BREAKING NEWS: Chargers moving to LA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Wonder what will happen to the San Diego State Aztecs football program. They shared Qualcomm Stadium with the Chargers and now the primary tent is leaving. Will they redevelop the site like they wanted to and get more high revenue generating businesses out of it? Will SDSU have to build their own college football stadium?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject:

As a Chargers fan it is really frustrating but I take solace in the fact that we won't have to be blackmailed by a billionaire anymore.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18458717/san-diego-chargers-desperate-move-shot-nfl-vitality-2017

Maybe the NFL has a bigger problem on its hands.

Quote:
Now a weird year for the NFL just got weirder. If the Chargers do indeed move, and if owners approve the Raiders' move to Vegas in March, three teams will have relocated in a 14-month span. There will be plenty of blame to go around. Goodell will be the face of it, but internally, owners and executives will wonder if NFL executive Eric Grubman, the point man on stadiums, did an effective enough job of negotiating with San Diego officials. The owners will be viewed as vessels of greed; Spanos will be the one who in the end decided to pull the plug on a cherished home, his legacy a sunburned version of Art Modell's. But the lingering conflict goes beyond the relocations, beyond the logistics and into an area that is tougher to navigate if not solve, because there is no clear solution: What if the NFL simply matters less?

It's a question that goes beyond the ratings issues of 2016, a crisis that wasn't -- but still shook some owners as a premonition that the league's cultural supremacy might be at stake. All stadium deals are different, and it's especially difficult to build one in California, but given the stakes, it was revealing that the Chargers' November stadium ballot measure went down so badly, with only 43 percent in support of it. The city had a choice and it made it.

Now Los Angeles, which for two decades watched the weekend's two best games on TV, will watch the Rams and the Chargers. Owners publicly are bullish about Los Angeles as a two-team town; privately they're not so sure -- especially because owners don't want the one team that would do best there, the Raiders, to return to their old home, owning to Al Davis' burned bridges and the co-opting of real apparel by gangs. "How are the Chargers going to market themselves?" one team executive says. "'We didn't want to be here, but we're here, so buy some PSLs?'"

On the ratings issue, I think the NFL is just experiencing the bursting of the fantasy sports bubble. I don't mean the gambling sites like Draft Kings. I mean the zillions of fantasy leagues all over the place. I think that created a bubble of interest in the NFL, but it is receding as people start to get tired of fantasy leagues. It's sort of like TV poker, but on a much larger scale.

This year was the first year I didn't play fantasy football after 10 years, and I watched way less football this year than ever before, just kind of lost interest. But I'll be watching my Cowboys spank the Packers on Sunday!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
As a Chargers fan it is really frustrating but I take solace in the fact that we won't have to be blackmailed by a billionaire anymore.

And other good news. I think most of your Circle of 7 are retired. I see Dan Crawford. When he goes, you're entire WORLD is gonna open up, dude! All you'll have to do is keep sticking that pin into the Achilles of that Tony B voodoo doll you have.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

You guys are so lucky too we're still paying for it here in Indy. When lets face it most Colts fans with sense know if it wasn't for Manning they would've been the Los Angeles Colts a long time ago.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

You guys are so lucky too we're still paying for it here in Indy. When lets face it most Colts fans with sense know if it wasn't for Manning they would've been the Los Angeles Colts a long time ago.

We know NFL owners have no loyalty except to the almighty dollar, which is why the Seahawks, Colts, Vikings, Jaguars,etc were amongst the teams that were talked about relocating to LA in the past.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

And other good news. I think most of your Circle of 7 are retired. I see Dan Crawford. When he goes, you're entire WORLD is gonna open up, dude! All you'll have to do is keep sticking that pin into the Achilles of that Tony B voodoo doll you have.

The officiating seems better now with those guys gone, but maybe I am not watching as close as Mitch nose dived the franchise into a death spiral.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

PrairieAve wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Wow, so San Diego, the 2nd most populous city in CA has only the Padres?

You know what to do Clippers...

NO THANKS.

Get the Clips out of Cali and move them back to Buffalo. Cali is mostly Laker country.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Funny how some Chargers players are getting emotional about leaving SD...It's a three hour drive, people.

Contrast that with some of the Raiders back in 94 who were making sh-y little pointed comments about LA and the fans once the move to Oaktown was finalized.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Funny how some Chargers players are getting emotional about leaving SD...It's a three hour drive, people.

The Chargers and their players do a ton of charity work in the SD area and are very ingrained in the community. Listen to what guys like Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates, LT, Dan Fouts, etc. have to say about how they feel about San Diego and you'll see why some guys are emotional about leaving. Sure, it's a 2.5 hour drive but it's a VERY different city -- has much more of a "little big city" feel to it.

As an aside, the last couple sentences are probably why there's so many fans refusing to support the team in LA... SD is pretty much forgotten by the rest of the country, as "Southern CA" is generally viewed as interchangeable for Los Angeles by the media, despite SD being the 6th largest metro area in the country. Not saying LA is a terrible place by any means (I personally am very fond of LA), but that's how a lot of San Diegans see it.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Here's what long-time Chargers center Nick Hardwick had to say on his radio show. I lol'd

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsSD/status/820122543805710337

You have to admit that no matter if you're happy with the move or not, the Chargers PR team has been GOD AWFUL throughout this process. From Mark Fabiani (former stadium point man) trashing the city and fans for YEARS, to the Carson deal, to doing a terrible job informing the public and doing advertising for the ballot measure in November, and now the last couple days with the announcement of the move and tone deaf-ness with which they've handled it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Chargers getting the Clippers treatment at the Clippers vs Lakers game...
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18475653/los-angeles-chargers-jeff-cumberland-booed-los-angeles-lakers-la-clippers-game
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

The Chargers and their players do a ton of charity work in the SD area and are very ingrained in the community. Listen to what guys like Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates, LT, Dan Fouts, etc. have to say about how they feel about San Diego and you'll see why some guys are emotional about leaving. Sure, it's a 2.5 hour drive but it's a VERY different city -- has much more of a "little big city" feel to it.

As an aside, the last couple sentences are probably why there's so many fans refusing to support the team in LA... SD is pretty much forgotten by the rest of the country, as "Southern CA" is generally viewed as interchangeable for Los Angeles by the media, despite SD being the 6th largest metro area in the country. Not saying LA is a terrible place by any means (I personally am very fond of LA), but that's how a lot of San Diegans see it.

My prediction is that this will be a huge black eye for Roger Goodell....if the Chargers fail miserably, they might just move the team back to San Diego.....
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18475653/los-angeles-chargers-jeff-cumberland-booed-los-angeles-lakers-la-clippers-game

You know it's bad when they boo the 3rd string Tight End
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18458717/san-diego-chargers-desperate-move-shot-nfl-vitality-2017

Maybe the NFL has a bigger problem on its hands.

Quote:
Now a weird year for the NFL just got weirder. If the Chargers do indeed move, and if owners approve the Raiders' move to Vegas in March, three teams will have relocated in a 14-month span. There will be plenty of blame to go around. Goodell will be the face of it, but internally, owners and executives will wonder if NFL executive Eric Grubman, the point man on stadiums, did an effective enough job of negotiating with San Diego officials. The owners will be viewed as vessels of greed; Spanos will be the one who in the end decided to pull the plug on a cherished home, his legacy a sunburned version of Art Modell's. But the lingering conflict goes beyond the relocations, beyond the logistics and into an area that is tougher to navigate if not solve, because there is no clear solution: What if the NFL simply matters less?

It's a question that goes beyond the ratings issues of 2016, a crisis that wasn't -- but still shook some owners as a premonition that the league's cultural supremacy might be at stake. All stadium deals are different, and it's especially difficult to build one in California, but given the stakes, it was revealing that the Chargers' November stadium ballot measure went down so badly, with only 43 percent in support of it. The city had a choice and it made it.

Now Los Angeles, which for two decades watched the weekend's two best games on TV, will watch the Rams and the Chargers. Owners publicly are bullish about Los Angeles as a two-team town; privately they're not so sure -- especially because owners don't want the one team that would do best there, the Raiders, to return to their old home, owning to Al Davis' burned bridges and the co-opting of real apparel by gangs. "How are the Chargers going to market themselves?" one team executive says. "'We didn't want to be here, but we're here, so buy some PSLs?'"

I think it's a boon for the NFL

Quote:
The Rams are now the third-most valuable franchise in the NFL. Before moving to Los Angeles, the Rams were only worth more then four other teams. Now, they're in the top-3.

Rams owner Stan Kroenke will never come out and say it, but a big reason he moved his team to Los Angeles is because there's almost no ceiling to the amount of profits Kroenke will be able to make there.
The Rams owner will basically be able to print his own money once his $1.86 billion stadium complex is up and running in Inglewood, California.
Although the stadium isn't expected to be finished until 2019, that doesn't mean Kroenke won't see any immediate financial benefits from his team's move to L.A.

Take the Rams' valuation, for instance. According to Michael Ozanian, the executive editor for Forbes, the franchise is already worth a lot more money, thanks to the move.

"It doubles the value of the team," Ozanian told the Washington Post this week.

That means the Rams' value shot up from $1.45 billion to $2.9 billion the minute the NFL made the move official. That also means the Rams are now the third-most valuable team in the NFL, behind only the Cowboys ($4 billion) and Patriots ($3.2 billion).

When Forbes released its annual rankings of most valuable NFL franchises back in September, the Rams were ranked 28th.

Also take into account the $550 mil relocation fee which gets allocated to the remaining 31 owners, what's there not to like?

Your 28th valuable team just jumped to no. 3, you pocket $17.8 mil every time a team moves, what's not to like?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Its also a huge reason why Spanos moved to LA as well. The franchise increases at least 1 billion in value coming into the LA market...so if he decides to sell in the future he won't lose anything. That being said he pretty much flushed down 55 years of history in San Diego down the toilet. Whether he will be successful in recreating the following in LA remains to be seen.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Its also a huge reason why Spanos moved to LA as well. The franchise increases at least 1 billion in value coming into the LA market...so if he decides to sell in the future he won't lose anything. That being said he pretty much flushed down 55 years of history in San Diego down the toilet. Whether he will be successful in recreating the following in LA remains to be seen.

I'm amazed at how profitable these moves are. I was reading this article and the Chargers move makes so much sense.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-chargers-pending-move-to-la-exposes-the-nfls-truth-when-it-comes-to-fans/ar-AAlMDDo?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCDHP

Quote:
But here's the sad, dirty truth: It doesn't matter if anyone goes to the games.

The Rams and Chargers are going to make more money with no one in the stands in Los Angeles than they ever could with full houses in the old stadiums of St. Louis and San Diego.

Quote:
The seat licenses earned the 49ers $530 million. The team also sold out their full allotment of luxury boxes, worth $400 million.

That's close to a billion dollar payday, and we're not even accounting for the increase in corporate sponsorships, parking costs (it adds up), in-stadium revenue, and the estimated $77 million annually from the actual sale of tickets (chump change).

In all, the 49ers were able to pay off their share of their new stadium and massively profit before the team even took the field.

Revenue jumped 160 percent, to $427 million, between 2013, the team's last year in Candlestick Park, to 2014, the first year in Levi's Stadium. The value of the 49ers franchise increased by nearly 70 percent ($1.6 billion to $2.7 billion) year-over-year as well, all because of the new digs.

Quote:
Build the stadium — it doesn't matter whether they actually come.

The NFL really doesn't need people in the stands for anything but optics. Fan money doesn't add up, corporate dollars do — and with the way the NFL and its teams do business, that corporate cash is going to be rolling in for decades

Quote:

It's terrible and gut wrenching that San Diego, a city that has supported and loved the Chargers for 55 years, will no longer have an NFL team to call their own, but Chargers owner Dean Spanos, with a single half-billion dollar move, has made at least $2 billion in profit.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Waiting to hear 100% that they're gone, but I'm incredibly sad right now.

Won't be the same not having a team from the city I was born and raised in to cheer for (don't care about baseball much and the Padres barely qualify as a professional team anyways)

So no different than the Chargers.

Well, the difference is the Chargers give themselves a chance and then choke all the time. The Padres are just pathetic

The Padres have been in the World Series twice. That's more than the 1 Super Bowl appearance the Chargers have made. In 98 they lost to the 114 win Yankee team. Neither team has much of a history.

San Diego really did blow it 10 years ago when they fired Marty and replaced him with Norv Turner. I also wonder how that team with Marty would have done if they kept Drew Brees. I never heard of a coach with a 14-2 record being fired after his team lost to the Patriots; that was nuts. I don't care about the playoff history Marty has; that was the most talented team he ever had and I still wonder if that cost them a championship.

audioaxes wrote:
why not send the Chargers to Vegas and bring the Raiders back?

I would expect the Raiders to be more successful and popular in Vegas than the Chargers. More importantly, the Raiders did try to move to LA a year ago at the same time the Rams and Chargers tried to move there.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

On the second issue, I can't imagine how either the Rams or the Chargers would sell themselves in LA. One team left, and the other didn't want to come. The assumption is that the sheer mass of population in LA will be enough to fill a stadium. History should not fill the Chargers with optimism.

I doubt people really cared that much about the Rams leaving before. The owner who moved the team has passed away. Younger fans either won't remember the Rams leaving, or will only remember the Rams being in Anaheim when they were bad. Most young people I know preferred the Raiders and still remained Raider fans after they left. The Rams had really small crowds in their games before they moved.

I guess some older fans would care, but LA has so many other options when it comes to sports and entertainment. Since the Rams left, the Lakers won 5 championships and made the Finals 7 times, the Angels, Ducks, Kings, and USC have all won 1 or 2 championships. The Dodgers haven't won but have made the playoffs several times and still have a history of winning. UCLA made 3 Final Fours and is a serious contender right now.

With all those championships and all that success, LA definitely isn't Cleveland (or Vegas, where the media is going nuts over having an expansion hockey team in the city). Fans in LA can definitely seem spoiled and are not going to be impressed unless the Rams/Chargers actually look like they can win. This is probably also a reason why the Clippers never seem popular. When the Lakers were busy winning titles I always thought the Clippers were a joke and that it would be a waste of time to watch them. I don't remember people being impressed simply because they were a major sports team that played in LA.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant had his entire career start after the NFL teams left, and his career ended just before a couple of teams came to LA. I'd gladly see the town get rid of the Rams and Chargers if it meant another Kobe would come along and win 5 rings for the Lakers. The Rams and Chargers have won a total of just 1 Super Bowl combined between the two of them.

To be fair the Rams had some good teams in the 70's but they lost a Super Bowl and lost 3 championship games in a row. They also lost a couple of championship games in the 80's but those teams were big underdogs in those games. They should have had more postseason success in the 70's.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Since it was a Clipper home game wouldn't it be the Laker treatment?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I'm amazed at how profitable these moves are. I was reading this article and the Chargers move makes so much sense.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-chargers-pending-move-to-la-exposes-the-nfls-truth-when-it-comes-to-fans/ar-AAlMDDo?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCDHP

Actually, that strikes me as a pretty stupid article.

The 49ers made their money on seat licenses, so it doesn't really matter if anyone showed up for the games. Um, what? Does the author know what a seat license is? You don't buy a seat license if you aren't planning to buy tickets.

The 49ers also made a ton of money on luxury boxes, so it doesn't really matter if anyone showed up for the games. Um, what? Does the author think that the luxury boxes are just advertising signs or that companies would buy them if no one wanted to go to the games?

The $77 million in ticket sales is "chump change." Um, what? That is $77 million per year, and the attendance generates all of the parking and concession revenue that the author mentioned.

"Build the stadium — it doesn't matter whether they actually come." Are you freaking kidding me? If that was true, the Rams would never have left LA in the first place. That article was a real face palmer.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Quote:
But here's the sad, dirty truth: It doesn't matter if anyone goes to the games.

The Rams and Chargers are going to make more money with no one in the stands in Los Angeles than they ever could with full houses in the old stadiums of St. Louis and San Diego.

Quote:
The seat licenses earned the 49ers $530 million. The team also sold out their full allotment of luxury boxes, worth $400 million.

That's close to a billion dollar payday, and we're not even accounting for the increase in corporate sponsorships, parking costs (it adds up), in-stadium revenue, and the estimated $77 million annually from the actual sale of tickets (chump change).

In all, the 49ers were able to pay off their share of their new stadium and massively profit before the team even took the field.

Revenue jumped 160 percent, to $427 million, between 2013, the team's last year in Candlestick Park, to 2014, the first year in Levi's Stadium. The value of the 49ers franchise increased by nearly 70 percent ($1.6 billion to $2.7 billion) year-over-year as well, all because of the new digs.

Quote:
Build the stadium — it doesn't matter whether they actually come.

The NFL really doesn't need people in the stands for anything but optics. Fan money doesn't add up, corporate dollars do — and with the way the NFL and its teams do business, that corporate cash is going to be rolling in for decades

Quote:

It's terrible and gut wrenching that San Diego, a city that has supported and loved the Chargers for 55 years, will no longer have an NFL team to call their own, but Chargers owner Dean Spanos, with a single half-billion dollar move, has made at least $2 billion in profit.

But won't all the PSL money just go to Stan Kroenke? I mean he's building the stadium with his money. Spanos is only paying $1 dollar rent at the City of Champions Stadium.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Last thing you need is an owner trying to take big chunks of hard earned tax payer money to fatten his own coffers. San Diego will be fine. LA had been without a team for 20+ years and no one i know missed it.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

i think he (Spanos) is going to have a tough time. The Rams have a lot more history here and people are more willing to be patient with the Rams than the Chargers. If the chargers don't get better in a hurry I can see attendance being weak, specially with the ticket prices they're likely to charge.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

i think he (Spanos) is going to have a tough time. The Rams have a lot more history here and people are more willing to be patient with the Rams than the Chargers. If the chargers don't get better in a hurry I can see attendance being weak, specially with the ticket prices they're likely to charge.

Yep, Rams already had a built in fanbase in LA. They remember going to the games with their parents or grandparents from their time here from 1946-1994. So they will have more patience with the team. Chargers have to build a brand new fanbase plus any of those fans that are sticking with them despite the move. Its also a big reason why they decided to use the Stubhub Center, filling 27k seats is a lot easier than filling the Coliseum.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: