eltonjohn
63%
 63%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 30

fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject:

An alternate question would be: Rocket Man vs. Piano Man.

It's close, but I would go with Piano Man.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
An alternate question would be: Rocket Man vs. Piano Man.

It's close, but I would go with Piano Man.

Captain Fantastic or Captain Jack?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Billy Squire vs Billy Idol vs Billy Joel

vs Billy Mac

I got Billy Joel on this one. I've actually given thought a time or two about never caring much for Elton's voice or work. When I hear Rocket Man come onto the radio while driving, I turn it. I don't think he's a hack by any means and I do "get" why he's so liked, but not my cup of coffee.

Not a huge fan of Joel, but I like his 80s stuff. He can be a little fluffy, but he's a talented lyricist just the same, imo. He can take a song like Easy Money and give it mad verses, yo, and not just turn an otherwise campy song into a pop hook that is repeated 800 times. I like the movie Easy Money, too, so that helps.

Off top of my head in about 5 or so mins. I'd be "Pressured" to list that many for Elton, complete opposite from the poster Wilton.

Piano Man
She's Got A Way (that's a pretty song, can't front)
My Life (keep it to yourself)
Easy Money
Big Shot
Just The Way You Are
Pressure (that's a good one, true to life lyrics)
Uptown Girl
The Longest Time (love that'n)
Tell Her About It
We Didn't Start The Fire (the updated version would replace Bernie Goetz with Bernie Sanders)
Only Human (I like this one, underrated, another of his "truer words" lyrical messages)

Billy Squier is the one who tried to sound like an 80s Robert Plant. People would call up rock stations for that Plant song that was actually "In The Dark" by Squier. That was actually a better song than the sh Plant was doing in the 80s ("Sea Of Love", Honeydrippers)

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Billy Joel is better than Elton John but I don't listen to either much. I prefer Billy Idol.

That's Idol's best piece and his best music video, not just because of the booties either. That song feels fairly undated to me. I think that could be a contemporary hit. Otoh, when I hear Rebel Yell or White Wedding, it feels like 1982/3 in my dome. Easily two of the most evocative songs from that era for me for some reason, moreso than most others...lest we're talkin bout some sh like Eye Of The Tiger, but that's a lot more obvious.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Billy Squire vs Billy Idol vs Billy Joel

vs Billy Mac

I got Billy Joel on this one. I've actually given thought a time or two about never caring much for Elton's voice or work. When I hear Rocket Man come onto the radio while driving, I turn it. I don't think he's a hack by any means and I do "get" why he's so liked, but not my cup of coffee.

Not a huge fan of Joel, but I like his 80s stuff. He can be a little fluffy, but he's a talented lyricist just the same, imo. He can take a song like Easy Money and give it mad verses, yo, and not just turn an otherwise campy song into a pop hook that is repeated 800 times. I like the movie Easy Money, too, so that helps.

Off top of my head in about 5 or so mins. I'd be "Pressured" to list that many for Elton, complete opposite from the poster Wilton.

Piano Man
She's Got A Way (that's a pretty song, can't front)
My Life (keep it to yourself)
Easy Money
Big Shot
Just The Way You Are
Pressure (that's a good one, true to life lyrics)
Uptown Girl
The Longest Time (love that'n)
Tell Her About It
We Didn't Start The Fire (the updated version would replace Bernie Goetz with Bernie Sanders)
Only Human (I like this one, underrated, another of his "truer words" lyrical messages)

Billy Squier is the one who tried to sound like an 80s Robert Plant. People would call up rock stations for that Plant song that was actually "In The Dark" by Squier. That was actually a better song than the sh Plant was doing in the 80s ("Sea Of Love", Honeydrippers)

Essential Billy Joel lists should also have the following three (among others), IMO ...

Goodnight Saigon:

Say Goodbye to Hollywood:

You May be Right:
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

I find them both too schmaltzy, but Elton John might win by a nose due to his early work. That being said, Piano Man is a guilty pleasure.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
To be fair, there's really only one or two songs worth of material about Houston...

Really? Never heard one, unless you count the old Dean Martin song.

Houston has a wealth of rap/hip-hop songs dedicated to it. ZZ Top sings about the general vicinity, as do a slew of country and rock musicians (Joe Ely, Steve Earl, Hayes Carll...)
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
To be fair, there's really only one or two songs worth of material about Houston...

Houston has a wealth of rap/hip-hop songs dedicated to it. ZZ Top sings about the general vicinity, as do a slew of country and rock musicians (Joe Ely, Steve Earl, Hayes Carll...)

Well, I'll just have to take your word for it about the rap songs. I don't remember ZZ Top doing any songs about Houston, though they're from here. I don't remember any Houston songs by Beyoncé or Destiny's Child, either.

Anyway, that was just a snarky response to 24's snarky comment. I wouldn't expect there to be a bunch of songs about Houston. There aren't a bunch of songs about Dallas, or Phoenix, or Atlanta, or Charlotte. Why would there be?

I was making a different point. Billy Joel wrote a lot of songs about life in New York. This was obvious in songs like Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, but there are ethnic/regional undertones in songs like Piano Man, Uptown Girl, and Only the Good Die Young. I don't relate to it, just as I don't relate to Woody Allen movies.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Well, I'll just have to take your word for it about the rap songs. I don't remember ZZ Top doing any songs about Houston, though they're from here. I don't remember any Houston songs by Beyoncé or Destiny's Child, either.

Anyway, that was just a snarky response to 24's snarky comment. I wouldn't expect there to be a bunch of songs about Houston. There aren't a bunch of songs about Dallas, or Phoenix, or Atlanta, or Charlotte. Why would there be?

I was making a different point. Billy Joel wrote a lot of songs about life in New York. This was obvious in songs like Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, but there are ethnic/regional undertones in songs like Piano Man, Uptown Girl, and Only the Good Die Young. I don't relate to it, just as I don't relate to Woody Allen movies.

Everyone likes what they like but do you only like stuff you can directly relate to? I guess I didn't really associate Joel with New York until you said it, and I think you're correct that there's a NY sensibility in a lot of his songs. Just seems like it wouldn't be much of an issue unless you're listening to New York State of Mind, which to my knowledge is his only song exclusively and specifically about loving New York. I mean I connect with a lot of French and Italian films and I've never been to France or Italy.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Everyone likes what they like but do you only like stuff you can directly relate to? I guess I didn't really associate Joel with New York until you said it, and I think you're correct that there's a NY sensibility in a lot of his songs. Just seems like it wouldn't be much of an issue unless you're listening to New York State of Mind, which to my knowledge is his only song exclusively and specifically about loving New York. I mean I connect with a lot of French and Italian films and I've never been to France or Italy.

Oh, I generally like Billy Joel's stuff. I generally like Springsteen's stuff, too, though I don't relate to the New Jersey vibe. What I'm talking about is relevant only when we compare them to other artists. Even though EJ is English, I can relate to his music a lot more.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

Billy Joel.

John's best 5 stand toe-to-toe with Joel's. But if I was to shuffle a top 25 list, I would probably finish Joel's but John's would be switched off after about 3 songs.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:

Oh, I generally like Billy Joel's stuff. I generally like Springsteen's stuff, too, though I don't relate to the New Jersey vibe. What I'm talking about is relevant only when we compare them to other artists. Even though EJ is English, I can relate to his music a lot more.

Fair enough.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

Although I do believe it's a close race, the Billy Joel inspired episode of Freaks and Geeks should be enough to put him over the top.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

[quote="the association"

Say Goodbye to Hollywood:

You May be Right:

These are my 2 favorite Joel songs.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

^^^ ...

The videos from that St. Petersburg show in '87 make one thing quite clear: Reagan didn't bring down the Iron Curtain; Billy Joel did ...
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:

Fair enough.

I won't deny that Springsteen is synonymous with New Jersey, but really outside of his first two albums, his songs speak more to the American experience than specifically to NJ.

But frankly, the fact that I don't relate to some form of art is usually a source of learning for me. I never visited New York until I was in my mid-20's, but I felt some comfort level from my experience watching films and listening to artists like Lou Reed, The Ramones and Beastie Boys. That's a limited scope, sure, but it was an entry point for me at least.

Places like NYC and LA are unique in that they have an effect on artists and they seem to adopt that "sound". I think New Orleans has a similar effect. Everything else kind of gets lumped together by region.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
I like them both but I have to say I appreciate Joel's lyrics more.

That is where I fall, some of Joel's lyrics are very meaningful. Though far from his biggest hit, A Matter of Trust is probably my favorite. For Elton it is tougher, my favorite might be Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and probably because it reminds me a lot of where I grew up. As far as I know Joel wrote his own songs while many of Eltons' great songs were co-written with Bernie Taupin.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Freddy Mercury and MJ
Top 2 all time for me
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
^^^ ...

The videos from that St. Petersburg show in '87 make one thing quite clear: Reagan didn't bring down the Iron Curtain; Billy Joel did ...

Nobody rocked the faded blue jeans with oversized sports coat better than him. Maybe Jerry Seinfeld.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Freddie was without peers.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Gotta go with EJ on this one. Just because I've listened to a lot more of his work.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I won't deny that Springsteen is synonymous with New Jersey, but really outside of his first two albums, his songs speak more to the American experience than specifically to NJ.

But frankly, the fact that I don't relate to some form of art is usually a source of learning for me. I never visited New York until I was in my mid-20's, but I felt some comfort level from my experience watching films and listening to artists like Lou Reed, The Ramones and Beastie Boys. That's a limited scope, sure, but it was an entry point for me at least.

Places like NYC and LA are unique in that they have an effect on artists and they seem to adopt that "sound". I think New Orleans has a similar effect. Everything else kind of gets lumped together by region.

I agree. I don't mean to come off as someone who listens to only one kind of music. I loved Lou Reed's album New York. I love Simon & Garfunkel, though I never liked Paul Simon's solo stuff as much. I owned a vinyl copy of Billy Joel's The Stranger and whatever album had Captain Jack. I like music with ideas and perspectives. I'm a fan of The Clash, The Band, and The Kinks from the the Village Green Preservation Society era.

Just the same, there is a Billy Joel channel on Sirius XM. I never feel moved the listen to it. If there was an Elton John channel, I'd probably check it out. That's where I'm coming from.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: