Maybe Byron Wasn't The Problem?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject:

whathappen2mylakers wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
whathappen2mylakers wrote:
This team is trash, that is the problem. The lack of talent is alarming. Seriously I can't remember a Laker squad this bad in all my time as a fan(30+ years). And given the new CBA, the determination by the league to not let teams like ours buy superstars anymore, I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

We have no great players. They are all support/role players. There are no Kobe/Shaq/Magic/etc level players on this team and it is very depressing.

Well then your 30+ years must not have included last season. And expecting Shaq or Kobe-level players just makes you look silly. Those are top 10 GOAT players, and they don't come around very often.

Last year is same as this, same players. you're being petty because you happen to like our current players or have a man crush on one.

We don't even have any good players. ZERO superstars on this team. I am aware SHaq/Kobe?Magic are GOATS. We don't even have a Durant/Curry/Cousins/etc. We have nothing, nada and to claim otherwise is foolish.

No, it isn't the same, this team is more balanced and playing actual NBA systems on offense and defense. But if you don't see that, then carry on.
FloppyDiskz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

One of Byron's biggest weaknesses that doesn't get enough press was his lack of accountability. Did he ever get a technical defending any of his players from a bad call? Did he ever man up and take blame for losses? Players wanting to run through a brick wall for their coach is a big step up from what Byron brought and goes a long way into establishing a winning culture.

His out of touch schemes, whack rotations and chain of command style hierarchy has no place in today's NBA.
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

he sure as hell wasn't the solution. but i always got a soft spot for him because he was a true laker
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Injuries are the prime reason for the slump. That is fact. Constant shuffling. I'm baffled that a ton of you just don't recognize that. This is not a video game. These are young adults learning to play under a new system at a very young age for the most part. I thought this season was about patience and growth? We start off at .500 ball and were inflicted with nagging injuries. Watching hoops for decades, I expected this to be honest. The goal should be health and growth and with that growth comes growing pains. Some of you need to come to grips with this before you have strokes.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject:

FloppyDiskz wrote:
One of Byron's biggest weaknesses that doesn't get enough press was his lack of accountability. Did he ever get a technical defending any of his players from a bad call? Did he ever man up and take blame for losses? Players wanting to run through a brick wall for their coach is a big step up from what Byron brought and goes a long way into establishing a winning culture.

His out of touch schemes, whack rotations and chain of command style hierarchy has no place in today's NBA.

He never took a tech and never gave a heck. Also remember the vines of Byron on the sidelines during actual timeouts where he would just stand with his arms folded? Yeah.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
Injuries are the prime reason for the slump. That is fact. Constant shuffling. I'm baffled that a ton of you just don't recognize that. This is not a video game. These are young adults learning to play under a new system at a very young age for the most part. I thought this season was about patience and growth? We start off at .500 ball and were inflicted with nagging injuries. Watching hoops for decades, I expected this to be honest. The goal should be health and growth and with that growth comes growing pains. Some of you need to come to grips with this before you have strokes.

Plus when you aren't a loaded team to begin with, losing a couple of rotation players is devastating. If one doesn't think that missing Black and Nance on the second unit is a big deal then they haven't been paying attention.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerEric wrote:

Plus when you aren't a loaded team to begin with, losing a couple of rotation players is devastating. If one doesn't think that missing Black and Nance on the second unit is a big deal then they haven't been paying attention.

Completely agree. Nance and Black are extremely productive and are sorely missed. You can see that in these second halves of games.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Anyone that this this team looks the same as it did last year either isn't watching the games or doesn't really understand what they're watching.

Yes, it sucks that this team is blowing huge leads in the third quarter...last year there weren't sniffing huge leads at any point. We also sure as hell weren't seeing much fight from this team last year compared to this year.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject:

I still hate Byron.

I just hate that Luke, in spite of being a more likable guy, is heading in to Byron territory.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject:

I saw the title, and passed or reading for a while....but now I have decided to not read the thread, but say...yes, Byron Scott was a big part of the problem and should never coach in the NBA again in the near future.

Last edited by adkindo on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject:

No matter who the coach is or was, the Losses were going to be high and the Wins were going to be low.

With this team, and the team of the past few years, the issue isn't about wins and losses. It's about how they play the game. Is there an offense? Do the players look like they are trying to do something together or does it look like a pick up game? Are they on the same page? Do they know what they are trying to do on the floor?

Byron was horrible at getting the team focused on a strategy.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
On this day, under MDA in 2013-2014, we had 13 wins and were fresh off a game featuring the following players:

Starters
PG: Jordan Farmar
SG: Jodie Meeks
SF: Wesley Johnson
PF: Shawne Williams
C: Jordan Hill

Bench
BN: Nick Young
BN: Ryan Kelly
BN: Kendall Marshall
BN: Robert Sacre
BN: Chris Kaman
BN: Xavier Henry

We won 27 games that year. This team is our team. Bleh.

MDA is actually a good coach. Just was a bad fit culture wise here.

With the right roster (not the Dwight Pau roster he inherited here) MDA can help an average team over achieve. Especially in the regular season.
I'm happy he's found success in HOU.
But in the playoffs. In game adjustments and game to game adjustments aren't his strong suit. His simplified offensive system becomes a little to obvious and repetitive in the post season.

But his out of bounds plays were genius.
ningchi
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Its not a zero sum analysis. While we are not appreciably getting more wins, there are lots of intangible areas that the team has improved upon.

1. Improved offensive efficiency and pace (we are roughly middle of the road this year, pretty much last in the league last year)
2. #1 rated bench production in league
3. Last year we lost on averge by 10ppg, this year 6ppg
4. Individual player development and improvement (Randle, Nick Young are having career years)
5. Return to form of 6th man of the year Lou Williams
6. Luke's willingness to play young players through mistakes. Brandon Ingram averaging league most mpg among rookies.

The reasons for Byron hate were justified. Wins and losses didn't matter, it has always been his process and approach to developing and coaching the roster that was abhorrent.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
On this day, under MDA in 2013-2014, we had 13 wins and were fresh off a game featuring the following players:

Starters
PG: Jordan Farmar
SG: Jodie Meeks
SF: Wesley Johnson
PF: Shawne Williams
C: Jordan Hill

Bench
BN: Nick Young
BN: Ryan Kelly
BN: Kendall Marshall
BN: Robert Sacre
BN: Chris Kaman
BN: Xavier Henry

We won 27 games that year. This team is our team. Bleh.

MDA is actually a good coach. Just was a bad fit culture wise here.

Oh, I totally agree. I'm just trying to show some context. A "good" coach got 27 wins, and had more than we do at this point of the season, with a significantly less talented roster.

I think MDA even had to start a guy by the name of L'Adorable at one point. Amazing.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject:

I think it was pretty clear he was a problem. Not all of the problem but certainly a problem.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I still hate Byron.

I just hate that Luke, in spite of being a more likable guy, is heading in to Byron territory.

Dude, Luke has made mistakes but he's nowhere near Byron territory. And if he ever trends toward an overall negative, the Byron end of the spectrum won't be it.

Luke's problems are his even minutes spread and defensive coaching. Those are his two big problems. He's had some lesser issues, like his subbing for D'Angelo and less minutes he received (which are now trending upward).

To compare the two is kind of nuts. There's a post just before this listing a lot of intangibles this team has improved on, which are also huge.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I still hate Byron.

Dude, Luke has made mistakes but he's nowhere near Byron territory. And if he ever trends negative, the Byron direction won't be it.

Luke's problems are his even minutes spread and defensive coaching. Those are his two big problems. He's had some lesser issues, like his subbing for D'Angelo and less minutes he received (which are now trending upward).

To compare the two is kind of nuts. There's a post just before this listing a lot of intangibles this team has improved on, which are also huge.

Luke is obviously nothing like Byron so I'm not saying they are comparable.

I'm saying Luke better turn this ship around to avoid heading in to Byron territory.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I still hate Byron.

Dude, Luke has made mistakes but he's nowhere near Byron territory. And if he ever trends negative, the Byron direction won't be it.

Luke is obviously nothing like Byron so I'm not saying they are comparable.

I'm saying Luke better turn this ship around to avoid heading in to Byron territory.

But you said he's heading in Byron territory kind of sounds like you're comparing them.

Look I'm critical too, especially of the participation trophy lineups. But remember that they actually used to work... And seeing it from his side, it makes sense trying to re-establish what actually worked for a while before completely abandoning it. So I understand why he's doing it. Formulas for success can take a while, and he found something right out of the gates. He has to solve for a new one.

It's been two months. Let's take a deep breath and trade Lou Williams.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Byron wasn't a good coach, but he wasn't the problem. Not signing the right free agents to surround the young players with falls on the front office. Also, passing on bigs like Porzingis and Myles Turner.
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

No, it isn't the same, this team is more balanced and playing actual NBA systems on offense and defense.

If that's true, either the system sucks or the players suck. It has to be one or the other to pile up L after L after L.

Pick one.
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:

Every team in the NBA deals with some type of injuries. What is the Grizzlies excuse?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
We didn't win 12 games till March under Byron.

We're in December and have won 12 already.

Byron was indeed one of the biggest problems and did nothing to rectify any issues or comprehend our young roster.

ABSOLUTELY !
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
LakerEric wrote:

Every team in the NBA deals with some type of injuries. What is the Grizzlies excuse?

Hmm. They have an all NBA center in Marc Gasol and Conley came back sooner Than anticipated.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No, it isn't the same, this team is more balanced and playing actual NBA systems on offense and defense.

If that's true, either the system sucks or the players suck. It has to be one or the other to pile up L after L after L.

Pick one.

It's no one single thing.

This is a young team that's still learning, they were going to hit a skid at some point. Their currently schedule and the injuries they've piled up recently aren't exactly helping either.

Mind you Minnesota is supposed to have the best young core in the league and they're in the same damn position as us.

Young teams lose, they go on losing streaks, they look good sometimes, other times they look terrible. That's the nature of the league.

5 years ago the Warriors were a 23 win team.

5 years ago the Raptors were also a 23 win team

3 year ago Utah was a 25 win team.

IT TAKES TIME!!!!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject:

His coaching style is terrible but Byron had an assignment (or two) to complete and he did just that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: