So, the team needs a decent 1st round pick.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: So, the team needs a decent 1st round pick.

I think it's too risky to advocate tanking when this team started 10-10. It's also not fantastic to advocate for killing the hopes and dreams of our current young players we're still tasked with developing. Tanking is war, and you can't half-ass war.

I realize that we're short on lotto picks the next three years due to desperation moves.

I realize Lou is incredibly important to this team winning the few times that it can... but if he's our only sell high candidate, I think you have to pull the trigger. Trading Lou also has a high chance of negatively impacting the current players... but what else can you do?

Look at this draft, and look at how every rebuild movement in the league is about to add a top lotto pick, and the Lakers will likely be sitting around like idiots on lotto night. That makes me sick.

Lakers management can't pat themselves on the back for finally agreeing to a proper rebuild. They should be lamenting on the fact that they twiddled their thumbs for a couple years after Kobe tore his achilles... and they should be doing whatever they can to make sure that their tardy rebuild project doesn't fall behind.

I'm not that uncomfortable with our young guys. But if you're frustrated with where they're at now, wait until our equally lowly competitors right now add another top prospect and we don't.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject:

So you want to trade our best player for another teenager who will be ruthlessly criticized around here?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
So you want to trade our best player for another teenager who will be ruthlessly criticized around here?

Yep.

Even if he doesn't pan out.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

this place needs more spicy debates about 20 year olds tbh
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Yep.

The gambler!

I don't entirely disagree. Then again Lou wil is not that old and the way this team started out before the injuries leads me to believe that it is not time to blow it up yet.

I am actually glad I am not in Mitch's shoes.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Yep.

The gambler!

I don't entirely disagree. Then again Lou wil is not that old and the way this team started out before the injuries leads me to believe that it is not time to blow it up yet.

I am actually glad I am not in Mitch's shoes.

What can I say, I'm justsomehinkiefan

I think Mitch has a tough decision in that he has to consider the current players' development if they lose a leader like Lou Will in the locker room, and the need for another shot at a top player.... given that there's a trade candidate out there for Lou for a 1st rounder.

Do you bring the current guys down in a shot to add another possible star? Are you getting a star 15-25th spots in the draft, depending on Lou's value? Or can the Lakers not get picky (heh) about what 1st round pick that can actually fall into their lap right now?

Tough.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject:

Lou def has value. Especially to a playoff contender. I'm actually interested to see what he's worth.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject:

Just one problem : The playoff teams that could use Lou will get picks in the range that are not worthy of Lou

thus, it is not a trade in our favor
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Just one problem : The playoff teams that could use Lou will get picks in the range that are not worthy of Lou

thus, it is not a trade in our favor

I did a breakdown of this in one of the draft thread. I think there's a couple spots before 25th that could bite by the deadline. Chicago being one of them.

I won't fault Mitch if there's not a good deal to be had of course. I think anywhere up to at least 20 is interesting. The draft also starts to thin out big time by the end of the 1st.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject:

Maybe, but from Mitch's standpoint he may feel that he could get late first round talent in the second round or via FA without having to give up Lou. Lou might have better value as an outgoing piece of a larger bundle for an established player.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject:

Sorry to be so blunt, but what a stupid idea. We see now what tanking has done to our young players, it is now ok for them to give some effort, but if they lose, it is also ok to give up and lose. That is all they know. There has been no accountability, no hard lessons on giving effort for most of the game and to have personal pride in your play. It is fine to stink it up and lose games, that is all these young players know. And it is obvious that is all some fans know, they are bigger losers than the team is.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

I don't understand this at all. I don't understand the continued thinking that yet another talented, yes, but young and raw player is the answer to our problems. I just don't get it.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

If I'm trading Lou it's in a package deal for an established player. There's no way I'm trading the best 6th man in the league for a late 1st round pick.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Maybe, but from Mitch's standpoint he may feel that he could get late first round talent in the second round or via FA without having to give up Lou. Lou might have better value as an outgoing piece of a larger bundle for an established player.

I understand this as well. But if that's the route the team's gonna go, then how long are we going to be stuck in limbo between rebuilding and reloading? Let's stop half-assing this like we did a couple years ago.

I think he has to be all the way into a rebuild or not. If he's holding out for a larger deal that never comes, then the team also wastes yet another opportunity to improve their rebuild.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
I don't understand this at all. I don't understand the continued thinking that yet another talented, yes, but young and raw player is the answer to our problems. I just don't get it.

I totally get this. But let's break down how the team can actually improve:

1) bank on who they have, and go all in on them.
2) bank on who they have, but realize they also might not have The Guy
3) cash in on who they have, and reload

I'm at #2. We're not going to get a superstar in free agency in the new CBA. We're drafting or trading for one. I'm not at #3 because I think there's potential with the guys we have...

But there's other teams like Philly and Minny with a lot of potential too. And they're about to add a top pick, and we're not. And the Suns aren't too far behind, and they're adding a pick.

I'm not so in love with our prospects that I'm comfortable with that happening. We have to roll the dice on another prospect. And we have to keep doing it until we get the right guy.

What else can you do?
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure Lou gets you a lotto pick
whathappen2mylakers
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

We need to land Cousins. Start there and it is doable. Sacramento is a cesspool. He wants out. He may be willing to come to a team with no other stars on the chance another star will follow. This team will obviously spend over the cap and pay the tax for the right guys. That could be appealing enough to get him here.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
I'm not sure Lou gets you a lotto pick

Yeah, but I'm not talking about a Lotto pick.

If the best Lou gets is 18-20th... It's probably the best pick the team can get. There's some interesting prospects around there and Lou isn't on the timeline.

Do it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Cousins is his own personal cesspool. But ignoring chemistry, where he would be a horrible fit with a young team, his domination of the ball would never be a fit with what we are trying to do.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject:

whathappen2mylakers wrote:
We need to land Cousins. Start there and it is doable. Sacramento is a cesspool. He wants out. He may be willing to come to a team with no other stars on the chance another star will follow. This team will obviously spend over the cap and pay the tax for the right guys. That could be appealing enough to get him here.

Nooooope. Big Cousins fan here. The team doesn't have enough assets to toss them up in the air like that and not suffer. And I'm high enough on Russ and Randle (Ingram?) that I feel they can still be two very nice pieces to build with.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

So, the team has a MORE than "decent" first round pick, thank you.

ZOOM!!!!!!
whathappen2mylakers
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Cousins is his own personal cesspool. But ignoring chemistry, where he would be a horrible fit with a young team, his domination of the ball would never be a fit with what we are trying to do.

Shaq was "his own personal cesspool" too. So was Kobe to a certain extent. Nearly every great player has some tude. Put Cousins on a winning team and his attitude would be a non issue. And BTW, even with a sh!tty attitude, dude is still a 25/12 guy. So yeah, I'll take the tude.

As to "what we are trying to do". F#ck that sh!t. We are the Lakers. Winning rings is what we do lol. Anything else is unacceptable.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
So, the team has a MORE than "decent" first round pick, thank you.

I'll do (bleep) backflips if we keep it. But the team has a more than decent pick they only have 45-64% chance of keeping.

I'm not on team tank for those odds after a 10-10 start. I'm pretending like we don't have the pick.
whathappen2mylakers
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

Nooooope. Big Cousins fan here. The team doesn't have enough assets to toss them up in the air like that and not suffer. And I'm high enough on Russ and Randle (Ingram?) that I feel they can still be two very nice pieces to build with.

Our current squad does not attract another star. Westbrook would love to come to LA. But not to play with these stiffs. Land Cousins and maybe we get a shot at Russ. Then we in business!
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Shaq was "his own personal cesspool" too. So was Kobe to a certain extent. Nearly every great player has some tude. Put Cousins on a winning team and his attitude would be a non issue. And BTW, even with a sh!tty attitude, dude is still a 25/12 guy. So yeah, I'll take the tude.

As to "what we are trying to do". F#ck that (bleep). We are the Lakers. Winning rings is what we do lol. Anything else is unacceptable.

Do we look like a winning team right now to you? Gutting our few assets for Boogie isn't going to make us a winning team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: