La La Land (2016)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: La La Land (2016)

Did anyone see this? It seemed to clean up at the Golden Globes. It's definitely on the top of my list of movies to see now. For some reason, I don't remember hearing about this, but the trailer is visually stunning and the music sounds great.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

It's a fun movie that I enjoyed. I'm not a big musical guy but I was impressed. I knew before I saw it and before it was released that it would win all the awards. There are better movies out there this year, but if you want to see this one I'd recommend it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

I'm a big musical fan and so is my friend I saw it with. We both just thought it was "okay." I wanted to like it, and many of the right elements were there (the two lead were good, the dance numbers were good, visuals were good). But somehow overall it just didn't have the magic for me. I guess I've seen too many Astaire/Rogers films and other classic musicals. It was entertaining but I wanted to like it a lot more than I actually did.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

I don't enjoy musicals..I am close-minded. I saw office x-mas party it was awful but I rather re-watch that than watch La La Land.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Hollywood enjoys celebrating and self-congratulating itself. So it was no wonder it won a lot of awards. My friends who are in musicals for their profession mostly loved it (save for a few) but everyone else including me was kinda meh. At least Emma Stone wasn't playing an Asian....

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ldkr6172
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Not much into musicals either but, I'll check it out with the wife.
Atticus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject:

I enjoy musicals but La La Land isn't a traditional musical. It starts out with several musical numbers but there's a solid chunk of the film that's straight drama.

I personally loved the movie and don't see how anyone could say it was just OK. The movie cleaned up at the Globes and with the critics and I get that they tend to like movies that glamorize Hollywood. But the IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes user reviews are overwhelmingly positive as well. No movie is universally liked and many movies that gain some hype disappoint because people go in expecting a life-changing experience. Maybe this won't be that for you but to me it was the best movie of 2016.

With musicals for some reason you're just going to get people who hate them no matter what. La La Land is a very emotionally powerful movie. It's also funny, musical, and visually stunning. The singing and dancing isn't the same caliber as a classic Gene Kelly musical but that almost makes it more real to me. It's just people who are a bit better at singing and dancing than we are outwardly displaying their internal soundtrack as they go through their days. I highly recommend this to everyone I know, but you have to watch with an open mind -- not expecting the best movie ever.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
It's a fun movie that I enjoyed. I'm not a big musical guy but I was impressed. I knew before I saw it and before it was released that it would win all the awards. There are better movies out there this year, but if you want to see this one I'd recommend it.

For this reason, my natural reaction was to be averse. It seems that every 2-4 years another musical film comes out that gets more positive attention than it deserves. But they rarely stand the test of time. I mean, I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch Chicago anymore. Granted, the modern musical is not my genre of choice anyway (although I did enjoy Woody Allen's "Everyone Says I Love You") but, like yourself, I saw the accolades for la la land coming and that made me want to avoid it.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Tonight's the night. Thanks homie.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
ocho wrote:

For this reason, my natural reaction was to be averse. It seems that every 2-4 years another musical film comes out that gets more positive attention than it deserves. But they rarely stand the test of time. I mean, I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch Chicago anymore. Granted, the modern musical is not my genre of choice anyway (although I did enjoy Woody Allen's "Everyone Says I Love You") but, like yourself, I saw the accolades for la la land coming and that made me want to avoid it.

Believe me I hear you. It's not fair to the movie, and I remind myself every year that awards are silly and it means nothing. Over the last year or two I've made a concerted effort to obliterate hype and expectations from my movie going experience. I don't read anything before I see it and I don't watch trailers. Most of the time i sit down to watch a movie now I don't even know what it's about. It's so much better I can't even tell you. If I voted for awards I wouldn't be voting for La La Land, but I still found it enjoyable and impressive in its execution. It has a very talented filmmaker at the helm. I'll never watch it again. And that's ok.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
ocho wrote:

Believe me I hear you. It's not fair to the movie, and I remind myself every year that awards are silly and it means nothing. Over the last year or two I've made a concerted effort to obliterate hype and expectations from my movie going experience. I don't read anything before I see it and I don't watch trailers. Most of the time i sit down to watch a movie now I don't even know what it's about. It's so much better I can't even tell you. If I voted for awards I wouldn't be voting for La La Land, but I still found it enjoyable and impressive in its execution. It has a very talented filmmaker at the helm. I'll never watch it again. And that's ok.

Thanks for sharing. I, too, like to know as little about a film in advance of screening. And like you said, I've been consistently lowering my expectations for years now. Hate to sound like a curmudgeon but, like music, films have just become so disposable. So your last line rings true for me too. I haven't been able to give up watching trailers, however, I just may start because that's becoming a disheartening process too. Problem is, I actually enjoy the movie going experience so much. I grew up very poor but there was a discount theater by my house where I'd spend a lot of my summers and that magical experience stayed with me. So I've adopted new standards for enjoyment and just look for the positive to keep the experience as alive as I can. Oddly enough, you describe la la land as a modern escapism film and that's really all I look for now amidst the CG and wooden character portrayals. I know the industry won't change so I better.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I haven't been able to give up watching trailers, however, I just may start because that's becoming a disheartening process too. Problem is, I actually enjoy the movie going experience so much. I grew up very poor but there was a discount theater by my house where I'd spend a lot of my summers and that magical experience stayed with me. So I've adopted new standards for enjoyment and just look for the positive to keep the experience as alive as I can.

I can't recommend it enough. Sitting down to watch something where you have no clue what it is is so exciting. It can be whatever it intends to be without any baggage associated. If you've read reviews and know a few of the beats or turns already and have seen extensive trailer footage you can't help but watch it against what you're expecting. If you don't know anything you can't expect much, and the story can unfold on you the way it was always supposed to.

I keep a Watch list in my Google Keep. If I hear a recommendation from someone or I hear a general enthusiasm for something I put it on the list. I have 8 movies on there right now and I don't know what any of them are about. To me it's so much more exciting to get through them that way than thinking when that certain moment from the trailer is going to happen or why that critic likes this so much or why people are giving this so much attention. I think I would have unfairly disliked La La Land before seeing it and carried that into the theater with me if I had absorbed all the noise beforehand. That stuff will never help you enjoy something, it'll only set it up for failure.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Hollywood enjoys celebrating and self-congratulating itself. So it was no wonder it won a lot of awards. My friends who are in musicals for their profession mostly loved it (save for a few) but everyone else including me was kinda meh. At least Emma Stone wasn't playing an Asian....

I hear Matt Damon is open for the part.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

No, movies that don't have aliens, explosions, car chases, people getting shot, hot chicks scantily clad, have zero chance of making a dime off of me...

yeah, I'm that shallow...
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
rwongega wrote:

But only if he brushes up on his kung fu.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Scarlett Johansson wasn't available? Maybe she heard that no-talent POS Steve Harvey's typical unfunny segment.
Martian
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

I've seen the trailer several times and still not interested! Never liked musicals anyway. Maybe I'll watch it someday and change my mind, but my list is full at the moment.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Hands down the most over-hyped/rated of the movies that are getting buzz and awards.

It was impressive to look at visually, but outside of that it was disappointing and not worthy of the hype.

Though in fairness I should add, it is not a movie I went into because it looked appealing to me. It was one I saw because of the hype.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject:

I really enjoyed the movie for the plot and drama. Thought the musical numbers were mildly forgettable at best.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Easily best movie of 2016 and probably the best movie I have seen in 15+ years. Currently it is hip to dislike the movie and that backlash might even cost it the best picture Oscar. For the people who refuse to see it because it is a "musical", don't worry, I have seen it 5 times and probably will see it a few more times in the theater so I am picking up your slack. Great piece of art.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Easily best movie of 2016 and probably the best movie I have seen in 15+ years. Currently it is hip to dislike the movie and that backlash might even cost it the best picture Oscar. For the people who refuse to see it because it is a "musical", don't worry, I have seen it 5 times and probably will see it a few more times in the theater so I am picking up your slack. Great piece of art.

Perhaps, rather than see La La Land 5 plus times, you should go see more movies.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Hands down the most over-hyped/rated of the movies that are getting buzz and awards.

It was impressive to look at visually, but outside of that it was disappointing and not worthy of the hype.

Though in fairness I should add, it is not a movie I went into because it looked appealing to me. It was one I saw because of the hype.

Remember how Chicago got all those awards and buzz. Zellwegger and Zeta Jones dancing and singing! I saw that a couple years later. Pretty forgettable. All I remember now is how unmemorable it was.

It's why I avoid this one. It seems like an insider kind of thing, and a bit precious. I have limited time. Still haven't seen any single Breaking Bad episode or finished off other series. Learned to trust my hunches over the years. If I come across it if a gf or group wants to watch it, then it's a reason to watch.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
OCWA wrote:

Perhaps, rather than see La La Land 5 plus times, you should go see more movies.

Have seen all of the nominated best picture films this year and watch a ton of Indie films every year. Art is subjective so I understand that there will people who dislike La La Land. But I will not apologize for seeing La La Land multiple times just like I won't apologize for seeing Pulp Fiction or Boogies Nights multiple times. Now if I had seen an Adam Sandler movie 5 times then your mocking would be justified...lol
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Remember how Chicago got all those awards and buzz. Zellwegger and Zeta Jones dancing and singing! I saw that a couple years later. Pretty forgettable. All I remember now is how unmemorable it was.

It's why I avoid this one. It seems like an insider kind of thing, and a bit precious. I have limited time. Still haven't seen any single Breaking Bad episode or finished off other series. Learned to trust my hunches over the years. If I come across it if a gf or group wants to watch it, then it's a reason to watch.

La La Land is a very good movie. Technically (outside of the singing and dancing by Stone and Gosling, which was "proficient" at best) it is very well executed. There's a good story there, the acting is solid, the production is top notch. But the movie tries to do so many things that it never really finds its identity. It's a fun watch, though. My "disappointing" comment was directed at the hype. It just doesn't live up to it. I can see why people enjoyed it the movie, but it's not the best movie of the year.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
OCWA wrote:

Have seen all of the nominated best picture films this year and watch a ton of Indie films every year. Art is subjective so I understand that there will people who dislike La La Land. But I will not apologize for seeing La La Land multiple times just like I won't apologize for seeing Pulp Fiction or Boogies Nights multiple times. Now if I had seen an Adam Sandler movie 5 times then your mocking would be justified...lol

Very true.

But I was kidding, hence the .

And for the record, I did not dislike La La Land. Quite the opposite. I enjoyed it. I just don't agree with the gushing reviews of it. I mean first of all, if you're going to do a dance heavy musical, get the talent to pull off the dance numbers.

I've seen all the nominees as well. I get why La La Land will likely win Best Picture from the Academy, it's a fun and feel good movie that's well executed and it doesn't make the audience think too much. But it's not the best movie of this crop, and it certainly isn't the bet movie of the last 15 years plus. And it won't be the first time the best film didn't Best Picture, and it won't be the last.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: