3rd Quarter Struggles

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: 3rd Quarter Struggles

On the one hand I'm encouraged we've been playing very well in the first half in many recent games.

Then we cough up big leads in the 3rd quarter. Any explanation for why we are dominating the first half and playing abysmally in the 3rd quarter?
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject:

good thread, the cop out answer is bad halftime adjustments. but i wanna hear more specifics too
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
good thread, the cop out answer is bad halftime adjustments. but i wanna hear more specifics too

I don't think the struggles is because of the youth on the team, I think the smart answer is that we think other teams will fold and we come out less engaged.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

I think an underrated aspect of why the team's struggling is that they've been scouted properly so teams are making sharper adjustments.

Specifically for 3rd quarter meltdowns, I think the team caught the wolves disease and can't lock in when they pull ahead by 10-20 points, and then need to maintain it. That's my extremely unfounded analysis.

It's promising we can pull ahead and dominate half of games though. If you remember to start the season, the team would start horribly and then have awesome second halves. The trend is almost the same, but they're now choosing the wrong halves to (bleep) the bed
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Luke is being outcoached

at the start of the season he was outcoaching the other coaches with his halftime adjustments. Now, not so much

the lakers don't have that many options. they've been scouted.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject:

It is 100% mental. The preparation that they took before the game began is being ignored at half time. Then if things get tight, they resort to old habits and the problems multiply. It isn't something Luke can correct, it is on the players themselves. Believe in the system no matter what happens on the court. I have seen it in the games I have coached, some tune out at halftime if we had a nice lead. I sometimes resorted to full contact tackle drills before the second half started to get their heads back into the game. Unfortunately basketball doesn't work the same way, and each player needs to prepare for the second half as they did for the first half.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Luke is being outcoached

at the start of the season he was outcoaching the other coaches with his halftime adjustments. Now, not so much

the lakers don't have that many options. they've been scouted.

Yeah. He's out coaching in the first half. Maybe since things are going well they stay with the same gameplan while the other team adjusts.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject:

We had the exact same problem (3rd quarter meltdown) last season.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Yeah but the thing is that we gain big leads then we have the meltdown, last year we played basically 48M of bad basketball this season we show spurts then it all goes away.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Seems to me that having a big lead going into halftime is a bad omen for this team.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Yeah last season we'd take a 15 point deficit at the half and see it balloon to 40.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Seems to me that having a big lead going into halftime is a bad omen for this team.

I'm more nervous when they go into the half on a big lead than when they're at a big deficit, because they usually come back in the second half those games. Really weird.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Getting a big lead going into halftime is a good thing.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject:

First half lead means our preparation and execution of game plan is good. Second half meltdown means we are fail to adjust. It may caused by coach's on-game instructions for second half during the break or players ability to execute those instructions collectively. As a new team with so many young players, it is understandable that we have poorer ability to execute on-game instructions. It really takes time for the young players and the team to learn and grow. But I'm please With their performance in first half. It means they have prepared well and can execute game plan well
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It is 100% mental. The preparation that they took before the game began is being ignored at half time. Then if things get tight, they resort to old habits and the problems multiply. It isn't something Luke can correct, it is on the players themselves. Believe in the system no matter what happens on the court. I have seen it in the games I have coached, some tune out at halftime if we had a nice lead. I sometimes resorted to full contact tackle drills before the second half started to get their heads back into the game. Unfortunately basketball doesn't work the same way, and each player needs to prepare for the second half as they did for the first half.

I'm with you, VLF. It just seems like the team lacks the urgency they play with in the 1st quarter. It's most obvious in scramble type defensive sequences; in the first half, they'll often get to the shooter, but in the 2nd half they'll just give up. Maybe it's a conditioning thing as well. And once this team gets rattled, they lack the same fortitude/ resiliency from early in the season, so the opponent goes on a huge run.

Note that this is just relative... they give up plenty of open 3s in the 1st half as well (they just contest a relatively smaller proportion in the 2nd half). Maybe it's also just that other teams get into a rhythm after half time and don't miss as many open 3s?

The other thing that changed is that perhaps the inability for the Lakers to sub out the starters and replace them with our awesome bench core (Clarkson, Williams, Ingram, Nance, Black) means that when a team goes on a 9-2 run, Luke can't end it with the ace up his sleeves. Injuries mean he has to play a tepid lineup and instead that 9-2 run will escalate into a 22-8 extended run or something.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I agree that this is mostly mental. But I disagree that Luke can't do much about correcting it. He must find a way. To me that's like a test for him. Can he change the atmosphere in the locker room so that this young team LEARNS to keep the focus.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject:

seems like young teams gets this problems, coughing up leads. TWolves with exact same thing. I put it on the coaching staff to rectify this
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject:

I think it's purely mental and fixable with experience. Good thing is that it highlights the young guys are good enough to get us there, just need to get some mental reps to ensure they keep the pedal on the gas for 48 mins.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject:

Most of it is mental and it can be corrected. It all starts and ends with a lack of defensive focus and intensity.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: