Official Kwame hate thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
psydesho wrote:
He isn't terrible or Phil would have him on the bench all the time.

What he doesn't get is on the offensive end, it's not if you are making shots all time. Sometimes you get pulled because of either your shot selection or turning it over.

He has been turning the ball over on offense. I've never seen Phil pull him for taking that 15ft jumper. Only when he fumbles the ball out of bounds or misses lay up.

Big difference.

True and, I hope Phil read these articles and, invited kwame over to dinner to explain to him the errors in his thinking..

I actually do hope Phil invites Kwame for another heart to heart.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject:

He was a project when we got him, and he's a project now. A project does not become a double-double guy in a matter of months. I certainly understand the frustration we as fans have with this guy though.

I don't even get angry when he airballs a layup anymore, it makes me laugh. I honestly find it funny that a 7 foot, 280 lb center can consistently airball layups.

I just have a feeling that one of these days it will start to click for him. You can just see that his mind is thinking of a million different things at once everytime he touches the ball. If he ever learns to just settle down and take his time, he'll become that double-double player we know he can be. Maybe he needs to do some zen meditations to calm himself down. Only he knows what he needs to do.

In the meantime, it's not as if he's just wasting space. His post defense has been a big reason our defense jumped from 29th to top 15 this season. Phil would be the other major reason.

We'll see. I know it's frustrating watching him, but perhaps some people's expectations were a bit too high. I predicted he'd average 11/7 this season, and I thought I was being conservative at the time. We just have to take him for what he is, a project big man whose ceiling as an NBA player is a solid role player, not an all-star or even a star.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
He was a project when we got him, and he's a project now. A project does not become a double-double guy in a matter of months. I certainly understand the frustration we as fans have with this guy though.

I don't even get angry when he airballs a layup anymore, it makes me laugh. I honestly find it funny that a 7 foot, 280 lb center can consistently airball layups.

I just have a feeling that one of these days it will start to click for him. You can just see that his mind is thinking of a million different things at once everytime he touches the ball. If he ever learns to just settle down and take his time, he'll become that double-double player we know he can be. Maybe he needs to do some zen meditations to calm himself down. Only he knows what he needs to do.

In the meantime, it's not as if he's just wasting space. His post defense has been a big reason our defense jumped from 29th to top 15 this season. Phil would be the other major reason.

We'll see. I know it's frustrating watching him, but perhaps some people's expectations were a bit too high. I predicted he'd average 11/7 this season, and I thought I was being conservative at the time. We just have to take him for what he is, a project big man whose ceiling as an NBA player is a solid role player, not an all-star or even a star.

Excellent post, I agree with you but I think the coaching staff really has to take the guy by the hand and help fix his mistakes. The laisez-faire attitude doesn't work with all players. They have to be more hands on with him.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
DUNK THE BALL

every time someone has a conversation with this guy it should begin and end with "DUNK THE BALL!"

Throw it down, Bigman, THROW IT DOWN!!
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Kwame should work out with Kobe on the offseason. Lets get Kwame YOKED!

I want to see him play like a supercharged maniac!

Phil should tell him we need him playing at twice the speed of everyone else on the floor, to learn to play like a rebounder thinking every shot is a miss to attack those rebounds!!!

Kwame should be judged solely by how many rebounds he puts in and his energy on the floor. If Kwame averages 8 boards a game, he's worth his contract.

He should also shoot 15 foot shots from around the basket to work on his free throw shooting and to develop a little mid range shot.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
psydesho wrote:
He isn't terrible or Phil would have him on the bench all the time.

What he doesn't get is on the offensive end, it's not if you are making shots all time. Sometimes you get pulled because of either your shot selection or turning it over.

He has been turning the ball over on offense. I've never seen Phil pull him for taking that 15ft jumper. Only when he fumbles the ball out of bounds or misses lay up.

Big difference.

True and, I hope Phil read these articles and, invited kwame over to dinner to explain to him the errors in his thinking..

Yes, and perhaps Phil should offer Kwame some warm milk and cookies too. :roll:

Eh? A coach is a teacher; and Kwame was brought in as a project, so it's the coach's responsibility to help him the best that he can. As if the correct approach is to just "throw him to the lions" and hope that he gets it-people learn at different paces.

^^ Farmar

eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
This boy is stupid

You're even stupidier for dissing somebody who's admitting failure and working to improve himself.

^^ Farmar

nesli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject:

eniq 0x00 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
This boy is stupid

You're even stupidier for dissing somebody who's admitting failure and working to improve himself.

I can't see it. He is the third highest paid player in this team.He is earning better than richardson,wade..etc. So what his offense is a joke and his help defense sucks.
Despite his terrible terrible offensive play he doesn't want to work with Kareem.
You're giving too much credit .He doesn't deserve this
OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Some old Kwame articles

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/recruiting/news/2000/07/10/brown_feature/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/recruiting/news/2000/07/04/brick_top100/
lakerfin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Aloha wrote:
Kwame has talent and can play...

* Consistently is the key, and the LAL need defense & rebbies...

He shooting at times is downright awful (Reminds me of a field goal kicker), not saying he cant develop it... But it's off...

His hands are soft--- I was seeing visions of Samaki-ism there...
(That is a scarey thought...)

He needs to control his game, which includes his temper...

I cringe when he shoots the ball from more than 3 feet. If he can just give a GOOD effort every night, it would make all the difference. Get some offensive boards and easy put backs. He played well in Houston against Yao, but have to disagree about the hands. They are like boards, not soft, but hard like wood. That's why the ball is always bouncing off them. Don't know how to fix that. Maybe soak them before each game.....
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject:

It felt weird reading it knowing he should have gone to college.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject:

I've heard so much about his impressive outside game and ball handling for a big man, but sure haven't seen it yet...

Maybe he's keeping this under wraps to keep his trade value down so that the Lakers won't trade him... if that mean he wants to stay a Laker, you've got to like his loyalty...

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kwame:"I don't know what I did so bad"

nesli wrote:

He still doesn't get it .He still doesn't want to accept how terrible he is.

I'm sorry, who was that 7'6" guy out there who barely cracked 40% because he couldn't establish inside position the way he usually does?

I wonder who guarded him.
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject:

kobesNBA wrote:
Quote:
"I don't know what I did so bad," Brown said. "But he's the coach, so you've got respect his word."

Thats what kind of scares me. If he doesn't know what he is doing wrong, then how can he improve?

He can start by not getting phantom fouls called on him that take his head (and eventually, his body) out of the game. Sounds easy enough, but those refs love their whistles. Maybe if the NBA issued some crappier whistles (perhaps ones with aged bite marks on 'em?) the officials would be more hesitant to blow. Yeah, I meant it both ways.
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject:

lakerfin wrote:

I cringe when he shoots the ball from more than 3 feet. If he can just give a GOOD effort every night, it would make all the difference. Get some offensive boards and easy put backs. He played well in Houston against Yao, but have to disagree about the hands. They are like boards, not soft, but hard like wood. That's why the ball is always bouncing off them. Don't know how to fix that. Maybe soak them before each game.....

Elden Campbell used to have pretty course hands as well, but he really managed to overcome them later in his career. If Kwame's post game in later years anything closely resembles Elden's the Lakers will be stacked. His defense is already better, and Elden (for all his faults) wasn't bad.
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

Age will help this. Kwame plays like a rookie, and given the condition of the borderline-NBA franchise in Washington, he really is. A little seasoning, not to mention another year in the triangle, will do him wonders.

He needs to continue to work on that 15 foot jumper, as well. If that starts working for him it makes him an easy target for Kobe (like Horace was for Michael) and it opens up lanes for him to use his unusual quickness.

Quote:

Finally. Someone watches the other end of the court.

Quote:

His ceiling is an unknown, IMO. I thought earlier that he simply lacked skill, but then he'll catch the ball and put a move on someone and you know "it" is there with him. He's more of a head-case (not the disruptive kind) than a bust. If he could get out of his own way he'd be great.
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject:

nesli wrote:
Despite his terrible terrible offensive play he doesn't want to work with Kareem.

In training camp he worked with Kareem extensively. In addition, Kareem was hired to work primarily with Andrew Bynum, not Kwame. Perhaps you should withhold judgement until the time comes that all the facts are known.
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
Here's the thing that disturbs me the most.

From the article:

Brown said his goal for the rest of the season is "to stay out there 30 minutes" per game, which might be difficult once Chris Mihm returns from injury given how well forward Brian Cook has played lately.

Ummm...

How about setting a goal to average 10 rebounds for the rest of the season?

What about setting a goal to average 2 blocks?

Wouldn't staying out on the floor longer help with both of these? Would not his increased minutes be an obvious indication of better production? Maybe he's focused not on his box scores, but on contributing more to the team by staying on the court longer.

Learn to read between the lines. It wouldn't kill you.
mitch&kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject:

WestCCa wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
There is no reason for him not to be averaging 10 and 10. Those aren't even high numbers. He can get that off of garbage points and being physical, just flat out hustling.

Agreed. Kwame should be a 10/8 player at the very minimum.

But he rarely did that.
mitch&kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
bambam wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Me? I think if you don't dominate offensively at the high school level, then you certainly aren't going to do so at the pro level.

didnt i read that bynum didnt dominate @ the highschool level also?

Yep...And neither did Olajawon. So it's a gamble. Sometimes gambles payoff, but it certainly isn't SURPRISING when they don't. That's why it's called gambling. Win some....Lose some.

I though Olajuwon didn't play HS ball. Didn't he go direct to the Univ. of Houston from Nigeria?

Don't mention olajuwon in kwame's thread. PLEASE !!!
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Kwame sux. He's not gotten any better since game 1, and now he's losing minutes to Cook. Lord help us.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Official Kwame hate thread

boo hoo hoo.
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Kwame hate thread

JD wrote:
boo hoo hoo.

Mitch Kupchak SUCKS!
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Kwame hate thread

DicksHutnick wrote:
JD wrote:
boo hoo hoo.

Mitch Kupchak SUCKS!

Oh my... profound apologies. I got lost, what with all these "Official [insert Laker] hate" threads.

Alright. Kwame SUX!!! lol!!!1
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:

raidawg87 wrote:
So thats why Kwame isn't given the ball more down low. Phil specifically told him not to shoot.
I think that could be why he blows so many layups, he's afraid to miss a shot because he knows that he'll pulled. So instead of taking his time he rushes it and misses the shot.

wow this sounds like high school. most guys will change their game due to the coaching. if the coach says "if you shoot, you better make it". most guys are sensitive and afraid to be pulled, more so afraid of sucking in general. so they do just that, DONT SHOOT, or when they do, its a Scary man's shot. wow kwame is back in high school. i dont know who to blame, phil or kwame.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: