Witnessed a Robbery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Witnessed a Robbery

Just witnessed what I think was a robbery in front of my neighbors driveway, on the sidewalk. Was going to my car to go to the store, and I see three guys with their faces covered in bandanas saying "Give me your wallet. (bleep), give me your wallet." I immediately went back into my house, locked up and called 911. I was hoping they didn't see me - not sure if they did or didn't.

I initially told the operator that I would prefer to talk to the cops on the phone, as I didn't want to risk one of the perpetuators seeing me talk to them, but the 911 operator called me back, and asked if I could talk to them outside, and I did.

What worries me is that the cop said that no victim had called in yet (at that point, it was 30 minutes after my initial call). I'm hoping that it wasn't a bunch of friends playing around or something.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject:

If they didn't want to talk to me on the phone there would be no conversation. If there was a report they usually go house to house asking if anyone saw anything so you should be safe.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

I was renting a shack of a studio in a town called Bay Point about 8 years ago. It was a real (bleep) hole but was cheap and a stone's throw away from Bart.

One night I was on the porch and I saw three guys hop out of a car wearing masks and run into one of the nearby houses where an elderly lady lived. I was terrified and immediately called the sheriff's department. It took them 30 minutes to get there and when they arrived they drove by, shined the light and drove off. I probably called 4 or 5 times after that but nothing..

I didn't sleep all night and first thing the next morning I went to investigate. Her front gate was locked and I didn't see anything abnormal. I had to work so I left.

I moved out 2 weeks later. Never saw the elderly lady or heard anything from any of the neighbors. Was almost like I'd imagined the whole thing.

Anyway, your story reminded me of mine. Idk, if you know the people, maybe walk over and see if everything is OK?
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
If they didn't want to talk to me on the phone there would be no conversation. If there was a report they usually go house to house asking if anyone saw anything so you should be safe.

Only on TV.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Only on TV.

No so. A neighbor of mine when I live on 8th Ave, a middle class neighborhood, Eddie Anderson's (Rochester, Jack Benny's sidekick) wife was a neighbor.

The house across the street from me was robbed. I didn't see or hear anything.

About 2;00am I heard a knock at my door, woke me up. I answered, it was LAPD. They wanted to know if I'd seen or heard anything. As I said I hadn't heard anything.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Only on TV.

No so. A neighbor of mine when I live on 8th Ave, a middle class neighborhood, Eddie Anderson's (Rochester, Jack Benny's sidekick) wife was a neighbor.

The house across the street from me was robbed. I didn't see or hear anything.

About 2;00am I heard a knock at my door, woke me up. I answered, it was LAPD. They wanted to know if I'd seen or heard anything. As I said I hadn't heard anything.

Makes sense. The 20's were an amazing area, heard they were roaring actually. Aah, the stories you must have my dinosaur of a friend
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
I was renting a shack of a studio in a town called Bay Point about 8 years ago. It was a real (bleep) hole but was cheap and a stone's throw away from Bart.

One night I was on the porch and I saw three guys hop out of a car wearing masks and run into one of the nearby houses where an elderly lady lived. I was terrified and immediately called the sheriff's department. It took them 30 minutes to get there and when they arrived they drove by, shined the light and drove off. I probably called 4 or 5 times after that but nothing..

I didn't sleep all night and first thing the next morning I went to investigate. Her front gate was locked and I didn't see anything abnormal. I had to work so I left.

I moved out 2 weeks later. Never saw the elderly lady or heard anything from any of the neighbors. Was almost like I'd imagined the whole thing.

Anyway, your story reminded me of mine. Idk, if you know the people, maybe walk over and see if everything is OK?

It's possible that the same happens to me...I guess we'll see. If they were just some kids fooling around, I don't know, but it did look/sound like a robbery. I didn't walk over to see if everything was alright, because I was concerned with my safety, and went back to my house, and lock up, as fast as possible.

I have a lot of respect for 911 operators and police officer's time, in general. The last thing I would want to do is take their time if I didn't think I had a serious issue.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
If they were just some kids fooling around, I don't know, but it did look/sound like a robbery.

If they were just some kids fooling around like that, they deserve a 911 call and a take down by the PD to knock some common sense into their dumbasses.

There's nothing funny about faking a crime and there's a whole lot of risk for participants and bystanders alike.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

It's possible that the same happens to me...I guess we'll see. If they were just some kids fooling around, I don't know, but it did look/sound like a robbery. I didn't walk over to see if everything was alright, because I was concerned with my safety, and went back to my house, and lock up, as fast as possible.

I have a lot of respect for 911 operators and police officer's time, in general. The last thing I would want to do is take their time if I didn't think I had a serious issue.

I did the same in that situation. Locked myself inside and waited it out, you really have no other option. If this just happened and it's still dark outside I'd advise you just stay put.

Unless you're a trained ninja, then you should be kicking ass and not posting on LG

I'd knock on the door tomorrow. If anything you get to meet your neighbor and maybe talk through what you saw.

I know everyone on my block and interact with them daily, we all feel pretty safe knowing we can rely on each other when stuff like this happens. The best feeling is knowing you're not alone.

Be safe dude, have a drink and watch some TV.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Curious as to what happened.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Witnessed a Robbery

leor_77 wrote:

What worries me is that the cop said that no victim had called in yet (at that point, it was 30 minutes after my initial call). I'm hoping that it wasn't a bunch of friends playing around or something.

You did the right thing even if it were idiot teens. Watch enough Forensic Files for proof of that. Plenty of cases involving someone who saw something, but didn't report out of due diligence because they doubted what they had actually witnessed. Come to find out, what they actually witnessed was actually BAD. Besides, robbers would prefer to strike when they thought no one else was looking (lest they're the stupid kind).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: