Kemp's top 50 DONX
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Kemp's top 50 DONX

NBA channel produced. Good watch. I miss him. Shawn was powered by YAYO, not steroids like the kids today! (per George Karl)

SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject:

wow. i know we say vc is the best, but i think that's clearly the best dunk reel i've ever seen.

he bent mutumbos hand ALL the way back.

i'll say it again, i really miss the openness of the court before zone. really allowed for people to get burnt and showcase their footwork and all that.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject:

Kemp on Alton, then the pointing... One of the greatest dunk ever. I knew that had to be the last dunk. No need to watch all the others. LOL!

But it's interesting what George Karl dropped about Kemp for Pippen. Who wins in the finals.. Payton/Pippen vs Jordan/Kemp? I think Payton and Pippen might have done it. Pippen probably would given MJ a very tough time, neutralize him a bit. Kemp had no half court game. History would have been so different. MJ would not have his 6 rings.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

The Alton Lister is one of the coolest sports moments. I want that NBA.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

If he had done that today he would have gotten T'd up and ejected lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

It's like watching the attitude era of wwf versus the boring wwe garbage that has been out for the last 15+ years.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

Oh and happy New Years boys. Npzcmb&co may 2017 be rich in health and spirit for you and your fams.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

He was WILD.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
Oh and happy New Years boys. Npzcmb&co may 2017 be rich in health and spirit for you and your fams.

Haha. Thanks, A. Same to you, bro. Health and wealth, my friend. A Lister Blister of vitality and cheer for the gaggle of doods and ladies in this underestimated inner-city Cal-coo-lis class we call LG. Ganas to all.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
wow. i know we say vc is the best, but i think that's clearly the best dunk reel i've ever seen.

i'll say it again, i really miss the openness of the court before zone. really allowed for people to get burnt and showcase their footwork and all that.

I dunno if Mutombo had another problem guy like Kemp, but he packed him over and over. Likewise, there's another Sonics fan reel of Kemp donx not even included in this video. He dunked on Robbo with careless, cavalier ease multiple times in one game. I'm sure he got Zo a lot, too. There's a lefthanded dunk of his on Zo that was amazing. NBA just didn't have that particular game for this vid above. However, from about 93-95, Dikembe Mutombo was as dominant a rim protector as we've seen since Mark Eaton. All those dunks on him just show how much further a guy like Kemp (or more contemporarily, a guy like VC) was compared to other "good" dunkers. You had to be special to embarrass Mutombo that many times.

There's another dunk I've seen that should've been on that vid. Bulls at Sonics, probably 91-2-3ish. Scottie made the mistake of trying Kemp at the rim after a full sprint leap. He got spiked. That's a diff one than the 96 Finals poster that was included. Some dudes even the best defenders have to step aside for. Dr. J. MJ. Vince. Nance I & II. Chambers definitely was one in his youth. Pippen was good at that himself. Brawn.

Here's a different one. Love Calabro.

SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

I dunno if Mutombo had another problem guy like Kemp, but he packed him over and over. Likewise, there's another Sonics fan reel of Kemp donx not even included in this video. He dunked on Robbo with careless, cavalier ease multiple times in one game. I'm sure he got Zo a lot, too. There's a lefthanded dunk of his on Zo that was amazing. NBA just didn't have that particular game for this vid above. However, from about 93-95, Dikembe Mutombo was as dominant a rim protector as we've seen since Mark Eaton. All those dunks on him just show how much further a guy like Kemp (or more contemporarily, a guy like VC) was compared to other "good" dunkers. You had to be special to embarrass Mutombo that many times.

There's another dunk I've seen that should've been on that vid. Bulls at Sonics, probably 91-2-3ish. Scottie made the mistake of trying Kemp at the rim after a full sprint leap. He got spiked. That's a diff one than the 96 Finals poster that was included. Some dudes even the best defenders have to step aside for. Dr. J. MJ. Vince. Nance I & II. Chambers definitely was one in his youth. Pippen was good at that himself. Brawn.

Here's a different one. Love Calabro.

my lord, kemp was the god of dunks. in that calabro video, he has like 5 of those dunks in one game?

everyone realizes we have traded THIS nba for small ball, right? not saying i dont like the 3ball, but this nba was way better. and the main complaint, iirc, was that it was low scoring. i'll take 10 less points a game if it's like this thank you.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

#4 Dunk over Laimbeer was my favorite.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

Kemp never did anything boring, every time he had the ball you knew something exciting was just around the corner.

One of the great showtime players of the 90s, and a big reason people watched the NBA in the 1st place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject:

One word to describe Kemp as a dunker: DISRESPECTFUL
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
Kemp never did anything boring, every time he had the ball you knew something exciting was just around the corner.

One of the great showtime players of the 90s, and a big reason people watched the NBA in the 1st place.

i'm gonna say it. kemp was better than lebron also. he dunks better, which is basically the only thing lebron is actually great at. and kemp dunks waaaaay better. better control in the air, better hands, better all around athletic ability. better footwork, better everything basically. yea, lebron has leadership experience, but big whoop, different eras.

look at kemp's control when he's going top speed....despite how big, strong, and fast he is, he is still in great control. compare this to lebron, randle, etc. lebron, when he goes fast, seems like he's about to dribble the ball of his knee or something. look at kemp. but this was a 80s-90s thing, that kind of open court speed. npz listed the ones above like kemp, chambers, pippen...these long, tall, strong players that were fast and agile...they just dunk through you. kemp is the best of the bunch. especially combined with his utterly disrespectful attitude. this is the basketball i want to see.
Psythe
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Kemp on Alton, then the pointing... One of the greatest dunk ever. I knew that had to be the last dunk. No need to watch all the others. LOL!

But it's interesting what George Karl dropped about Kemp for Pippen. Who wins in the finals.. Payton/Pippen vs Jordan/Kemp? I think Payton and Pippen might have done it. Pippen probably would given MJ a very tough time, neutralize him a bit. Kemp had no half court game. History would have been so different. MJ would not have his 6 rings.

But Kemp balled out against the Bulls in the 96 finals while Payton struggled in several games. Also, maybe Jordan could have helped Kemp with some of his off the court issues.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject:

here's another great one, courtesy (as usual) of NPZ

link
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

No way. All you have to do is watch a VC dunk reel to be convinced that he's the greatest dunker of all-time. Kemp may have the greatest dunk celebrations of all time though.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

No way. All you have to do is watch a VC dunk reel to be convinced that he's the greatest dunker of all-time. Kemp may have the greatest dunk celebrations of all time though.

i just rewatched plenty from both. vc jumps high, but if you look at the volume output, kemp blows vince away. i feel for every great vince dunk, there are 5-10 great kemp dunks. kemp is significantly taller than vc, and i don't know if he's any slower, probably not, and he's way stronger. his dunks are crazy ferocious.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:

I must be in the very small minority here b/c I'm really unmoved by almost every one of the dunks in this compilation. Some of them were nice, but seriously with the Vince Carter comparisons here? Squatting is celebrating? No contest, IMO. My memories of Kemp's dunk game are much better than what I see in this video ...

Here's how you celebrate an epic dunk (my dog agrees) ... he murdered a frog and still found time to shake the blood from his leg ...

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Kemp was a very good player for a very short time. Flashy but undisciplined; great dunker, but not a great all-around player. Good passer and ball handler for his size; average defender; not all that good on the block; decent shooting range.

The best comparison to him would probably be Blake Griffin. Doubt see any team winning a ring with Kemp as their best player.

He was done in by his weight, drugs, and her petulance over signing a bad contract. He never came close to reaching his potential, and never made a single all-NBA first team.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
I must be in the very small minority here b/c I'm really unmoved by almost every one of the dunks in this compilation. Some of them were nice, but seriously with the Vince Carter comparisons here? Squatting is celebrating? No contest, IMO. My memories of Kemp's dunk game are much better than what I see in this video ...

Here's how you celebrate an epic dunk (my dog agrees) ... he murdered a frog and still found time to shake the blood from his leg ...

I agree. Kemp was certainly an effortless dunker, but amongst power forwards, I think Griffin and Amare are easily more impressive dunkers. Vince is the cream of the crop when it comes to dunking though.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
the association wrote:

I agree. Kemp was certainly an effortless dunker, but amongst power forwards, I think Griffin and Amare are easily more impressive dunkers. Vince is the cream of the crop when it comes to dunking though.

The distinctive thing about Kemp was he was a pretty good ball handler and runner for a near 7-footer, so he could take the ball coast to coast.. But his dunks weren't particularly artistic; always struck me as a basic power dunker with good athleticism.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
the association wrote:

The distinctive thing about Kemp was he was a pretty good ball handler and runner for a near 7-footer, so he could take the ball coast to coast.. But his dunks weren't particularly artistic; always struck me as a basic power dunker with good athleticism.

i agree with your first bit, to expand on it...he was VERY fast with good ball handling skills. for example, i think he has more ball handling control at top speed than guys like lebron and harden and westbrook. and he's bigger than all of them.

i really think kemp is being taken for granted here, as usual. he was far more special than griffin as a basketball player.

it's not the artistry, it's his ferocious power. basic power dunker? where do you guys get these ideas? where is this magical league where the basic dunk looks like what kemp is doing? it waasn't the 90s, and it isn't now. it's not true.

vc has amazing dunks, the best. but give him the added size and power of kemp, kemp was dunking all the time. like i said, he'll have like 5 dunks in one game compared to VC's one or two dunks. maybe vc's one dunk is super badass, like a 45-50, but kemp will have like 5 dunks that are 40-45.

there are very very very few guys that dunked like kemp. shaq is one. drob is another. npz listed a few. barkley was good, but he was way more well rounded than kemp, so his dunks were great, but not nearly as much as kemp.

actually npz...if you will, please write a little something to describe more accurately why kemp is NOT griffin and why he stood out in the 90s.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
activeverb wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
the association wrote:

i agree with your first bit, to expand on it...he was VERY fast with good ball handling skills. for example, i think he has more ball handling control at top speed than guys like lebron and harden and westbrook. and he's bigger than all of them.

i really think kemp is being taken for granted here, as usual. he was far more special than griffin as a basketball player.

it's not the artistry, it's his ferocious power. basic power dunker? where do you guys get these ideas? where is this magical league where the basic dunk looks like what kemp is doing? it waasn't the 90s, and it isn't now. it's not true.

vc has amazing dunks, the best. but give him the added size and power of kemp, kemp was dunking all the time. like i said, he'll have like 5 dunks in one game compared to VC's one or two dunks. maybe vc's one dunk is super badass, like a 45-50, but kemp will have like 5 dunks that are 40-45.

there are very very very few guys that dunked like kemp. shaq is one. drob is another. npz listed a few. barkley was good, but he was way more well rounded than kemp, so his dunks were great, but not nearly as much as kemp.

actually npz...if you will, please write a little something to describe more accurately why kemp is NOT

griffin and why he stood out in the 90s.

I watched kemp a lot in the 90s. I even had him on a fantasy basketball team during one of his best seasons. Like I said, he was a very good player for about three seasons before he self imploded, but there is a reason he never made a single all-nba first team, and there's a reason he's not close to making the Hall of Fame. Personally, I would rank him below blake Griffin, and about on par with Amar'e Stoudemire
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: