BREAKING NEWS: Chargers moving to LA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
30,000 is tiny for an NFL game, more than 20,000 less than the next smallest stadium.

Couldn't they have tried to get the rose bowl instead or something?

Or is this just Spanos being cheap as usual?

The residents and city council voted against any NFL games at the Rose Bowl. They can barely tolerate the UCLA games. If you've ever been to the Rose Bowl during those games you know how awful the traffic situation is.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Moses wrote:
30,000 is tiny for an NFL game, more than 20,000 less than the next smallest stadium.

The residents and city council voted against any NFL games at the Rose Bowl. They can barely tolerate the UCLA games. If you've ever been to the Rose Bowl during those games you know how awful the traffic situation is.

Cool, didn't know that, kinda a shame they couldn't find a bigger stadium, but then considering recent history they might not be able to fill a big stadium anyway.

Never been to the rose bowl, I live in England so long way away

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18458717/san-diego-chargers-desperate-move-shot-nfl-vitality-2017

Maybe the NFL has a bigger problem on its hands.

Quote:
Now a weird year for the NFL just got weirder. If the Chargers do indeed move, and if owners approve the Raiders' move to Vegas in March, three teams will have relocated in a 14-month span. There will be plenty of blame to go around. Goodell will be the face of it, but internally, owners and executives will wonder if NFL executive Eric Grubman, the point man on stadiums, did an effective enough job of negotiating with San Diego officials. The owners will be viewed as vessels of greed; Spanos will be the one who in the end decided to pull the plug on a cherished home, his legacy a sunburned version of Art Modell's. But the lingering conflict goes beyond the relocations, beyond the logistics and into an area that is tougher to navigate if not solve, because there is no clear solution: What if the NFL simply matters less?

It's a question that goes beyond the ratings issues of 2016, a crisis that wasn't -- but still shook some owners as a premonition that the league's cultural supremacy might be at stake. All stadium deals are different, and it's especially difficult to build one in California, but given the stakes, it was revealing that the Chargers' November stadium ballot measure went down so badly, with only 43 percent in support of it. The city had a choice and it made it.

Now Los Angeles, which for two decades watched the weekend's two best games on TV, will watch the Rams and the Chargers. Owners publicly are bullish about Los Angeles as a two-team town; privately they're not so sure -- especially because owners don't want the one team that would do best there, the Raiders, to return to their old home, owning to Al Davis' burned bridges and the co-opting of real apparel by gangs. "How are the Chargers going to market themselves?" one team executive says. "'We didn't want to be here, but we're here, so buy some PSLs?'"

On the ratings issue, I think the NFL is just experiencing the bursting of the fantasy sports bubble. I don't mean the gambling sites like Draft Kings. I mean the zillions of fantasy leagues all over the place. I think that created a bubble of interest in the NFL, but it is receding as people start to get tired of fantasy leagues. It's sort of like TV poker, but on a much larger scale.

On the second issue, I can't imagine how either the Rams or the Chargers would sell themselves in LA. One team left, and the other didn't want to come. The assumption is that the sheer mass of population in LA will be enough to fill a stadium. History should not fill the Chargers with optimism.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Moses wrote:

Cool, didn't know that, kinda a shame they couldn't find a bigger stadium, but then considering recent history they might not be able to fill a big stadium anyway.

Never been to the rose bowl, I live in England so long way away

It's awful. My British friends compare it to a standard roundabout or the M25. I tend to just park my car at a friend's who lives in Pasadena and then we walk over. We get there faster anyways. That said, Chargers at the Rose Bowl might yield less traffic.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Is there a reason the Chargers aren't sharing the Coliseum? Is it because it would be overcrowded with SC playing there and the Rams?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Is there a reason the Chargers aren't sharing the Coliseum? Is it because it would be overcrowded with SC playing there and the Rams?

Probably realized they would be competing with the Rams to carve out their own niche and having more empty seats would look terrible. At least with only 30,000 seats to fill, every game will be a sellout. Also I think the grass field would be ruined with so many games so often at the Coliseum which would create another obstacle for all the teams.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Funny how some Chargers players are getting emotional about leaving SD...It's a three hour drive, people.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

ldkr6172 wrote:
I grew up without a football team in LA and I immediately took in the Rams because of their history.

I feel bad for San Diego fans though. My brother is a bolts fan and used to live there before coming back to LA so, it works out for him.

This, although I will give the Chargers a chance. I had no rooting interests in the NFL during the drought, and have since adopted the Rams as my team (unlike others, I am supporting them even when they suck). Kind of a weird situation, though...

Chargers are not the Clippers, who I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole. To be honest, I had barely even thought of the Chargers last season. It would seem inauthentic to root for them. I guess we'll see.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for those who reside in San Diego lose their team but at least unlike the Rams you are still in the same state so its not too bad.

Although it would be hilarious if the Chargers actually win an SB because they left San Diego.

That being said as a Colts fan I know how lucky we are this wasn't us and we lucked into Manning to make sure the team stayed in Indy.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Funny how some Chargers players are getting emotional about leaving SD...It's a three hour drive, people.

How many people from LA became Chargers fans because they were so close even though they had no team for 20+ years? Apparently not much. I can see people with an emotional attachment to the city not rooting for the team even if they only moved 120 miles to the north.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
ldkr6172 wrote:
I grew up without a football team in LA and I immediately took in the Rams because of their history.

I feel bad for San Diego fans though. My brother is a bolts fan and used to live there before coming back to LA so, it works out for him.

This, although I will give the Chargers a chance. I had no rooting interests in the NFL during the drought, and have since adopted the Rams as my team (unlike others, I am supporting them even when they suck). Kind of a weird situation, though...

Chargers are not the Clippers, who I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole. To be honest, I had barely even thought of the Chargers last season. It would seem inauthentic to root for them. I guess we'll see.

SAME
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Bill Plaschke, who I generally feel is a moron, really hit the nail on the head in his column in the LA Times today, which I would link if I wasn't posting from my crappy phone. Essentially his point was: nobody in LA wants the Chargers. The Raiders are LA's team but instead the City is stuck with two mediocre franchises it will only half support.

You mean this article?
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-chargers-to-la-plaschke-20170111-story.html

Quote:
The NFL will feel the full embarrassment of this move next fall when the Raiders play the Chargers here and the stadium will be painted in silver and black. At least that game will be sold out. Whether they initially play in the giant Coliseum or the tiny confines of StubHub Center, it’s hard to imagine the Chargers selling many tickets for any of their other games in the next two years before the Inglewood palace opens.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Sacramento Kings weighed in

https://twitter.com/Lakers">@Lakers</a> <a href="https://t.co/MZL7LpmzVH">pic.twitter.com/MZL7LpmzVH</a></p>&mdash; Sacramento Kings (@SacramentoKings) <a href="https://twitter.com/SacramentoKings/status/819707938247819264">January 13, 2017
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Welcome Chargers!

Hey San Diego, you want the Rams?
ldkr6172
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
ldkr6172 wrote:

The problem with the Clippers is that, they capitalize on the league screwing the lakers, finally have a good season and their fans claim that they're the "team of la". Furthermore, the outright disrespect of the lakers by covering up their banners. Clippers are the only LA team I can't stand. I have no beef with the (if you count them) Angels or the Ducks.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject:

fivethirtyeight touches on the notion that the Chargers can "win LA" over the Rams...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/l-a-is-already-way-more-interested-in-the-chargers-than-the-rams/?addata=espn:frontpage
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
fivethirtyeight touches on the notion that the Chargers can "win LA" over the Rams...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/l-a-is-already-way-more-interested-in-the-chargers-than-the-rams/?addata=espn:frontpage

That's interesting. The question will be how many of those people ditched the Chargers for the Rams in the past year. The Chargers certainly won't be in the same position as the Clippers, moving up the freeway to a city that already has an established, popular team.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

why not send the Chargers to Vegas and bring the Raiders back?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

ldkr6172 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
ldkr6172 wrote:

The problem with the Clippers is that, they capitalize on the league screwing the lakers, finally have a good season and their fans claim that they're the "team of la". Furthermore, the outright disrespect of the lakers by covering up their banners. Clippers are the only LA team I can't stand. I have no beef with the (if you count them) Angels or the Ducks.

Have you ever worked for a company? Would you think it is a good idea to have Burger King signage hanging up at a McDonalds? The Clippers rent Staples for their games, they are free to do whatever they want within the terms of their rental agreement. How would you like to go to a Laker game and see Clipper signs hanging everywhere?

As for the Chargers, I started liking them back when they had Chuck Muncie, and then Air Coryell was an exciting brand of football. I would be more inclined to watch a Charger game than a Rams game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
why not send the Chargers to Vegas and bring the Raiders back?

Because Spanos and Kroenke had an agreement to share a stadium with the Raiders getting the third option. There is no way the NFL wants the Raiders in LA.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

I fell off the Rams wagon when they moved. I kinda pulled for them because they were a Los Angeles based team for so long.

I'm kinda pulling for the Chargers because I live in Los Angeles. Also I want to see how Anthony Lynn fares.

They're playing where my son and daughter live, Carson Ca.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Kind of funny, the Chargers did end up in Carson after all, even after the Carson NFL project was rejected.I wouild imagine that the Chargers games will be a unique just because of the intimate fan experience they will get versus other stadiums which usually house 50,000-70,000+ fans....where else can a group of fans heckle a team or players and everyone will hear it? If anybody watches any LA Galaxy games, you would realize there is a rowdy section of fans called the Riot Squad. You can hear their chants during the games. I would imagine something like that would develop if only temporarily for the Chargers games.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Chargers fire John Pagano. They don't even bother to tell him. Finds out he's fired by hearing it on the radio.

Chargers doing everybody dirty

Absolute shambles of a week...

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Chargers fire John Pagano. They don't even bother to tell him. Finds out he's fired by hearing it on the radio.

If their playing dirty works out anywhere near to Trump and his election campaign, they'll be fine.

Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Moses wrote:

If their playing dirty works out anywhere near to Trump and his election campaign, they'll be fine.

They're still the Chargers. If there is a professional sports team that could play dirty and still end up losing, the Chargers are that team.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: