View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Cochese wrote:
Nobody in Los Angeles wants the Chargers here.

lakersken80 made a good case for Stan Kroenke wanting them here. They'll fill seats, be the football equivalent of the Clippers, always second. If the Raiders came they would be LA's team, the Chargers never will be #1.

I'm not sure that the Chargers DON'T have an opportunity to gain a foothold here. The Coliseum was empty as hell by the end of the year. This was in the very first year back of NFL football in LA. Simply put, if the product is awful, LA fans are not going to show up. (Not unless there's a built-in history with years of goodwill, like the Dodgers and Lakers have.) The Chargers have a much better chance to put a better product on the field more quickly than the Rams do, at least in my humble opinion. The Rams' owner may own the stadium, but if the Chargers are also playing in it and doing far better, they can create a buzz in this area. Let's be honest: is there really any Rams buzz in this area? If there is, I don't think there's much of one.

I also don't blame Spanos. They actually tried to get a stadium deal done, so much so that it was literally in the voters' hands. (This is as opposed to Kroenke, who rebuffed the city council's efforts at the end and wanted to get out.) Had Spanos' true motivation been to leave at all costs, they wouldn't have even had something go to a vote. The people didn't want the team enough. And that's fine, if that's what they wanted. But I don't want to hear about their fans crying. They didn't want the team enough. And they wouldn't have even been the ones paying the taxes.

I think considerable "bad will" grew after Carroll Rosenbloom died, leaving the team in the hands of his capricious, narcissistic, and empty-headed wife (remember when she wanted to convert Nolan Cromwell to a wishbone QB?). The team was already on a death spiral when she moved the team to her native St. Louis. I would be surprised if any of the Old Guard fans weren't permanently alienated by those actions, and by the sheer number of years they stayed away from greater LA. My guess is that football fans in greater LA have adopted other NFL teams as their favorite, or simply follow one of the local college teams.

There is an opportunity for the Chargers, as the Rams are not a home town favorite.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

I know more Charger fans that would trek down to SD than I do Rams fans.

I think its a race to contender.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

Bill Plaschke, who I generally feel is a moron, really hit the nail on the head in his column in the LA Times today, which I would link if I wasn't posting from my crappy phone. Essentially his point was: nobody in LA wants the Chargers. The Raiders are LA's team but instead the City is stuck with two mediocre franchises it will only half support.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Bill Plaschke, who I generally feel is a moron, really hit the nail on the head in his column in the LA Times today, which I would link if I wasn't posting from my crappy phone. Essentially his point was: nobody in LA wants the Chargers. The Raiders are LA's team but instead the City is stuck with two mediocre franchises it will only half support.

Why didn't the Raiders move back?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

cisternachyli wrote:
Username wrote:

because Mark Davis knows Raider Nation are everywhere, he does not need the LA fan base to succeed like the Rams and Chargers do, and definitely don't want to be the 2nd fiddle to Stan Kroeke. moving to LV is the best option, they'd be the only team in town and LV is relatively close to Bay area, socal and even Arizona.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
cisternachyli wrote:
Username wrote:

because Mark Davis knows Raider Nation are everywhere, he does not need the LA fan base to succeed like the Rams and Chargers do, and definitely don't want to be the 2nd fiddle to Stan Kroeke. moving to LV is the best option, they'd be the only team in town and LV is relatively close to Bay area, socal and even Arizona.

The Raiders weren't invited back to LA by the league or the other owners. Their only way back is if the Chargers were to decline. Davis is an outsider and couldn't gather enough votes. Spanos wanted to come with the Raiders until Jerry Jones pulled the power move to get the Rams over.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18458717/san-diego-chargers-desperate-move-shot-nfl-vitality-2017

Maybe the NFL has a bigger problem on its hands.

Quote:
Now a weird year for the NFL just got weirder. If the Chargers do indeed move, and if owners approve the Raiders' move to Vegas in March, three teams will have relocated in a 14-month span. There will be plenty of blame to go around. Goodell will be the face of it, but internally, owners and executives will wonder if NFL executive Eric Grubman, the point man on stadiums, did an effective enough job of negotiating with San Diego officials. The owners will be viewed as vessels of greed; Spanos will be the one who in the end decided to pull the plug on a cherished home, his legacy a sunburned version of Art Modell's. But the lingering conflict goes beyond the relocations, beyond the logistics and into an area that is tougher to navigate if not solve, because there is no clear solution: What if the NFL simply matters less?

It's a question that goes beyond the ratings issues of 2016, a crisis that wasn't -- but still shook some owners as a premonition that the league's cultural supremacy might be at stake. All stadium deals are different, and it's especially difficult to build one in California, but given the stakes, it was revealing that the Chargers' November stadium ballot measure went down so badly, with only 43 percent in support of it. The city had a choice and it made it.

Now Los Angeles, which for two decades watched the weekend's two best games on TV, will watch the Rams and the Chargers. Owners publicly are bullish about Los Angeles as a two-team town; privately they're not so sure -- especially because owners don't want the one team that would do best there, the Raiders, to return to their old home, owning to Al Davis' burned bridges and the co-opting of real apparel by gangs. "How are the Chargers going to market themselves?" one team executive says. "'We didn't want to be here, but we're here, so buy some PSLs?'"
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

seems like a very stupid move. Why become LA's red headed stepchild?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/chargers
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

Chargers are going to play in the StubHub Center.
http://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2017/01/12/stubhub-center-named-interim-home-los-angeles-chargers
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18458293/chargers-announce-move-los-angeles-leaving-san-diego

Quote:
The Chargers will play their home games the next two seasons at the 30,000-seat StubHub Center in Carson, California. They are promoting it as a "one-of-a-kind product" that gives fans an opportunity to be "up close and personal" with players. There is also the belief that it helps differentiate them from the Rams, who often appeared to be playing before a half-empty stadium at cavernous Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

The move is considered a financial boon for the Chargers, but perhaps it was fitting that rain fell over the city on the morning of the announcement. In virtually every poll of Angelenos -- official and informal -- the Chargers were ranked as the least desirable of the three teams seeking to relocate to the market last year, trailing the Rams and Raiders. Management knows it will be a challenge to establish its roots in the community, which speaks to its planned marketing slogan: Fight for L.A.
VTECkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

Vegas cannot support a nfl team, stands wont be packed.. its a lost cause imo relying on ppl flying or long driving to vegas for a game.. they would never truly have a home field advantage imo, similar to london games.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
ldkr6172
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

I grew up without a football team in LA and I immediately took in the Rams because of their history.

I feel bad for San Diego fans though. My brother is a bolts fan and used to live there before coming back to LA so, it works out for him.
ldkr6172
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

As an Angeleno, it makes me happy that LA has 2 teams in all 4 major sports (if you count Angels and Ducks) but, I don't see the Chargers having much success here.
ldkr6172
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Waiting to hear 100% that they're gone, but I'm incredibly sad right now.

Won't be the same not having a team from the city I was born and raised in to cheer for (don't care about baseball much and the Padres barely qualify as a professional team anyways)

sorry, man.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

ldkr6172 wrote:
As an Angeleno, it makes me happy that LA has 2 teams in all 4 major sports (if you count Angels and Ducks) but, I don't see the Chargers having much success here.

I think thats a big reason why they chose to play their temporary games at the StubHub Center. They know they pretty much lost all their SD fans with this move, and a lot of the existing NFL fans in LA are either Rams or Raiders fans....then there are fans of other teams who will never root for the Chargers because they developed a following when there was no NFL team in LA, you see them occasionally, whether they be Broncos, Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers, Packers, etc. The Chargers always had the vibe of being perennial losers because they couldn't close the deal even when they had those stacked teams in the 2000's.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/TBLightning/status/819596619943440384

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

ldkr6172 wrote:
I grew up without a football team in LA and I immediately took in the Rams because of their history.

I feel bad for San Diego fans though. My brother is a bolts fan and used to live there before coming back to LA so, it works out for him.

On one hand San Diego residents are smart they don't give out welfare for billionaire sports team owners. But its also a reason why don't have an NBA and now an NFL team. The last stadium built with public funds was Petco Park and thats was a fraction of the money that is needed to build an NFL stadium.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

I had no clue this was happening!

From 0 NFL teams to 2!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
http://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2017/01/12/stubhub-center-named-interim-home-los-angeles-chargers

I guess it's closer to me but still hesitant about going.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

It'd be awesome to watch an NFL game at Stubhub Center! Not a bad seat in the house
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

30,000 is tiny for an NFL game, more than 20,000 less than the next smallest stadium.

Couldn't they have tried to get the rose bowl instead or something?

Or is this just Spanos being cheap as usual?

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
rwongega wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

It'd be awesome to watch an NFL game at Stubhub Center! Not a bad seat in the house

For OC folks, it's perfect. Just a jaunt down the 405 and we don't have to deal with the heart of LA type traffic.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

i think it's a smart move to Stubhub center. change things up, last thing they want is showing half empty Rose Bowl and Coliseum on live TV. also Carson is far closer to SD than Colisem or Rose Bowl is, so easier on the transition. however, with the 30,000 capacity they will definitely jack up the ticket prices to meet profit.
ldkr6172
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
rwongega wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

For OC folks, it's perfect. Just a jaunt down the 405 and we don't have to deal with the heart of LA type traffic.

405 and traffic are synonymous. There's always traffic no matter what time of day.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: