Turntable owners

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Turntable owners

What do own, what do you recommend, which sites or stores should be avoided... I'll take an advice. I've been researching for weeks and am pretty much back to square one: buy a new Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC or Rega Planar 2.

Budget is $500-1000.
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Between the Project Carbon and the Rega P2, I would go with the Rega.

If you can stretch your budget, these are even better:
Rega P3 ~$1300 with cartridge
Clearaudio Concept ~$1600 with carttridge
Bang for the buck : Marantz TT 15S1 ~$1500 with a nice cartridge...

Music Direct and Needle Doctor are good choices to shop for for turntables.

I'm using a really old Lenco idler-drive turntable. Beats the crap out of most "modern" turntables...
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Still got a old 90's direct-drive Technics, which rarely ever gets any play, I'm in the process of establishing the worth of my 2000+ records so I can try and sell them...

There are a lot of TT's and reviews here:

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/analog-sources/turntables/pls_1597crx.aspx
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

I'd totally go second hand and vintage if not for the fear of being ripped off on ebay (hence the third part of that question). From what I've read there's less wow and flutter on the older tables, but the tonearms are superior on the new.

Two local thrift shops are actually selling Duals, but I've been told that brand is too finicky.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I'd totally go second hand and vintage if not for the fear of being ripped off on ebay (hence the third part of that question). From what I've read there's less wow and flutter on the older tables, but the tonearms are superior on the new.

Two local thrift shops are actually selling Duals, but I've been told that brand is too finicky.

That sounds like good reasoning. Either a Dual 1019 or a 1219 are workhorses--I owned both. I sold my 1019 to get a 1219, sold the 1219 to get a Thorens, sold the Thorens to get a straight-line tracking Rabco ST-6, and sold this to get a Rabco/Harmon Kardon ST-7, which I still own.

I don't know where the price break is today, but back in the day, spending over a few hundred dollars for a turntable was an example in diminished returns, if any.

Since my ST-7 is prone to acoustic feedback, at least in my environment, even though I don't use it, I'd be just as happy, maybe more, with either Dual. I can honestly say that if I stuck to the 1019, which presented zero problems, I would have been plenty happy, except for feeding my quest for the latest and the greatest. Back then, I was concerned with tracking error and record wear, which radial arms may (according to theory) or may not be more prone to, so I went to straight-line tracking models.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: