Laker players not among stat leaders

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Laker players not among stat leaders

Just in case anybody is still excited about this team's prospects, I have spent a little time looking at league stat leaders, and discovered the following:

1. No Laker is in the top ten in anything, so far as I can determine.

2. Our best performance is Nick Young in 3-point percentage, in which he is running 12th. Way to go, Swaggy!

3. The worst, and perhaps a key to understanding how bad our defense is, is in blocked shots, where Tarik Black, playing 15 minutes per game, is 77th. at a measly 0.55 bpg. True, Nance would be slightly higher if he qualified, but still, that is horrible.

4. The rest are as follows: D-Lo is our leader in steals, at 1.28, which ranks 37th in the league, and is also our best assist man, at 4.6, for 33rd. That stat alone tells a lot, since there are only 30 teams. Randle is a respectable 18th in rebounds (8.7), and is 30th in field goal % (.488). In scoring, Lou is 43rd, at 17.6 ppg.

Yes, last I heard, Lou was leading the league in bench scoring, which I guess is good, considering he's our leading scorer. Still, it's hard to imagine a team competing for a playoff spot when not one player, in any category, is top ten, and when we're so far down as we are in most categories. I do appreciate that we've got a lot of young guys, and they'll develop, but I hope next year we can see some star-level stats being put up.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Still, it's hard to imagine a team competing for a playoff spot when not one player, in any category, is top ten, and when we're so far down as we are in most categories.

...we aren't competing for a playoff spot...
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

You don't need stats to see this team is not very good lol
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker players not among stat leaders

Richcbt wrote:
Just in case anybody is still excited about this team's prospects, I have spent a little time looking at league stat leaders, and discovered the following:

2. Our best performance is Nick Young in 3-point percentage, in which he is running 12th. Way to go, Swaggy!

3. The worst, and perhaps a key to understanding how bad our defense is, is in blocked shots, where Tarik Black, playing 15 minutes per game, is 77th. at a measly 0.55 bpg. True, Nance would be slightly higher if he qualified, but still, that is horrible.

4. The rest are as follows: D-Lo is our leader in steals, at 1.28, which ranks 37th in the league, and is also our best assist man, at 4.6, for 33rd. That stat alone tells a lot, since there are only 30 teams. Randle is a respectable 18th in rebounds (8.7), and is 30th in field goal % (.488). In scoring, Lou is 43rd, at 17.6 ppg.

Yes, last I heard, Lou was leading the league in bench scoring, which I guess is good, considering he's our leading scorer. Still, it's hard to imagine a team competing for a playoff spot when not one player, in any category, is top ten, and when we're so far down as we are in most categories. I do appreciate that we've got a lot of young guys, and they'll develop, but I hope next year we can see some star-level stats being put up.

Most players don't even peak until they reach 27-28. and most won't start showing consistent signs of stardom until 24-25.

Ingram: 19
DLo: 20
Randle: 22
Zubac: 19

How this concept is so hard to understand to some of you impatient chicken-littles is beyond me...
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker players not among stat leaders

Batguano wrote:
Richcbt wrote:

Most players don't even peak until they reach 27-28. and most won't start showing consistent signs of stardom until 24-25.

How this concept is so hard to understand to some of you impatient chicken-littles is beyond me...

This impatient chicken-little has been watching Laker basketball since the early 60's, and has been a season-ticket holder since the early Showtime era. I'm not saying our young guys aren't decent players, but I don't see star quality in any of them. Look at the stats of some of the greats, and you see some big numbers early on. Kobe and Lebron were both putting up 20 ppg at age 20, and Magic was an 18 ppg, 7 assist, and 7 rpg guy his rookie year, when he was all of 20 (not to mention 2.4 steals per game).

Now, I know folks aren't saying these guys are going to all-time greats, but I would like to know which young Laker looks like a future All-Star, to you?
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker players not among stat leaders

Batguano wrote:
Richcbt wrote:

For those of us who grew up without cell phones, drive thrus, microwaves, and the other instant devices of gratification, its easier for us to understand the folks who didn't have to wait for an important call, to walk in to a place and wait to get our food, or to wait for food to be properly prepared.

Those who grew up with all of these (and more I can name) don't know what patience looks like. Simple as that.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker players not among stat leaders

Richcbt wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Richcbt wrote:

This impatient chicken-little has been watching Laker basketball since the early 60's, and has been a season-ticket holder since the early Showtime era. I'm not saying our young guys aren't decent players, but I don't see star quality in any of them. Look at the stats of some of the greats, and you see some big numbers early on. Kobe and Lebron were both putting up 20 ppg at age 20, and Magic was an 18 ppg, 7 assist, and 7 rpg guy his rookie year, when he was all of 20 (not to mention 2.4 steals per game).

Now, I know folks aren't saying these guys are going to all-time greats, but I would like to know which young Laker looks like a future All-Star, to you?

So your analysis is based on the fact that our young guys aren't putting up numbers comparable to Top 5-10 players of all time...?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker players not among stat leaders

Richcbt wrote:

dang, until I read this I thought we may win a ring this year we have a bunch of young talent with no Alpha yet...nobody is getting the minutes or shots to be among league leaders.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker players not among stat leaders

Batguano wrote:
Richcbt wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Richcbt wrote:

So your analysis is based on the fact that our young guys aren't putting up numbers comparable to Top 5-10 players of all time...?

Magic, LeBron and Kobe? That range is Top 1-6 all time LOL
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker players not among stat leaders

Richcbt wrote:

how many mins are the league leaders playing? Then let us know how many mins our guys are playing per game.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker players not among stat leaders

splashmtn wrote:
Richcbt wrote:

how many mins are the league leaders playing? Then let us know how many mins our guys are playing per game.
Yeah, the problem is they are not playing enough minutes. Look should shorten the rotation and actually play these guys starters minutes and see what they can do. Dlo is like 20ppg and 6apg per 36 minutes.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
but I would like to know which young Laker looks like a future All-Star, to you?

Ingram.

Quote:
Look at the stats of some of the greats, and you see some big numbers early on.

That's not the way of the modern NBA, especially when lots of stars are developed into All-Stars.

Nevermind the draft requires more development at the NBA level than it did in the past.

Every draft class is different.

Just look at last year's All Star team.

I'd argue that HALF of these guys didn't have "star statistics" compared to the other half, but no doubt, some of these guys are HOFers.

http://www.nba.com/allstar/2016/players/

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker players not among stat leaders

scoobs wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Richcbt wrote:

Yeah, the problem is they are not playing enough minutes. Look should shorten the rotation and actually play these guys starters minutes and see what they can do. Dlo is like 20ppg and 6apg per 36 minutes.
actually he shouldnt. all that will do is make us stat junkies feel good about our preferred young player.

"now look at my guy russell averaging 20 and 8... he's better than your guy.told ya "

we would still lose the same games we have lost this season.
Truth be told this is the direction of the entire league. where guys, not even stars play heavy mins to preserve your players and keep them away from few injuries that would normally pop up due to fatigue.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker players not among stat leaders

scoobs wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Richcbt wrote:

Even when you go by per-36 minutes, our guys don't have impressive individual stats. That's not surprising for .333 team that is 20th in the league in offense and 30th in defense.

Our hope is what these young guys can become in the future; not what they're showing us now. No reason to pretend we can tweak the stats to make these guys appear better than they are right now.
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
but I would like to know which young Laker looks like a future All-Star, to you?

Ingram.

Quote:

That's not the way of the modern NBA, especially when lots of stars are developed into All-Stars.

Nevermind the draft requires more development at the NBA level than it did in the past.

I'd argue that HALF of these guys didn't have "star statistics" compared to the other half, but no doubt, some of these guys are HOFers.

Actually, I would give the same answer...Ingram. I'm presuming that he'll find his stroke, and begin to be a major difference maker due to his defense and all-around abilities. My other pick would be...maybe...Randall, but I'm not sold on D-Lo being an all-star.

As for last year's all-stars, I'm hard-pressed to find any large number who didn't have star statistics. I mean, some of them, such as Wade or Pau, might have made it in part due to career renown and reputation, but overall they all look like bonafide stars to me.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Richcbt wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Ingram.

Quote:

Actually, I would give the same answer...Ingram. I'm presuming that he'll find his stroke, and begin to be a major difference maker due to his defense and all-around abilities. My other pick would be...maybe...Randall, but I'm not sold on D-Lo being an all-star.

As for last year's all-stars, I'm hard-pressed to find any large number who didn't have star statistics. I mean, some of them, such as Wade or Pau, might have made it in part due to career renown and reputation, but overall they all look like bonafide stars to me.

Some guys who become stars show it in their first couple of years; some don't, especially in this time of players only playing one year of college.

It's ridiculous to write any of our guys off; that said none of them has demonstrated they're going to be a special player. All we can do is cross our fingers and look for hints of promise.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Nick Young is in the top ten in points per possession:

(they have a typo on Bass being on LAL)

Also, no one gets enough minutes to compete in the top ten for anything anyway.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker players not among stat leaders

Richcbt wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Richcbt wrote:

Well, it's pretty safe to say none are top 5-10 all time greats. The only player in the league at that level right now is Lebron. Anthony Davis may have a chance if he has a 15-20 year career and wins 3+ rings, KAT same thing...other than that the next great one probably isn't in the league right now. So that is a silly argument I won't get into.

All stars?

DLO if he can get his 3 point shooting above .400 and start playing 36 minutes has a chance to at least make an allstar game or two. If he does that right now he is averaging 23/6/5 with almost 2 steals every 36. He would just need to shoot more and better and for the lakers to start winning. His passing can be great too, he just needs to pick his spots better. It's a possibility for him.

Randle will never be an allstar. I think his BBIQ is too low for his game to progress much further. He will improve his jump shot and have a workman like career. 15/9/6 would be his ceiling

Ingram, who knows. He doesn't seem to have the personality to be able to capture peoples interest, but neither does Kawhi and he's an allstar. I think Ingram will probably be a part of the next generation of all stars when the current guys move on in 5-6 years. Him and KAT and Giannis and Kylie and Anthony Davis and Kahwi and Ben Simmons and maybe Embiid all have a chance to be the next generation of auto picks for the all star game in 5+ years.

The problem with a lot of laker fans is that we are spoiled. Magic to Shaq to Kobe...we have had 3 of the top 10-15 of all time as the leader of our team for the past 30 years. That's not normal and with the CBA won't be possible anymore. You don't need an all time great to win a championship or two.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:

No surprise givem our egalitarian rotations for much of the season.
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
No surprise givem our egalitarian rotations for much of the season.

That is certainly a factor, in that guys aren't getting the usual starter's minutes, but I think it also works the other way; would Lou, JC, Junior, Tarik, etc., be getting big minutes if we had guys consistently performing great in the starter's role?

What success we've had this season has been mostly bench-related, in that we've fallen behind and come back with the bench guys, etc., when our reserves are going up against other team's reserves. Too bad there are frequent times when it looks like the wrong guys are starting.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: