Kenyon Martin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject:

By 2008, Kobe and Kenyon will be taking the majority of the salary. Is Kenyon really fit as a number 2 player option?...
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject:

KMart is a risk based on injury history and salary - but he has NBA Finals experience and could be an interesting choice.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:
Give me KMart over LO.

First of all, Kenyon makes less than Odom so let’s not call Kenyon over paid unless you believe Odom is over paid. Second of all, KMart plays with heart, passion and intensity. Everything LO lacks. KMart is a beast on defense, can score in the post and bangs the boards just as hard as LO.

Trade LO ($11.4) and George ($5) for KMart ($10.9) and Earl Watson ($5).

Watson / Parker / Sasha
Kobe / McKie / Wafer
Kenyon / Walton / Green
Kwame / Cook / Turiaf
Mihm / Bynum / (forgot @ Slava)

Instant defense!

F’k the 2007 plan. According to emplay, Kwame’s 3rd year is now guaranteed so it sounds like it’s already scrapped.

Except um...

Lamar = On the books past 2007 summer.
George = Off the books by 2007 summer.

Total space taken in 2007 summer: $11.4M

KMart = On the books past 2007 summer.
Watson = On the books past 2007 summer.

Total space taken in 2007 summer: $15.9M

Instant cap-space death!
(less available than required for max-contract anyhow)

Is swapping LO/DG for KMart/Watson worth that?

I think not.

Page bump!
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject:

i have liked k-mart since his days at cincy. he contract isn't favorable but he is just the enforcer we need. he has HEART! i know because he points to it after every dunk i was able to get his autograph before last years home opener. i was amazed how big he was since he is onsidered an undersized PF(really ripped)
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject:

For what it's worth I've always like K-Mart too, and for alot of those same reasons.

Gotta love players like K-Mart (and Kobe for instance) who play with alot of fire on any given night.

Nonetheless, I just don't think he's the piece to get the job done if it
means scrapping the max-contract space.

Maybe somewhere in the back of my head I'm still holding out hope for Bosh
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject:

about k-mart, the lakers would have to babysit him media wise, cuz he is just not smart. anyway
the pros
he doesn't avg a lot of rebounds, but he has the abailty to go and grab them if commanded to. if phil tells him, go to the boards he can do it.

he has shut down D. i remember when he was with the nets, he completely shut down JO, i mean completely. he might not be that good against duncan, but still

and the biggest pro of all. it won't cost odom, and hopefully not mihm or brown. he can hit an outside shot, and he would be our best low post player (kobe is mid post), meaning we would finally have someone else who we can go to. odom would play well with someone with that athletic abillity.

cons
getting max money when he isn't a max player. he is getting 14 and 6. he is playing with the top rebounder in the league, so that could hurt him. when he was the main big with NJ he got about 9-10 boards a game.

ill be happy with the trade, he would just have to be smarter with how he and his people handel things

as always go lakers!!!
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:

For those of you trying to piece together K-Mart trade scenarios, you should probably just ignore LO -- the Lakers aren't interested in moving him.

As for K-Mart's negatives, let me put it this way -- a talented basketball player who didn't have negatives wouldn't be available. Or at least, not for what the Lakers have to offer. Given the pieces the Lakers have to make a deal, they need to be shopping at fire sales, not Sak's Fifth Avenue.

But that doesn't mean you can't be choosy about which risks you think are acceptable risks. In Martin's case, his knee injury wasn't all that serious (he ain't Danny Manning), but he doesn't seen to be 100% recovered. He had a big (showcase) game last night, but could he turn around and do that again in a back-to-back?

Second risk is his personality/attitude. He's no Rodman or Rider, but he's no Duncan, either.

Third is his contract. He still has about $83 million left on his current contract, and a lot of years. If the Lakers pick him up, then they lose their flexibility for a long time. And that's probably IT as far as major acquisitions are concerned. Any more players are going to have to be MLE-type signings for the next few years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:

Don't think this deal would happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:
Give me KMart over LO.

First of all, Kenyon makes less than Odom so let’s not call Kenyon over paid unless you believe Odom is over paid. Second of all, KMart plays with heart, passion and intensity. Everything LO lacks. KMart is a beast on defense, can score in the post and bangs the boards just as hard as LO.

Watson / Parker / Sasha
Kobe / McKie / Wafer
Kenyon / Walton / Green
Kwame / Cook / Turiaf

Instant defense!

F’k the 2007 plan. According to emplay, Kwame’s 3rd year is now guaranteed so it sounds like it’s already scrapped.

Except um...

Instant cap-space death!

I think not.

Have you not heard, the 2007 Salary Cap Plan is finished now that Kwame's 3rd year is guaranteed?

George is gone after this year. Use George's expiring contract to get a defensive minded point guard, such as Watson, who can stay with point guards such as Tony Parker and Steve Nash. Kenyon instantly makes the Lakers a better defensive team as well. Add these two players with Kobe Bryant, the Lakers have a core of superior defenders who can also score at any time.

Worry about signing Bynum with the available cap money and adding role players. This team is far better than Kobe, Odom, Kwame, Bynum and approximately $8 million cap money for someone who may not be available in two years.

Quote:
LA HOOPS: The 2007 Plan Is Dead?

By Eric Pincus
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Feb 10, 2006, 01:23

This summer, the Lakers traded Caron Butler and Chucky Atkins to the Washington Wizards for Kwame Brown. The deal was a sign and trade which had Brown's contract guaranteed for two seasons. The third season was originally $9.075 million in non-guaranteed money at the Lakers' discretion, thus fitting into the 2007 plan.

BUT

After a number of inquiries to sources within and around the NBA, the Lakers have already GUARANTEED Brown's third year.

Why would they do so? The answer can only be speculative, but whatever the reason may be the 2007 plan is now defunct.

Unless the Lakers are able to clear Kwame Brown's contract off their books before then, the Lakers will have nearly $45 million in guaranteed salaries heading into the summer of 2007 with just Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum and Brown on the roster. A reasonable projection is that the salary cap in 2007 will be near $53 million dollars, but with the complex rules of the collective bargaining agreement, the Lakers will have no more to offer than that summer's mid-level exception. In other words, the waiting will have been for nothing.
FerrisVille
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject:

I would love to have KMart here, he would bring that killer instinct we need on the boards and defensively, and players dont want to mess with that dude, I wonder how many times Kobe would get hammered if we landed him.
FerrisVille
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
KMart is a risk based on injury history and salary - but he has NBA Finals experience and could be an interesting choice.
Emplay I agree, this is the only thing that I am worried about, his injurie trail goes all the way back to Cincinatti.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:

Kmart
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject:

I want to try to be as cryptic as possible so... my sources are telling me that tonight they will be watching "Crocodile Done Deal". A cinematic classic.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:

Here's what we need to do.

Jimmy Buss needs to talk to Kiki and offer him a GM position next year.
That way Kiki and Buss can make a one sided deal into Lakers favor.
Next year when Kiki takes over, he"ll have a better team to work with.

Am I a genius or what?
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

Lakers trade:
F/C Kwame Brown
G/F Deaven George
F Luke Walton
2006 1st Round Draft Pick
2008 1st Round Draft Pick
Cash

Nuggets trade:
F/C Kenyon Martin
G/F DeMarr Johnson
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

adding k-mart
we would then a very very solid pf for the future, and a guy that is not soft.
with bynum coming into his own, we can have him starting with k-mart next year. meaning we can bring someone like brown off the bench and not lose a step defensivly. we would have 3 solid bigs to throw at people. we would have great shot blocking at 2 spots with k-mart and bynum.

more importantly this will help brown, by going against someone as talented and aggrisive as keynon everyday at practice.

k-mart is our number #2. he has a low post game, and can hit the outside shot. and the man is strong. he adds another person that can finish, and he is not timid to shoot the ball either.

all we would need is a shooter.

we could have
bynum/brown
k-mart/ronny or cook
odom/ ? i don't want luke
kobe/ bring back profit
parker/ sasha

we would need a shooter. we have the MLE to throw at a shooter, since the cap plan is gone
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:

also the reason why waiting for the cap plan is wrong, is that we would have to wait for a UFA. name one star player who gave up the chance to sign a long term deal for a one year deal?
amare is gone, yao is gone. toronto just made a lot of cap space to bring in 1 or 2 very good players next year to go along with their young guys. lebron has a solid team in cleveland.

the type of talent we would be able to get is guys like joe johnson, and we would ahev to over-pay. and it is very difficult to get that in a big.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

PG Smush Parker
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Lamar Odom
PF Kenyon Martin
C Chris Mihm

Contenders.

Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject:

Why would Denver trade with the Lakers at this point? The two teams could end up playing each other in the 1st round of the playoffs. I'd like to see Kiki explain that one to the Nug fans - "Yeah, Kobe plus Kmart may have knocked us out of the first round, but... but look at the cap space were gaining" :roll:
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject:

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/dermarrjohnson.htm

thats one guy I want from Denver
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
Why would Denver trade with the Lakers at this point? The two teams could end up playing each other in the 1st round of the playoffs. I'd like to see Kiki explain that one to the Nug fans - "Yeah, Kobe plus Kmart may have knocked us out of the first round, but... but look at the cap space were gaining" :roll:

they need to rid themselves of K-mart
they offered him to the bull s for TT
to the nicks for penny

they want to resign Nene, and melo.
melo is getting max, nene is going to get around 8 mil a year

so they have melo and k-mart getting max money? k-mart is getting over payed. if they keep kmart and resign nene, they are in Lux tax.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
to the nicks for penny

are you serious?

where did you read that?
Crazy LA Fan14
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:
Give me KMart over LO.

Watson / Parker / Sasha
Kobe / McKie / Wafer
Kenyon / Walton / Green
Kwame / Cook / Turiaf

Instant defense!

Except um...

Instant cap-space death!

I think not.

I would do it.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject:

If I was Jerry Buss,I would not want to be paying a 34 year old 16.5 million in the last year of his deal
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:

kobe2mike wrote:
Quote:
to the nicks for penny

are you serious?

where did you read that?

i know for sure he was offered to both teams and there was a report that denver is looking for cap relif. those players give them that.

to the bulls it was most likely for TT and ben, or a first. no reason the bull would want that kind of salary.
who else is on the knicks roster worth trading? no way, the want marbuary, or curry. no one on that team makes reasonable money.

with this trade denver gets a very solid center at a great price in mihm, and also losses a big contract.

what other team needs a PF, and can offer what we can? the knicks don't want to give up frye and over pay for a PF. the rockets can only offer exp deals. most teams wouldn't over pay for k-mart and give up a solid big. the lakers can afford to give up mihm because bynum will be ready in a year or 2.

this way they can keep nene and get something for k-mart.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: