Official Kwame hate thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

dude, Kwame... c'mon man seriously. There is no reason why you should not be averaging 10 rebounds a game. Elton Brand is twice the man you are and that should be motivation enough.

Get a clue, dawg!
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:

There is no reason for him not to be averaging 10 and 10. Those aren't even high numbers. He can get that off of garbage points and being physical, just flat out hustling.
Hatori Hanzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Kwame:"I don't know what I did so bad"

nesli wrote:
From LA Daily news:
Quote:
Rebounding: Jackson praised forward Kwame Brown for bouncing back from his scoreless game at Dallas by bodying up Yao Ming on Wednesday night in Houston and playing with the "aggression" sometimes missing.

Brown, who is averaging 5.8 points and 5.9 rebounds in his first season as a Laker, was asked afterward what he has to do the last 33 games to make it a success.

"Try to stay out there 30 minutes," Brown said. "I think the leash is a little bit tighter for me. I've just got to go out there and perform in the beginning of the game so I can stay out there 30-plus minutes a game instead of the normal 20."

He also has learned one rule - "If you take a shot, you better make it," he said - playing for Jackson. Brown has been shaky on anything other than a dunk at the offensive end.

From OC Register

Quote:
Jackson has been quick to criticize Brown
By KEVIN DING
The Orange County Register

If Lakers coach Phil Jackson is trying to eradicate the sense of entitlement from Kwame Brown, the top pick in the 2001 NBA draft and the Lakers' highest-paid player behind Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom, it's working.

"The leash is a little bit tighter for me," Brown said after the Lakers' victory in Houston on Wednesday.

Jackson's vision for Brown this season is to be an athletic interior defender in the tradition of Dennis Rodman and learn the offense. But Brown feels pressure to convert what offensive chances he takes.

"He (Jackson) wants me to run, rebound and defend," Brown said. "If you take a shot, you'd better make it. I know that much. I'm starting to understand that much."

Jackson criticized Brown publicly after Lakers losses Saturday and Tuesday, calling Brown's play Tuesday in Dallas "awful" and "terrible" after playing him 14 minutes.

"I don't know what I did so bad," Brown said. "But he's the coach, so you've got respect his word."

Brown said his goal for the rest of the season is "to stay out there 30 minutes" per game, which might be difficult once Chris Mihm returns from injury given how well forward Brian Cook has played lately.

Brown did come back Wednesday with good defense on Houston's Yao Ming. "I just knew he (Jackson) had to play me, because Yao was there," Brown said. "I was going to get the opportunity to play, so I shot shots. If I'd have shot those shots with somebody else out there besides Yao - and Chris was healthy - I'd be out of the ballgame. It's nothing I did different."

Jackson disagreed, praising Brown's defense and saying: "That's the kind of game he's got to play for us, a game that inspires the team."

He still doesn't get it .He still doesn't want to accept how terrible he is.

You read that article, and after that you posted it, ( thank you by the way) and that was all you could deduce from it. It clearly states here that what phil is doing is teaching him how to play the game right. For me, at the moment, he is clearly better than he was in Washington. Stats might not do him justice but he is doing exactly what the coach wants from him....run, rebound and defend. If he plays like this next year you flame him all you want but in my opinion he is doing what he is supposed to be doing...and that defending.
WestCCa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
There is no reason for him not to be averaging 10 and 10. Those aren't even high numbers. He can get that off of garbage points and being physical, just flat out hustling.

Agreed. Kwame should be a 10/8 player at the very minimum.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Kwame:"I don't know what I did so bad"

nesli wrote:
From LA Daily news:
Quote:

<snip>
"I don't know what I did so bad," Brown said. "But he's the coach, so you've got respect his word."
<snip>

WTH, this makes no sense at all.
Haven't Jackson, or one of the assistants, gone over game film with him to show him where he was messing up, and then show him what he did right ... ?????
If they did, he's even more clueless then I thought, he doesn't even know what the coaches are trying to teach him
If they didn't, shame on them! How is he expected to learn unless he's specifically shown wrong from right in actual game situations?
And lastly, *even* if the coaches haven't (yet) told him what he's doing wrong, WTF is he lamenting in the media that he doesn't know what he did wrong, why doesn't he simply walk up to one of coaches and just ask - doesn't he want to get better ?????

-ThePageDude

Last edited by ThePageDude on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Wow, this is pretty dissapointing and confirms that Kwame may be as clueless as we all thought he might be.

He really didn't know he played poorly in the Dallas game?? This means he can't tell the difference when he is just going through the motions and not having any impact on the game as opposed to when he actually does step up with a better effort like against Hou.

Also, he's also clueless as to his missing shots comment. Anyone who knows Phil's coaching style and has read his books, knows that Phil is not someone who will yank a player for missing shots - see Luke Walton; Sasha Vujacic. Phil specifically does this so players don't put more pressure on themselves to take and make shots.

Kwame is getting me more and more discouraged.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kwame:"I don't know what I did so bad"

Hatori Hanzo wrote:

You read that article, and after that you posted it, ( thank you by the way) and that was all you could deduce from it. It clearly states here that what phil is doing is teaching him how to play the game right. For me, at the moment, he is clearly better than he was in Washington. Stats might not do him justice but he is doing exactly what the coach wants from him....run, rebound and defend. If he plays like this next year you flame him all you want but in my opinion he is doing what he is supposed to be doing...and that defending.

I disagree. What I get out of this article is that Kwame just plain doesn't understand anything and refuses to take responsibility for his poor play.

How can he possibly say he didn't know what he did wrong in the Dallas? You can't tell me the coaching staff didn't point this out - not that they should have to. If he really wants some input he can read the threads here demanding his trade directly after that game. It just shows me that he's still a kid standing there refusing to acknowledge he needs major improvement. How long must we put up with this mental midget? His comments speak volumes about his mindset and it ain't positive.

As Nesli said above - he just doesn't get it.

Last edited by Socks on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:
He isn't terrible or Phil would have him on the bench all the time.

What he doesn't get is on the offensive end, it's not if you are making shots all time. Sometimes you get pulled because of either your shot selection or turning it over.

He has been turning the ball over on offense. I've never seen Phil pull him for taking that 15ft jumper. Only when he fumbles the ball out of bounds or misses lay up.

Big difference.

True and, I hope Phil read these articles and, invited kwame over to dinner to explain to him the errors in his thinking..
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Just a little off the subject, I'd love to see Kwame play like Ben Wallace, not like Rodman. Wallace has always been a great defender, but was a horrible offensive player, now he has a little game. But maybe PJ is just trying to light a fire under his a$$ and get Kwame playing hard all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
pawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Kwame:"I don't know what I did so bad"

Socks wrote:
Hatori Hanzo wrote:

I disagree. What I get out of this article is that Kwame just plain doesn't understand anything and refuses to take responsibility for his poor play.

How can he possibly say he didn't know what he did wrong in the Dallas? You can't tell me the coaching staff didn't point this out - not that they should have to. If he really wants some input he can read the threads here demanding his trade directly after that game. It just shows me that he's still a kid standing there refusing to acknowledge he needs major improvement. How long must we put up with this mental midget? His comments speak volumes about his mindset and it ain't positive.

As Nesli said above - he just doesn't get it.

bigtime cosign - some of you give kwame entirely too much credit for supposedly having a functional brain. The guy is clearly held back by his lack of smarts and his dainty psyche.. blah blah blah. kwame is merely suited to be a goon off the bench. go figure - we're paying him starter money.
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Honestly I like Kwame and I am still hoping he becomes the player we all thought he wa sgoing to be.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

That's our boy Kwame's problem.

All that size but still no idea what to do with it. He still doesn't understand that he needs trumendous help in learning the game and that he needs to bring an open mind.

I hope he atleast sticks with the defensive aggression.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
psydesho wrote:
He isn't terrible or Phil would have him on the bench all the time.

What he doesn't get is on the offensive end, it's not if you are making shots all time. Sometimes you get pulled because of either your shot selection or turning it over.

He has been turning the ball over on offense. I've never seen Phil pull him for taking that 15ft jumper. Only when he fumbles the ball out of bounds or misses lay up.

Big difference.

True and, I hope Phil read these articles and, invited kwame over to dinner to explain to him the errors in his thinking..

Yes, and perhaps Phil should offer Kwame some warm milk and cookies too. :roll:
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject:

He's coming along and I'm proud of him......we can officially say Kwame is Phil's "WHIPPING BOY" LOL!!!!!!!!
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Kwame:"I don't know what I did so bad"

Quote:
"I don't know what I did so bad," Brown said.

= meaning of the word "Kwamatose."
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Kwame did a solid job on Yao Ming. Kwame is only 23, so he can get better.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Here's the thing that disturbs me the most.

From the article:

Brown said his goal for the rest of the season is "to stay out there 30 minutes" per game, which might be difficult once Chris Mihm returns from injury given how well forward Brian Cook has played lately.

Ummm...

How about setting a goal to average 10 rebounds for the rest of the season?

What about setting a goal to average 2 blocks?

How about shooting at least 70% from the FT line?

No, Kwame just wants "to stay out there 30 minutes.

Hell, why not 35 minutes?

Very reminiscent of Lamar proclaiming that he was going to try to average 20 ppg - for four whole games.

Most people would like to shoot for the stars?

Kwame?

He's happy with the curb (and two more years of fat cheddar).
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Kwame has talent and can play...

* Consistently is the key, and the LAL need defense & rebbies...

He shooting at times is downright awful (Reminds me of a field goal kicker), not saying he cant develop it... But it's off...

His hands are soft--- I was seeing visions of Samaki-ism there...
(That is a scarey thought...)

He needs to control his game, which includes his temper...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
Here's the thing that disturbs me the most.

From the article:

Ummm...

How about setting a goal to average 10 rebounds for the rest of the season?

What about setting a goal to average 2 blocks?

How about shooting at least 70% from the FT line?

No, Kwame just wants "to stay out there 30 minutes.

Hell, why not 35 minutes?

Very reminiscent of Lamar proclaiming that he was going to try to average 20 ppg - for four whole games.

Most people would like to shoot for the stars?

Kwame?

He's happy with the curb (and two more years of fat cheddar).

Pure Kwame - shooting for the stars. It must make Kobe sick to have to play with this guy.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
don't know what I did so bad," Brown said

People this is clearly in reference to the fact that he doesn't get how he did anything much different than he's been doing all season in the Dallas game, to warrant Phil finally saying something harsh about it. The first line of the article where the author surmises the following :
Quote:
If Lakers coach Phil Jackson is trying to eradicate the sense of entitlement from Kwame Brown
is a clear indication that the tact Phil has been taking for the majority of the season had been to coddle Kwame and not critisize he publicly. Now all of a sudden Phil has changed tactics and Kwame is saying that he was surprised. Since the very same type of play had not warranted a public lashing from Phil prior, then why did things change all of a sudden. Kwames' simply admitting his surprise, and I find it a positive that he both responded with better play on the court AND by stating :
Quote:
But he's the coach, so you've got respect his word
It's an indicator that he's not just going to look to blame everyone else, but that he's actually willing to listen to the criticism. That's a good thing.

He goes on to say :
Quote:
his goal for the rest of the season is "to stay out there 30 minutes" per game
as he realizes that he's a slow starter and needs the MINUTES on the floor to be productive. And he follows with a fairly accurate estimation in saying :
Quote:
If I'd have shot those shots with somebody else out there besides Yao - and Chris was healthy - I'd be out of the ballgame. It's nothing I did different."
And that's true. It seems Kwame is recognising his shortcomings and also recognises that the pressure he's putting on himself is greatly affecting his offensive game. But it seems he's having a hard time removing that pressure because he's always in fear of getting yanked before he's had a chance to do something good - so he presses. I think we can all agree that's a fair estimation of what we witness from his actions on the court, he's always "pressing".

I think Phil calling him out in the media was a good move, and I think it will be a good move in the future as well - as long as he isn't chastised publicaly after EVERY poor performance. The next few games will be interesting to watch. My guess is that Kwame will put together 2 or three good games and then regress. I hope Phil holds a tight lip at that point and gives Kwame the chance to shake it off on his own and come out and play strong the following game. If Kwame puts up a second straight stinker at that point then definitely call him out on it publicly again. It's all basically babysitting, but it's unfortunately necessary in dealing with all the psyche issues Kwame has at this point.

I see hope in that article, because it displays Kwame is commited to both following instruction and getting better. He admits that he's finally getting a few things and that's a HUGE start. It's also a good indicator to all of us just how long of a road Kwame has to becoming a good player. As fans, we've two choices now. Support the fact that Kwame is embracing traveling that road, of chastising him for not already being farther along on the road. Fact is, for what ever reason, he is at an early point in that journey, and regardless of our opinion as to whether or not it's taking too long - one thing is for certain: He'll never arrive at the point we want him to be if we kick him off that road entirely. I see many positives out of those two articles. Lot's of hope....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject:

This boy is stupid
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
don't know what I did so bad," Brown said

People this is clearly in reference to the fact that he doesn't get how he did anything much different than he's been doing all season in the Dallas game, to warrant Phil finally saying something harsh about it. The first line of the article where the author surmises the following :
Quote:
If Lakers coach Phil Jackson is trying to eradicate the sense of entitlement from Kwame Brown
is a clear indication that the tact Phil has been taking for the majority of the season had been to coddle Kwame and not critisize he publicaly. Now all of a sudden Phil has changed tactics and Kwame is saying that he was surprised. Since the very same type of play had not warranted a public lashing from Phil prior, then why did things change all of a sudden. Kwame simply admitting his surprise, and I find it as a positive that he both responded with better play on te court AND by stating :
Quote:
But he's the coach, so you've got respect his word
It's an indicator that he's not just going to look to blame everyone else, but that he's actually willing to listen to the criticism. That's a good thing.

He goes on to say :
Quote:
his goal for the rest of the season is "to stay out there 30 minutes" per game
as he realizes that he's a slow starter and needs the MINUTES on te floor to be productive. And he follows with a fairly accurate estimation in saying :
Quote:
If I'd have shot those shots with somebody else out there besides Yao - and Chris was healthy - I'd be out of the ballgame. It's nothing I did different."
And that's true. It seems Kwame is recognising his shortcomings and also recognises that the pressure he's putting on himself is greatly affecting his offensive game. But it seems he's having a hard time removing that pressure because he's always in fear of getting yanked before he's had a chance to do something good so he presses. I think we can all agree that's a fair estimation of what we witness from his actions on the court, he's always "pressing".

I think Phil calling him out in te media was a good move, and I think it will be a good move in the future as well - as long as he isn't chastized publically after EVERY poor performance. The next few games will be interesting to watch. My guess is that Kwame will put together 2 or three good games and then regress. I hope Phil holds a tight lip at that point and give Kwame the chance to shake it off on his own and come out and play strong the following game. If Kwame puts up a second straight stinker at that point then definitely call him out on in publically again. It's all basically babysitting, but it's unfortunately necessary in dealing with all the psyche issues Kwame has at this point.

I see hope in that article, because it displays Kwame is commited to both following instruction and getting better. He admits that he's finally getting a few things and that's a HUGE start. It's also a good indicator to all of us just how long of a road Kwame has to becoming a good player. As fans, we've two choices now. Support the fact that Kwame is embracing traveling that road, of chastising him for not already being farther along on the road. Fact is, for what ever reason, he is at an early point in that journey, and regardless of our opinion as to whether or not it's taking too long - one thing is for certain: He'll never arrive at the point we want him to be if we kick him off that road entirely. I see many positives out of those two articles. Lot's of hope....

bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:

DUNK THE BALL

every time someone has a conversation with this guy it should begin and end with "DUNK THE BALL!"
Klassix
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:

As each day passes, i hate him and this trade even more.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Thats what kind of scares me. If he doesn't know what he is doing wrong, then how can he improve?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: