Could Rashard Lewis be that 2nd option that we really need?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Could Rashard Lewis be that 2nd option that we really need?

I just read emplay's latest artlicle, and he almost hints at Rashard Lewis being available before the deadline, and him being a good triangle player. Which got me thinking: could Rashard Lewis be that biggest missing piece to our puzzle that we've been hoping for?

I don't know if the Lakers could get him, or even if they're going after him, but if we could somehow get him without giving up Odom, we'd be a much better team. I've said it before, I really believe we're one legit scoring threat and a couple cheap role players away from contending again. Lewis is athletic, he's a definite scorer, he's young, and he'll also get you around 6 boards a game. However, I'm not really familiar with his game, so I don't know how good a defender he is, or if he'd be a defensive liability.

Which gets me to my main question: could we build a definite title contender around a core of Kobe, Lewis, and Odom, or would Lewis just be a temporary solution and become trade bait in a couple years? It seems like Buss and Mitch aren't going to pull the trigger on someone unless he's that other good player we need next to Kobe that we could build a championship team around, and I agree with that. Would Lewis be it, if we could actually get him? I don't really like all these threads suggesting hypothetical trades (partly because most don't sound realistic), but if we have a shot at getting Lewis, especially if we don't have to give up Odom, is it worth going after? Star players have been getting traded around the last couple years for almost nothing, so you never know.

Last edited by slavavov on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject:

If we don't have to give up Odom, Kobe, or Byum. Then I'd do the trade. Rashard Lewis would be a legit 2nd scorer no doubt and he's not even in his prime yet.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject:

I would trade LO for rashard any day. He's a better shooter and the triangle is suited for players like him. He plays the same D and can play PF though LO IS an better rebounder but so what. We got Kwame and Cook at PF, we dont need LO there for his rebounding. Rashard is an amazing shooter, he's in the wrong offense, and I think Seatle may do this trade

Odom for Rashard and throw ins.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Only in our dreams...I'd love to...
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
Only in our dreams...I'd love to...

Yep!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject:

who could we give up and keep kb odom and bynum? nobody but i would love lewis on our team,could hit the three and can drop 25 any night
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject:

If LA can keep LO and get Lewis, that would be cherry.

Dev, Slava, Cook, Miami 1 for Lewis and Fortson.
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
If LA can keep LO and get Lewis, that would be cherry.

Dev, Slava, Cook, Miami 1 for Lewis and Fortson.

Then we are just an MLE point guard away...
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject:

I think this is why the extended Kwames deal. Seattle wants to trade Lewis because he said for sure he is opting out in 07. So Seattle wants someone back with a descent contract that is long term like.

So something like Lewis and filler for Kwame and expirings and Miamis pick might be good enough. Get something for nothing is Seattles thinking since they are over the cap and wont be able to resign Lewis.

Then for us, when Lewis opts out, we'll be super duper under the cap, sign a max free agent that uses up all our cap space and then resign Lewis since he's our own free agent.

If this is what Mitch does and is his plan, then he is a genius. If he guaranteed Kwames deal as a way to motivate Kwame and nothing else, then Mitch really is an idiot.
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
I think this is why the extended Kwames deal. Seattle wants to trade Lewis because he said for sure he is opting out in 07. So Seattle wants someone back with a descent contract that is long term like.

So something like Lewis and filler for Kwame and expirings and Miamis pick might be good enough. Get something for nothing is Seattles thinking since they are over the cap and wont be able to resign Lewis.

Then for us, when Lewis opts out, we'll be super duper under the cap, sign a max free agent that uses up all our cap space and then resign Lewis since he's our own free agent.

If this is what Mitch does and is his plan, then he is a genius. If he guaranteed Kwames deal as a way to motivate Kwame and nothing else, then Mitch really is an idiot.

I hope you are right. Man that would be AWESOME. Rashad Lewis is legit STAR type of player. With Kobe, Lewis, Lamar, Cook, Mihm....this team can actually compete against elite teams.

And with Cookie and his recent scoring trends, we would be hot. Lewis, Cook are both shooters who can KNOCK DOWN OPEN SHOTS (get rid of Luke by the way). And then LO could play naturally being the 3rd or 4th guy which is perfect for LO. And most importantly, Kobe can be Kobe and much more because that leaves a lot of the pressure off him. Plus Kobe would be avg 6+ assists per game cuz guys would make shots.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:

I really hope this is the real reason behind extending Kwame's deal. Say what you will about Mitch, but I don't think he or Buss are dumb enough to do this without some kind of hidden reason, whether there's a trade in the works now or they want to use him a bait. Things have been quiet on the trade front recently, and the deadline is approaching, could these be signs?

And if we actually get Lewis for Kwame and filler, why would we still need a max FA in 2007 or 08? If Lewis works out on this team, we'd have a core of Kobe, Odom, and Lewis to build around. All you would then need is cheap role players that work in Phil's system (especially guys that can hit open 3s). We need to stop thinking that we need another legit superstar next to Kobe to win a title. We do need a good player or a star like Lewis, but not necessarily someone like KG, Bosh, or Lebron.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Chew on this for a bit. What was the last trade between the Seattle Supersonics and Los Angeles Lakers?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:

I think Lewis would be a great fit for this team. He is definitely a proven 2nd option who can consistantly give us 20 ppg. Playing alongside Kobe will give him more open looks than ever. Pick up Eddie Jones with the MLE and you start with Mihm, LO, Lewis, Kobe and Eddie as your starting five, Cook, Bynum, Smush, Turiaf coming off the bench.
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Chew on this for a bit. What was the last trade between the Seattle Supersonics and Los Angeles Lakers?

2000. We got Horace Grant and filler. It was part of the trade that got Ewing to Seattle & Rice to the Knicks. Kinda lackluster all around, although somebody got our 1st round pick (don't know who that turned into). So there's no history of not wanting to trade with us like the Clippers or Minnesota under the McHale regime.

Ok. You got me.

What am I chewing on that non-issue for?
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Gepetto wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

2000. We got Horace Grant and filler. It was part of the trade that got Ewing to Seattle & Rice to the Knicks. Kinda lackluster all around, although somebody got our 1st round pick (don't know who that turned into). So there's no history of not wanting to trade with us like the Clippers or Minnesota under the McHale regime.

Ok. You got me.

And before that, Sam Perkins for Benoit Benjamin and Doug Christie
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject:

TG711 wrote:
Gepetto wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Ok. You got me.

And before that, Sam Perkins for Benoit Benjamin and Doug Christie

Exactly - so if the trade makes sense for both sides it'll get done. That being said, I'm not sure what trade we can propose that doesn't send out Odom, Bynum or Kobe that brings us Lewis. Unless of course there are serious irreconcilable issues between the Sonics & Lewis (especially $$$). Happened with Payton though and I never thought I'd see that come to pass.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject:

There's a 6 or 7 page thread on this. Rashard would be a great fit next to Kobe. Look what he's doing next to Ray "I want Kobe money" Allen. This guy understands how to punish defenses for double/triple teaming the star player, much like Kobe understood how to make teams pay for double/triple teaming Snaq. He has the long range shooting that this team is lacking, and he attacks the basket harder than anyone on this team. He'd be a great fit in the triangle. The only problem is he has made it known that he will opt out of his contract in '07/08 to seek a max contract (he's already due to make $10 mil that year).
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Having a deadeye outside shooter like Rashard could never hurt your team. Unless they are a liability on the defensive end but Rashard isn't that handicapped.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:

I'm pretty sure that we'd have to renounce R Lewis to get that max slot...

Then, we'd only be able to sign him for the amount we had left...

Therefore, that's not happening...
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

I have always felt Rashard would be nothing but an ASSET to this team. We need shooters. Not only is he a shooter, he is a star. He can create his own shot. He is a big like Odom that can handle the ball too. He'd give us 20 a night easy in the triangle.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject:

kobekillinu2nite wrote:
I have always felt Rashard would be nothing but an ASSET to this team. We need shooters. Not only is he a shooter, he is a star. He can create his own shot. He is a big like Odom that can handle the ball too. He'd give us 20 a night easy in the triangle.

Uh, he's not that good at "handling" the ball. Driving to the basket is about it, but in terms of handling and bringing it upcourt, never on this planet. To get him though, we'd have to give up Odom or Mihm, because Seattle has a pretty weak C position and probably would like a big.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
crucifixion wrote:

Exactly. Not to mention that the Sonics would no doubt be able to pick up Kwame's team option if the Lakers traded him there, and they'd be able to do it in 2007 before he becomes a FA, so there goes that reasoning.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject:

The answer to the question in your title is yes, could be. Too bad we don't have a chance in hell of getting him...
reincarnatingDaBulls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers plan all along was to acquire Lewis over players such as Artest, Rose, Banks (all the players who i thought would make a significant improvement) then i humbly admit that i was completely in the wrong for questioning their judgement. Lewis, Odom, and Kobe sounds ridiculous. If Flip Murray could get thrown into that package, our team would be pretty serious. The thing is, i would hate to lose cook just to get Lewis. Cook is 6'10". The Same as Odom and Lewis. Big Men who can shoot are a valuable commodity. We would still have 2 1/2 Dirty Work Bigs, In Turiaf, Mihm & Kwame. If we could get Lewis & Murray for Slava, George, Mckie, and Brian Grants expiring contract (i believe thats tradable) then our future would definitely be alot brighter.

Mihm/Kwame/Bynum
Odom/Cook/Turiaf
Lewis/Walton/Green
Kobe/Flip/Wafer
Smush/Sasha

thats a pretty good squad right there
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

Walter Sobchak wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
crucifixion wrote:

Exactly. Not to mention that the Sonics would no doubt be able to pick up Kwame's team option if the Lakers traded him there, and they'd be able to do it in 2007 before he becomes a FA, so there goes that reasoning.

However, we could be planning to trade Mihm, not Kwame, in a package with say George & the Miami #1 for Lewis. Salaries are about right and Seattle gets an improving and still young big at a very reasonable price as well as cap relief. Kwame becomes our starting (defense oriented) center and gets his 30 minutes a night, Bynum gets his 15 minutes a game everyone seems to think he needs. Kwame's contract ends right about the time Bynum should be ready to start, hence the guarantee.

Seem plausible to anyone else?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: