Now it's the Raiders' Turn
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
music you'd hear at a party attended by a bunch of homies wearing raiders gear

The indoor swap meet theme music!!!
gblews
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
Really hope there's an 11th hour deal to keep em in Oakland as that's where they belong.

But, if not, I'll still be rolling with them. Been a fan for 25 years...won't be jumping ship now.

Though, ideally, they'd be the ones in LA over the freakin' Chargers.

Amen. There is no way the Chargers should be in L.A. over the Raiders. It happened because the NFL likes the Spanos family and doesn't like the Davis family. Pity. I like them just fine in Oakland, but if they had to leave and they felt like they did, then I wish they'd have been allowed to move to L.A.

One other thing, I feel for the Vegas community fronting the money that is supposed to come from the hotel tax. In about 20 years or so, (if things haven't changed), Mark Davis is likely to tell them that he can't stay there unless he gets a new state of the art stadium. Hopefully they will have com to their senses by then and tell Mark to pay for it himself or hit the road.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Since the NFL and NHL now will have teams in Vegas, does this mean the MLB and NBA might consider relocation in the future. It used to be that they didn't want to be anywhere near Las Vegas because of the gambling aspect.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

gblews wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
Really hope there's an 11th hour deal to keep em in Oakland as that's where they belong.

But, if not, I'll still be rolling with them. Been a fan for 25 years...won't be jumping ship now.

Amen. There is no way the Chargers should be in L.A. over the Raiders. It happened because the NFL likes the Spanos family and doesn't like the Davis family. Pity. I like them just fine in Oakland, but if they had to leave and they felt like they did, then I wish they'd have been allowed to move to L.A.

One other thing, I feel for the Vegas community fronting the money that is supposed to come from the hotel tax. In about 20 years or so, (if things haven't changed), Mark Davis is likely to tell them that he can't stay there unless he gets a new state of the art stadium. Hopefully they will have com to their senses by then and tell Mark to pay for it himself or hit the road.

NFL didn't want the Raiders back in LA because of the association with street gangs and them using the Raider colors to represent them. Yeah, it sucks since the Raiders have far more fans in LA than the Chargers. I don't think they will leave after 20 years since the stadium will be state of the art. The Oakland Coliseum is nearly 50 years old. They only went back last time because of the addition of luxury boxes, but the rest of the stadium was already pretty dated. I think at time they were considering adding luxury boxes to the LA Coliseum but the Northridge Earthquake meant that football took a backseat to rebuilding the city. For LA Raider fans, moving to Vegas will mean the commute with be about 2 hours shorter than to Oakland. So after 2019, looks like Oakland will only have the A's to cheer for as the Warriors are moving across the Bay.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
gblews wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

NFL didn't want the Raiders back in LA because of the association with street gangs and them using the Raider colors to represent them. Yeah, it sucks since the Raiders have far more fans in LA than the Chargers. I don't think they will leave after 20 years since the stadium will be state of the art. The Oakland Coliseum is nearly 50 years old. They only went back last time because of the addition of luxury boxes, but the rest of the stadium was already pretty dated. I think at time they were considering adding luxury boxes to the LA Coliseum but the Northridge Earthquake meant that football took a backseat to rebuilding the city. For LA Raider fans, moving to Vegas will mean the commute with be about 2 hours shorter than to Oakland. So after 2019, looks like Oakland will only have the A's to cheer for as the Warriors are moving across the Bay.

I disagree with this, but if this was true, it is a VERY stupid reason. This Raiders-gang connection crap died out in the 90's. You don't see gangsters in L.A. walking around in Raider gear anymore. The ones who did are 50+ years old now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

sickside323 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
gblews wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

I disagree with this, but if this was true, it is a VERY stupid reason. This Raiders-gang connection crap died out in the 90's. You don't see gangsters in L.A. walking around in Raider gear anymore. The ones who did are 50+ years old now.

It was very prevalent in hip hop culture in the 80's and 90's. The NFL hated it and a big reason why they didn't want the Raiders back in LA.
gblews
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
sickside323 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
gblews wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

It was very prevalent in hip hop culture in the 80's and 90's. The NFL hated it and a big reason why they didn't want the Raiders back in LA.

This simply isn't true. If you have some recent info that confirms this, please refer us to that info.

After the meeting last year where the league voted to allow the Rams to move to L.A. and the Chargers first right of refusal, the owner of the Texans was quoted as stating that the reason he (and apparently several other owners who voted against the Carson deal) vetoed Carson was because the Raiders sued the NFL (about 25 years ago), and Spanos had not. He said, that was why "the Raiders get nothing".

This was vote was strictly about money (Kroenke) and loyalty (the Spanos family).

The only thing the league cares about with respect to who wears their gear, is whether or not it's stolen or counterfit.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

gblews wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
sickside323 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
gblews wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

This simply isn't true. If you have some recent info that confirms this, please refer us to that info.

After the meeting last year where the league voted to allow the Rams to move to L.A. and the Chargers first right of refusal, the owner of the Texans was quoted as stating that the reason he (and apparently several other owners who voted against the Carson deal) vetoed Carson was because the Raiders sued the NFL (about 25 years ago), and Spanos had not. He said, that was why "the Raiders get nothing".

This was vote was strictly about money (Kroenke) and loyalty (the Spanos family).

The only thing the league cares about with respect to who wears their gear, is whether or not it's stolen or counterfit.

Everything I said was true.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/11/most-owners-wanted-to-keep-raiders-from-returning-to-l-a/

Quote:
It’s been believed that the Raiders would be welcomed back enthusiastically by fans in L.A., perhaps even more enthusiastically than the Rams have been welcomed back. The notion that owners are concerned that the Raiders would be welcomed back too enthusiastically by a specific type of criminal element, coupled with the linger animosity toward Al Davis, suggests that, even if the Chargers don’t move to L.A., the league will find a way to keep the Raiders from making their way back to town.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14752649/the-real-story-nfl-owners-battle-bring-football-back-los-angeles

Quote:
Most owners wanted to avoid a Raiders return to Los Angeles, owing to Al Davis' burned bridges and the co-opting of the team apparel by gangs, concerns so deep that some wouldn't even consider Carson. "It's hard to get owners to move," Iger says now. "Each one is a boss in his own right."
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/28/nevada-businessman-plans-a-raiders-themed-brothel/

Quote:
Nevada businessman plans a Raiders-themed brothel

Just sin, baby.

The Raiders’ upcoming move to Las Vegas is being greeted with open arms — or something — by one enterprising Nevada businessman.

According to Mick Akers of the Las Vegas Sun, Nevada brothel owner Dennis Hof announced plans to open a Raiders-themed establishment called “Pirate’s Booty.”

“I’ve had a license for a seventh brothel near Las Vegas for some time now, but I was waiting for the right time to launch another house of debauchery,” Hof said. “The Raiders coming to Vegas will mean big business for me, so my next sex den will honor the ‘Men in Black’ and their ‘Raider Nation.’”

(In a related note, Hall of Famer and former Raider Warren Sapp is plotting a comeback as we speak.)

The house of ill repute will be 90 miles outside of Las Vegas in Crystal. Hof said Raiders players and staff will get 50 percent off at his establishments, and there will be a VIP section at staffed with “over 20 cheerleader-garbed working girls.”

So now, at least someone other than fans in Oakland will be getting, … oh, never mind.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Stephen Ross was the lone holdout voting against the Raiders move.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Everything I said was true.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/11/most-owners-wanted-to-keep-raiders-from-returning-to-l-a/

Quote:
It’s been believed that the Raiders would be welcomed back enthusiastically by fans in L.A., perhaps even more enthusiastically than the Rams have been welcomed back. The notion that owners are concerned that the Raiders would be welcomed back too enthusiastically by a specific type of criminal element, coupled with the linger animosity toward Al Davis, suggests that, even if the Chargers don’t move to L.A., the league will find a way to keep the Raiders from making their way back to town.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14752649/the-real-story-nfl-owners-battle-bring-football-back-los-angeles

Quote:
Most owners wanted to avoid a Raiders return to Los Angeles, owing to Al Davis' burned bridges and the co-opting of the team apparel by gangs, concerns so deep that some wouldn't even consider Carson. "It's hard to get owners to move," Iger says now. "Each one is a boss in his own right."

They are EXTREMELY out of touch, then.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Since the NFL and NHL now will have teams in Vegas, does this mean the MLB and NBA might consider relocation in the future. It used to be that they didn't want to be anywhere near Las Vegas because of the gambling aspect.

I think that, besides the gambling, MLB might be hesitant to locate a team in another high-elevation city. Doesn't affect the other sports the way it does baseball.
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject:

It was high time the Raiders got a state of the art Stadium to give their players, coaches and fans. The most loyal fans in American sports.

They could've moved to Siberia and we would've followed them via the Sunday ticket and tried to make it out to a game or two a year.

My heart goes out to the Raider fans in Oakland, I went through what they are about to go through a second time as a kid and it ripped my guts out, but I stuck with them.

There's an old adage, "Once a Raider always a Raider", which is regularly used when discussing players and coaches, but it's also true when it comes to the fans. (A very small fraction of which I'm unfortunately ashamed to be associated with at times Admittedly)

I think every Raider fan deep in their hearts and souls wishes their new stadium was being built somewhere in the East Bay, It's where they began and belong. However, the city of Oakland couldn't get it done, they had plenty of time, and failed when push came to shove.

I for one am happy about the move, if not Oakland, and if not Los Angeles, I couldn't think of a better place to watch the Raiders flourish.

When the late old crazy rambling shell of his former brilliant self Al Davis uttered the words "The greatness of the Raiders is in it's future" after shutting down the overhead projector to wrap up a cringe worthy press conference, he was actually speaking the truth.

Vegas Baby.

Just win baby!

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

MAJIC wrote:
It was high time the Raiders got a state of the art Stadium to give their players, coaches and fans. The most loyal fans in American sports.

They could've moved to Siberia and we would've followed them via the Sunday ticket and tried to make it out to a game or two a year.

My heart goes out to the Raider fans in Oakland, I went through what they are about to go through a second time as a kid and it ripped my guts out, but I stuck with them.

There's an old adage, "Once a Raider always a Raider", which is regularly used when discussing players and coaches, but it's also true when it comes to the fans. (A very small fraction of which I'm unfortunately ashamed to be associated with at times Admittedly)

I think every Raider fan deep in their hearts and souls wishes their new stadium was being built somewhere in the East Bay, It's where they began and belong. However, the city of Oakland couldn't get it done, they had plenty of time, and failed when push came to shove.

I for one am happy about the move, if not Oakland, and if not Los Angeles, I couldn't think of a better place to watch the Raiders flourish.

When the late old crazy rambling shell of his former brilliant self Al Davis uttered the words "The greatness of the Raiders is in it's future" after shutting down the overhead projector to wrap up a cringe worthy press conference, he was actually speaking the truth.

Vegas Baby.

Just win baby!

They were the last team to play in a multi-purpose stadium. I'm surprised they didn't move sooner as it was rather crappy seeing them play in a stadium that was obviously being used for MLB games during the early part of the season. While its sad they are moving away from their roots, it was pretty obvious Oakland could no longer afford to keep the team while parts of the town resembled a war zone.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

I predict NFL TV ratings continue to drop next season.

Pretty sure the tipping point has been reached.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I predict NFL TV ratings continue to drop next season.

Pretty sure the tipping point has been reached.

Not really a surprise....every sport will have its peaks and valleys....happened to NASCAR, NBA, NHL, MLB, and now the NFL. Eventually a sport will take its fans for granted and oversaturate the product and the casual fans will move onto the next big thing. I'm pretty sure the NFL started alienating a lot of their fans when they started putting annual games in London which made it very hard for the casual fans to get up to 6am to watch a game....moving teams around and expecting the fans to just roll over and follow the teams to the next city is asking for a lot.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: