier because the Knicks have someone to build around for he next 5-6 years now. Phil can plan future teams around that. I am not of the opinion that Porzingis is going to be great, but having him makes it easier to build teams. I think Phil does this 2-3 more years and that's it.

Meanwhile on our end we need to look outside Laker connections or the past. If there is a smart proven executive who would jump ship, we need to make it happen. Jeannie needs to make it happen. lets see if this was all about Phil or truly about just making the Lakers better. Because from my perspective even without Phil, it changes nothing. Jim failed in his 4 year plan. New perspective and vision is needed.

If you mean he failed to get the team to Western conference contender in that window yes, he failed. If you look at where we were then and now on the merits of the outcome? Not so much. I have yet to see the four year plan that gets us to that spot, regardless of who is in the chair. The fact of the matter is that this team was going to have to bottom all the way out and rebuild from there, mostly through the draft. It is how the league rules are set up.

They did try a reload, and the league effectively killed that. On the heels of the cost of assembling the last title team and it aging out, that was effectively it. In retrospect that Howard and nash trades had a small silver lining because while they cost picks, they hastened and deepened the bottoming out, and the quality of the draft picks. So did dumping mda for scott, no matter what you believe about their intentions. So did their placeholder lineups. So did sending out Kobe his way.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:

If Jimmy proves me wrong, yes I would eat crow. And Lakers success is all that matters. Problem is, too many of his apologists give him credit for what Jerry built (i.e. Kobe's successes). Jimmy was 0 for 4 in coach hirings and what 0 for 8 in FAs? Now, I will give him or FO credit for Luke.

Btw, I know you are feeling your wheaties b/c your a moderator here but you too are also "simply a fan with no bona fides discussing front office acumen with no evidence you know what you're talking about" Sucks, doesnt it. And yes, on the topic of Jimmy, you have been absurdly condescending. Unearned too, just like Jimmy and Donald Drumpf!

Jim hired Phil, oversaw a rebuild around Kobe when drafting Bynum and trading for Gasol, and the team won two titles in 3 Finals visits. Facts.

Oh, now Jim is getting credit for hiring Phil back in the day. His legend grows.

Jim reminds me of people in organizations that have fancy titles because of who their father is, and then get credit because they had that title bestowed upon them due to their family name. And then their lackeys praise the ground they walk on.

I rarely come on here nowadays, but I can always use you for a good laugh. Thanks and happy new year.

It has become a joke, used to be a great site. Like state-controlled media, LG is now run by Jimmy's minions with their revisionist guns blazing, ready to defend their GOD's honor at all cost. What a joke. Anyone with a brain knows Phil was hired in spite of Jimmy. Its concerning how much fake news is prevailing with the sheeps these days.

Since we are applying wide brushstrokes to give Jimmy credit for the successes of the 2peat and spinning it as facts, he should also get credit for the 2007 Amare plan, the 2008 Yao plan, the utter failure starting from Shaq trade to Pau trade. Rudy, MB, MDA, BS. Jimmy has no business running a small hot dog vendor business let alone a $3B franchise. Failed at everything daddy's money gave him access to. The best parallel is Dolan Jr, see how he did with the Knicks.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject:

And we're back.

(Grabs popcorn).
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject:

All hail God Emperor Jim Buss!
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:

If Jimmy proves me wrong, yes I would eat crow. And Lakers success is all that matters. Problem is, too many of his apologists give him credit for what Jerry built (i.e. Kobe's successes). Jimmy was 0 for 4 in coach hirings and what 0 for 8 in FAs? Now, I will give him or FO credit for Luke.

Btw, I know you are feeling your wheaties b/c your a moderator here but you too are also "simply a fan with no bona fides discussing front office acumen with no evidence you know what you're talking about" Sucks, doesnt it. And yes, on the topic of Jimmy, you have been absurdly condescending. Unearned too, just like Jimmy and Donald Drumpf!

Jim hired Phil, oversaw a rebuild around Kobe when drafting Bynum and trading for Gasol, and the team won two titles in 3 Finals visits. Facts.

Oh, now Jim is getting credit for hiring Phil back in the day. His legend grows.

Jim reminds me of people in organizations that have fancy titles because of who their father is, and then get credit because they had that title bestowed upon them due to their family name. And then their lackeys praise the ground they walk on.

I rarely come on here nowadays, but I can always use you for a good laugh. Thanks and happy new year.

Nah, I don't think so. As a matter of fact, he gets overwhelmingly only hate in the media and fans like you. He gets support from around here from reasonable fans. This is his father's vision, so suck it up. You're kinda spitting on his grave. Get behind the team, or the media? Or how about 29 other teams with awesome owners who win championships every year and make no mistakes. You got the pick of the litter.

So if you don't support Jim you're unreasonable? Got it.

On your last comment -- are we not allowed to question or critique the FO anymore? Seems you are implying that if you don't support Jimbo, you can no longer be a Laker fan.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Again, a good argument doesn't need to exaggerate and mangle the opposing argument into an unrecognizable cartoon. A good argument stands on its own merits. It also doesn't have to cherry pick. It can deal with the good and the bad. Jim Buss doesn't, for example have to be in charge for Rudy T but not immediately thereafter, and then magically back in charge right after the titles.

He can be both wrong for coaching hires and right for others, wrong on some transactions, right on others. He doesn't have to be hands off when things are good, and a meddle when not.

The key here is that if you think he's the devil or a God, you're wrong.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:

Nah, I don't think so. As a matter of fact, he gets overwhelmingly only hate in the media and fans like you. He gets support from around here from reasonable fans. This is his father's vision, so suck it up. You're kinda spitting on his grave. Get behind the team, or the media? Or how about 29 other teams with awesome owners who win championships every year and make no mistakes. You got the pick of the litter.

So if you don't support Jim you're unreasonable? Got it.

On your last comment -- are we not allowed to question or critique the FO anymore? Seems you are implying that if you don't support Jimbo, you can no longer be a Laker fan.

It's reasonable to support Jim. That's all I said. I'm so freaking curious for all these Jim haters. What is your end game with all this pissing and moaning? We don't make the decisions. So as a fan, why can't you roll with it? Just like our young prospects. The picks have been made. Why can't fans roll with it and get behind the team? Seriously, think back to when you were kids.. Did all this matter? You supported the team without knowing the politics.

Wow, if being a Laker fan is so miserable for some of you these days, I say this all the time.. there are 29 other teams. Have at it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject:

I don't recall all these complaints about Mitch/jim when the team was winning rings. But that's just me. Sometimes take the good with the bad.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
It's reasonable to support Jim. That's all I said. I'm so freaking curious for all these Jim haters. What is your end game with all this pissing and moaning? We don't make the decisions. So as a fan, why can't you roll with it? Just like our young prospects. The picks have been made. Why can't fans roll with it and get behind the team? Seriously, think back to when you were kids.. Did all this matter? You supported the team without knowing the politics.

Wow, if being a Laker fan is so miserable for some of you these days, I say this all the time.. there are 29 other teams. Have at it.

I'm trying to point out that it's reasonable to NOT support Jim just as well.

On your second point, isn't that what being a fan means. We are here to fanatically follow the team we love -- and that includes obsessing about every detail or nuance (positive or negative). The fault in your assumption is that you are presupposing that only people who fully agree with everything a team does is worthy of being a fan. I disagree with that.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

Jim reminds me of people in organizations that have fancy titles because of who their father is, and then get credit because they had that title bestowed upon them due to their family name.

John Ireland mentioned on-air that the biggest season ticket holders signed a petition asking to bring Phil back during the last days of the Rudy Tomjanovich era and Dr. Buss listened. Interesting that Jim now gets credit for hiring PJax back even though it probably pained him to see Jeanie bring her boyfriend back in the fold again.

Once Phil retired and the last of his regime was purged from the Lakers, Jim hired his prized defensive coach for the next 11 y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ months in Mike 'DVD' Brown. When that didn't quite go as planned, he pivoted to his goal of Showtime 2.0 with the hiring of Mike 'Antoni and the Midnight Diss of Phil. There was slight hiccup with that vision, so Byron Scott was brought in and unbeknownst to many, he had perfected an uncanny ability to turn teams into Sherman tanks.

With Luke, a new era for Jim's coaching pez dispenser began with his first non-retread coach. Hopefully it will be a tenure that can last more than 164 games.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Not devil or god. He's just unqualified. What is his qualification to even be the floor manager at Burger King? What in his resume shows anything remotely close to success? Has he played or coached the game in HS, college, pros?

He's 1 for 5 in coaching hires. Thats assuming Luke will continue to show promise. I gave him credit for that. Drafting Nance and Clarkson deserves credit too. Rest of the picks were automatics or we fell unto. He also failed flat on FAs. Miserably. Over and over again. Some of it is the situation I will give him that but hes also far from a great business negotiator.

Now trades? There have 3-4 really good ones and quite a few bad ones. I dont claim to have the deep connections with Laker FO as some here boasts but in Private Equity / Hedge Fund world we interact with quite a few top agents and its Mitch that is doing all the legwork in trades. Jimmy is not well respected in FO circles to say the least. In fact, many see him at the bottom of the barrel. These are what many agents have resonated to us. But hey what do they know. I'm sure they pale in comparison to your knowledge of the inside, 24.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
Not devil or god. He's just unqualified. What is his qualification to even be the floor manager at Burger King? What in his resume shows anything remotely close to success? Has he played or coached the game in HS, college, pros?

He's 1 for 5 in coaching hires. Thats assuming Luke will continue to show promise. I gave him credit for that. Drafting Nance and Clarkson deserves credit too. Rest of the picks were automatics or we fell unto. He also failed flat on FAs. Miserably. Over and over again. Some of it is the situation I will give him that but hes also far from a great business negotiator.

Now trades? There have 3-4 really good ones and quite a few bad ones. I dont claim to have the deep connections with Laker FO as some here boasts but in Private Equity / Hedge Fund world we interact with quite a few top agents and its Mitch that is doing all the legwork in trades. Jimmy is not well respected in FO circles to say the least. In fact, many see him at the bottom of the barrel. These are what many agents have resonated to us. But hey what do they know. I'm sure they pale in comparison to your knowledge of the inside, 24.

OK, I will give this one more shot:

His qualifications are years of on the job training and experience. Did he get to be owner because he inherited the team? Yes. Is that fair? No, but that's life, and he has spent years learning the game. But what is he supposed to do? Does he have to sell the team because he didn't buy it and instead inherited it?

Not sure where you came up with five coaching hires. I assume you include Rudy T? So he was in charge then, but disappeared when Phil was hired, only to magically re-appear when Phil stepped down? He was either in charge or not. And Rudy T was liked and respected around the league and in the Lakers front office. He just ended up with some psychological/alcohol issues that led to him needing to step back. He stayed with the organization btw.

It kind of goes with the Jerry veto of Phil the last time. Even Jeanie admits it was Jim who approached her about Phil, and Phil agrees that things went well (even though it was Phil who unmercifully went after Jim in previous stints).

I don't think Jim hired Rudy, and I don't think he hired Phil back. I think he was involved in both. As he was involved in the brown and mda hires. And he owns Scott and Walton completely.

I agree with you that Mitch is doing the lion's share of the work. He's supposed to. Jim is the owner. As such, he should be involved in the big decisions and should let his gm do most of the actual transactional work.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject:

So an intern at Goldman Sachs is suddenly qualified to be the CEO of firm? Hey he also followed others around all day. Haha. I've worked in my share of M&As early in my career but never heard that logic when putting together an executive team before. You must start teaching at Wharton with this secret knowledge of yours.

According to your math, he's 1 for 2 on coaching hires? Just hard to keep up with all your revisionist history.

So you get on your high horse and warn others against cherry-picking but what do you call the post above?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
So an intern at Goldman Sachs is suddenly qualified to be the CEO of firm? Hey he also followed others around all day. Haha. I've worked in my share of M&As early in my career but never heard that logic when putting together an executive team before. You must start teaching at Wharton with this secret knowledge of yours.

According to your math, he's 1 for 2 on coaching hires? Just hard to keep up with all your revisionist history.

So you get on your high horse and warn others against cherry-picking but what do you call the post above?

You mean the Goldman Sachs that was exclusively run by family members for 50 years?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:

I'm just saying he inherited the team, and went about trying to learn how to run it when it became his. What do you want him to do? Refuse the inheritance? Sell the team, but only to a former nba guy?

And as I've said, he was involved in the hiring of all those coaches. Seems more revisionist to say he hired one, had nothing to do with the next, etc. And since Jerry gets credit for the titles, then doesn't he get credit for what happened during them? Or just the good stuff, and the dumb son did the mistakes? Or if you prefer to say he was in charge at that time, then he gets the rings. Can't have it both ways.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't recall all these complaints about Mitch/jim when the team was winning rings. But that's just me. Sometimes take the good with the bad.

I can agree with that... With a few caveats.
Like 1) tangible growth and 2) outperforming other lotto teams from the past 3 years.

And I'm not crying any tears for Jim and Mitch being held to high standard. We're the lakers. For the rest of my life and beyond. I hope the lakers front office is held to higher standard than the league average.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject:

I mean, Jerry Buss, Jim Buss, and Mitch all interviewed Brown and said they all agreed on him. So are they just secretly covering for him? Did they leave the room and let him just take care of it? Same with mda? I give him his share of those.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:

You mean the Goldman Sachs that was exclusively run by family members for 50 years?

Not since they went public in '99.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand how people can be so upset about Jim, when we have literally no idea how involved he is in personnel decisions. He definitely has some input and likely final say on major decisions, but isn't that something all owners have the power to do?

For the people who hate Jim, what exactly has he concretely done to warrant that hate? Other than the possibility that he may have had some influence on basketball decisions?

I see claims about revisionist history, but it seems like the people who dislike Jim are the ones to blame him for all of this franchise's misfortunes and give him no credit for our successes.

I don't think there is a single person here acting like Jim is perfect or hasn't made any mistakes. We know he has, but if you acknowledge that he played a role in those mistakes you have to give him some credit for other things as well.

The example of giving Jim credit for the Phil rehire years ago was not a literal one. The way I understood it, it was simply pointing out that you can't say Jim took over right when things went bad and then gave up power during good decisions. It doesn't work that way.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:

Not since they went public in '99.

They did ok before then.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
I don't understand how people can be so upset about Jim, when we have literally no idea how involved he is in personnel decisions. He definitely has some input and likely final say on major decisions, but isn't that something all owners have the power to do?

For the people who hate Jim, what exactly has he concretely done to warrant that hate? Other than the possibility that he may have had some influence on basketball decisions?

I see claims about revisionist history, but it seems like the people who dislike Jim are the ones to blame him for all of this franchise's misfortunes and give him no credit for our successes.

I don't think there is a single person here acting like Jim is perfect or hasn't made any mistakes. We know he has, but if you acknowledge that he played a role in those mistakes you have to give him some credit for other things as well.

The example of giving Jim credit for the Phil rehire years ago was not a literal one. The way I understood it, it was simply pointing out that you can't say Jim took over right when things went bad and then gave up power during good decisions. It doesn't work that way.

A lot of people have pointed to his hat as primary driver of angst.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:

A lot of people have pointed to his hat as primary driver of angst.
Fair enough
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:

It has become a joke, used to be a great site. Like state-controlled media, LG is now run by Jimmy's minions with their revisionist guns blazing, ready to defend their GOD's honor at all cost. What a joke. Anyone with a brain knows Phil was hired in spite of Jimmy. Its concerning how much fake news is prevailing with the sheeps these days.

Since we are applying wide brushstrokes to give Jimmy credit for the successes of the 2peat and spinning it as facts, he should also get credit for the 2007 Amare plan, the 2008 Yao plan, the utter failure starting from Shaq trade to Pau trade. Rudy, MB, MDA, BS. Jimmy has no business running a small hot dog vendor business let alone a $3B franchise. Failed at everything daddy's money gave him access to. The best parallel is Dolan Jr, see how he did with the Knicks.

You are correct about the Dolan Jr. analysis.

I have been pointing out Jimmy's missteps for numerous years.

I was glad that Jimmy placed a firm deadline to leave if the team did not compete for a championship. Although I recognized that Jimmy has recently made comments about that deadline, I believe in the end, we are in a win win situation because either the Lakers will be successful or Jimmy Buss will resign.

Like Dolan, Jr, after numerous failures, he simply relinquished control to Phil. Whether it will be successful with Phil, only time will tell.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject:

To add on, nobody is saying that criticism of the front office is not fair game. It's just hard to have a discussion when people have such an intense dislike for Jim without concrete/specific reasons as to why (other than his hat). How in the world can people be so certain of their feelings, with so much ambiguity about Jim's role in the front office?
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:

You are correct about the Dolan Jr. analysis.

I have been pointing out Jimmy's missteps for numerous years.

I was glad that Jimmy placed a firm deadline to leave if the team did not compete for a championship. Although I recognized that Jimmy has recently made comments about that deadline, I believe in the end, we are in a win win situation because either the Lakers will be successful or Jimmy Buss will resign.

Like Dolan, Jr, after numerous failures, he simply relinquished control to Phil. Whether it will be successful with Phil, only time will tell.

For the sake of discussion about actual criticisms of the front office and specifically Jim, can you elaborate on some of those missteps?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13
Jump to: