So, the team needs a decent 1st round pick.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Sorry to be so blunt, but what a stupid idea. We see now what tanking has done to our young players, it is now ok for them to give some effort, but if they lose, it is also ok to give up and lose. That is all they know. There has been no accountability, no hard lessons on giving effort for most of the game and to have personal pride in your play. It is fine to stink it up and lose games, that is all these young players know. And it is obvious that is all some fans know, they are bigger losers than the team is.

I've never seen you apologize for your bluntness before.
Who are you and how did you hack into VLF's account?!
Jokes aside, I always enjoy your tone. Some could describe it as hostile or combative. But it kinda reminds me of LG back when I first joined. In general LG is alot nicer now than "back in the day".
whathappen2mylakers
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
whathappen2mylakers wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Cousins is his own personal cesspool. But ignoring chemistry, where he would be a horrible fit with a young team, his domination of the ball would never be a fit with what we are trying to do.

Shaq was "his own personal cesspool" too. So was Kobe to a certain extent. Nearly every great player has some tude. Put Cousins on a winning team and his attitude would be a non issue. And BTW, even with a sh!tty attitude, dude is still a 25/12 guy. So yeah, I'll take the tude.

As to "what we are trying to do". F#ck that (bleep). We are the Lakers. Winning rings is what we do lol. Anything else is unacceptable.

Do we look like a winning team right now to you? Gutting our few assets for Boogie isn't going to make us a winning team.

No it does not. But our current team isn't good enough to compete in the NBA and isn't good enough attract the kind of players needed to win. So really, what good are our current "assets" lol.

Trade them all to get Cousins, if thats what it takes. Cousins, on the Lakers, a team that has show it has ZERO problem spending over the cap and paying the tax, would attract other superstars.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Nooooo not another cousins thread
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Cousins is his own personal cesspool. But ignoring chemistry, where he would be a horrible fit with a young team, his domination of the ball would never be a fit with what we are trying to do.

Shaq was "his own personal cesspool" too. So was Kobe to a certain extent. Nearly every great player has some tude. Put Cousins on a winning team and his attitude would be a non issue. And BTW, even with a sh!tty attitude, dude is still a 25/12 guy. So yeah, I'll take the tude.

As to "what we are trying to do". F#ck that (bleep). We are the Lakers. Winning rings is what we do lol. Anything else is unacceptable.

Do we look like a winning team right now to you? Gutting our few assets for Boogie isn't going to make us a winning team.

No it does not. But our current team isn't good enough to compete in the NBA and isn't good enough attract the kind of players needed to win. So really, what good are our current "assets" lol.

Trade them all to get Cousins, if thats what it takes. Cousins, on the Lakers, a team that has show it has ZERO problem spending over the cap and paying the tax, would attract other superstars.

You don't seem to have a grasp on how the new CBA works, and how it will eliminate players jumping from their current teams. Salary issues aside, a team of Boogie, Deng, Moz, and T-Rob isn't attracting anyone.

Last edited by Purp 32 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Enjoy your short stay here.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Man I don't even want Cousins, just a mid 1st
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject:

There is a stretch 5 available in the late-mid 1st round, who'm I think would be really conducive to wins down the line(I.Hartenstein). Aside from that prospect-crush, I rather keep Lou.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

If there is someone the FO wants in the first round they will offer all they can to get a pick.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
There is a stretch 5 available in the late-mid 1st round, who'm I think would be really conducive to wins down the line(I.Hartenstein). Aside from that prospect-crush, I rather keep Lou.

This draft is 12-13 deep and I'm in the middle of researching stragglers though 20th. Either way, isn't it a good idea to sell on the guy who probably won't be on the team in 2 years anyway? But anyone we draft likely will. I get wanting to keep Lou, but if it's a good deal before 22nd, I'd roll the dice.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
If there is someone the FO wants in the first round they will offer all they can to get a pick.

good point. the competent strategy.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

The new CBA upped the cash that you can use to buy a pick, I think it is over $5 mil now. Maybe that could get us a late first rounder.

Problem is no one wants to sell.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

This draft is 12-13 deep and I'm in the middle of researching stragglers though 20th. Either way, isn't it a good idea to sell on the guy who probably won't be on the team in 2 years anyway? But anyone we draft likely will. I get wanting to keep Lou, but if it's a good deal before 22nd, I'd roll the dice.

yes that line of thinking definitely has some validity. It really all comes back to, whether or not you want to win the most possible games while we aren't in a spot to recruit FAs, and improve to a level of any meaning.. In 2 years Lou won't be a good player(his defense will severely regress, and his O will to a degree) -- That is the year our young core will be good enough to lead us to a playoff birth, and the following summer recruit FAs ---- so before that time, there's a real argument for stacking up young talent, over keeping old mediocre talent.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

yes that line of thinking definitely has some validity. It really all comes back to, whether or not you want to win the most possible games while we aren't in a spot to recruit FAs, and improve to a level of any meaning.. In 2 years Lou won't be a good player(his defense will severely regress, and his O will to a degree) -- That is the year our young core will be good enough to lead us to a playoff birth, and the following summer recruit FAs ---- so before that time, there's a real argument for stacking up young talent, over keeping old mediocre talent.

Also good points. I do think the team has until the deadline to prove they're not as bad as they have been. If they pick it up close to .500, I'd probably go back to wanting to keep Lou as the team looks to lure 2nd/3rd tier FAs.

If they're still struggling around the deadline, I'd like to roll the dice.

However, I do like the earlier idea proposed of trading whatever we need to for a prospect we particularly like, wherever he falls in the draft. But Lou's value will never be higher than it is this February. We'd be looking more into trading Lou, but possibly instead JC and Nance if we're looking into end of lottery or Mid 1sts on draft night.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Sorry to be so blunt, but what a stupid idea. We see now what tanking has done to our young players, it is now ok for them to give some effort, but if they lose, it is also ok to give up and lose. That is all they know. There has been no accountability, no hard lessons on giving effort for most of the game and to have personal pride in your play. It is fine to stink it up and lose games, that is all these young players know. And it is obvious that is all some fans know, they are bigger losers than the team is.

seriously, your just creating a fictional reality to align with your preference. Its not a stupid idea...it is actually the opinion of several non-Laker analyst and talking heads around the league. I have heard Nate Duncan say keeping the pick is the most valuable option for the Lakers....Tim Bontemps of WaPo was just on the Locked on Lakers podcast yesterday saying Lakers fans should hope the team loses as many games as possible to position themselves best to keep their pick.....which will also give them a 2019 1st Round pick. You may not want to go that route, but calling it stupid is inaccurate, and logically fairly stupid in itself.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Please stop the tanking talk. It's not like the lakers won't have a shot at a lotto pick if they win a few games here or there. But honestly at this point I'd like to make the most of what we have.

I mean if you like that mentality just look at where the sixers fan base is a few years later. They aren't happy.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
Please stop the tanking talk. It's not like the lakers won't have a shot at a lotto pick if they win a few games here or there. But honestly at this point I'd like to make the most of what we have.

I mean if you like that mentality just look at where the sixers fan base is a few years later. They aren't happy.

I'm not talking about tanking though

I don't want the team to tank. It's also definitely too late to start. Well, probably. Trading Lou would make the roster inadvertently tank at times, but right now the team needs assets more than anything. The cupboards are empty.

philly would be in a much better spot if they backed Hinkie to the end
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

we view the Sixers fans differently. The hardcore fans that bought into Hinkie, such as many on Liberty Ballers are extremely excited about their future. The home crowd was almost having orgasms when Embiid made his debut at home this year.....and once Simmons gets back on the court, that excitement will only grow. They have several movable assets and are driping with draft picks for the next few years. All those that enjoy clowning on the 76'ers should get as much as possible in now, because they are in a great position to be very good within 2-3 years. They went all in on a plan, and almost everything that could go wrong did go wrong, and they still will come out likely in a far better position than they could have achieved by trying to win as many games as possible each year.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

we view the Sixers fans differently. The hardcore fans that bought into Hinkie, such as many on Liberty Ballers are extremely excited about their future. The home crowd was almost having orgasms when Embiid made his debut at home this year.....and once Simmons gets back on the court, that excitement will only grow. They have several movable assets and are driping with draft picks for the next few years. All those that enjoy clowning on the 76'ers should get as much as possible in now, because they are in a great position to be very good within 2-3 years. They went all in on a plan, and almost everything that could go wrong did go wrong, and they still will come out likely in a far better position than they could have achieved by trying to win as many games as possible each year.

EXACTLY.

Philly's only mistake, as I mentioned earlier, was not fully buying into Hinkie. He would have sold higher on Okafor this summer. That is a smart, smart guy who is far more than a tank commander as his reputation suggested. He had a plan, committed and carried it out... And they look set if Simmons is healthy.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Cousins is a problem....
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

I don't want the team to tank. It's also definitely too late to start. Well, probably. Trading Lou would make the roster inadvertently tank at times, but right now the team needs assets more than anything. The cupboards are empty.

I disagree on the last part. Hiring Colangelo wasn't necessarily the way to go, but Hinkie had served his purpose for ownership and he got to be martyred for his process, which is what any hyper-intelligent, socially awkward true believer really wants. The Hinkie hagiography gets absolutely ridiculous.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

I disagree on the last part. Hiring Colangelo wasn't necessarily the way to go, but Hinkie had served his purpose for ownership and he got to be martyred for his process, which is what any hyper-intelligent, socially awkward true believer really wants. The Hinkie hagiography gets absolutely ridiculous.

I'd love to see what Hinkie does for a not-total rebuilding effort. We'll never know how good he actually is unless we see him in another context.

Why he left the Sixers is fascinating to me. I think he was really ahead of the game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

I'd love to see what Hinkie does for a not-total rebuilding effort. We'll never know how good he actually is unless we see him in another context.

Why he left the Sixers is fascinating to me. I think he was really ahead of the game.

he was, and the NBA was terrified that if the 76'ers came out the other side with a stockpile of talent on the roster, half the NBA teams would have did what every NBA team does....copy what worked for someone else. To the NBA's credit, that simply cant happen.

Thats why they forced the Colangelo's in there, and from what I can tell, the Colangelo's are not nor will ever be popular with Philly fans because the way they were placed in there.

Hinkie's mistake was he actually tanked a little too hard....if he could have just signed a competent PG to at least play the game, I dont think it would have been as ugly but achieved the same results. He was not taking any chances, and was fielding a team that likely could not beat most second units. There will be a statue of Hinkie in the city of Philly before there will be one of any member of the Colangelo family.
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

he was, and the NBA was terrified that if the 76'ers came out the other side with a stockpile of talent on the roster, half the NBA teams would have did what every NBA team does....copy what worked for someone else. To the NBA's credit, that simply cant happen.

Thats why they forced the Colangelo's in there, and from what I can tell, the Colangelo's are not nor will ever be popular with Philly fans because the way they were placed in there.

Hinkie's mistake was he actually tanked a little too hard....if he could have just signed a competent PG to at least play the game, I dont think it would have been as ugly but achieved the same results. He was not taking any chances, and was fielding a team that likely could not beat most second units. There will be a statue of Hinkie in the city of Philly before there will be one of any member of the Colangelo family.

Interesting thing about Hinkie is that he's stuck to BPA in the draft despite really harsh positional imbalance.

Noel
Embiid
Okafor
Simmons

Was that really the best strategy? I agree with him losing as many games as possible, but some of the picks were a little puzzling.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

seriously, your just creating a fictional reality to align with your preference. Its not a stupid idea...it is actually the opinion of several non-Laker analyst and talking heads around the league. I have heard Nate Duncan say keeping the pick is the most valuable option for the Lakers....Tim Bontemps of WaPo was just on the Locked on Lakers podcast yesterday saying Lakers fans should hope the team loses as many games as possible to position themselves best to keep their pick.....which will also give them a 2019 1st Round pick. You may not want to go that route, but calling it stupid is inaccurate, and logically fairly stupid in itself.

Intentionally losing games while trying to build the culture of a winning team can only be described as a stupid idea.

Trading a vet, who likely won't be in the plans going forward anyways, for a 1st round pick is not stupid, but it is risky. I would trade Lou if it netted us a top 20 pick.
PassTheBooze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject:

why the hell do people still think Cousins is a franchise player? Dude is a headcase and has led the Kings to absolutely nowhere. Talented? Sure. A player you can build your team around? Hell no.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: