We refuse to feed tank and 2017 draft threads Club
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: We refuse to feed tank and 2017 draft threads Club

Stop the bleeding, enough is enough.

We shouldn't support the losing culture going forward.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject:

I agree, even though I think the playoffs are a lost cause.

For me, the ideal game is the Orlando one, where our main 3 (Randle, Russell, Ingram) all played very well... and the team even played defense to boot.

If that all happens, no way the Lakers end up tanking. For that reason, I can't be aboard tanking. If you want to tank, you want our young guys to play badly (or at least one or two of them).
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject:

What do you mean by tanking? Pretty sure we're trying to win these games, we just suck right now because our best players are like 20 years old. I don't see the problem of looking at draft prospects considering we have like a 25% chance of retaining our pick currently. I bet Mitch is wanting to win games too, it's not stoping him from doing hw on prospects. Not like we can will this team to more victories by not discussing the possibility of keeping the draft pick. If by tanking you mean trade lou for something that can help the future, or by trading moz or deng for something that gives us more cap flexibility going forward, or playing the young guys a little more mins, then count me in for the tank, although I think that's just considered making smart moves for the future of the franchise. Not sure what you mean by feeding the tank.
Vesper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

I'm sure Mitch is weighing in on our draft picks more than winning a few more games.

Losing 2 first round picks vs winning a few games should be a very easy decision for the front office
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

Vesper wrote:
I'm sure Mitch is weighing in on our draft picks more than winning a few more games.

Losing 2 first round picks vs winning a few games should be a very easy decision for the front office

You mean at best, a coin flip chance?

Assail him or not, I think the FO is actually focusing on winning games more than lottery balls at this point.

I don't get the notion that a top 3 pick is such a guarantee.
Vesper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

DO YOU know what our record is now?

YOU know we are fighting for worst team in the west right?

You also know that we going to lose our 2017 and 2019 first round picks right?

You also know that Nick Young can opt out right?

THe players won't try to lose, but the FO can definitely try to. TOO much to lose and very little to gain
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

This is tankcity baby either get used to it or find another team
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:

Vesper wrote:

THe players won't try to lose, but the FO can definitely try to. TOO much to lose and very little to gain

We know those things, and we still realize that it would be really dumb for the front office to try and lose.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject:

Vesper wrote:

A team tanks by the front office/coaching staff putting together a roster and lineups designed to lose.

I don't see that happening.

We're losing organically through lack of talent, particularly on the defensive end.

No matter how Luke fiddles with the lineup, I don't see any approach that will inherently make us more likely to win or lose, so I'm not sure why people are getting so worked up with the tanking talk -- other than people who think tanking just means losing.
BIKinstonFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

No need to tank. The way they play defense is guaranteed bottom 3.

+ we don't know what kind of effort is Russell going to bring night in/night out
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Vesper wrote:

We know those things, and we still realize that it would be really dumb for the front office to try and lose.

Right now the FO is living in the moment and trying to win. I dont agree I think the FO living in the moment is what got us here.

I would trade lou and nick asap.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

Agree 100% with the OP! No more loosing by coaching or moving players to try to loose.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

Vesper wrote:

Yes to all. Again, it's a lottery, not a guarantee. I've shown you how in the past 5 drafts, 4 teams in the bottom 3 fell out of the top 3 (and again, past performance has nothing to do with how things pan out this year).

This FO will not deliberately TANK, i.e. start Calderon/Huertas/MWP/Robinson/Black and completely bench/shut down youngsters.

If we lose organically, i.e., playing our young core a ton of minutes, then I happily accept whatever the outcome is.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Vesper wrote:

Right now the FO is living in the moment and trying to win. I dont agree I think the FO living in the moment is what got us here.

So would I. I just wouldn't consider that tanking
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Vesper wrote:

Thats interesting we would do the same thing. Why wouldn't you consider that tanking?
Vesper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Vesper wrote:

Yes to all. Again, it's a lottery, not a guarantee. I've shown you how in the past 5 drafts, 4 teams in the bottom 3 fell out of the top 3 (and again, past performance has nothing to do with how things pan out this year).

This FO will not deliberately TANK, i.e. start Calderon/Huertas/MWP/Robinson/Black and completely bench/shut down youngsters.

If we lose organically, i.e., playing our young core a ton of minutes, then I happily accept whatever the outcome is.

Thats the same thing as tanking imo.

For example, letting Zubac start the rest of the way is literally tanking for us.

Or letting DLO heal his knees and starting JC to raise his trade value is tanking.
Vesper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Vesper wrote:

Thats interesting we would do the same thing. Why wouldn't you consider that tanking?

There just being PC.

Trading Louwill and young is tanking the season, especially how important both were to us this season
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Vesper wrote:

I dont think its the coaches/players job to tank. The FO should drive the tank where it needs to go, asking the coaches/players seems unrealistic.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

Vesper wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Vesper wrote:

For example, letting Zubac start the rest of the way is literally tanking for us.

Or letting DLO heal his knees and starting JC to raise his trade value is tanking.

Not really. If you're playing your young core and developing good habits and competing, and still end up with a bottom record, that is more acceptable than blatantly tanking.

One can argue that Zub may just be as effective as Moz on the floor. The point is, blatant tanking in our situation would be to start Calderon/Huertas/MWP, and not DLO/JC/Ingram/Randle/Zub. Arguably that latter lineup may do better or just as well as our current starting group.

I think you should give up your hope that DLO/Ingram "rest" and "work out" while collecting paychecks. That's the exact opposite of progress.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

Detroit loss was the tipping point for me. Season over. Tank away.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Vesper wrote:

I dont think its the coaches/players job to tank. The FO should drive the tank where it needs to go, asking the coaches/players seems unrealistic.

And the FO isn't going to do that IMO, especially with the possibility that Jim/Mitch's jobs may be on the line. What is it to them if they tank so their successor gets the spoils.
Vesper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Vesper wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Vesper wrote:

Not really. If you're playing your young core and developing good habits and competing, and still end up with a bottom record, that is more acceptable than blatantly tanking.

One can argue that Zub may just be as effective as Moz on the floor. The point is, blatant tanking in our situation would be to start Calderon/Huertas/MWP, and not DLO/JC/Ingram/Randle/Zub. Arguably that latter lineup may do better or just as well as our current starting group.

I think you should give up your hope that DLO/Ingram "rest" and "work out" while collecting paychecks. That's the exact opposite of progress.

DLO needs rest. His knees have been hurting him forever and the Lakers always rush him everytime he gets injured calling him out publicly. ZUBAC is nowhere near MOzgov. Only people that think this are just giving him the benefit of doubt because he's a rookie.

FOr example, trading louwill/Young and starting for example

JC
either lou will/young
ingram
Randle
Zubac

IS TANKING. WHY? Cause everyone knows they going to lose and it doesn't give us the best chance of winning now. You also raise the trade values of other guys

Our team needs to be reconstucted for Luke this summer and that includes trading some of the young core away
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

Vesper wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Vesper wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Vesper wrote:

DLO needs rest. His knees have been hurting him forever and the Lakers always rush him everytime he gets injured calling him out publicly. ZUBAC is nowhere near MOzgov. Only people that think this are just giving him the benefit of doubt because he's a rookie.

FOr example, trading louwill/Young and starting for example

JC
either lou will/young
ingram
Randle
Zubac

IS TANKING. WHY? Cause everyone knows they going to lose and it doesn't give us the best chance of winning now. You also raise the trade values of other guys

Our team needs to be reconstucted for Luke this summer and that includes trading some of the young core away

Sigh. That's my point. If you play the young guys, we may actually do better or the same as we are playing now.

That's not blatant tanking. If you want to be the worst team in the NBA and have the mythical top 3 pick this year, you better start Calderon/Huertas/MWP. That's the only way to assure a bottom 3. That lineup you have above may keep us close to where we are.

And no, they are not going to shelve DLO unless he is truly injured, which he is not.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

Vesper wrote:

I am sure you are wrong (again). We won't pollute the tank thread, so keep you losing ass out of this one.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

Vesper wrote:

just not smart to put energy into raising the trade value of a player you do not wish to trade
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: