Would you want Jahlil Okafor if he was on the block?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you want Okafor if he becomes available?
YES
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
NO
55%
 55%  [ 16 ]
OTHER (explain)
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 29

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Would you want Jahlil Okafor if he was on the block?

Since the return of Embiid and Noel moved into the rotation playing time for Okafor has really dwindled. I think Phily will trade him before the February 23 Trade Deadline (3 p.m. ET). I don't know if they'll want to take on his salary, it'll be guaranteed. I think he'd be a deal at $4,788,840. I don't know how much the Lakers would be liable for.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Lakers offer Huertas, Young or Chalderon, plus a second round pick, plus remove the Top-3 protection of this years draft pick.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Lakers offer Huertas, Young or Chalderon, plus a second round pick, plus remove the Top-3 protection of this years draft pick.

I'd go with Huertas and Chalderon. I like Nicks play so far this season. He's sometimes been a igniter. Second rounder sounds doable. Remove Top-3 is stretching.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I'd go with Huertas and Chalderon. I like Nicks play so far this season. He's sometimes been a igniter. Second rounder sounds doable. Remove Top-3 is stretching.

I like Young too, but you have to dangle something of value to them, after all Okafer was the 3rd pick in the draft.

Huertas + a 2nd pick is actually an insult, Calderon is not really needed here, but has an expiring contract. Young has played great, but Clarkson can move back into the starting line-up, leaving Lou off the bench.

Also, the Lakers "owe" that pick and are gonna lose it sooner or later anyway, so removing the protection is a nice incentive for Philly, who can probably get more for Okafor from a dozen other teams...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
jodeke wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I like Young too, but you have to dangle something of value to them, after all Okafer was the 3rd pick in the draft.

Huertas + a 2nd pick is actually an insult, Calderon is not really needed here, but has an expiring contract. Young has played great, but Clarkson can move back into the starting line-up, leaving Lou off the bench.

Also, the Lakers "owe" that pick and are gonna lose it sooner or later anyway, so removing the protection is a nice incentive for Philly, who can probably get more for Okafor from a dozen other teams...

Why not make the carrot Clarkson? He's so inconsistent and loves ISO.
I bet they'd bite on Sweet Lou. I don't think the FO is that inept, though how they've handled this season it wouldn't surprise me.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Oy vey
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
jodeke wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Okafor is a 3rd pick in the draft whose team has been better when he doesn't play. He doesn't address any of our weaknesses. Calderon's ending contract would be about as far as I would go. Maybe try to get involved in a 3-way where someone else gets Okafor and we get another piece. JO isn't a bad player by any means, he just isn't a good fit in today's game. As a scoring big off the bench he might be a good fit, though.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
jodeke wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Okafor is a 3rd pick in the draft whose team has been better when he doesn't play. He doesn't address any of our weaknesses. Calderon's ending contract would be about as far as I would go. Maybe try to get involved in a 3-way where someone else gets Okafor and we get another piece. JO isn't a bad player by any means, he just isn't a good fit in today's game. As a scoring big off the bench he might be a good fit, though.

I wanted Okafor instead of DLO. I'm of the school that builds from the front court out. Golden State is one in a million. They're making it a small mans game. I believe it will evolve back to a big mans game. Not as exciting but I think a proven winning commodity.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

IF we could get him for something like Huertas, and removing the top 3 protection on our pick, then I'd be all for it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
jodeke wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I wanted Okafor instead of DLO. I'm of the school that builds from the front court out. Golden State is one in a million. They're making it a small mans game. I believe it will evolve back to a big mans game. Not as exciting but I think a proven winning commodity.

I'm of the school that builds from talent.

Okafor is OK. He'll get you a lot of point, but he won't rebound or defend well. On the right team, he could be an OK piece, but I don't see him being a key piece to a good team.

I think Okafor and Randle would be terrible -- might as well not even bother to run back and play defense.

if we got him for cheap, he'll improve us, but I question whether it will lead to significant longterm improvement. But, sure, I'd take him for a bargain price.

Last edited by activeverb on Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Oy vey

Why does that exasperate you?

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Oy vey

Because you don't like that Clarkson is inconsistent and is too much of an ISO player and your solution is Jahlil Okafor.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

I want nothing to do with Okafor.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
I want nothing to do with Okafor.

You have this in common with the Sixers.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Oy vey

Because you don't like that Clarkson is inconsistent and is too much of an ISO player and your solution is Jahlil Okafor.

Where did I say Okafor is a solution. I said I'm of the school who likes building from the front court out. You're saying I think he's a solution, not me. I said Clarkson was a trade piece to dangle.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Oy vey

Where did I say Okafor is a solution. I said I'm of the school who likes building from the front court out. You're saying I think he's a solution, not me. I said Clarkson was a trade piece.

If you want to trade a piece because of certain negative attributes, it's probably unwise to trade them for a player that is even worse at the same attributes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Oy vey

Where did I say Okafor is a solution. I said I'm of the school who likes building from the front court out. You're saying I think he's a solution, not me. I said Clarkson was a trade piece.

If you want to trade a piece because of certain negative attributes, it's probably unwise to trade them for a player that is even worse at the same attributes.

Well let me be specific. I don't like Clarkson's game. His selfishness is more a detriment than a asset in my eyes. I've seen on more than one occasion I thought he should have passed instead of playing ISO. I've also seen what I consider poor 3pt shot selection.

I don't post a lot in the game thread because I read so much negativity, I lurk. My dislike is not mine alone on the points I mentioned.
Quote:
pathetic jsut pathetic.
Quote:
Clarkson taking the worst shots in the league again. Swing the ball, find the open man and it will work out in the end.
Quote:
clarkson and his will to not pass

He needs to be benched until he swings the ball. Completely unacceptable.
Quote:
Clarkson no effort on defense can't stay with his men.

Randle the same undersized as well.
Quote:
Tarik, Trob, Clarkson probably some of the stupidest basketball players ive ever watched

This is the biggest problem i see as well. IQ is just so bad. Specially Clarkson he is so stupid.

Just a few of many posts about Clarkson's play. My mention of Clarkson as a trade piece was a reply to unleasHell's trade choices

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
jodeke wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Okafor is OK. He'll get you a lot of point, but he won't rebound or defend well. On the right team, he could be an OK piece, but I don't see him being a key piece to a good team.

I think Okafor and Randle would be terrible -- might as well not even bother to run back and play defense.

if we got him for cheap, he'll improve us, but I question whether it will lead to significant longterm improvement. But, sure, I'd take him for a bargain price.
Of course talent is priority. I don't think Okafor is playing to his true potential. I don't think he wants to play in Philly. It was rumored he wanted to be a Laker.

His not playing to his potential doesn't speak well of his professionalism. I believe we'd see different Jahlil. Also his age is a plus.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject:

They went 5-1 with him gathering DNP's. They started him today. He put up the gaudy stats.

Guess what? Got their asses kicked by the Wizards today.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
They went 5-1 with him gathering DNP's. They started him today. He put up the gaudy stats.

Guess what? Got their asses kicked by the Wizards today.

Showcasing him for trade leverage ... ? I admit, I'm not following his journey that closely any more, but those DNPs must be exasperating for a 21 year old.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
jodeke wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Of course talent is priority. I don't think Okafor is playing to his true potential. I don't think he wants to play in Philly. It was rumored he wanted to be a Laker.

His not playing to his potential doesn't speak well of his professionalism. I believe we'd see different Jahlil. Also his age is a plus.

Okafor is what he is. I see him easily becoming an 18-9 guy, who plays below average defense, on a team that will be average at best. And he'll make $15+ million doing it. To me, he's not a guy you build around; he's a guy you settle for.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, people will see "He got 26 points and 9 boards, shot over 50% fromt he field..."

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Yeah, people will see "He got 26 points and 9 boards, shot over 50% fromt he field..."

That's how he plays when he gets the minutes. He played 35 tonight. I imagine it's frustrating and hard to get a rhythm not knowing if you're going to play or not.

How many good defensive C are in the league today?

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

That's how he plays when he gets the minutes. He played 35 tonight. I imagine it's frustrating and hard to get a rhythm not knowing if you're going to play or not.

Better question. How many Cs help facilitate a better offense today?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Better question. How many Cs help facilitate a better offense today?

There are no more Bill Walton's. Today's game is all about me. Everybody want to score. That's what makes GS so hard to beat, they're very unselfish.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: