Would the Lakers return to contention if they replaced Stu Lantz?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

The other teams annoucers are a lot worse than Billy and Stu.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Stu should've been fired 15 years ago. Dude sucks
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Depends on how Stu's "mo'" is going. No one defeats father time…
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
Hell no. Stuey is the best thing the Lakers have got going for them right now.

No it's not.

Quiet you.

Never change Dladi!

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Eh, I turn down the TV and just listen to Ireland and Thompson.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Hi Stu. Hi Lance.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:

lol
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:

Also, record wise, hope we don't meet Mr. Floor.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

C'mon guy let's be NOICE!
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
He says 'retire already', he answers 'no way', aaaaannnnd that won't get it done on the Lakers. Basketball. Network.

*chuckles* Mr. K2, Mr. K2, Mr. K2. What have you got for me next?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

This.

I've always been partial to Stu because of his ties to Chick and because I met him at the big man camp when I was a kid and he was super cool to me and my little brother.

We snuck past a security rope and ran him down when he was trying to leave and he spent a good while chatting with us, signing stuff and answering dumb questions.

I'll never forget the shock of hearing his voice in person - "...and how are you fellas doin' today?" He could've worked in "...on the Lakers...basketball...network" and it would've been seamless. Totally mind-blowing for a 13-year-old kid.

Then a few years ago I got league pass and started listening to what the other teams were rolling out their for colors guys and I realized Stu is actually pretty good too, beyond the nostalgia factor. Most color guys are closer that the idiot hype-man the Clippers have next to Lawler than they are to Stu. I'm grateful we still have Stu... on the Lakers basketball network.

Last edited by VegasLakerFan on Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject:

Stu's Stuisms are repetitive after years of listening to them, but he still makes for a better broadcast than most local guys.

Seriously, go listen to the broadcast in Toronto if you want to hear straight garbage commentary.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject:

I miss Paul Sutherland <3
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

Stu is cranky and jaded and seems like he doesn't even want to be there. I bet he rips some mean grampa farts in the booth during commercial breaks. Just a grumpy old man who sees his job as a chore. Can't wait until he's replaced.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

I don't mind Stu. He's a reminder of the old Laker broadcast charm.

I'd prefer to see BMac replaced by someone with a better voice if it were up to me
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

Since Chick passed, Stu has been a annoying to listen to with Paul Sunderland, Joel Myers, etc.

Plenty of times he'd almost attack Joel even when Joel was making simple statements. Joel didn't deserve that, even if you felt he wasn't a great analyst.

Stu knows his stuff. His knowledge of the game is second to none. But that doesn't automatically make him a good color guy. But he's been doing it for so long, so people think he's amazing because of his knowledge.

Looking forward to when he steps down. When you listen to a game, you want both the color and the main analyst to have some type of chemistry.

And people are going to blame Sunderland, or blame Joel Myers for the lack of chemistry, but I think Stu's grumpy and jaded nature is what sabotages any good relationship he can have with any analyst.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

No, but if they cancelled backstage they might...
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Be NOOIICE to Uncle Stu from the Lakers Basketball Network.
The Nightbringer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

I won't lie that I think Stu's best days are behind him. He seemed so much happier with Chick and the two of them played off of each other REALLY well (Especially when Chick was being goofy and Stu had to be the straightman)

Of course age is a factor, and when the Lakers are doing well enough to excite him, some of that old fire comes back. I think the biggest issue we have is a lack of any true play-by-play announcers. The closest we had after Chick passed were Paul and Joel.

Regarding Joel: I actually had a chance to speak to him over the phone when I called into the NBA XM station last year and told him how much we miss him as commentator! He said he appreciated it but that he's really happy with the Pelicans.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

I like Stu and Billy together.

Stu is just funny . I find it hilarious when he tells the refs to hurry up so he can go home. He's also as unbiased as it gets compared to other announcers around the league. He's the OG and I have to respect that.

I like Billy's enthusiasm. You can tell he knows how lucky he is to have the job and how appreciative he is to sitting there. Yea he can be corny at times, but he's himself and I find that to be enjoyable. There's no act with him. You can also tell how much he loves the Lakers.

The two also have good chemistry, since Billy doesn't take himself too seriously and can always take a joke.

Honestly, they are some of the best announcers around the league. I would probably appreciate more GT like breakdowns incorporated within their telecast (advanced stats, breakdown of plays). The Wolves announcers do this well.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

The Nightbringer wrote:
I won't lie that I think Stu's best days are behind him. He seemed so much happier with Chick and the two of them played off of each other REALLY well (Especially when Chick was being goofy and Stu had to be the straightman)

Of course age is a factor, and when the Lakers are doing well enough to excite him, some of that old fire comes back. I think the biggest issue we have is a lack of any true play-by-play announcers. The closest we had after Chick passed were Paul and Joel.

Regarding Joel: I actually had a chance to speak to him over the phone when I called into the NBA XM station last year and told him how much we miss him as commentator! He said he appreciated it but that he's really happy with the Pelicans.

He sounds a lot happier too. I have to believe that Stu's constant bickering made the job a chore for him after a while.
supermegamen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

replace Big Mac with Slava.

sign smush as courtside reporter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
He says 'retire already', he answers 'no way', aaaaannnnd that won't get it done on the Lakers. Basketball. Network.

That's hilarious. He always ends the commercial breaks and segment transitions that way. Every single time:

"Welp, D'Angelo could've taken the layup himself but elected to give it up to Julius instead. He says, 'Here, Julius. I like the way you finish a lot better.' And Julius says, 'Why thank you, D'Angelo. Yeah, I like the way I finish...as....well.' And just like that, the Lakers have cut that 10 point lead....down....to six.'

Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
I like Stu and Billy together.

Stu is just funny . I find it hilarious when he tells the refs to hurry up so he can go home. He's also as unbiased as it gets compared to other announcers around the league. He's the OG and I have to respect that.

I like Billy's enthusiasm. You can tell he knows how lucky he is to have the job and how appreciative he is to sitting there. Yea he can be corny at times, but he's himself and I find that to be enjoyable. There's no act with him. You can also tell how much he loves the Lakers.

The two also have good chemistry, since Billy doesn't take himself too seriously and can always take a joke.

Honestly, they are some of the best announcers around the league. I would probably appreciate more GT like breakdowns incorporated within their telecast (advanced stats, breakdown of plays). The Wolves announcers do this well.

I think that's what I like the most about he and Billy Mac. Listening to other team's announcers is always a nightmare because of how biased they are. It's like they're fearful of ever criticizing their team and giving any praise at all to the opponent. It's disgusting. Billy Mac and Stu aren't like that at all. If an individual player or the team as a whole makes a bad play or gets away with a foul or turnover that the refs miss, they say it. Their objectiveness when they call games makes up 90% of why I actually enjoy them as a tandem for the most part.

Many have said that they lack chemistry, but I don't necessarily think so. It's just that Stu, for whatever reason, seems to get off on bursting Billy Mac's bubble:

Billy Mac: What a beautiful dish that time by D'Angelo.

Stu: Just basic basketball.

Or Billy Mac will talk about something in particular and invite Stu to jump in, but Stu just blatantly ignores him and talks about something else lol. I really don't get it. But on those super rare occasions where Stu isn't acting grumpy and cold and actually plays off off of Billy Mac, their chemistry is pretty good.

But Stu definitely knows the game, especially the fundamentals and little details of the game. He's one of those guys you always seem to learn new things from no matter how many times you listen to him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: