It's time for a trade - The Trade Deadline Thread (Woj: Lakers get Ennis from Houston/Huertas out P. 207)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 225, 226, 227  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Megaton wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Nick could always play out the rest of the season after he gets traded, opt out, and come back home. Nothing really stopping that scenario from happening, right?

Wrong. Unless he wants to play here again for a vet min, signing him would hurt the cap space for 2018 which the Lakers currently value also highly right now.

There is no realistic scenario where Young plays here beyond the rest of this season.

Why not a two-year deal with a team option on the second year?

Young will be 32 years old this year, and it will be his last chance at getting a much bigger contract after going from a guy that was close to getting cut, to a guy that actually has some value around the league now.

He's gonna get paid one way or the other. But it won't be here.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Megaton wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Nick could always play out the rest of the season after he gets traded, opt out, and come back home. Nothing really stopping that scenario from happening, right?

Wrong. Unless he wants to play here again for a vet min, signing him would hurt the cap space for 2018 which the Lakers currently value also highly right now.

There is no realistic scenario where Young plays here beyond the rest of this season.

Sure, you could, but I'd rather get a pick than that scenario. I'm not as adamant about it as I was with Lou--we HAD to get a 1st for Lou and we did--but the one thing I am adamant about is that we can't commit to Nick beyond next season. I think it would be bad business. He's simply been too volatile over the course of his career to trust as more than a 1-year option.

The scenario I outlined is: get a 2nd round pick for Nick. Nick opts out. Nick signs back with the Lakers on a two-year deal with a team option on the second year. Pick + Nick.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Megaton wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:

Young will be 32 years old this year, and it will be his last chance at getting a much bigger contract after going from a guy that was close to getting cut, to a guy that actually has some value around the league now.

What would you anticipate his contract will be, in terms of years + salary?
augus7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

[RealGM]Lakers, Kings Could Be Trade Partner For 76ers On Jahlil Okafor
https://mobile.twitter.com/RealGM/status/834648935901782016

Not sure if it's reliable.

While I like Okafor as a prospect, we already have a great big man prospect in Zu (inferior post game but better defense and rebounding).
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Megaton wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:

Sure, you could, but I'd rather get a pick than that scenario. I'm not as adamant about it as I was with Lou--we HAD to get a 1st for Lou and we did--but the one thing I am adamant about is that we can't commit to Nick beyond next season. I think it would be bad business. He's simply been too volatile over the course of his career to trust as more than a 1-year option.

The scenario I outlined is: get a 2nd round pick for Nick. Nick opts out. Nick signs back with the Lakers on a two-year deal with a team option on the second year. Pick + Nick.

Which would be cool and kinda funny.

But Young will look to get paid. He's gonna want a nice, long secure profit after his best season in a while.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

I am really surprised people had no problem trading Lou but wants to keep Young. Young has been great for us because he can play 3&D. But he will be looking for a multiple year contract and his defense will only get worse. Overpaying for one year is an option but there is no guarantee he would accept it.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Megaton wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Megaton wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:

He's gonna want that 4 year $10+ mill per year.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject:

augus7 wrote:

While I like Okafor as a prospect, we already have a great big man prospect in Zu (inferior post game but better defense and rebounding).

a three way deal where the Kings get Okafor and we get a 2nd rounder or something perhaps?

Makes more sense for Okafor to go to the Kings after getting rid of Cousins.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Megaton wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Megaton wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:

Interesting. Thoughts on Casspi or Gerald Green as a replacement this summer?
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject:

I am all for trading Young. His game is awful and he is hurting the team. In every single game , in 99% of the time, when he has the ball he will shoot. For me that's not basketball that's idiotism. And his celebrations when we losing like with 20 points when he scores three is disgusting.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Megaton wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Megaton wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Megaton wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:

Interesting. Thoughts on Casspi or Gerald Green as a replacement this summer?

Possibly. But I'll happily wait to see what's in store for us in the draft and see what kind of diamonds we can find with the picks.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject:

at this point, trading Nick is a good idea. Sink or swim, we need to see what DLO can do as the guy. While he's surely going to get better and better, this would be a great first test/opportunity to take over the team. IMO, Nick and Lou are really 2 guys who DLO would step aside for. Now it's all him.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
I am all for trading Young. His game is awful and he is hurting the team. In every single game , in 99% of the time, when he has the ball he will shoot. For me that's not basketball that's idiotism. And his celebrations when we losing like with 20 points when he scores three is disgusting.

I'm in favor of trading Nick, though some here might be disappointed at the return. A mid 2nd rounder should do, and would be fine by me.
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
augus7 wrote:

a three way deal where the Kings get Okafor and we get a 2nd rounder or something perhaps?

Kings are collecting centers like Philly did lol. They got WCS and drafted two centers this past draft and now they're interested in Okafor.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
45th pick is selling pretty low on Nick.

It's a mid-2nd in a deep draft. How much better do you think we can do? He's a 20+ game rental, plus playoffs. That's it. He's opting out for sure.

And Utah doesn't even have to send us back an expiring, since they are far enough under the cap to simply absorb Nick. I mean, I'll take Shelvin Mack back if they want to just give him to us for the rest of the year to try out.
We could just keep him and see if he's interested in a sweetheart contract to stay in his hometown

I don't want to give him a 2-year deal, and I'd rather have a pick than Nick on a 1-year deal.

People here on LG are over valuing a second round pick WAYYYY too much

2nd round picks landed Clarkson, Zubac, Nance (he was basically a 2nd rounder, you don't have to try and correct me about him being 27). 2nd round and late first round picks can find diamond in the rough, especially lately through the last handful of years.

And a 2nd round pick is definitely more valuable than 20 games of Nick Young. It's simple logic.

Zubac, Nance and Clarkson wouldn't even get off the bench for any of the playoff teams. Clarkson maybe, but would be a 7th 8th man in the rotation at best.

We aren't a good team at all. It's sad how much we value these players who on any other team wouldn't even see the floor.

Young on the other hand would be a 6th man on most teams in the league.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Do the Jazz have a TPE? On ESPN trade machine it says they have 13 mill in cap space which is definitely wrong. Was going to say Young for Warriors 1st.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject:

tnell wrote:
Megaton wrote:
augus7 wrote:

Kings are collecting centers like Philly did lol. They got WCS and drafted two centers this past draft and now they're interested in Okafor.

Well it's Vivek/Vlade after all. They look at Hield still as the 6th pick and as a future Kobe while they probably think Okafor is the future Duncan.

They probably go "We got our Kobe-Shaq duo!"
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Do the Jazz have a TPE? On ESPN trade machine it says they have 13 mill in cap space which is definitely wrong. Was going to say Young for Warriors 1st.

Looks like they can absorb him, I'd settle for NY's 2nd that Utah owns.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

It's a mid-2nd in a deep draft. How much better do you think we can do? He's a 20+ game rental, plus playoffs. That's it. He's opting out for sure.

And Utah doesn't even have to send us back an expiring, since they are far enough under the cap to simply absorb Nick. I mean, I'll take Shelvin Mack back if they want to just give him to us for the rest of the year to try out.
We could just keep him and see if he's interested in a sweetheart contract to stay in his hometown

I don't want to give him a 2-year deal, and I'd rather have a pick than Nick on a 1-year deal.

2nd round picks landed Clarkson, Zubac, Nance (he was basically a 2nd rounder, you don't have to try and correct me about him being 27). 2nd round and late first round picks can find diamond in the rough, especially lately through the last handful of years.

And a 2nd round pick is definitely more valuable than 20 games of Nick Young. It's simple logic.

Zubac, Nance and Clarkson wouldn't even get off the bench for any of the playoff teams. Clarkson maybe, but would be a 7th 8th man in the rotation at best.

We aren't a good team at all. It's sad how much we value these players who on any other team wouldn't even see the floor.

Then it's a good thing we're not competing for a title this year or next, and those guys can still develop.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Looks like they can absorb him, I'd settle for NY's 2nd that Utah owns.

Yep, or it could turn out to be Detroit's 2nd if they somehow fell behind NY (like if they traded Drummond or KCP and blew it up, for some reason).

Also, I don't think Nick's market value is a 4-year deal. His history is just too volatile for that and he's over 30. That said, he should have no trouble getting at least a 2-year deal. My best guess is something like 2/$22MM or 3/$30MM. I don't dismiss the possibility that he could agree to a 1+1 deal with the Lakers on a slight discount since he loves being a Laker so much, but I'd rather have a pick.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject:

I remember reading somewhere that you could not sign a player you've traded for one year.

I love basketball. *Metta voice*
augus7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject:

tnell wrote:
Megaton wrote:
augus7 wrote:

I'm not optimistic that their 2016 picks will pan out tbh.

Them getting Okafor will make them at least watchable on the offense side of the court
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject:

yuurin98 wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that you could not sign a player you've traded for one year.

"A team cannot reacquire a player they traded away during that season (a season being July 1 - June 30). If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first."

Source

That means we can sign Nick after he opts out starting July 1, assuming he doesn't get waived between now and the end of the year, which would be monumentally stupid.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yuurin98 wrote:

"A team cannot reacquire a player they traded away during that season (a season being July 1 - June 30). If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first."

Source

That means we can sign Nick after he opts out starting July 1, assuming he doesn't get waived between now and the end of the year, which would be monumentally stupid.

I'd certainly be fine with getting a 2nd round pick for him and then he re-signs with us on a 1-year deal with a 2nd year team option. Then, if he is having another good year next season, he could have value to contenders because he'd be just like Lou. Which is to say, controllable for the following season by the team. Might even be able to get a 1st for him LOL.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Nance would be a rotation player on every team. I'm not sure what you're smoking.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 225, 226, 227  Next
Page 173 of 227
Jump to: