Jury Duty/Selection Tips?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Jury Duty/Selection Tips?

I have to go in tomorrow morning. I believe I will be sitting around in a large room with many other people, to see if I will get chosen.

I already decided that I'm not going to outwardly BS the judge/lawyers, when they question me (i.e. say that I'm racist, bigot, mention jury nullification, etc.). I heard that they are used to this, and will just grill you about these things, and embarrass you in front of everyone. I definitely don't want to serve on a trial, though. My work doesn't compensate me for jury duty (I can't claim financial hardship, though). I guess if there is a reasonable way to get out of it, I might want to try that, but don't want to do anything where I would be caught in a lie.

I'm also going to bring a bag with some snacks, water, gatorade, etc. Might bring my laptop.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Bring your laptop. The waiting area should have wifi. They also bucket you into number of weeks of jury duty pay. So it could be just a day or two, for jury duty or less if your job doesn't allow you to take time off for it.

Next, if you don't go in with an open mind, you could get the judge from hell and you'll either be in contempt or at least be questioned as part of being in a jury.

For me, they haven't called me in over a decade for criminal court cases due to the fact that I had a relative who was killed by gun violence. If you have something traumatic like that, give them that info, and you will most likely not serve on a jury for a long time coming (due to one of the lawyers asking you not be part of the jury).
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

If you've ever been the victim of a crime, remember to bring it up. The defense will most likely not want you (if it's a criminal case).

If you've ever been sued or sued someone, bring that up (if it's a civil case). Again, they don't want your past hard feelings influencing their case.

If you've ever been in a car accident, bring that up (it it's a traffic case).

You get the idea.

I've been on jury duty about a dozen times...
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

I've only been in once, but all I did was wait in the waiting room all day. They'll have wifi so bring your laptop.

I did have my name called for a potential case, but they mentioned that it would be extra long (like 17+ days) so I was able to opt out of it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Prepare for a day of boredom. I've been there 3 times. If you're not chosen for a panel you're finished for a year.

I've served on a jury. Was chosen foreman. It gave me great insight to how the system works. It made me understand how and why OJ was found innocent (not taking a side).

Instructions are vital. If you follow them and not your feelings you may vote the way you don't want to but the way you're instructed to.

Take your laptop and don't forget the charger.

Good luck citizen.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
ldkr6172
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Jury Duty/Selection Tips?

leor_77 wrote:
I have to go in tomorrow morning. I believe I will be sitting around in a large room with many other people, to see if I will get chosen.

I already decided that I'm not going to outwardly BS the judge/lawyers, when they question me (i.e. say that I'm racist, bigot, mention jury nullification, etc.). I heard that they are used to this, and will just grill you about these things, and embarrass you in front of everyone. I definitely don't want to serve on a trial, though. My work doesn't compensate me for jury duty (I can't claim financial hardship, though). I guess if there is a reasonable way to get out of it, I might want to try that, but don't want to do anything where I would be caught in a lie.

I'm also going to bring a bag with some snacks, water, gatorade, etc. Might bring my laptop.

You may have that going for you. If your work doesn't compensate you, they may have a little sympathy since, the guvment pays you (bleep) for serving.

You're right in that bsing the judge gets you nowhere. I had to report last july and thankfully, didn't make it to the interview process. But observing what other people were saying, the judge wasn't having any of it. If anything, it delayed the process because the judge would stop each time and lecture everyone on the "presumption of innocence". That was the phrase of the day. I couldn't get it out of my head.

It may help if you have had any experience with the police or, may have a relative in law enforcement. They may think that it may cloud your judgement and release you. All of the potential jurors that had family members in law enforcement were excused when I was there.

It's very frustrating and very boring to be there. Unfortunately, if none of those things work for you, you may have to just, I hate to say it, suck it up.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

great thread! Mine is in 2 weeks and my work compensates for jury duty so I could care less lol. I don't wanna drive to the court house though, it's in a sketch area
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject:

1) Take a power plug split (Like This) That way, you can plug in even if someone else is already using the outlet. I keep one in my bag because it's so light weight.

2) Tell the truth, but make sure you emphasize any of the following if the opportunity arises:
- Relative of a cop
- Really close relative of a lawyer
- Strong religious beliefs
- Victim or relative of a victim of a similar crime.
- Advanced education, especially in the sciences.

At least one side will be trying to spin things, and they are looking for compliant, sympathetic jurors. Especially if they seem like someone that can convince others of their viewpoint.

I made it to the questioning phase, but the defense didn't like my strong background in Physics so they dismissed me.

3) I've also found that in OC, you can defer for up to a year through the website. That way you won't have to deal with it more than once every 2 years. 1 year between summons (keep your paperwork) + 1 year deferral.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Ventura allows you to select which day of the week you want to serve. I did it on Friday last year thinking that they wouldn't start a trial then, but they did call two panels. I just sat in the room all day and watched Netflix. They finally excused us about 2 pm.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

The defense and prosecutor have a specific jury pool in mind. If you don't fit the profile chances are you won't get selected. And that poster that said no BSing was right, they can see thru your sham excuse considering they encounter it everyday.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

i only made it to jury selection box once. Embellished a story of a relative going through a similar situation of what the trial was about. Didnt say anything like "I am a racist" and even claimed I would do my best to not let that hinder my duty as juror. They later excused me from that trial.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

it is extremely boring. Its kind of like a cross between the DMV and detention at school.

As others have said, bring a laptop or a book or something. You will be be sitting around doing nothing for extended periods of time.

If you get called into the selection process you will be one of like 50 people. They only choose 12 and a couple alternates. I served a few months ago and I was number 64 out of 70. It took forever, i had to sit through about 45 people being questioned...took like 2 and a half days just to pick a jury. Luckily for me the lawyers were satisfied well before they even go to me. i basically had to sit there and wait for the whole time.

The "don't BS" thing is so true. One lady tried to say she was biased against latinos (the defendant was latino) and the judge was like "OK, a criminal case isn't for you come back tomorrow on a civil case". lol. Basically he made her come back and start all over. Don't mess with these people.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

I was also thinking along the lines of what Chef Linda was saying, whatever the case is about, if you have had some up-close-and-personal experiences with it, you need to tell them and you will most likely get dismissed.

Example: I was picked for a jury for a dunk driving case and the guy next to me stated his daughter had been hit by a drunk driver and he did not feel he could be impartial and he was dismissed.

With that being said, there is probably a 65% (or greater) chance that you will just sit around there all day, never getting called for a jury position; if that happens you will just serve the one day and then be done for 1-3 years...
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

You most likely will end up going without getting called. I got called on once, then our group got dismissed; not a single step inside the courtroom. Be prepared to watch 12 Angry Men if you don't bring your own books/laptop.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I was also thinking along the lines of what Chef Linda was saying, whatever the case is about, if you have had some up-close-and-personal experiences with it, you need to tell them and you will most likely get dismissed.

Or you could just look at the lawyer for the defense and say, "Damn, you are good lookin'! (regardless of specific genders involved or validity of the comment)".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Tell the truth and take your chances on being picked.

I got out of a child molestation case because at the time I had and 7 and 9 year old brother and sister.

Bye.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks for all the tips.

I wish I had a better story, but I just showed up to the courthouse early in the morning, filled out a form in a large, empty room (one other person was there), and left with a certificate of completion 10 minutes later, as they didn't need any jury panelists that day.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Thanks for all the tips.

I wish I had a better story, but I just showed up to the courthouse early in the morning, filled out a form in a large, empty room (one other person was there), and left with a certificate of completion 10 minutes later, as they didn't need any jury panelists that day.
sounds about right
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Thanks for all the tips.

did you call in the night before or that morning? since slmost nobody was there it seems like most somehow found out they were not needed
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

Lastly, dunno if you are in the Los Angeles area, but you call in everyday of the week to see if you need to go. Also, sometimes, when I did get called in, they just tell the group that you're done within an hour of jury duty starting.

Reason is usually a postponement or they settled the case, and you're no longer needed. I couldn't even give them a reason why I shouldn't be on the jury, yada yada.

So who knows, you might not miss a single day of work.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Thanks for all the tips.

did you call in the night before or that morning? since slmost nobody was there it seems like most somehow found out they were not needed

That's the way it works in Los Angeles. You call the night before reporting. You're told whether or not you have to report. Last time I was summoned I called the night before and didn't have to report.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

I just don't go. Seems like a waste of time from what I heard from. I get those jury duty summons in the mail but never bother with them.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

I went once and the case got dismissed apparently (there was a hot lawyer chick so that was nice to see ). I'm done with Jury Duty for the foreseable future.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
I just don't go. Seems like a waste of time from what I heard from. I get those jury duty summons in the mail but never bother with them.

You know it's against the law to ignore a summons don't you? You haven't been arrested yet. If I have it right a bench warrant for your can be issued.

Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Thanks for all the tips.

Lucky!

I have jury duty in Ventura County tomorrow.

I have a feeling my experience will be different.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: