View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Thanks for all the tips.

I wish I had a better story, but I just showed up to the courthouse early in the morning, filled out a form in a large, empty room (one other person was there), and left with a certificate of completion 10 minutes later, as they didn't need any jury panelists that day.

did you call in the night before or that morning? since slmost nobody was there it seems like most somehow found out they were not needed

I'm relatively new to most of this, but it was a summons, and I had to be there. I called earlier in the week because I had a problem with registration online. I spoke with someone over the phone, who said that I didn't need to register, but I had to show up on that day. Also, the lady that helped me today confirmed that I had to appear.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Well done.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Conker wrote:
I just don't go. Seems like a waste of time from what I heard from. I get those jury duty summons in the mail but never bother with them.

You know it's against the law to ignore a summons don't you? You haven't been arrested yet. If I have it right a bench warrant for your can be issued.
Luckily for me, Miami-Dade County has a high population that bench warrant for unpaid fines and failure to appear on a jury duty summons is unheard of. Even if I do get arrested for that, i'll just laugh about it all the way to TGK.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:

You don't have a right to complain about our government, this country or our political process if you can't even do your small part by accepting the opportunity (not burden) of serving on a jury.

There is no greater avenue for direct change in this country than jury service. It's the least you could do. Hate this thread and hate how people try to get out of jury duty. I'd love to be on a jury.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
You don't have a right to complain about our government, this country or our political process if you can't even do your small part by accepting the opportunity (not burden) of serving on a jury.

There is no greater avenue for direct change in this country than jury service. It's the least you could do. Hate this thread and hate how people try to get out of jury duty. I'd love to be on a jury.

Unfortunately, that opportunity can also be a financial burden. It's not mutually exclusive.

I love the idea of serving on a jury. I worry about how my employer doesn't compensate me for that time because I do have financial obligations that must be met.

With that said, I'll go there tomorrow and be straight forward and honest. I'm not going to lie to try to get out of it, but I will let them know that it will be tough on my family.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Conker wrote:
I just don't go. Seems like a waste of time from what I heard from. I get those jury duty summons in the mail but never bother with them.

You know it's against the law to ignore a summons don't you? You haven't been arrested yet. If I have it right a bench warrant for your can be issued.
Luckily for me, Miami-Dade County has a high population that bench warrant for unpaid fines and failure to appear on a jury duty summons is unheard of. Even if I do get arrested for that, i'll just laugh about it all the way to TGK.

Dade County

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Unfortunately, that opportunity can also be a financial burden. It's not mutually exclusive.

I love the idea of serving on a jury. I worry about how my employer doesn't compensate me for that time because I do have financial obligations that must be met.

With that said, I'll go there tomorrow and be straight forward and honest. I'm not going to lie to try to get out of it, but I will let them know that it will be tough on my family.

Bumping because I'm curious how yours went.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: